Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's slay the "hype monster" once and for all

1235»

Comments

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Originally posted by GWFandaddy

Cash shop?  There's just no getting away from it is there?

Of course not. Face it, CS is the feature that has more potential to break GW2 than any concept/design/development mistake ANet could possibly make. And the fact that we have virtually no information about CS (except some cryptic and fairly contradictory statements) only adds to uncertainty and frustration.

And that's where both topics (CS and hype) get tightly intertwined. You can't hype GW2 w/o believing that the CS will be reasonable and everything you can buy there will be purely cosmetic/optional. As much as I'd like to believe this, I can't forget that all financial decisions will be made by NCSoft and that corporations can never be trusted. And ANet's refusal to discuss the CS openly only fuels my doubts.

Man honestly, listen to what your saying. You admit that not much is known about the CS so your worried and frustrated? Really? WHY? It's not even logical for us to assume the worsed until given reason to. Also it's certainly not true that there is no information released about the CS. Please don't go by what you read from non-informed posters and go research for yourself. Every detail is not released but there is at least some info to give a very good persprective on how it will operate. Your frustration seems to be coming from a lack of patience and misinformation. Lets not spout off absolute statements before getting all the evidence to support...

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by Scripture1

Lets not spout off absolute statements before getting all the evidence to support...

What do you consider your post?

All they have given is generalizations.   A convience item to them is same whether it gives your character a 10% boost to exp or instantly turns your character to level 80.    Just like a boost item is the same whether it gives +1 stat or allows you to defeat your enemy with one hit.  There is a reason we don't have specific information about every item in the cash shop. 

If they thought that a large portion of the their players would like the cash shop, then wouldn't it be wise to get people hyped about it?

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by thinktank001

Lets not spout off absolute statements before getting all the evidence to support...

What do you consider your post?

All they have given is generalizations.   A convience item to them is same whether it gives your character a 10% boost to exp or instantly turns your character to level 80.    Just like a boost item is the same whether it gives +1 stat or allows you to defeat your enemy with one hit.  There is a reason we don't have specific information about every item in the cash shop. 

If they thought that a large portion of the their players would like the cash shop, then wouldn't it be wise to get people hyped about it?

Ok, yep, you convinced me alright... ArenaNet is out to get me, it's gonna be a bait and switch, and they are not going to release all the information about a particular feature and focus on that until I have filled my heart to content because they clearly have something to hide.... yeah, conspiracy theorist are we?

First, I think the fact that they gave you enough information to figure out as much as you stated above goes to show Anet couldn't care less about keeping something like that a secrete. So we dont have specific information about the CS, so? The game will be released soon enough, you either will or wont buy it at which point you will get to experience the CS in all it's glory. Until then, saying that you are frustrated about something because you clearly don't have "specific" information on  ONE particular feature is asinine; I personaly feel that there are so many other aspects of the game to focus on that them not making a huge noise is not about them hiding anything but wrather their way of marketing a product that they want to look apealing to the entire market of potential customers. Believe it or not, not everyone is singing about the CS because of the other major expectations that were mentioned. 

Another thing; I could see if there would be items besides gems in the cash shop that were not attainable in the game, then I would say it's an issue but I'm quite certain there will be other avenues of obtaining an item in game that has the equivelent stats as 1+ you mentioned or ability to one-shot an opponent. 

Don't sweat the small stuff.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

It's not even logical for us to assume the worsed until given reason to.
    Silence is a reason to expect something bad. Of course ANet couldn't be completely silent about the CS but to date they've only said some weird things like "it doesn't really matter what is in the store". That's another reason to worry because we know that they know it's simply not true. Even if players can buy gems in game it still doesn't have to be true. You need time to farm gold and there's only so much time you can invest. It's very easy to make prices prohibitively high forcing people to either use the CS or quit.

There's also a good blog post on the subject:
    http://my.mmosite.com/1cd10251c16a43d090e2399862b464a2/blog/ritem/97fe1133345ab8db5b46388c211ef910.html

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Rememebr Allods? All through Beta, it was going to revolutionize F2P. Then the Final CS reveal. 
    Well, in all honesty I don't think GW2 CS can end up anywhere close to Allods Online CS. :) You see, Allods... an F2P game developed in Russia couldn't be any different. I'm from Russia myself. Here everyone (I mean everyone) wants to rip you off and they won't even be subtle about it. It's considered normal. It's the very nature of all business here.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

GW 2 won't be perfect but it's going to be pretty damned good.

<- Pre purchased minutes after it went live.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Yeah, I just feel excited for a game. I played GW and I'm just dieing to see GW2. It's not like I'm feed with news how-great-and-super-uber-game-is and false advertising (SWTOR?).

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

To the posters "GWFandaddy" and "Heartless": don't you see anything wrong in doing long topic-derailing "jokes" such as the ones you've been doing for several posts? 

It is precisely such actions that enhances the amount of "rabidness" in the GW2forum, no matter what stance the posters involved have in regard to GW2. 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

The thread has gone off the rails and mostly off topic.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.