Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is a 3000 dollar gaming PC Pay 2 Win?

paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Is a 3000 dollar gaming PC pay2win?

Just an honest question. In all the pay to win conversations going on around here I seldom see much mention of the PC's that some gamers have while most people have a Dell or a Wal Mart or Best Buy PC with a new video card maybe.

Is buying the best possible bandwith speed pay2win?

I know there are sever tiers here where I live with the roadrunner service.

If these things ARE NOT pay2win, then what is ?

Where is the line drawn?

Sorry if this aspect has been covered before. I must have missed it. I am however, genuinely curious where people think the line is drawn. It is not like you can go buy a thousand dollar better Xbox.

TYIA

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Comments

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210
    If you pawn it to buy cash shop items it is. =P

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

No, because higher graphical settings don't give you a real gameplay advantage, with only the exception of a higher monitor resolution in a relative handful of games.

More bandwidth might reduce the time it takes to download the game, but that's all it will do for you.  Online games don't take much bandwidth while you're playing them.

Besides, beyond about $1500 spent wisely and excluding peripherals, spending more doesn't really get you much.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Luckly with PC we still have freedom of choice buying a expensive rig or cheap crappy PC or laptop.

If it help a little who cares you pay alot for it but its not like console market where every gaming machine is same thank god we PC gamers still have this freedom fo choice.

You can have rig that cost 5000 euro and still suck in gaming hehe.

Good internet connection and PC will help mainly in fast pace games like FPS shooters or RTS games.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

I remember a very old discussion about WoW when people who were using three screens were accused of cheating. Don't know if it's still valid but hell I was laughing so hard reading that discussion.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

You make a decent point, but when people complain about pay to win in a game they are generally referring to things that the developer has direct control over. The developer cannot control what type of PC you use or what connection you have, but they can control what is sold in the cash shop or allowing players to get away with buying gold online.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It's not been covered because it's plain silly as far as buying a more expensive PC goes. Broadband availability and pipelines between where you live and a games servers also have nothing to do with consumer cost.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,374

One could argue that having better hardware/internet connections etc might give you a P2W edge, but it really just points out the folly of endlessly trying to make these games "fair" (outright hacking not withstanding)

Play your game, do the best you can, and accept the fact that sometimes you are going to lose through no real fault (or control) of your own.

In the end, they are just games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I would say a great connection would be Pay-2-Win, having a very low ping compared to others with higher ping gives you a large advantage in PVP.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by Quizzical

No, because higher graphical settings don't give you a real gameplay advantage, with only the exception of a higher monitor resolution in a relative handful of games.

More bandwidth might reduce the time it takes to download the game, but that's all it will do for you.  Online games don't take much bandwidth while you're playing them.

Besides, beyond about $1500 spent wisely and excluding peripherals, spending more doesn't really get you much.

Not going to argue with you Quzzical because I know i lose. I know you are very cool and know your hardware much better than a layman like me. I actually followed advice you gave some one else on an upgrade.

But,

A gaming PC , an expensive one 1500.00 that quizzical built, would that be  an advantage over an average 700 dollar tower someone gets at a best buy type store?

Thank You all for your Opinions. I am genuinely curious what everyone who responded thinks even if I can't respond to each.

(Had to rephrase my question it was originally ambigious.)

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Originally posted by paulytheb

Originally posted by Quizzical

Not going to argue with you Quzzical because I know i lose. I know you are very cool and know your hardware much better than a layman like me. I actually followed advice you gave some one else on an upgrade.

But,

A gaming PC , an expensive one 1500.00 in your words, would be an advantage over a store bought?

Thank You all for your Opinions. I am genuinely curious what everyone who responded thinks even if I can't respond to each.

The "advantage" is that you would get better components over the store prebuilt.......more for your money.  Your paying for labor and their know how putting it together.  You buy individual components, your paying for just the components  =  more for your money no?  That is the advantage!

After a certain price point...what your really paying for is bells and whistles.  Higher resolution graphics, cooling capabilities, ability to overclock....etc.   Most games will run on a budget comp easily when in game setting are set accordingly.  The problem is, everyone wants to try to max the game out and then expect no lag or problems when the comp cant handle it.....things need to be set accordingly.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Yes it is, and you don't need it, just rely on skill and send it to me...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Hi.

I have purchased a 3.380 dollar pc about a week ago (not including the screens, keyboard/mouse, sound system etc)

I didnt know that i was cheating :D BUT if i was, well at least i know i enjoy cheating this way.

After all, we all know that owning expensive pieces of machinery is not really about improving our personal gaming experiences,

but

it is rather about putting our system specs on our profiles and signatures on the forums etc so that we can make others jealeus :XD

BUT to be SERIOUS; UNLESS we are talking about a purely reflex-based PVP game that CANNOT be run EVEN on the LOWEST settings - UNLESS YOU HAVE A  10.000+ dollar machine - it ain't cheating, IMHO :P

So,, yes, any1 who has a better system than mine should be shot on sight!

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

The "advantage" is that you would get better components over the store prebuilt.......more for your money.  Your paying for labor and their know how putting it together.  You buy individual components, your paying for just the components  =  more for your money no?  That is the advantage!

After a certain price point...what your really paying for is bells and whistles.  Higher resolution graphics, cooling capabilities, ability to overclock....etc.   Most games will run on a budget comp easily when in game setting are set accordingly.  The problem is, everyone wants to try to max the game out and then expect no lag or problems when the comp cant handle it.....things need to be set accordingly.

