Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Defiance: First In-Game Footage Revealed

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Covington, LAPosts: 555Member

You guys are judging a game based on a one minute clip of pre-alpha game play footage. Come on...

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,905Member Uncommon

Looks like what I orginally though Huxley would be early on.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member

Looks pretty damn cool for alpha footy.

And sci-fiish as well but not over the top like in FF.

I love the pew pew.

• XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,602Member Uncommon

They preview a First/Third Person Shooter and only PvE is shown?!

Stick to WoW clones Trion.

• SenadinaSenadina San Diego, CAPosts: 896Member Uncommon

Originally posted by messier647

Originally posted by marz.at.play

Anyone else think it reminds them of Starship Troopers?

was thinking the same thing

Me too. I hope you aren't killing the same mob types again and again. Could get boring fast.

• kilunkilun Apopka, FLPosts: 709Member Common

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

to bad this game is connected to a syfy tv show :/ syfy fails at tv

Just at movies#  They have some pretty good TV shows, as long as they aren't "reality" shows#  Warehouse 13, Eureka, Sanctuary, Alphas are all on my DVR and I watch them every season and love em#  Defiance could be on caliber with those#

I like the vehicles in the trailer#  Other than that though, I need to see gameplay that isn't cut into a trailer with full UI and music/sound from the game#  Much like GW2 did a year or 2 ago with 2 hours of uncut straight up gameplay with no annoying devs talking over it#

I love the crappy campy sci-fi movies.  The reality tv shows on the other hand...And bring back some form of SG without cancelling it, SGU was finally turning around to a good show and they can it.

And they know they are terrible the sharktopus or whatever actually had commentary guest portraying how horrible the movie was, it was their take on MST3000 showing they know the movies are pretty bad, but still people watch em.

www.ozumgames.com

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Portland, ORPosts: 1,277Member

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    You guys are judging a game based on a one minute clip of pre-alpha game play footage. Come on...

I don't see anyone judging the entire game. I see first impressions and initial reactions.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AsheramAsheram San Diego, CAPosts: 1,989Member Uncommon

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by Asheram

Originally posted by Mascalzone

Gosh, I expected something rather different... 

Yeah same here. Looks cool but with all the other space marine fps mmos coming out, whats going to make this one special?

What other "space marine" fps mmo's are coming out?

War Hammer DMO isnt going to be a MMO now, PlanetSide 2 has no pve but I am still looking forward to it as well and FireFall's not being called an MMO by its developers,it has an open world but at the moment the scope of it is unknown.

Did I miss any if so please add to my list.Your comment made it seem like there is a long list of them.

Edit: I forgot about Blizzards "Titan" project I heard was going to be fps mmo as well but little is known as of yet.

Think he's lumping all the sci-fi themed MMFPS titles in there. Tribes:Ascend, Planetside2, Dust514, Firefall....know I'm forgetting a couple other new ones..

yeah this basically. theres an abnormal amount of these being developed right now.

If you are trying to lump it in with games like Tribes:Ascend or Dust514 then you are quite mistaken as those are lobby based with limited players in each match and no persistant open world.

There are not an abnormal amount of actual mmo's that are action based twitch combat,or even sci fi themed tab targeting ones for that matter.

There is actually an abnormal amount of tab targeting, fantasy based mmo's as the market is flooded with them,they seem to breed like rabbits.One dies off an 2 more pop up in its place.

• NightkinNightkin BudapestPosts: 47Member

Originally posted by nax38

I expected a little bit better from Trion.

After Rift? How?:D

• KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon

I know i'll definately try the TV show, even if only because Julie Benz is starring, but i'll need to see much more of the game before i decide on it. Plenty of time though as it ain't releasing anytime soon.

• UronksurUronksur Redmond, WAPosts: 311Member Uncommon

This trailer just looks so terribly generic. Oh look! Another post-apocalyptic science-fiction video game in which humanity is struggling to survive against the terrible monsters from below! That totally hasn't been done a good half-dozen or so times already.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Kansas City, MOPosts: 460Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Uronksur

This trailer just looks so terribly generic. Oh look! Another post-apocalyptic science-fiction video game in which humanity is struggling to survive against the terrible monsters from below! That totally hasn't been done a good half-dozen or so times already.

Sounds like a fun environment for a twitch based MMO.

• khelbonkhelbon plaquemine, LAPosts: 102Member

Originally posted by marz.at.play

Anyone else think it reminds them of Starship Troopers?

I  thought the same thing as well.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore salem, ORPosts: 672Member

Trion is one of the best in the biz for sure. I wish this game luck, though it is not for me. End of Nations is going to be amazing, cant wait for that! Rift was great also. There server technology is amazing! (fanboy)

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Tempe, AZPosts: 994Member

Looks dull.  Just like Rift.  Pass.

• DakirnDakirn Kansas City, MOPosts: 374Member Uncommon

Rift is a good game.. it's exactly what they set out to be. Don't blame Trion for not meeting your false expectations that they never set in the first place.

