Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Game Update 1.2 – Legacy Preview

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,610MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

We recently had the opportunity to head onto the Star Wars: The Old Republic PTS to check out v1.2 which is set to hit live servers later this month. During our time in game, we learned more about the Legacy System. See what we discovered and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

You can now decide how your characters are related, picking from any combination of siblings, spouses, adopted children, children, rivals and allies.  These characters, which can come from different factions as long as they’re on the same server, will then be able to unlock emotes, abilities and other rewards to share between them.  As long as one character has access to it, so will the others, regardless of their exact familial relationship.

Read more of Luke Karmali's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Game Update 1.2 Legacy Preview.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• noncleynoncley LondonPosts: 648Member Uncommon

"things have been ticking along nicely in Star Wars: The Old Republic of late"

Is this blog a paid announcement?

• RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member
    Awesome!!!!!!
  • crysentcrysent cedar rapids, IAPosts: 837Member Uncommon

A couple points:

1)  Hasn't this 1.2 legacy system been beaten into the ground?  Who cares if you can make your other chars siblings?  I get it, it's for roleplayers, that's great but really pretty uninspiring.  Nothing real ground breaking going on here..you can be blue skinned people as jedi now..cool.

2) they are basically removing race/class restrictings purchasable with legacy points...again..really uninspiring, really only a big deal if you are a roleplayer.

3)  Lastly I'm not so sure I would claim 'things have been ticking along nicely' for ToR...logged into the servers lately?

Originally posted by crysent

A couple points:

1)  Hasn't this 1.2 legacy system been beaten into the ground?  Who cares if you can make your other chars siblings?  I get it, it's for roleplayers, that's great but really pretty uninspiring.  Nothing real ground breaking going on here..you can be blue skinned people as jedi now..cool.
    2) they are basically removing race/class restrictings purchasable with legacy points...again..really uninspiring, really only a big deal if you are a roleplayer.
    3)  Lastly I'm not so sure I would claim 'things have been ticking along nicely' for ToR...logged into the servers lately?

Surely it penalises role players as they would need to keep the family tree pure, ie they couldn't have the different races related as it would screw up the RP side.

I can't imagine anyone other then roleplayers and young children finding it a worthy timesink or game goal to be able to play different races as different classes.  Enough motivation to re-role when you hit 50?  I don't think so.

When this was first announced I was thinking wow! maybe unlockable races like Wookie, Ewoks?  I dunno, that sounded sweet, not just allowing players to play all their stupid different colored human skin races...

• TardcoreTardcore MinskPosts: 2,325Member

. . . And another thing about GW2  . . . Oh, sorry, didn't know anyone would actualy be in here.

* backs slowly out of room*

/SARCASM OFF

Yeah its really sad that some (read ALL) of these niggling features weren't in at launch. Guess making that Xmas launch date was far more important than game integrity. Though its nice to see that after failing to add them for five years they were somehow able to crank them out in four short months. All I can say is better luck next game, Bioware.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• toljartoljar Elk river, MNPosts: 132Member Uncommon

Honestly, I'm enjoying SWTOR to the fullest. I have a community that keeps things fresh and interesting every step of the way. I have noticed a lot of the people who complain that they are leaving the game either did not belong to part of a competent group/community able to run things beyond the basics or they think everything should be spoon fed to them and not have to earn up to anything.

SWTOR has its rough edges there is no doubt on that; however, I do feel that 1.2 will have some of the stuff that players are craving. Legacy system, yes this has been beaten into the ground by every website out there but everyone needs to remember that this is just a small thing of what is yet to come. World of Warcraft, Rift, Asheron's Call, Everquest and every other great game didn't get developed over night and everyone fell in love with them eventually down the road. (Actually Asheron's Call and Everquest being in the pre-golden era of MMO's where fantastic games with lost of stuff to do pretty early on.)

So every troll that sees SWTOR in the tag somewhere and feels the need to just come around and try to talk crap on it. Go ahead, the numbers you see do not lie the game has lost population and subscription. You however are not missed and I hope you enjoy sitting around not playing a game while waiting on "the next bg game" (thats going to flop just as hard with all these demands the gamer populations put on developers now days).

IRONFIST Gaming community
    www.ironfistgaming.com

• HarafnirHarafnir VikingvillePosts: 1,324Member Uncommon

Originally posted by toljar

Honestly, I'm enjoying SWTOR to the fullest. I have a community that keeps things fresh and interesting every step of the way. I have noticed a lot of the people who complain that they are leaving the game either did not belong to part of a competent group/community able to run things beyond the basics or they think everything should be spoon fed to them and not have to earn up to anything.

