Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I pre-purchased instead of waiting.

evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Some people seem to take issue with the idea that others are willing to spend their hard-earned money (or their parents' money if that's the case) on a game that's still in beta, under at least a partial NDA and has no release date.  Here are my reasons:

1)  I have been playing GW1 for 5 1/2 years and it is still one of my all time favorite games.

2)  As far as companies go, Arena.Net is one of the better ones, IMO.  Mainly because they seem to be pretty fair minded in their pricing and I have yet to see them reneg on their promises.  In short, I trust them.

3)  No subscription fee.  For me this is a big one.  There are many, many games out there I would love to play but, on principle, I refuse to pay a sub fee for a game.

4)  I have looked at many gameplay videos and they all look pretty awesome.  Not to mention fun.

5)  The lore.

6)  The different playable races.   I love the norn!

7)  The items that I've seen in the Cash Shop don't bother me in the least.  (Not to say it couldn't ever, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it)

8)  I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 since they announced it, so this is one way I can get a step closer to playing it.

9)  Because of the above reasons, I was going to buy the game anyway, so why not do the pre-purchase, get guaranteed access to the beta weekends (haven't ever done that, so I'm pretty excited about that), and the three day head start - so I can start playing for real even sooner!

So, what were your reasons for pre-purchasing?  Or, if I'm walking over your bridge, feel free to berate me for it.

Disclaimer:  #7 is only there to illustrate a reason why I pre-purchased the game, NOT to start another flame war over it, so please refrain from doing so.  Thanks.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Comments

• Why I pre-purchased instead of waiting....

TO PLAY THE GAME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!

Basically that's it - it's fine that it's beta - I have the huge joy of deciding what to play at launch and I honestly can find something to like about all the professions and all the races.  The more time I get playing the game I figure the easier my choice will be - there again they could all be awesome and then what will I do?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by evolver1972

Some people seem to take issue with the idea that others are willing to spend their hard-earned money (or their parents' money if that's the case) on a game that's still in beta, under at least a partial NDA and has no release date.  Here are my reasons:

1)  I have been playing GW1 for 5 1/2 years and it is still one of my all time favorite games.

2)  As far as companies go, Arena.Net is one of the better ones, IMO.  Mainly because they seem to be pretty fair minded in their pricing and I have yet to see them reneg on their promises.  In short, I trust them.

3)  No subscription fee.  For me this is a big one.  There are many, many games out there I would love to play but, on principle, I refuse to pay a sub fee for a game.

4)  I have looked at many gameplay videos and they all look pretty awesome.  Not to mention fun.

5)  The lore.

6)  The different playable races.   I love the norn!

7)  The items that I've seen in the Cash Shop don't bother me in the least.  (Not to say it couldn't ever, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it)

8)  I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 since they announced it, so this is one way I can get a step closer to playing it.

9)  Because of the above reasons, I was going to buy the game anyway, so why not do the pre-purchase, get guaranteed access to the beta weekends (haven't ever done that, so I'm pretty excited about that), and the three day head start - so I can start playing for real even sooner!

So, what were your reasons for pre-purchasing?  Or, if I'm walking over your bridge, feel free to berate me for it.

Disclaimer:  #7 is only there to illustrate a reason why I pre-purchased the game, NOT to start another flame war over it, so please refrain from doing so.  Thanks.

great post, I totally agree with your reasons and most apply to me but there is a stickied thread for this and it will probably be locked :( See you in game maybe and enjoy yourself =D

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

The OP doesn't really make sense. You were going to buy the game regardless so why not let the money gather interest in your account rather than theirs? It's your money.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Originally posted by Kabaal

The OP doesn't really make sense. You were going to buy the game regardless so why not let the money gather interest in your account rather than theirs? It's your money.

Have you had a look at interest rates lately?  It's not exactly the late 1970s anymore.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

LOL...good point....

I would have to say that the beta access and head start is worth the few bucks (at most) I lose on the interest.  :)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Why did I pre-purchase? Because I wanted to.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

60-200$ over ~3-6months doesn't generate a whole lot of interest. Especially during the summer. He could've bought a pretty sweet stick of gum w/ that money though... maybe that's more valuable than beta time. To each his own I suppose.

His point is basically: He was going to buy the game anyway, he had the money for it saved. Might as well just buy it now, and get to play it sooner rather than later. I dunno, sounds pretty logical to me. But hey, to each his own.