Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

Comments

• LadyAlyseLadyAlyse Member UncommonPosts: 36

Free to play, is all I've got to say.

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by Cammy

Here is why people are annoyed:

In the US, the price for GW2 is $60 = £37. In the UK the price for GW2 is £49.99 = $80. Why are ANet charging European customers more than US customers? 

In the UK a normal PC game, or other MMO costs £35 - £40.

Also, you can buy GW2 from play.com for £39.99 = $63, which is a fair price equivilant to the US price. Why are ANet charging more than retailers?

But yet... when I went to the UK last a CD cost me 3X more than it does (in general) when Im in the U.S

So.... should I go rage out at their local HMV because it's too much money? Only for them to basically laugh and tell me "if I don't want to buy it, then don't buy it".

It's really that simple... if your going to bitch and moan about a few bucks on a video game, you probably should just stop playing video games. Pick up reading - books are way cheaper.

If they were charging $99 for the game or something I could understand the outrage but this is the same cost that EVERY SINGLE AAA title costs on the Xbox/PS3, etc. So, why is GW2 the bad guys? Because they want to make a profit?

Seriously, people are just getting more and more spoiled by the day....

You still buy CD's? Wow, move into the 21st century. 

What im trying to get at, is would you be happy if you had to pay $80 for GW2, because thats the equivilant price ANet are charging us Europeans. 

This was 15 years ago.... /shrug

Sorry that I didn't give a life story with my post - it was meant to be used as an example. I realize half the people on this forum weren't alive then, but the rest of us should get the general idea.

And if they charged me $80 American, I would do one of two things.... I would either determine it was worth the investment and buy it, or I would determine it's too much for a video game and I'd pass. What I WOULDNT do is I wouldn't run to the forums which seems to be everyone's personal soap box these days, then proceed to bitch and whine about something costing a little extra money, especially if all games in the UK cost the same amount.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Since when is 59.99 expensive? Thats the price of every PC game that comes out pretty much.  And considering there is not sub fee it starts to look might cheap.

Plus, 20 more dollars for 4 ingame items and a statue? Seems pretty resonable.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

what are people complaining about ?

normal pc games are 49.99 euro in holland.  GW2 costs 59.99 euro (the normal console game price! )

i call it cheap if anything :)

if it was on a console then yes it would be, and comparing PC game prices with consoles is very misleading, as developers don't have to pay extra to release games on the PC platform, the same as they do to release on the console platforms, so very disingenous of you to compare prices that way.

and in a few months time, or at least 3 months after the game is released, the price of GW2 will be much less, so why should the game cost more now, when it will be cheaper later.

there is only one reason, and that is that they are counting on players not having the patience to wait for a better valued, more reasonably priced product image

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

In the US, the price for GW2 is $60 = £37. In the UK the price for GW2 is £49.99 = $80. Why are ANet charging European customers more than US customers? 

Also, you can buy GW2 from play.com for £39.99 = $63, which is a fair price equivilant to the US price. Why are ANet charging more than retailers?

But yet... when I went to the UK last a CD cost me 3X more than it does (in general) when Im in the U.S

So.... should I go rage out at their local HMV because it's too much money? Only for them to basically laugh and tell me "if I don't want to buy it, then don't buy it".

It's really that simple... if your going to bitch and moan about a few bucks on a video game, you probably should just stop playing video games. Pick up reading - books are way cheaper.

If they were charging $99 for the game or something I could understand the outrage but this is the same cost that EVERY SINGLE AAA title costs on the Xbox/PS3, etc. So, why is GW2 the bad guys? Because they want to make a profit?

What im trying to get at, is would you be happy if you had to pay $80 for GW2, because thats the equivilant price ANet are charging us Europeans. 

Sorry that I didn't give a life story with my post - it was meant to be used as an example. I realize half the people on this forum weren't alive then, but the rest of us should get the general idea.

And if they charged me $80 American, I would do one of two things.... I would either determine it was worth the investment and buy it, or I would determine it's too much for a video game and I'd pass. What I WOULDNT do is I wouldn't run to the forums which seems to be everyone's personal soap box these days, then proceed to bitch and whine about something costing a little extra money, especially if all games in the UK cost the same amount.

OK, but if you then found out that other people were getting it for $60 and you had to pay $80 wouldnt you be pissed off?

