Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What we still don't know at this time.

DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

There has been an awful lot of press information regarding GW2 coming at us the past weeks and even though we caught a fair glimpse of a lot of aspects of the game there's still a lot of things we do not know at this time. Things that might or might not influence your decision to go for an early purchase.

Let's try and sum them all up and please correct me where I am wrong (I sucked up a lot of GW2 info but it's very likely that I missed some aspects) also please add those that you think I missed.

GW2, What we still don't know at this time:

- Launch date: pretty obvious one. Might be important for people for planning their weeks off.

- Higher than level 30 PVE content: there have been 50 levels missing in the press event. What is the state of this content?

update: So far two higher leveled areas have been in the Demo: posters report they are polished.

update: some links from wordoftruth showing demo play of higher level content in this post

- Higher than level 30 zones and regions: Due to the level restriction in the past event I think we've seen only a small part of the world. What's the state of these areas, polish wise?

update: So far two higher leveled areas have been in the Demo: posters report they are polished.

update: some links from wordoftruth showing demo play of higher level content in this post

- Dungeons: The bread and butter for some gamers: We saw only one of eight announced dungeons in action. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

update: Actually it seems it has been 1 instead of 2 of eight dungeons so far.

- Mini games / Activities: Has any activity been available in the press event? (I might have missed some info on these) They mention 30 activities on the wiki.

update: Kegball has been reported to be in the event but hardly enyone recorded footage of it

update: a YT vid of some minigames here

- The current state of Class Balance / Racial Balance: Not only class balance might be a hotly debated aspect of GW2, but also Racial balance: as of now there are racial elite skills capable of one shotting people. Like the Charr Artillery Barage.

Update: Anet has stated that Racial Elite Skills aren't supposed to be as powerful as class ones: there might still be quite some balancing underway.

Update: Racial elite skills can not be usedt in structured pvp (conflicting reports about WvW).

- Their plans for the Cash Shop at launch and in the future: we've seen some itterations on their philosophy behind their cash shop in the past, and they say they want more player feedback in beta, but to me and others this is an important point that might make or break our intent to buy this game. Also the press was barred from disclosing anything about the CS in the press event because it is still subject to changes. But to make an informed decision this might paramount to some.

- Client performance and latency in WvW: The released videos so far have been a mixed bunch: some with and some without lag. Because the game will offer 100's versus 100's of players duking it out but we haven't seen battles on that scale yet (correct me if I'm wrong), this is important to those planning to live of WvW.

edit: it has been reported that latency wasn't much of an issue so far, but client side performance was, with large numbers of players in your direct vicinity.

- NDA drop: The NDA is supposed to drop at the next beta event but so far there haven't been any overall impressions from long term testers. Only long term testers are able to speak up about unforseen aspects and maybe give us an idea of the general state and longevity of the game.

- Update: What is the state of Sylvari and Asura races, capitals and starting zones?

update: removed rumor about those two races sharing a starter world. If so it needs confirmation. The general question still stands.

update: there's a map shown here suggesting they share a starting zone

update: a newer map here showing seperate starer zones for both races

- Update: What is the state of structured pvp? So far people have reported they saw 2 maps and only conquest ones at launch. But there's hints of many more structured pvp options.

- Update: Region Locking: How are you planning to accomodate for people who travel a lot? Is region locking only in place to warrant a regionally specific pricing model with big differences?

- Update: Pricing, frequency, rough schedual & distribution of additional content / expansions. (I added "frequency" and "rough schedual" myself, might be that they already made announcements about this so feel free to correct).

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

8 dungeons? tho there were more :S

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

We've only seen one dungeon out of 8 (or 2 out of 32 if you want to go that way).

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Some things you just have to experience for yourself.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by DJJazzy

We've only seen one dungeon out of 8 (or 2 out of 32 if you want to go that way).

Not sure what the highlighted means?  Not trying to be obtuse, just genuinly curious.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

On the demos last year, levels higher than 30 were shown (I think lvl 50 areas and content) It looked polished from what I saw but who knows it's current state. Doubt they'll show much though, they don't want to spoil the game they say.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

(buzzing bee!!)

good list

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by DarkPony

- NDA drop: The NDA is supposed to drop at the next beta event but so far there haven't been any overall impressions from long term testers. Only long term testers are able to speak up about unforseen aspects and maybe give us an idea of the longevity of the game.

Long term testing is handled in-house, as far as I know. You won't see any beta impressions from them as mosft of them work for ANet and the rest are "friends and family" type deal.

Beta weekends are open to the press and the general public and there are plenty of impressions from both groups.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

- Do Asura & Syvalri have their own starting areas? Right now, it looks like they don't.

- How many structured PvP maps? Only seen 2 so far...

Hype train -> Reality

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Not sure what the highlighted means?  Not trying to be obtuse, just genuinly curious.