Sorry, I should have worded that better. Editing original post to better explain.

I didn't ask my question correctly the second time. Thank you for your opinion and for pointing out my mistake.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Well, I wouldn't say pay to win, but I remember when I got cable internet back when I was playing UO when it was new, and you could really tell a difference in movement speed, reactions and such...

It gave you an advantage, and in some of these games with a lot of graphic effects, that have higher end graphics, if someone is lagging, like I use to on my old crappy computer that was 1 level down from what was supported for DAoC, when it got to be 200-300 people on in one area in RvR, it was lag...lag...lag...you are dead...

So by some people definitions on these forums, yes, you are correct, it is pay to win, outside of the game...I don't think so, but people have such broad views, it would be.
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Pay to win is a pricing scheme set by the owners of the game and has nothing to do with the hardware you choose to play with.

Apples and oranges.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

It depends on the game AND computer.

I'm sorry but if you can play on the highest settings of any new game your set to go and have a huge advantage over some. I've seen my buddies comp actually have graphical delay and had a major impact on me playing.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Is living on the same continent as the server pay-to-win? That can make a huge difference to both PvE and PvP performance
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

A few things to keep in mind.

Games typically have hardware requirements as well as a recommended hardware level. If you purchase a game knowing that your rig is below system reqs, then you are agreeing that the game might not very well for you.  So in this case, you would do worse than others most likely if your visuals are too choppy.

Another thing is normalization, and while it appears you're playing the game in real time (because on your client, you are) there is a delay between your client and the server so that people across a large region can see the same thing at the same time on their client.  So, in general, bandwidth and lag won't be too much of an issue with a few exceptions like playing on a NA server from Australia or New Zealand.  Sorry guys, you're just too far away from the rest of the world.

And like others have said, a 3k computer doesn't blow a 1.5k computer out of the water. There is quite a bit of diminishing returns on cost vs performance, and to pile on top of that, game developers rarely design games that can only be handled by the most cutting edge technology.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Frames Per Sec is really the only thing it comes down to. As long as you don't dip below 30 fps, you're at almost no disadvantage (aside from IP problems). If you're getting 30 fps and are bad at PvP, the only problem is you (or possibly the game if it is truely p2w).

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Foreverdream

It depends on the game AND computer.

I'm sorry but if you can play on the highest settings of any new game your set to go and have a huge advantage over some. I've seen my buddies comp actually have graphical delay and had a major impact on me playing.

I remember a long time ago a buddy of mine trying to play EQ2 on an old laptop.  Each time we changed zones there would be a break for several  minutes while his computer struggled to change zones.  We would use that time for bio's, getting snacks, smoking, etc.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I think in the minds of the people who buy a 3000 dollar machine it probably is. Whether it actually helps I don't know. Some of the mice (Mouse's?) with extra buttons probably give a little edge as well.

As for me, if I could afford a 3000 dollar gaming pc I would get it, but more for the graphics upgrade than any slight advantage.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

No. 

Because I'm a believer that you can get a computer that costs 500-800 dollars and have largely the same effect. I recently traded my Sager laptop for a desktop and I get 60 FPS on both WoW and SW:TOR and if you were to build this computer yourself, it would definitely be south of $1000. So no, buying a $3000 computer would not be "paying to win".

When did we start throwing around crap terms like this? I don't care how good your computer is or what you can buy in a cash shop or on Ebay... if you suck... you still lose. Period.

• grinderygrindery Member UncommonPosts: 36

Really? REALLY?!?! I can't believe this is even being discussed. It's even sadder that some people are actually saying yes to the question at hand. Bandwidth and a good computer is not paying 2 win, by any means. Good lord by that logic game developers are automatically the biggest culprits of pay 2 win. Just to clarify, you can't buy a computer through a game's cash shop, at least none that I know of. For shame on the people that can afford t3 lines or 3000 dollar computers.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Just an honest question. In all the pay to win conversations going on around here I seldom see much mention of the PC's that some gamers have while most people have a Dell or a Wal Mart or Best Buy PC with a new video card maybe.

Is buying the best possible bandwith speed pay2win?

I know there are sever tiers here where I live with the roadrunner service.

If these things ARE NOT pay2win, then what is ?

Where is the line drawn?

Sorry if this aspect has been covered before. I must have missed it. I am however, genuinely curious where people think the line is drawn. It is not like you can go buy a thousand dollar better Xbox.

TYIA

Some will say it is p2w. The argument has gotten a little out of hand because people like to change their understanding of the concept to coincide with their argument. I don't concidder anything p2w unless the game itself offers advantages that actually affect someone other than yourself in a way that gives them a clear advantage.

Example would be GW2, the pvp boosts are meaningless since gear does not matter and the extra glory will not give you a leg up on anyone. That same boost may be a problem in a game where that glory would translate into a form of currency for gear ala WoW's honor. Your gear grinding would now be faster than another who didnt spend the same amount of effort so that could be p2w.

No game will be completely even if you see the hardware as an unfair advantage though some will cry it is. Some games try to make the playing field as fair as possible and some clearly offer ways to get a leg up. I stay away from the latter. I don't have a high end rig and I will never use that as an excuse I get beat at something. You adapt with what you have and do the best with what you got. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

someone who spent 1500 instead of 700 on random retailer craptastic and overpriced pc, will always have advantage, but it wont be due fps.. its due smarts.. and no not because someone earns 2k a month and another one earns 1k..

one is addept  in IT , another is clueless casual.. its like saying can sprinter outrun, hotdog eating champion..