Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to build a new pc

robgyorgyrobgyorgy Member Posts: 105

k i have never ordered a pc in parts and put it together ><.

my problem wont be putting it together tbh but more like i donno what to buy parts wise.

i have an account with newegg atm and id like to order from them. im looking for something around 1500-2000$ top end gaming pc with whtever needs to be in it for top end gaming. please list me ALL the things i would need to buy and setup. TY

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Assuming you don't need new peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, surge protector):

Power supply/case combo deal:  $174

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.867857

There's a promo code on the power supply, so make sure you use that.

Processor/heatsink combo deal:  $249 before a $10 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.892705

Motherboard/memory combo deal:  $170 before a $10 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.883327

There's a promo code on the motherboard.  If it won't let you use it with the combo deal, then break the combo deal, as the promo code on the motherboard is a $15 discount, while the combo deal is only $10.

Solid state drive:  $149

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448

Hard drive:  $106

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Not sure how much capacity you need, so I picked 1 TB arbitrarily.

Optical drive:  $18

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Use the promo code for free shipping.

Operating system:  $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Video card:  $538

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125408

If you happen to prefer Nvidia, here's the problem:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600315498&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20600%20series

A good price on a product you can't buy defeats the point of looking for a good price.

Total:  $1504, including shipping and before rebates.

If you also need new peripherals, then buy new peripherals.  Actually, on your budget, even if you already have old peripherals that you can reuse, if you have a surge protector but not a UPS, you might want to consider getting a UPS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102133

• robgyorgyrobgyorgy Member Posts: 105

now i got a question tho. see i already ordered a pc from ibuypower atm but that pc is gonna end up being my wifes pc (which im going to use for a while)

shud i go with ur build... or shud i wait(thinking till about september) and hope to get something better for the buck?

also isnt the i7 better then the i5?

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

In the computer world you will always be waiting, haha. 

true but u see i just talked to my wife and she made a valid point. ill be gone in 3 months on a 2 month vacation so for in the mean time i can play on the new pc i got from ibuypower which shud do fine. but my thing is is anything new coming out soon?worth the wait?or not?

Originally posted by robgyorgy

If you're running programs that would be able to put eight cores to good use if you had them, then yes.  For games, no.

If you wait until September, the basic differences will be:

1)  You'll be able to get an Ivy Bridge processor instead of Sandy Bridge.  At stock speeds, that means 10% more performance for the same price.  We have no idea how well Ivy Bridge will overclock as compared to Sandy Bridge, which overclocks very well.

2)  AMD's Vishera might be out.  It probably won't be better for gaming than Ivy Bridge, but we don't know for certain just yet.  When Trinity (which will be a nifty chip for laptops and probably low budget desktops, but not for you) launches in May, we'll have a pretty good idea of how Vishera will perform.

3)  The GeForce GTX 680 will finally be in stock after a very soft launch, giving you an Nvidia option for a high end video card in addition to the AMD option you can buy today.

4)  Prices on solid state drives, hard drives, and video cards will probably have dropped a little.  Prices on other hardware will probably be roughly unchanged from today.  I'd expect total system-wide savings in the neighborhood of $100.

5)  Windows 8 could conceivably be out, though rumors say it won't be.

true but u see i just talked to my wife and she made a valid point. ill be gone in 3 months on a 2 month vacation so for in the mean time i can play on the new pc i got from ibuypower which shud do fine. but my thing is is anything new coming out soon?worth the wait?or not?

What did you get from iBuyPower, anyway?  They give you the options to get something really nice, or to seriously screw up your build and get an overpriced piece of junk.

well the only thing i dont know about on ibuypower is the powersupply.

i got a i5-2400

nvidia gforce gtx560 2gb

windows 7

forgot the name of the case

just a 500gb drive

8 gigs of ram

and the rest is whtever they include in the price. its gonna be my wifes pc so idc realy :P

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you're running programs that would be able to put eight cores to good use if you had them, then yes.  For games, no.