8 dungeon areas, 1 storymode, 3 explorable modes. So each dungeon will have 4 different experiences. So all together we have 32 different experiences with all of the dungeons in the game.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

There has been an awful lot of press information regarding GW2 coming at us the past weeks and even though we caught a fair glimpse of a lot of aspects of the game there's still a lot of things we do not know at this time. Things that might or might not influence your decision to go for an early purchase.

Let's try and sum them all up and please correct me where I am wrong (I sucked up a lot of GW2 info but it's very likely that I missed some aspects) also please add those that you think I missed.

- Launch date: pretty obvious one. Might be important for people for planning their weeks off. True.

- Higher than level 30 PVE content: there have been 50 levels missing in the press event. What is the state of this content? We have already seen two zones post level 30 (in the demos).

- HIgher than level 30 zones and regions: Due to the level restriction in the past event I think we've seen only a small part of the world. What's the state of these areas, polish wise? We have already seen two zones post level 30 (in the demos).

- Dungeons: The bread and butter for some gamers: I think we saw two of eight announced dungeons in action. (Correct me if I'm wrong). Just one.

- Mini games / Activities: Has any activity been available in the press event? (I might have missed some info on these) They mention 30 activities on the wiki. Yes, at least Kegball was in. Although hardly anyone recorded footage of it.

- The current state of Class Balance / Racial Balance: Not only class balance might be a hotly debated aspect of GW2, but also Racial balance: as of now there are racial elite skills capable of one shotting people. Like the Charr Artillery Barage. True.

- Their plans for the Cash Shop at launch and in the future: we've seen some itterations on their philosophy behind their cash shop in the past, and they say they want more player feedback in beta, but to me and others this is an important point that might make or break our intent to buy this game. Also the press was barred from disclosing anything about the CS in the press event because it is still subject to changes. But to make an informed decision this might paramount to some. If you pre-purchased the game you can see what it is currently like, nobody knows what it will eventually look like.

- Lag levels in WvW: The released videos so far have been a mixed bunch: some with and some without lag. Because the game will offer 100's versus 100's of players duking it out but we haven't seen battles on that scale yet (correct me if I'm wrong), this is important to those planning to live of WvW. True.

- NDA drop: The NDA is supposed to drop at the next beta event but so far there haven't been any overall impressions from long term testers. Only long term testers are able to speak up about unforseen aspects and maybe give us an idea of the longevity of the game.  True.

- Asura and Sylvari: Both races were missing in the last Beta Builds. And so far we haven't seen any gameplay footage of their starting areas.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Good post Pony.

I however want to point out one thing-

Anet has told us many times, in multiple ways, that there really is no "end-game" in Guild Wars 2.

What you see at low levels, well, you are going to see more of the same at higher levels.

Unlike many/most "themepark" MMOs, there is no batch of new/unseen content at the level cap.

They have said something along the lines of "we don't want you to play one game while you are leveling up and be playing a game that is totally different once you reach the max level."

So the issue of "we haven't seen anything past 30" is really a moot point in all regards except for of course the level of polish at higher levels vs. lower levels.

It really is/is supposed to be more of the same you've been doing the whole time you've been playing. No difference between max level and early PvP, as all PvP is really "max level" etc.

Some people really hate that idea.

No big raids or max level dungeons/heroics or gear treadmill etc. once you reach the cap. No new max level only PvP activities.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

There are variations of each dungeon through the explorable mode. Each dungeon has different paths a group can take, and there are three paths per dungeon, as I understand it.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Theres some stuff we dont know but I am anxiously waiting to see what answers are to be had.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

- Launch date: pretty obvious one. Might be important for people for planning their weeks off.

- Higher than level 30 PVE content: there have been 50 levels missing in the press event. What is the state of this content? The "shatterer zone" is 45 - 55, the "swamp zone" is similar (sorry, too lazy to find names and exact level ranges) So we know at least higher level zones were polished The rest is a mystery

- HIgher than level 30 zones and regions: Due to the level restriction in the past event I think we've seen only a small part of the world. What's the state of these areas, polish wise? Stated above

- Dungeons: The bread and butter for some gamers: I think we saw only two of eight announced dungeons in action. (Correct me if I'm wrong). True, perhaps due to spoilers and level restriction

- Mini games / Activities: Has any activity been available in the press event? (I might have missed some info on these) They mention 30 activities on the wiki. True, the only content thing Im worried about

- The current state of Class Balance / Racial Balance: Not only class balance might be a hotly debated aspect of GW2, but also Racial balance: as of now there are racial elite skills capable of one shotting people. Like the Charr Artillery Barage. Imbalance was and will be an issue in all class/faction based online games, you should already know that IMO

