Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

Comments

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by kompleksaki

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

hahahaha, like 5 months ago I said that the box and expansions would be more expensive than other mmos. Oh man, how much fodder I caught for that. 

Glad to see I can say " I told you so". 

hahahaha, i still paid 60 euros for GW2,same price as SW:TOR. The only overpricing is going on is for brittish people and they can still get it cheaper if they do a little research.  

Glad to see people not being able to use their brain.

British people might be able to get it cheaper if they shopped around, like me. But what I originally made this post on was ArenaNets stupidity (or arrogance?) at charging it at 60 pounds on their website. 10-20 pounds more than every other game. So yeah, use your brain, read my post.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I get that. My point is we cant change the pricing model, so calling it expensive is moot.  At the end of the day you have a choice. You will either eat the 80 dollars and be able to play, or say its not fair and not play.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd pay 85 dollars - why?  Because I want to play the game.  I've spent more on less.  Is it a waste?  No one can determine that but me, and I can tell you for me its a good value. I never use cash shops and I play F2P games. Now, throw in a monthly sub and then I'd have to re-consider.  But at no point would I be complaining about the price (difference). I simply speak with my wallet (i.e. - you aint getting whats in it if I feel its too high).

So the real question is how bad do you want to play?  And what are you willing to pay to do it?

I think asking whether or not ANet's price will work in the UK or not is worth discussing.

Ill accept that.  How do you determine if it works or not?  I would suspect its dependent on sales... which with all the hype (justified or not) should make it lucrative to the point they wont change it.

What do you think?

Actually Im still curious... do you plan to pre-purchase or even buy the game at the current price?? :-)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

However, both cosmetically and merchant-wise it is definitely pay to win. Although those aspects are not as important as PvE and PvP, they are sufficiently important for a significant amount of people.

How do you 'win' cosmetically?  You have more things to wear than I do?  I fail to see the advantage (other than envy that I couldnt have it without buying) - but thats hardly winning imo.

I think people take the whole cash shop pay 2 win thing too seriously.  I have to grind "longer" then someone who bought xp packs? ok. Guess Im lucky, for me its not the destination but the journey...

Did you play GW1?

For many people the GW1 'endgame' was cosmetic items.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Originally posted by leinad312

So ANet is screwing Europeans over with exchange rates, simple solution is to just not buy the game.

Solution for which problem, exactly? I am suspecting you haven't understood the actual problem. 

The problem is that ANet is not accounting for exchange rates, that's why games in the EU are standardly priced at 35-40 euros. ANet is basically doing a 1:1 dollar to euro conversion, which is not the going exchange rate.

So, if one European doesn't buy the game, Arenanet will change their plans regarding pricing? If that doesn't happen, the problem isn't solved, now is it?

If more than one European doesn't buy the game, then ANet may change their plans. Stop with the strawman arguments.

Then it is not for certain a solution, it may be a solution; but that is far from certain. You are the one that claimed that you had a solution, which you evidently didn't.

Of course its not for certain, we're dealing with human variables. I'm simply talking about price equilibrium based on consumer demand.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

The thing is Pure, i'm just not sure you are going to be impressed, because you have it in your head that you won't be.  I've watched your comments ever since the Aion Source days so you aren't anything new to me, however, i have always had a lot of respect for your posts and usually look forward to them.  

The end game won't be there, and no i'm not spouting the "the whole thing is end game" stuff.  It simply isn't there.  Will that keep the hardcore raiders?  Most likely not. They were never intended to be kept or even drawn in to this game.

Your points about lots of folks in the DE's and WvW is valid and will remain so until seen with the eyes of the masses. 

None of that means anything to me, because i was a huge fan of the first game (aside from not being able to jump), and i know exactly what i'm getting from Anet.  I'm not jaded or delusional even when it comes to the hypetrain that has surrounded this game.  I have seen countless posters, on this site especially, fill a derigibal of hot air when it comes to this game simply because they want it to be The One.  They want it to finally be the one that doesn't feel like it ripped them off or tricked them, because they last couple of years has been full of that.