All games in the UK dont cost £49.99. The averasge price for a game in the UK is £35-£40

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• pags411pags411 Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

what are people complaining about ?

normal pc games are 49.99 euro in holland.  GW2 costs 59.99 euro (the normal console game price! )

i call it cheap if anything :)

if it was on a console then yes it would be, and comparing PC game prices with consoles is very misleading, as developers don't have to pay extra to release games on the PC platform, the same as they do to release on the console platforms, so very disingenous of you to compare prices that way.

and in a few months time, or at least 3 months after the game is released, the price of GW2 will be much less, so why should the game cost more now, when it will be cheaper later.

there is only one reason, and that is that they are counting on players not having the patience to wait for a better valued, more reasonably priced product image

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disingenuous?s=t

I think you meant "inaccurate".  At least I hope you did.

On the topic of being inaccurate: in a few months, how do you know what the game will cost?  If it's less, how can you say "much" less?  And it would be pretty presumptuous to claim that the only reason the game is marked up in EU is because they're counting on the demand to drive sales immediately around the time of launch.  What is it about EU players that makes this a viable business strategy or the only reason BW would take this approach?  Sounds like a stretch to me.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I'll wait till itson amazon/shopto for cheaper

OK, but if you then found out that other people were getting it for $60 and you had to pay $80 wouldnt you be pissed off?

No... not really. What other people do/don't do really doesn't have any affect on me what so ever. I also understand that different countries = different pricing in some cases.

Hell - Im from Canada, so when I go to the states I get gas for WAY cheaper than I do here. Do I rage out because I have to pay more for the EXACT same product? I mean - gas is gas, regardless of which country I live right? Why do I have to pay more? That's the way it goes sometimes.... If someone thinks its too much money, then they absolutely shouldn't pay it. I come to this forum about once every 2 weeks now (mostly because of the whine - I can't handle it) and it seems every time I come there's another EXACT same post of "WAAAAA They are charging more than I want to pay QQ QQ QQ". Fuck - I'd like it for free? Can't I have that? If not - then Ill go make a new post once a week to show my displeasure.... you have to admit, it is pretty ridiculous.

P.S Thanks for having an actual conversation, it's a good topic of debate and I can understand why you are frustrated. Just try to see it from the rest of the world too :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Valua

The Digital Edition and the Digital Deluxe Edition are way over priced.

£49.99 and £64.99 Really?

What a rip off. 

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and the new Assassins Creed were only £34.99.

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

And a 3 day head start for those who pre-purchase it, 1 day for those who pre-order it. This seems like they are pretty worried about their game and want people to purchase it before release to me.

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

As you can probably tell I'm pissed off. I'll buy this game a few months after release when it's reduced to £20, which I can see happening fast with the current price of the game.

$60.00 now, and in 6 months you would of paid $60.00 versus any of the other game you mentioned.  $50.00 AT RELEASE AND $15.00 a month for a total $140.00.

Now Im not a astro-physicist but I am pretty certain 60 is less then 140. 

People will never cease to amaze me at the incesseant complaining with out a modicum of reason other then to whine.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

Don't buy it.

I don't care for Star Wars MMO and how they made the game...I handle that by not talking about it or posting in the forums. Give it a shot.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I havn't seen a lifetime subscription anywhere else as cheap as it is for GW2. Expansions are not included in any lifetime sub offers that I know of.

MANY people have just paid $200 with TSW for the same access that costs $60 with GW2.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

i feel like getting robbed each time i wanna play game on eu server..

cos everytime i wanna buy digital version, i always need to pay xxx euro..

FFS, i live in south africa, we dont earns as much as u guys do in EU, FFS

why do ppl like us need to play so much just to play in some servers far far away??

we should be only paying max 40euro for any game... they should come up with "rest of the world" version other than us/eu version.... fking hell.. 55euro... for digital dl...

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I know this is off-topic a bit but I just realised;

Will there also be a difference in cash shop pricing?

Imagine an US player having to pay $6, an EU player $7.50 and a British person $8.00 for the same thing..

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Serelisk

I see what you did thar image

It's like when the title is said during the movie.

You want to see me get hyped? Do this:

1. Get 1,000+ people on the same screen with no lag and prove WvWvW is not a joke

2. Get 100+ people in the same zone and prove that the dynamic event system is not a joke and actually works in a mmorpg.

3. Get people to end game who are not ArenaNET employees or press who are paid to advertise for this game and give me honest opinions

4. Stop quoting some TotalBiscuit video about how he likes the games when this guy worshipped Blizzards game design for 7 years and now he has had a sudden change of heart

Until any of this happens I am not even remotely impressed

While it's misspelled, your forum username is so appropo.  I don't think I've ever seen you make a positive comment, and I'm not sure why you even bother coming into any post on GW2 at ALL.  You hate the game that you haven't played yet.....we get it.  You're unimpressed with everything about it....we get it.  You loved WoW and hate that TB has gotten burnt out and now seems to be giving props to another game....we get it.