- Their plans for the Cash Shop at launch and in the future: we've seen some itterations on their philosophy behind their cash shop in the past, and they say they want more player feedback in beta, but to me and others this is an important point that might make or break our intent to buy this game. Also the press was barred from disclosing anything about the CS in the press event because it is still subject to changes. But to make an informed decision this might paramount to some. If they remove buyable guild influence Im happy, I WILL bitch about it a lot in beta

- Lag levels in WvW: The released videos so far have been a mixed bunch: some with and some without lag. Because the game will offer 100's versus 100's of players duking it out but we haven't seen battles on that scale yet (correct me if I'm wrong), this is important to those planning to live of WvW. I found only minority of those vids to be laggy, and this is just the begginning of optimalisation since that is handled lastly, no big worries

- NDA drop: The NDA is supposed to drop at the next beta event but so far there haven't been any overall impressions from long term testers. Only long term testers are able to speak up about unforseen aspects and maybe give us an idea of the longevity of the game.

You sumed up the uncertain content above, this is tied to it

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

8 dungeon areas, 1 storymode, 3 explorable modes. So each dungeon will have 4 different experiences. So all together we have 32 different experiences with all of the dungeons in the game.

Ah, what He said.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

- Do Asura & Syvalri have their own starting areas? Right now, it looks like they don't.

- How many structured PvP maps? Only seen 2 so far...

Don't ask me where I read it but I believe that Asura and Sylvari share their starting zone. In GW1, the Sylvari tree is really close to Rata Sum, the Asuran capital.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Cacaphony

There are variations of each dungeon through the explorable mode. Each dungeon has different paths a group can take, and there are three paths per dungeon, as I understand it.

Ahh, thank you.

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

Well, we have already heard of 6 of 8 dungeons, 4 are already known by name:

• Ascalonian Catacombs

• Caudecus's Manor

• Sorrow's Embrace

• Twilight Arbor

And we have an in game screen of Caudecus's Manor

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

- Region Locking: If you can even play the game if you have to move outside the country of purchase.

- European Pricing: Why they thought it was a good idea to jack up the price for Europeans and then prevent them from buying the cheaper US version by implementing region locking.

Added some.

Originally posted by PalmyCloud

Well, we have already heard of 6 of 8 dungeons, 4 are already known by name:

• Ascalonian Catacombs

• Caudecus's Manor

• Sorrow's Embrace

• Twilight Arbor

And we have an in game screen of Caudecus's Manor

I think he meant we've only seen 1 of the dungeons from the videos.

I'm perfectly fine with not seeing a lot of the content through youtube already. I want some mystery to still be there when I play (that is one of the reasons why the Asura and Sylvari haven't been shown yet from the betas). Only thing I hope is that everything is balanced well and most of the bugs corrected (you'll never have a 100% bug free game). I assume that this is Dark Pony's stance as well.

• wordoftruthwordoftruth Member Posts: 2

- Higher than level 30 PVE content: click the links

- Higher than level 30 zones and regions: Links above can help you figure this out

- Dungeons: only saw two branches of one dungeon so far.

- Mini games / Activities: here.

- The current state of Class Balance / Racial Balance: assumptions.

- Their plans for the Cash Shop at launch and in the future: xp boost is overplayed, and it's not CS exclusive. neither are keys. they don't sell gear and they're not introducing money into the game economy.

- Lag levels in WvW: not that bad in all the videos, and optimization is not even peformed yet. 

- NDA drop: not much to say.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Hmm list doesn't look bad I'm sort of glade we haven't seen the whole game. Spoil everything least for me, I'm glade we saw some content higher than level 30 though. We haven't seen squads, there is a video on activities not all of them though. Wvwvw lag so far isn't that bad. Cash shop will be usable in beta so least well know what's up. Least as of right now or from what we know it isn't pay to win but it could be which is a concern. But yea good list, I'm glade we know more about the game then we don't know atleast what to expect gameplay wise, err I mean majority.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Dark Pony, I would leave out the Sylvari and Asura sharing a starter zone rumor. With all due respect to Heartless, I haven't read or heard anything of that sort anywhere. Until there is some documentation of even the rumor (besides speculation on a fan site) it is pure speculation. And I assume you want your post to be as factual as possible.

• Originally posted by DarkPony

-- The current state of Class Balance / Racial Balance: Not only class balance might be a hotly debated aspect of GW2, but also Racial balance: as of now there are racial elite skills capable of one shotting people. Like the Charr Artillery Barage.

Somewhere I either read or saw in a video interview that the Racial Skills are not available in PVP - they want to avoid the situation where the best Warrior is a Charr, that type of thing. 

Well I didn't see that skill one shot anyone from that video. That thief didn't move at all and just stood inside the barrage the whole time (plus other affects were hiting him).

Delvie, it is in structured pvp where the racials aren't allowed I believe.