SWTOR has its rough edges there is no doubt on that; however, I do feel that 1.2 will have some of the stuff that players are craving. Legacy system, yes this has been beaten into the ground by every website out there but everyone needs to remember that this is just a small thing of what is yet to come. World of Warcraft, Rift, Asheron's Call, Everquest and every other great game didn't get developed over night and everyone fell in love with them eventually down the road. (Actually Asheron's Call and Everquest being in the pre-golden era of MMO's where fantastic games with lost of stuff to do pretty early on.)

So every troll that sees SWTOR in the tag somewhere and feels the need to just come around and try to talk crap on it. Go ahead, the numbers you see do not lie the game has lost population and subscription. You however are not missed and I hope you enjoy sitting around not playing a game while waiting on "the next bg game" (thats going to flop just as hard with all these demands the gamer populations put on developers now days).

It is intresting that you can sit here and insult people in all sorts of ways, and at the same time call about 70-80% od the people that bought the game, tried it for a long time and found it lacking "Trolls". That is a LOT of people you call trolls. but you think of yourself as what, the lost member of the carebears? Serriously. You like it. says a lot more about you, than the tons of people disappointed.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member

I'm looking forward to the update overall but am also disappointed in what they meant as "playable races". I too was expecting new races...not just the same ones. How many of the same class will one play through? Seriously. Maybe one of each advance class ..maybe. Race has nothing to do with the story so ...same ole..same ole.

They should really open up legacy relationships as well. I hope it's not strictly blood. Maybe a nemesis...old drinking buddy. Childhood friend. I know the ability transfer thing would make less sense but so does a Pureblood sith being being a twileks uncle 

• sofbertsofbert Culver City, CAPosts: 52Member

I just can't believe 1.2 still isn't out yet. It adds a bunch of pvp stuff, this (to me) pointless Legacy stuff which honestly was a big disappointment in terms of the content it provides, and it's STILL not out yet. I was hoping the Legacy stuff would be either more useful, or more fluff, not this mishmash of halfway stuff. If it were cooler outfit designs, pets, weapon mods, or faster mounts, cool mod chips, but not this character race unlocking crap. That's stuff they should have saved for when they fixed the real issues. 

• evictonevicton Warren, PAPosts: 398Member

Originally posted by RefMinor

A couple points:

Surely it penalises role players as they would need to keep the family tree pure, ie they couldn't have the different races related as it would screw up the RP side.

People can be added into the legacy as allies or rivals, thus they can be included into their legacy without having to actually relate them to all your characters. Also children can be labeled adopted giving a person another means to add someone to the legacy without actually having to 'relate' them to it.

• CoolitCoolit FalkirkPosts: 468Member Uncommon

I think the best aspect of this patch is the new UI because quite frankly the launch UI was the single worst bit of modern MMO coding I've ever seen, it was shocking. The fact this is pretty much a full re-write of the original UI suggests they knew this but still launched.

The rest of the patch sounds solid also, nice update overal.

• dronfwardronfwar Shitty, DEPosts: 316Member

Originally posted by toljar

They pulled a Bioware - how to piss off as many people as possible! 

Originally posted by evicton

A couple points:

People can be added into the legacy as allies or rivals, thus they can be included into their legacy without having to actually relate them to all your characters. Also children can be labeled adopted giving a person another means to add someone to the legacy without actually having to 'relate' them to it.

How do midichlorians pass from adoptive Jedi dad to smuggler son
  • MrPatMrPat Blainville, QCPosts: 11Member

Happy for them. Next !

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Arlington, VAPosts: 554Member Uncommon

Han Solo and Chewbacca and Palapatine and Jar Jar are part of the Skywalker legacy.  Does that make it weird?

• BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member

That answers my concerns...cool.  Other wise my legacy "family" would have looked strange lol.

A couple points:

How do midichlorians pass from adoptive Jedi dad to smuggler son

Who's to say smuggler son didn't have a small amount of midichlorians in him when he was born, thus the reason Jedi dad adopted him. 

• pags411pags411 Boulder, COPosts: 98Member

It's great to see these changes coming soon to the game.  I was really excited for this game as I watched its development.  I wanted to love the game for many different reasons, and there are a number of innovations that I hope to see incorporated into the MMO RPG genre (i.e. companions, player ships).  Sadly, it seems apparent that this game was gutted and forced onto shelves well before it was ready to be released.  This is going on the 5th month of live servers for TOR, and they're finally adding QOL features that most games launch with or patch in after a few weeks.  While the server stability and overall game performance was above average for a new title in this genre, the design philosophy and content fall incredibly short.

