Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did SWTOR's disappointment make people wary of GW2 or is it payback?

Comments

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

There is an institutional thing.  The sites that are hyping it (this one for example) are sort of leading the cheer and attracting an audience that very much likes it.  After all you will return to an opinion-news site that agrees with your view.  In the last month I've read no less than three articles on this website that have nothing to say other than THIS GAME IS AWESOMEZOMGZORS.

A large part of it is how nonsensical the posts become.  It was mostly the same with SWTOR.  People were claiming that Bioware created the first MMO using voice acted quests.  It was the second.... or the third..... or the fourth...

Now you have the exact same thing going on with Guild Wars 2.  If you think anything is wrong with the game you get called skill-less and some sort of lesser person.

The same thing happened for every other MMO launch because the websites where you discuss them facilitate the hype.

It has come to the point where game developers have hired professional forum posters to hype their game on popular forums.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

It always sad to see threads with some sort of recentment over a video game. I can only image how many folks bitch and whine about the stupidest things IRL as they feel justified with little or no composure at all.

it's your failure and your bad experiance not mine. Both games offer something great for some of us, with the understanding there is always room for improvements.

Seems like many of you are expecting PERFECTION right out of the gates. All I can say do some of us a favor and just go to your corner with your tissue box because it's never going happen.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Loke666

Funny, as I remember it TOR and the games before it got plenty of negative posts before launch and GW2 have been higher than TOR on the hype meter for the last 2 years.

"Let´s trash the next large game" is a popular troll activety. 

There are of course the soccer fan type of trolls that decide one game is perfect and trash all possible competitors which did lead to a flame war between TOR fans and the rest from 2 months before TORs launch until 2 months after and some of the TOR fans are still mad but most of it are the same old trolling.

If it seemd more to you just after TORs launch it was because plenty of players actually wrote an honest review and more than a few of those were negative but it isn't trolling to write a single review explaining your views, that is actually what you should be doing on a forum.

Trolls are the people who write the same crap over and over, often is it wrong and many of them never even tried the game in question.

Agreed.  I think a lot of those bashing GW2 are current TOR fans.  I get the feeling they feel threatened by GW2 and fear to some extent it may take subs away from TOR.  That is a valid fear to some extent. 

Thats the only real agenda for some of them as I see it, because a lot of the bashing is centered on seriously weak arguments or complaints regarding GW2 as a whole.   They've complained about the cash shop, trying to label the game as P2W, and now there's several threads talking about how the mmorpg.com GW2 community is going to keep them from playing the game.  Which has to be one of the most pathetic of the arguments.   When you can find no fault in the game, start desperately trying to find fault with the "fanboys".  Right. 

Ive seen some good debate on some issues with GW2, from concerned fans.  But Ive also seen a very large majority of seriously weak attempts to imply GW2 isnt worth playing, and Im starting to think it must be coming mostly from TOR fans.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by troublmaker

It has come to the point where game developers have hired professional forum posters to hype their game on popular forums.

Which is kind of what I'm saying...

Looking at the negative posts about GW2, there seems to be too many SWTOR fans and new accounts with very few posts, grasping at straws trying to discredit the game at such an early stage.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Who cares about hype? Are people incapable of making up their own mind? If you like the game, good for you! If you hate the game, good for you too!

It doesn't make you a smarter, better person for liking it or hating it because it's a freaking video game.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by heartless

Who cares about hype? Are people incapable of making up their own mind? If you like the game, good for you! If you hate the game, good for you too!

It doesn't make you a smarter, better person for liking it or hating it because it's a freaking video game.

But I have graphs...

and I have references...

and I have imaginary calculations...

and I have +12yrs MMOing on my back...

doesn't that count for something?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

Originally posted by StoneRoses

But I have graphs...

and I have references...

and I have imaginary calculations...

and I have +12yrs MMOing on my back...

doesn't that count for something?

Not to me but I'm sure someone will appreciate your dedication.

PS: I hope that you were being sarcastic. :P

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

There are many videos from beta around the Web. And they will continue to pop-up, which means, there is going to be more criticism. This game better be good. Some people are at the brink of quiting MMOs. Sad indeed.

This game could make you breakfast and  shit 10k carrot diamonds, but will still be bashed out of the sheer fact of it being so high up in hype. The bigger they are the harder they get bashed.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think for me ToR was just the last straw..

I refuse to preorder any future MMO ,no matter how good it sounds on paper.

too many let downs..

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

I would say in a tight knit community as we have here on MMORPG, yes. However, outside the bubble, I doubt it. I purchased the CE edition of SWTOR, I will never do that again with any game, however, I will pre-order GW 2. I've done my research and feel the beta access and 3 day head start is well worth it.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by jacklo

There seems to be a mass of threads about GW2 hype around at the moment.

For the life of me I don't see much hype at all from official sources, certainly nothing compared to what I experienced with SWTOR.

Is it a case that the bad experience of SWTOR has made everyone ultra wary or is it something else?

Reading between the lines I see a lot of negative posts coming from SWTOR fans and have to wonder is this some kind of grudge match?

SWTOR actually had relatively few negative posts until almost a month after release and those were quickly stomped on by fans.

GW2 has yet to reach open beta and is already receiving more than it's fair share of criticism. To make matters worse, there seems to be little to complain about other than 'HYPE'.

Play fair guys, at least let the game get out the door before trashing it. This hate train looks manufactured otherwise.

I'm confused here, how can you be disappointed about SWTOR when MANY of us made post after post outlining what was wrong with SWTOR, and that IF you still bought & played SWTOR you were playing it for the story ALONE & nothing else.

