Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wayback Wednesday New Show by MMORPG

GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Hello Everyone!

I'm Rob "Grakulen" Lashley and I am the host of the new live show Wayback Wednesday.

You can watch the show live every Wednesday at 2130 EDT 2030 CDT 0130 GMT. (for everyone else check out http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc) I apprecaite you but I can't list them all.

The first week we covered EVE online and you can catch a recap here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaCYmYQJzcA

The second week we covered Age of Conan: Unleased and I had Craig Morrison of Funcom with me and you can see the full video here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/191/videoId/2351

I will be polishing that up and releasing a recap later this weekend.

Episode Number 3 on March 28th will be EQ and it looks like we might have people from SOE on board to come talk with me.

We will also be covering in future episodes DAoC, EQII, FFXI, DDO, and AO.  This is just a starting list and there is a good chance that we will be able to have Devs or CMs for most of the episodes.

Here is where you come in.  What games do YOU want to see, and what questions do YOU want asked?  No I will not ask them why they banned you from their forums but if it is a legit question I will run it past them.

I think we have some great shows in the works and with your help and support I think we can have some serious fun.

Thanks

-Grak

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

can you beg the people at DAOC to go free to play :D plzzzzzz lol. I want to play it but the game is in serious need of some new players to boom the economy and lower level zones for parties. :D (wishful thinking)

Enjoy the videos!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

I don't know about begging but that is a question I want to ask.

Hey everyone,

Tomorrow's episode of Wayback Wednesday will focus on Everquest and its impressive 13 year run.  Recently it converted to F2P and this game is basically the Godfather of the modern MMO.  Joining me will be Thom Terraza the producer for EQ.

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom

Hope to see you there!

-Grak

Next week is DAoC (April 4th).  Any burning questions?

Kai the senior community manager for Mythic will be joining us on Wayback Wednesday.

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Grakulen,

It would be interesting to have a comparative review between the genres. I see you hitting up alot of the older games like EQ, Vanguard, and DAoC. I would be interested in seeing a review of how their philosophies compare to the philosphies of the newer players/games like Blizzard, EA (SWTOR) and possibly GW2.

It would be interesting to see how developers and/or producers of the newer generation of games differ in their philosophy of what makes a good MMORPG from the older generation games.

It would also be interesteing to hear about opinions and philosphies between F2P companies like SOE and Turbine. How they differ, what is important to them, what they focus on, and what they feel makes them successful over their competitors.

I am sure at this point getting interviews with some people is more complicated than it is with others, just offering some ideas. Reviews are so common, issues like where the genre is going, why some aspects of the genre are dying out regardless of player demand, and issues and/or ideas about how F2P is changing the genre are really interesting topics.

Hey thanks for the feedback.  

I understand exactly what you mean and I'll start trying to incorporate some of those questions in my upcoming interviews.

-Grak

There will not be a Wayback Wednesday for 4/11/12.  We will have a special stream involving the release of F2P Aion 3.0.

Wednesday April 18th, 2012 will be EQ2!

• Lauski007Lauski007 Member Posts: 5

I'd like to add a suggestion to do one on Asheron's Call. Released in 1999, AC was that other (fairly) big hitter in the room that you played if you weren't into EQ.

Specifically, I'd love to hear their team comment on what they think of the recent push by many companies, developing new MMOs to tout:

• Classless designs and/or lack of holy trinity

• A focus on action-oritented combat

• An open, fully explorable main world/area, with no loads

• Better player individuality / customization (via char creation / unique gear)

• Content Scaling or mechanisms to allow players to play together despite [Low to Moderate] differences in level

... where Asheron's Call has had all these elements 13 years ago.

Are we seeing history repeat itself, where gamers cyclically move from one green lawn to the other, or has Asheron's Call been right all along, but just too underground to notice?

How about "Asheron's Call 3"? I'd love to go back to Dereth. I *do* care more about gameplay than graphics generally, but everyone has point where they draw the line.

I absolutely want to do AC and I will touch on most of the subjects you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback.  I hope you enjoy the show.

• Lauski007Lauski007 Member Posts: 5

You bet. I have enjoyed so far and am probably going to watch the ones that I haven't even played. Great concept & keep up the good work.

Just as a reminder this Wednesday is EQ2 (4/18/12) followed by Anacrchy Online on 4/25/12.

Anarchy Online tonight!

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546
    Is the AO streamcast archived anywheres yet?

~\_/~\_O

It is up on my youtube.com/thegrakulen
    This week is DDO.

On May 9th we will do FFXI.  One of my friends that has 11 level 99s will be joining us.  He is insane.

On May 16th I'll be doing UO and Pokket will guest host with me.

No WW on the 13th due to other game commitments but look out for FFXI on the 20th!