There is plenty of room for all games to co-exist and Trion is doing something very few (if any developers) do.. release a ton of free content at a steady pace based on user comments and feedback.

I personally don't think this looks very interesting but it's pre-alpha footage.  I hope the show is somewhat decent, though SyFy's trackrecord is pretty bad for that.

I think I'm more interested in the social experiment of an MMO and TV show melding together than actually watching or playing it.  Like.. how, with long pre-production and post-production schedules, actors and filiming.. changes in the game will affect the show.  Obviously the show can immediately change the game world, but not vice versa unless it's all planned ahead of time and multiple outcomes are filmed.

An interesting experiment indeed.. just glad it's not my money :)

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Kansas City, MOPosts: 460Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Dakirn I think I'm more interested in the social experiment of an MMO and TV show melding together than actually watching or playing it.  Like.. how, with long pre-production and post-production schedules, actors and filiming.. changes in the game will affect the show.  Obviously the show can immediately change the game world, but not vice versa unless it's all planned ahead of time and multiple outcomes are filmed.

An interesting experiment indeed.. just glad it's not my money :)

From what I've read the show takes place in St. Louis and the game takes place in San Fransisco. So what happens in one place doesn't have to change the world in another instantly(they are 1,741 miles apart..2,801 KM).

To put that distance in perspective, the distance between Edinburgh, Scotland and Tripoli, Libya is 1,776 miles.

The events in one city could take days or weeks to impact the other. It is a post-apcolypse setting.

• corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member

Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by Mascalzone

Gosh, I expected something rather different... 

Yeah same here. Looks cool but with all the other space marine fps mmos coming out, whats going to make this one special?

What other "space marine" fps mmo's are coming out?

War Hammer DMO isnt going to be a MMO now, PlanetSide 2 has no pve but I am still looking forward to it as well and FireFall's not being called an MMO by its developers,it has an open world but at the moment the scope of it is unknown.

Did I miss any if so please add to my list.Your comment made it seem like there is a long list of them.

Edit: I forgot about Blizzards "Titan" project I heard was going to be fps mmo as well but little is known as of yet.

Think he's lumping all the sci-fi themed MMFPS titles in there. Tribes:Ascend, Planetside2, Dust514, Firefall....know I'm forgetting a couple other new ones..

yeah this basically. theres an abnormal amount of these being developed right now.

If you are trying to lump it in with games like Tribes:Ascend or Dust514 then you are quite mistaken as those are lobby based with limited players in each match and no persistant open world.

There are not an abnormal amount of actual mmo's that are action based twitch combat,or even sci fi themed tab targeting ones for that matter.

There is actually an abnormal amount of tab targeting, fantasy based mmo's as the market is flooded with them,they seem to breed like rabbits.One dies off an 2 more pop up in its place.

exactly.  from that list of examples looks like Firefall is the ONLY ONE that is similar.  Pside series are not immersive virtual worlds at all.  just gigantic arenas.   even tho Dust has a connection to a virtual world, i expect as a standalone game it won't feel like it at all...... minus some statistic screens that show what resources you earned for the virtual world side, which you can't access. 

and it does seem strange that, even if you were to assume Pside, Dust, Tribes were to actually have PVE and virtual worlds, that its somehow a flood, when its really just a few FPS drops in the huge bucket of 450 or so fantasy based tab-targetted RPGs.

The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

• corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member

Originally posted by Uronksur

and yet i bet if i looked at your post history, i bet i wouldn't see you complaining about the

half-dozen TIMES SEVENTY-FIVE

nearly identical fantasy MMOs coming out.

The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

• notquitenotquite GlasgowPosts: 17Member

... and wasn't the world just waiting for Tabula Rasa 2? (That was rhetorical, don't answer.)

• goemoegoemoe HannoverPosts: 183Member Uncommon

looks dull and boring to me^^

• IshkalIshkal Schaumburg, ILPosts: 42Member

hahahaha the best footage they had was 20 noobs killing crabs in a fenced in area  : /

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon

We will have to see how it plays. At this point, all I'm looking for is an entertaining game.  I've pretty much given up on waiting for Firefall. When/If they ever get out of beta, I'll give it a try. Tera starts in may, and I plan to play that for awhile. Unless CCP eventually releases DUST 514 on PC, I'm not going to play it. I'm not relearning my FPS reflexes for console, when mouse and keyboard are so much better. 

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon

Originally posted by notquite

... and wasn't the world just waiting for Tabula Rasa 2? (That was rhetorical, don't answer.)

Hell, I know I am... I really enjoyed that game (warts and all).  Base defense (or offense) against the Bane was one of my favorite parts of the game. I'd be VERY interested in seeing someone either bring it back, or develop a game like it. 

• StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member

I'm really looking forward to this title. This genre is severely lacking in the FPS department. I have a feeling this will be better than Firefall