Will it be any of that for them?  Hell i have no idea, but it will be for me because i have been anticipating my return to Tyria for several years as i loved the GW1 for being just GW1.  Not the fact that it was a Corpg, or i couldn't jump, or the heavy instancing. I loved the game, it's difficulty, and the fact that it took me somewhere else when i played it, unlike most titles i could name in today's market.  The whole reason some of us play these games is because they take us somewhere else for just a little while.  That's why i pre-ordered this game without a second thought.  I know what i'm buying.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

However, both cosmetically and merchant-wise it is definitely pay to win. Although those aspects are not as important as PvE and PvP, they are sufficiently important for a significant amount of people.

How do you 'win' cosmetically?  You have more things to wear than I do?  I fail to see the advantage (other than envy that I couldnt have it without buying) - but thats hardly winning imo.

I think people take the whole cash shop pay 2 win thing too seriously.  I have to grind "longer" then someone who bought xp packs? ok. Guess Im lucky, for me its not the destination but the journey...

Winning cosmetically depends on what those that actually care about vanity that much think is worth competing about; It can be as simple as 

"I have a larger collection of hard-to-get outfits than you have."

"My outfit is far more exclusive than anything you have."

"I have a larger collections of outfits."

In order to know whether or not something is "pay to win", the competition needs to be defined. Even if you don't care about certain types of competitions, that doesn't mean that other people won't either.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Did you play GW1?

Different faction armors and weapons, not costumes sold in GW1's cash shop.

It'll be the same way here. The costumes sold in the cash shop are not going to be part of the endgame.

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by evolver1972

You're right, the price of this game is ridiculous.....ridiculously cheap compared to most AAA MMOs!  Considering you have no sub fees to pay once you buy, it's a pretty good deal, I say.  The price of this game is not really any different than most games coming out nowadays, so I don't see a problem.

But, if you don't like it, that's cool.  I'll be enjoying it for quite a while before you decide it's a low enough price for you.

Well if you want to be that way.

Then Guild Wars is totally overpriced for  a Cash shop game. Most games with a cash shop are free.

Interesting...

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Blizz just released a new $10 pet

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001914

If you really think the boxes are overpriced than buy/pre-order/pre-purchase it from one of the retailers. In most cases they're 10% cheaper and you still get the bonuses.

As for me i purchased the SE. I don't really need the extras.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Valua

Originally posted by Reskaillev

Ok for all the idiots:

I pay 60 euros for GW2 and...I never pay again...

I pay 40 euros for wow (at launch! Let's make it cheap) and pay 15 euros every month!

THUS:

If I play wow  for 2 months I have paid 70 euros!! WHICH means that gw2 is cheaper then wow AND all other subscription model mmorpgs that are out there!

now stop whining and go flush yourself in some toilet please..

But what if I've never played and paid for WoW or any other sub game. 

I paid for the Global Agenda box, 30 pounds, I won't pay 60 pounds for GW2 which is also a B2PF2P(with cash shop) game.

I guess it depends on what you feel you're getting for the money. I don't think GW2 has released any information on the amount of actual content in-game in terms of hours. I believe that they have indicated "thousands" of events and "hundreds" of areas to discover that are not shown on the map (underwater areas, hidden areas, etc), not including personal story and that each personal story has branching arcs. And I don't know about the replayability when leveling an alt, though I assume that it will be high given the nature of dynamic events (you may not get the same thing walking through the same area depending where the event is on the pendulum). Whether or not its 50 hours or 100 hours or hundreds of hours there is also the issue of whether or not the content is actually "fun". And finally, you have to consider what happens when you reach "the end" (I would assume level 80) and how entertained you can keep those folks. Compare all this to the price you are paying and then people have to decide if it's worth it. This risk/reward seems reasonable, based on past experience with ANet, at least to me.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Xexv

Originally posted by colddog04

The price of this game is standard.

PC games do not typically sell for £50 in the UK.

I have said this 5 times today already, but you guys refuse to listen, prefering to repeat the same moan.

I bought the game for £39.99 for the GF today.

Where is your mental block on that information?

Go and look at Play.com.

Guess this needs to be reposted.