Complaining about the fact that SWTOR was "disappointing" is like complaining to the FDA that smoking gave you cancer. It's literally on the box & in plain view that it gives you cancer. As such, SWTOR had more than 40+ threads here on this forum ALONE (regardless of the more than 900+ around other news sites) detailing exactly why SWTOR would be "disappointing" or quite simply a "Failure" for non-story single-player centric players of SWTOR.

-Faded

You have a very good point except for one thing....people still complain that smoking gives them cancer.  Just because the signs are all there doesn't mean that people will actually pay attention.  How else can you play the victim?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Just like I told Bad Spock, that type of logical thinking does not belong here.  Shame on you heartless!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

I wasn't disappointed with SwTor....... I never bought it because I knew it would be horrible because of the IP. Star Wars is the most overrated media monster out there.  I'm pretty sure you could label poop as Star Wars chocolate and people would buy it. 

Plus BioWare to me is also overrated especially after what they did with Mass Effect 3.  So many suckers are out there paying a monthly fee for a single player game. 

Why would I be wary of GW2? Its not made by EA or BioWare 

Guild Wars 1 was a huge success being that it came from designers from WoW who wanted to do something different. These same designers/developers are making GW2 so why should I be worried? 

GW2= GW1 evolved = win 

-I am here to perform logic

Originally posted by evolver1972

Just like I told Bad Spock, that type of logical thinking does not belong here.  Shame on you heartless!

You're right! I guess I should know better by now.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

why do i see so many "dissapointment" threads linked to SWTOR?? 

Honestly, I thought the game was gonna fail miserably because of it being a WoW clone, and many people were jaded by that fact which I expected.  But I've also seen a few of my friends play it, and the reviews on it are pretty good, and the sales of the game were respectable.  The game is obviously pretty decent, if not good.  So why so much hate for SWTOR?

Sure, it's no GW2, but come on, show love not hate.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

I don't really care either way.

If GW2 is successful, than we have a great game that will change the genre.

If it's a flop, than it will finally kill the worst genre ever conceieved of

Win win, really.

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by slicknslim88

why do i see so many "dissapointment" threads linked to SWTOR?? 

Honestly, I thought the game was gonna fail miserably because of it being a WoW clone, and many people were jaded by that fact which I expected.  But I've also seen a few of my friends play it, and the reviews on it are pretty good, and the sales of the game were respectable.  The game is obviously pretty decent, if not good.  So why so much hate for SWTOR?

Sure, it's no GW2, but come on, show love not hate.

"Herp derp, here's WoW with talking"

That's all SWTOR is. I shit you not, if the 200 million figure is true, they spent more on marketing than development. That's why everyone hates it.

Because it's indicitive of everything Electronic Arts represents

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I did get my dollar an hour's worth out of SWTOR.

Thats about it though. Can't reccomend it. 

My analogy is;

It's not really a themepark, more like just one rollercoaster. With a roach infested pvp nacho cart parked out front.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think most of the disappointment comes from Ex-wow players. They came in expecting something different and all they got was WoW with a SW reskin. I was genuinely interested in SWOTOR before I saw lengthy videos of the gameplay. Having just left WoW I saw some similarities that concerned me greatly. I waited until after release to see if it was worth the time but it didn't click for me. 

Gw2 fans might just be bored and angry that their game isn't out yet. :P 

I think the people who DO like swotor are people who have no played wow or weren't that attatched to it. Not going to go into SW fanboys because that's their choice. They might be the other disappointed group after having played SWG.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I disagree, but I think that people that were looking for an experience swtor wasn't offering, will find interest in gw2's and thats what brought all the hype.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by colddog04

It's payback!

You came on our forums and crushed our hopes and dreams and now we're coming to yours! 

And when GW2 pans out

and SWTOR still hasnt?

Laughs on you.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by jacklo

There seems to be a mass of threads about GW2 hype around at the moment.

For the life of me I don't see much hype at all from official sources, certainly nothing compared to what I experienced with SWTOR.

Is it a case that the bad experience of SWTOR has made everyone ultra wary or is it something else?

Reading between the lines I see a lot of negative posts coming from SWTOR fans and have to wonder is this some kind of grudge match?

SWTOR actually had relatively few negative posts until almost a month after release and those were quickly stomped on by fans.

GW2 has yet to reach open beta and is already receiving more than it's fair share of criticism. To make matters worse, there seems to be little to complain about other than 'HYPE'.

Play fair guys, at least let the game get out the door before trashing it. This hate train looks manufactured otherwise.

After re reading your original post I forgot to add my main point to my other post.

The lack of coverage on GW2 on certain other video game sites leads me to believe that GW2 has a smaller advertising budget than some other games.

I do agree it's not getting much play right now outside of MMO sites.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

if you actually look at the "negative" GW2 posts, theyre usually nonsensical trolls. the arguments usually dont make sense, or it's being written by some super bitter vet. i consider GW2 to actually be bitter-vet-friendly.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by Theonenoni

I wasn't disappointed with SwTor....... I never bought it because I knew it would be horrible because of the IP. Star Wars is the most overrated media monster out there.  I'm pretty sure you could label poop as Star Wars chocolate and people would buy it. 

Plus BioWare to me is also overrated especially after what they did with Mass Effect 3.  So many suckers are out there paying a monthly fee for a single player game. 

Why would I be wary of GW2? Its not made by EA or BioWare 

Guild Wars 1 was a huge success being that it came from designers from WoW who wanted to do something different. These same designers/developers are making GW2 so why should I be worried? 

GW2= GW1 evolved = win 

Except I didn't care for Guild Wars.

But I love everything I've seen of GW2.

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Yep, SWTOR made me wary of puting my money up front.  What a rip-off.

What I don't like is how ncsoft USED us for publicity, by sending us emails asking us to sign up for the beta, when they had no intention of giving us access unless we give them a **** load of money.

I will wait, I am not going to get screwed again.