If you wait until September, the basic differences will be:

1)  You'll be able to get an Ivy Bridge processor instead of Sandy Bridge.  At stock speeds, that means 10% more performance for the same price.  We have no idea how well Ivy Bridge will overclock as compared to Sandy Bridge, which overclocks very well.

2)  AMD's Vishera might be out.  It probably won't be better for gaming than Ivy Bridge, but we don't know for certain just yet.  When Trinity (which will be a nifty chip for laptops and probably low budget desktops, but not for you) launches in May, we'll have a pretty good idea of how Vishera will perform.

3)  The GeForce GTX 680 will finally be in stock after a very soft launch, giving you an Nvidia option for a high end video card in addition to the AMD option you can buy today.

4)  Prices on solid state drives, hard drives, and video cards will probably have dropped a little.  Prices on other hardware will probably be roughly unchanged from today.  I'd expect total system-wide savings in the neighborhood of $100.

5)  Windows 8 could conceivably be out, though rumors say it won't be.

well a heads up would be im not a amd/radeon type of guy im all about intel and nvidia. so i guess ill just wait till september to buy then even tho im itching to buy one now :P ill keep this post in mind and if i decide to buy in september ill repost and hopefully u can help me out then too ^_^

heres the build i have for the ibuypower pc

Operating System

(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit Edition)

Arrives by Wed., Apr 11

$105.00

Memory

(4 x 2GB = 8GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module)

Arrives by Wed., Apr 11

$49.00

Hard Drive

(500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)

Arrives by Wed., Apr 11

$85.00

Case

(NZXT Lexa-S Chassis, Black)

Arrives by Wed., Apr 11

$103.00

Motherboard & Processor

(Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core Processor with Motherboard)

Arrives by Wed., Apr 11

$278.00

Graphics Card

(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card)

Arrives by Wed., Apr 11

$289.00

Optical Drive

(24X DVD+/-RW DL Optical Drive)

Arrives by Wed., Apr 11

$20.00

i will find out when it arrives :P

well the only thing i dont know about on ibuypower is the powersupply.

i got a i5-2400

nvidia gforce gtx560 2gb

windows 7

forgot the name of the case

just a 500gb drive

8 gigs of ram

and the rest is whtever they include in the price. its gonna be my wifes pc so idc realy :P

The power supply is the biggest thing I'd worry about when buying from them, as they sell some truly awful ones--as in, sparks, smoke, and dead hardware awful.  If you got a "standard" power supply from them, you'd best replace it yourself as soon as it arrives.  Or better yet, if there's still time to change your order, then you might want to do so.

The point of paying more for an Intel processor rather than a cheaper AMD processor is that you can get something a lot faster than AMD offers.  But only if you actually buy something a lot faster, like the 2500K (or 2500 if you're certain that you're not going to overclock), not the 2400.

Unless you're running a monitor resolution higher than 1920x1200, 2 GB of video memory isn't really an advantage over 1 GB, and the 2 GB cards tend to be a lot more expensive.  Though looking at their site, it looks like they bought way too many of the 2 GB cards and are now trying to get rid of them by selling them at the same price as the 1 GB cards.  I guess that means there's no real sense in getting a 1 GB GeForce GTX 560.

Though the 2 GB GeForce GTX 560 isn't such a good deal, either, when you can get the same performance from a Radeon HD 6870 for $70 cheaper.  I realize that you said you preferred Nvidia.  But paying an extra $70 for an Nvidia logo rather than an AMD one, with no performance advantage?

If you don't get an SSD, then the computer will be slow.  But that's a question of whether it fits your budget.

From iBuyPower's options, the correct power supply for you to choose for that computer is a Corsair TX V2 series power supply.  650 W is more than enough.  The "Standard" and Thermaltake TR2 power supplies are junk.

sadly my order has been done. i cant back up now unless i wanna return it when it arrives and then yet again wait for 10 days for a new 1. i dont think i can do that

i was gonna go for the i5-2500 but i somehow misscalculated my budget on my credit card and i changed it to the 2400( bad mistake i know)

like i said. this will be my wifes pc she will only play wow and thats about it. all i want this pc to do ATM is keep me playing tera/gw2/diablo3 on fairly high options. if it does that im happy with the purchase. i will take ur word tho and buy a powersupply will i find it at bestbuy by any chance?