I wager that if any of the above was actually proven, you'd come up with a new reason to hate GW2.  What's the REAL issue, I wonder?  Jealousy?  Or what exactly?  I really don't understand you.  I'm sorry.  I wish I did, but it all just seems like misdirected rage to me.

By the way, I have nothing against you personally.  I only know what you post.  I don't mean to be offensive.  I only wish I could understand your truly baffling rage against this specific game and your over all angst.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Originally posted by Zylaxx

What a rip off. 

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

And a 3 day head start for those who pre-purchase it, 1 day for those who pre-order it. This seems like they are pretty worried about their game and want people to purchase it before release to me.

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

As you can probably tell I'm pissed off. I'll buy this game a few months after release when it's reduced to £20, which I can see happening fast with the current price of the game.

$60.00 now, and in 6 months you would of paid $60.00 versus any of the other game you mentioned.  $50.00 AT RELEASE AND $15.00 a month for a total $140.00.

People will never cease to amaze me at the incesseant complaining with out a modicum of reason other then to whine.

You omitted cash shop from your fag packet arithmetic.

I knew that was going to be the argument.... but but *sob there's a cash stop QQ

I bet you anything 90% of people won't spend even CLOSE to that money over the next 6 months in the cash shop. Of course that remains to be seen but I know personally Ill be playing and having fun without worrying much about it.

I know that'll be tough for some people to grasp 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What a rip off. 

As much as I hate to see it, the utter dismissal of the cash shop as though it never existed and/or is utterly irrelevant to the game in any way shpe or form is slightly disturbing.

Weather or Not ANet keeps to their word and doesn't allow advantages (I will give ANet the benefit of te doubt until it's revealed), NCSoft WILL make that shop relevant. And I won't accuse it of  going all out P2W until I see proof, but I will say, this is their revenue stream. It WILL be meaningful. Some how or some way, they will make you want it. This is not GW1, they are not out to sell pretty costumes to a few people. Or pointless XP boosts that have no meaning since your level adjusts anyway.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What a rip off. 

As much as I hate to see it, the utter dismissal of the cash shop as though it never existed and/or is utterly irrelevant to the game in any way shpe or form is slightly disturbing.

Weather or Not ANet keeps to their word and doesn't allow advantages (I will give ANet the benefit of te doubt until it's revealed), NCSoft WILL make that shop relevant. And I won't accuse it of  going all out P2W until I see proof, but I will say, this is their revenue stream. It WILL be meaningful. Some how or some way, they will make you want it. This is not GW1, they are not out to sell pretty costumes to a few people. Or pointless XP boosts that have no meaning since your level adjusts anyway.

The cash shop details has been leaked - most of it is as exactly as you said.... buy items to buy pretty gear, buy new bag slots, buy new bank slots, xp potions, keys (for meaningless items that people don't understand), etc.

That said, they will ABSOLUTELY make money off it and your right - it'll be a very big revenue stream.... but since most people pay $15 a month anyways I really don't see it as a big deal. At least here, if I want to play more - I can simply do that without adding so much as another dime to my gaming pleasure.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

I personally would like to see the price jump up just a bit so we can eliminate a few more of the "consistantly unsatisfied" people from playing the game.

Originally posted by Terrorizor

I personally would like to see the price jump up just a bit so we can eliminate a few more of the "consistantly unsatisfied" people from playing the game.

Now this is a fantastic suggestion.....

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Terrorizor

Now this is a fantastic suggestion.....

Ahhhhh....Mmmmm....I'm thinkin' I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if I knew this would work!

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What a rip off. 

Blizz just released a new $10 pet

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001914

Do you think Blizz intends to increase their revenue stream by selling more pets? Do you think the addition of Pokemon was designed to make people want these pets even more?

Everything people "know" about the cash shop is hypothetical at this point because it's still in beta, yet it doesn't stop all of the theories.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Puremallace

I see what you did thar image

It's like when the title is said during the movie.

You want to see me get hyped? Do this:

1. Get 1,000+ people on the same screen with no lag and prove WvWvW is not a joke

2. Get 100+ people in the same zone and prove that the dynamic event system is not a joke and actually works in a mmorpg.

3. Get people to end game who are not ArenaNET employees or press who are paid to advertise for this game and give me honest opinions

4. Stop quoting some TotalBiscuit video about how he likes the games when this guy worshipped Blizzards game design for 7 years and now he has had a sudden change of heart

Until any of this happens I am not even remotely impressed

While it's misspelled, your forum username is so appropo.  I don't think I've ever seen you make a positive comment, and I'm not sure why you even bother coming into any post on GW2 at ALL.  You hate the game that you haven't played yet.....we get it.  You're unimpressed with everything about it....we get it.  You loved WoW and hate that TB has gotten burnt out and now seems to be giving props to another game....we get it.

