Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My fear... The Secret Hellgate DDO (only smaller)

xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

I'll admit up front that I am not ultra versed to all of the hidden aspects of this game.

That said, I cannot shake the feeling that the game world will be rather small and boxed in. Instead of travelling the sewers to new areas, you travel thru an underground area to enter the zones. Reminds me of Hellgate and DDO (sans the sewers). Which I enjoyed... but neither title warranted a monthly sub IMO.

No mounts (correct?), be it cars, buses, ect. Leads me to think that the zones are smallish.

And sadly, after HZ and DnL, I no longer believe in miracle patches, after launch addons, or the tooth-fairy. But I do like Cake!

Anyone else getting this vibe?

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Nope

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Yep.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

yeah, to a point anyways.  i think it has a better chance to fail than be a huge success.  but, i dont think they are really going for huge numbers.  in there last quarterly report they plan to have 500k subs after a year.  and the info ive read would suggest that they are planning to start off smallish and grow over that year.  most new mmo's go the the other route.  big hype, sell a million copies or so at launch, bleed subs til they get down to a more realistic number.  i do hope they do well though.

I've got the straight edge.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I see it like this, Main city hubs are separated instances and to get to playfields it would be similar to age of conan loading.

Streets in these cities are much to small to be viable for vehicles, Open Playfields of course may have the potential.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• nezbelnezbel Member UncommonPosts: 47

I have my own reservations about how Secret World is gonna be as well but I can also see it isn't just open world. I mean your not playing some adventurer. Your playing a person that is part of an organization and gets sent to certain locations when something comes up your organization wants you to check out. They is why a lot of the "dungeons" start off with what seems like LZ drops.

I think the combat game play is going to be more of a let down but that's just from videos that I see, you can't really say until you actually play. There is suppose to be a lot of depth in the game but again that's something we can't really tell much about until getting our hands on it.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by brody71

yeah, to a point anyways.  i think it has a better chance to fail than be a huge success.  but, i dont think they are really going for huge numbers.  in there last quarterly report they plan to have 500k subs after a year.  and the info ive read would suggest that they are planning to start off smallish and grow over that year.  most new mmo's go the the other route.  big hype, sell a million copies or so at launch, bleed subs til they get down to a more realistic number.  i do hope they do well though.

+1

You are one of the few that actually understand TSW is going for 500k-1mil playerbase and doesn't intend to hit the mainstream. Some people on these forums expect every new game to reach 4 million subs in two months or it's automaticaly a failed game. Much like SWTOR which measly has 1.5-2.5mil subs which in any case is not a failure, far from it.

TSW isn't game for everyone and they are not intending to be.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Originally posted by brody71

+1

You are one of the few that actually understand TSW is going for 500k-1mil playerbase and doesn't intend to hit the mainstream. Some people on these forums expect every new game to reach 4 million subs in two months or it's automaticaly a failed game. Much like SWTOR which measly has 1.5-2.5mil subs which in any case is not a failure, far from it.

TSW isn't game for everyone and they are not intending to be.

+2

I would be more than fine to play a game that is small (in terms of people) and have fun in it than one where there are millions of people and not even half of them are worth the chat.

If the game for some reason stays "small" and only finds a niche' with a few 100k people, good chance that those people are playing for the same reason I am, which means more common interest in my game, meaning more FUN.  As long as the company keeps the game alive, making new content and such, I'll be happy.  Looking forward ot this game.