I empathize with people who defend this game, but eventually you have to come to terms with reason by understanding that TOR launched in the post-WoW and Rift eras.  There are features that these games have and new games need.  It goes without saying that this game has some great ideas.  People will play and enjoy this game for a long time if BW is able to swallow their pride and consolidate down to a handful of servers.  Nevertheless, this game probably won't see wipespread popularity and adoration considering EAs approach to the industry and the deflated first impression this game made with the MMO community.  Your first major content patch mainly consists of things that should have launched in the game and an incomprehensibly rich system for leveling alts?  Raiding guilds and pvp guilds are looking for a game with end game.  Bioware is making a KOTOR 3 online.

Originally posted by pags411

It's great to see these changes coming soon to the game.  I was really excited for this game as I watched its development.  I wanted to love the game for many different reasons, and there are a number of innovations that I hope to see incorporated into the MMO RPG genre (i.e. companions, player ships).  Sadly, it seems apparent that this game was gutted and forced onto shelves well before it was ready to be released.  This is going on the 5th month of live servers for TOR, and they're finally adding QOL features that most games launch with or patch in after a few weeks.  While the server stability and overall game performance was above average for a new title in this genre, the design philosophy and content fall incredibly short.

I empathize with people who defend this game, but eventually you have to come to terms with reason by understanding that TOR launched in the post-WoW and Rift eras.  There are features that these games have and new games need.  It goes without saying that this game has some great ideas.  People will play and enjoy this game for a long time if BW is able to swallow their pride and consolidate down to a handful of servers.  Nevertheless, this game probably won't see wipespread popularity and adoration considering EAs approach to the industry, and the deflated first impression this game made with the MMO community.  Your first major content patch mainly consists of things that should have launched in the game and an incomprehensible rich system for leveling alts?  Raiding guilds and pvp guilds are looking for a game with end game.  Bioware is making a KOTOR 3 online.

While you make some good points you miss the biggest point when you say raiding guild and pvp guild are looking for end game.

Tor launched in this era with 2 raids, both wow and rift launched with 0

Patch 1.2 for rift was when they added their first raid. 1.2 for Tor is implemented their 3rd raid. The 2nd post launch flashpoint added.

Wow's adding raid timelines was even worse at launch 1.1 gave us ony and Molten Core. It wasn't until 1.6 that Black Wing Lair was added almost 8 months after release.

Tor has alot of faults, adding raid content for end game raiding guilds is not one of them.

• ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

Speak for yourself, I am looking forward to playing Chiss force users on both factions. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't mean it only interests children and roleplayers. I'm neither, and I'm looking forward to it. The people I play with are looking forward to unlocking species for different classes and the opposite faction too. It's a game, you're not supposed to be taking it super seriously, you're supposed to be playing for fun and this system is "for fun".

Originally posted by Valentina

Speak for yourself, I am looking forward to playing Chiss force users on both factions. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't mean it only interests children and roleplayers. I'm neither, and I'm looking forward to it. The people I play with are looking forward to unlocking species for different classes and the opposite faction too. It's a game, you're not supposed to be taking it super seriously, you're supposed to be playing for fun and this system is "for fun".

Why?  Seriously...Not trying to be condecending -but if your not a child or a roleplayer what difference the races in this game which are essentially all the EXACT same except for their skin color and a few VERY VERY minor tweaks (horns, tattoos) would make to you I can't wrap my head around.

I just don't see the motivation.  As I said, if they had added unique races that were actually unique, not just different colored humans I could see the intrsts (who woulden't want a Wookie smuggler or Ewok Jedi) but the system to be implemented just seems...well..underwhelming to say the least.

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common

I love how role players are being completely dismissed by posters here. Did you guys forget what RPG stands for?

While it will be nice to role play a sith pureblood with other classes, it would have been nice to add more races eg: wookies,trandoshian. It's not like it should be hard to do. You don't even have to hire more actors. Wookies always roar and trandoshians always hiss. Just add subtitles on the bottom like they already do in this game when you talk to a non-english speaking species. Problem solved.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• potbellyrhipotbellyrhi alexandria, VAPosts: 38Member

Most Role-players forgot what RPG means.

Is role players wanted to roleplay they wouldnt be playing a game which dictates from start to finish with no variation what your story is...

After seeing Bioware's judgement in action, my guess would be that the first new race they implemented would be the Gungan.