I wager that if any of the above was actually proven, you'd come up with a new reason to hate GW2.  What's the REAL issue, I wonder?  Jealousy?  Or what exactly?  I really don't understand you.  I'm sorry.  I wish I did, but it all just seems like misdirected rage to me.

It worried me too like before he started the this who price rage thing I just thought he was a bit mental or something. But now it's starting to get really childish and what not, it's crazy because I have a strong feeling he personally doesn't care, but is trying to make others hate ANET, I mean, I don't see a point if you have a MmO you love and to just go out attacking another games that come out. I mean it's common for most, it really isn't my cup of tea but it is childish and wrong. I mean I doubt I'll literally see this forum again, after GW 2 comes out. I did

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

No... not really. What other people do/don't do really doesn't have any affect on me what so ever. I also understand that different countries = different pricing in some cases.

Hell - Im from Canada, so when I go to the states I get gas for WAY cheaper than I do here. Do I rage out because I have to pay more for the EXACT same product? I mean - gas is gas, regardless of which country I live right? Why do I have to pay more? That's the way it goes sometimes.... If someone thinks its too much money, then they absolutely shouldn't pay it. I come to this forum about once every 2 weeks now (mostly because of the whine - I can't handle it) and it seems every time I come there's another EXACT same post of "WAAAAA They are charging more than I want to pay QQ QQ QQ". Fuck - I'd like it for free? Can't I have that? If not - then Ill go make a new post once a week to show my displeasure.... you have to admit, it is pretty ridiculous.

P.S Thanks for having an actual conversation, it's a good topic of debate and I can understand why you are frustrated. Just try to see it from the rest of the world too :)

Well, looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree. I just dont think its fair that we are charged more in the EU/UK for the same product when it doesnt cost ANet any more to sell a digital download to EU/UK.

And dont get me started on gas prices. In the UK its currently average of £1.42($2.25) per litre!!!!!!

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

So... Just curious but do you go to other websites and bitch about gas prices? I'm genuinely curious. If not I think your effort is better spent there imo, as that seems much more of a problem compared to some game

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

hahahaha, like 5 months ago I said that the box and expansions would be more expensive than other mmos. Oh man, how much fodder I caught for that. 
    Glad to see I can say " I told you so". 

Well, here in the US, TOR and Rift were $59.99...
    Guild Wars 2 is $59.99...
    Personally, I never doubted that the box price would cost any less than $59.99...
    So here's a picture of  a spaceship launching.

TOR and RIFT are P2P service games not F2P cash shop games.  I can't think of a F2P cash shop game that charges an up front fee to play.  Paying an extra $60 and not getting game shop gems seems steep to me.

It's not a F2P title with in built walls to force you in to the cash shop, it's a B2P title with a discretionary cash shop, the quality and content of the game is far superior to that of any built for F2P game. You get what you pay for :)

The cash shop, monthly fee (or lack of), and payment model are totally relevant.  Buzzword marketing spin titles like F2P and B2P aren't really relevant as well as your opinion of the quality because that's subjective.
    "You get what you pay for" is also irrelevant and misleading, but also works against you.  By that logic WoW, RIFT, and TOR are all far superior to GW2 because there is a monthly fee attached to those games.
    What is relevant is what they're charging for the game and how much it will cost in an ongoing basis.  If you think the cash shop is irrelevant then you're kidding yourself.  NCSoft has carefully calculated the potential revenue generation per customer, over time, and is calculating that they can make as much or more, per person, than a subscription or pure cash shop based game.  They're already ahead of the "no upfront cost" cash shop game because they're generating at least $60 to $150 or more from the get go plus any cash shop items sold within the anticipated revenue return period (after initial purchase).
    So it really comes down to the fact that they have had an amazing advertising campaign selling the marketing concept of B2P.  They've convinced millions of people that putting $60+ dollars down, for nearly no hard return (eg: game cash / gems) on a "no monthly fee" cash shop game is a worthwhile investment.  No other F2P game publisher has pulled this off.  I hope to hell this doesn't become the new trend in "F2P" games.

Are you a long term beta tester, employee or friend/relative of someone at Anet/NCSoft ? That's the only way I can possibly see your speculation as fact, if there's a source for this theory that you are going to have to pay as much if not more than a monthly fee via the CS then please share it with us. Admittedly we have no source to prove otherwise until long term players aren't stifled by an NDA, anything we all say about long term is pure speculation, let's try and not pass it off as fact.

This discussion has been closed.