Stop crying and read ^

Here, I'll help with a link. This is geting insane.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/31123030/Guild-Wars-2-Pre-Purchase/Product.html?searchstring=guild+wars+2&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

I love seen Euro players QQ over a few pounds/quid....The U.S Dollar is 1=0.76 to the pound...QQ..Pay more or don't play. Your country has a stronger $$$ because you have a better +surplus/deficit where as the U.S has a -surplus/deficit.(Thats a whole diffrent can of worms of Economical debates that isn't worth discussing) ArenaNet is American owned(Yes I know Ncsoft has % share of them which is unbeknown to anyone outside of the share holders committee.). Pay the U.S price or don'y pay at all. So what if SWOTR/WOW and other MMO'S didn't charge the EU price. This is G2 not WoW or SWOTR. If a few pounds is such an issue then you to need adjust your priorities. As far as the micro-transactions that's your argument? That the game should be cheaper because there going to allow “cosmetics only transactions” Foolish thinking. I think you should do some research and see if this game is for you. If your complaining about purchasing it before it even has a launch date you may not like when you actually have to buy an expansion down the road. (Just my two cents) Most people who QQ about the price of launch don't stay for too long.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Xexv

Originally posted by colddog04
    The price of this game is standard.

PC games do not typically sell for £50 in the UK.

I have said this 5 times today already, but you guys refuse to listen, prefering to repeat the same moan.
    I bought the game for £39.99 for the GF today.
    Where is your mental block on that information?
    Go and look at Play.com.

There's no mental block mate, afaik the original discussion was commenting on the asking price from ANet and I was pointing out £50 is not commonplace. I've already pre-purchased.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Use a sliding-scale of "need to play":

If game GW2 = Awesome; price "£50" = MMORPG DEAL OF THE DECADE!* 

If game GW2 = Alrighty!; price "£50" = Fair Trade

If game GW2 = meh; price "£50" = Does not matter anyway...

*Do the maths vs sub games; assuming the game is awesome ;)

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Good post Valua. But its a free market.. if they sell it for X and players buy it.. then maybe the price should have been X.

It all comes down to what the client thinks the product value is.

They clearly aiming for buyers who believe that will be buying the best game ever from the last and from a few years to come :)

If they manage to suceed.. ill have to congratulate their marketing machine for it. You can see so many posts about the pre-order phase around several websites... so its indeed a bit marketing operation for sure :]

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Did you play GW1?

This is very true.

A lot of people fail to grasp that tailoring the appearence of their character to a lot of folks is very much part of PvE progression.

Building their character's look is very much part of their journey.

In PvE anything that improves your character in your eyes is 'winning'.

• pags411pags411 Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by EduardoASG

They clearly aiming for buyers who believe that will be buying the best game ever from the last and from a few years to come :)

That's not clear to me.  I certainly don't view the game in this light, but I'm willing to pay their price for it.  It seems very reasonable.  This is the same amount I pay for any game without a subscription fee.  It sounds to me like they're aiming for buyers who buy video games.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I haven't seen another game cost 50 pounds. Can anyone tell me which game costs 50 pounds?

Also games in the UK do not normally cost more than in the US. Sometimes a game is cheaper in the UK sometimes it's cheaper in the US.

But I agree with the OP. 50 pounds is a ripoff. However, I will still buy the game because I am a GW fanboy and I love GW. However, I will not prepurchase the game because I don't care about beta access. But I will definitely buy it at launch and I am 100% sure it will cost much less than 50 pounds.

Originally posted by Nadia

Guild Wars2 and Diablo3  *cost the same*  in the USA

Diablo 3 costs 45 pounds from Blizzard's store, GW2 costs 49.99 in ArenaNet's store. You can buy both games retail, Diablo 3 is 30 pounds whereas GW's 39.99.  Here in the UK Diablo 3 is muuuuuuuuuuuuuch cheaper :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

Dear OP and other complainers. Get a job

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Caponestyle

Dear OP and other complainers. Get a job

I have a job in investment banking, thank you very much. I earn more than enough.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Great news. Since your the expert on investments. Quit investing hours of  your time complaining about ten bucks cheapscate

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Great news. Since your the expert on investments. Quit investing hours of  your time complaining about ten bucks cheapscate

If he's the expert then why are you advising him?

• pags411pags411 Member Posts: 98

From reading some recent comments, it sounds like this game does cost more in EU.  If that's the case, I would wonder what the reasoning might be.  I don't see a reason for EU to pay more than US.  However, I'm sure there's a way to purchase this for the US price considering the market power of the internet.

Im advising him because its common sence. duhh lol

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48

I don't know what your game prices in europe are like but in america GW2's prices are pretty much the going rate, it's probably something local messing it up.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by pierth

If he's the expert then why are you advising him?

<Snipe>

Investment bankers need all the advice they can get. Look at what they did to the world economy!! ;)

</Snipe>

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

This discussion has been closed.