oh and the ibuypower comes off of the walmart page so i didnt get any options for powersupply or ssd ><

oh and the ibuypower comes off of the walmart page so i didnt get any options for powersupply or ssd ><

In that case, it's definitely a cheap junk power supply of the sort that you should replace immediately.  If you go to Worst Buy and ask what power supply to get, if you're lucky, they'll point you toward something random.  If not so lucky, they might point you toward "this is the one that gives us the largest profit margin".  If you have to ask what power supply to get, then you shouldn't go to Worst Buy to get it.

This power supply is very nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

If you're looking for something cheaper that will be good enough, this will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Note the $20 off promo code on both; without that, they're not such great deals.

New Egg is very quick with shipping, so if you live in the contiguous United States and order tonight, you'll probably have it this week.

Originally posted by Aori

Ok well buy a power supply now to replace the generic 350 or if you're lucky 600 psu. Newegg has some good promotions going on right now and you'll probably get it before your pc arrives. I wouldnt take the chance..

I highly doubt your got a quality psu

Given iBuyPower's business model, it will probably be something to the effect of a power supply that says "700 W" on the label, but will explode if you try to pull 500 W from it and start causing problems far below that.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if someone tried to prosecute some of the worst power supply companies for fraud.

when they say ups 3 day guaranteed is that from the day u order it or after they ship it?which would take how long?

im talking about newegg btw

when they say ups 3 day guaranteed is that from the day u order it or after they ship it?which would take how long?

im talking about newegg btw

UPS promises that it will get to you within 3 days from when New Egg ships it.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it will take the full three days.  New Egg's major warehouses are in California, Tennessee, and New Jersey, and they'll try to ship from the nearest one if they have a product at multiple sites.  If they have to ship a product across the country, it probably does take the full three days.  If the only have to send it 300 miles, UPS will probably get it there in one day.

If you order tonight, then New Egg will probably ship it Tuesday (which may or may not be today, depending on where you live), as they're pretty quick.

k heres another scenario( i apolagise for all these complications)

i just had a talk with my wife and she agrees with me. if i were to cancel my order and just get the refund from walmart,

and spend about the same on new egg would u guys be bale to help me out here?

now the trickie question is this. will the pc from walmart last till i get this 1 from newegg?without changing the powersupply or what not.

also the new build will be for my wife(like the ibuypower i bought) it has to be under 1000 including shipping(casual gaming pc, doesnt have to be to much or to less, somwhere in the middle if ossible speed/power wise)

appreciate all the help u guys give me i cant thank you enough

and spend about the same on new egg would u guys be bale to help me out here?

also the new build will be for my wife(like the ibuypower i bought) it has to be under 1000 including shipping(casual gaming pc, doesnt have to be to much or to less, somwhere in the middle if ossible speed/power wise)

If you buy parts and assemble it yourself, then $1000 will get you something a lot better than what you bought from Wal-Mart.  If you're interested in going that route, I could pick parts for a $1000 gaming computer for you.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Hubby just built this for me:

I5 2500k CPU

ASUS P8Z68 - V/GEN3 Motherboard

16GB 1600 MHZ Memory (Cosair)

MSI 7850 twin frozr Video card

Cosair Force GT SSD (running Intel smart response technology)

Western Digital 1TB hard drive

750 W Cosair PSU

LG Blu Ray optical drive

ANTEC P280 case

Windows 7 64bit

What do you guys think...seems to run very fast, is very quiet and makes SWTOR look good!

could u possibly keep it under 1000?the more savings the better as long as i get a pc that will just be better then what i have atm

running a gateway fx atm intel quad core 2.5ghz radeon hd 5570 6 gb ram

i just need a pc for my wife which ill be using for now till i come back in sept and get mine.

i dont want it high tech but i dont want it bad either. cheers

Originally posted by garretth

I5 2500k CPU

750 W Cosair PSU

LG Blu Ray optical drive

ANTEC P280 case

Windows 7 64bit

What do you guys think...seems to run very fast, is very quiet and makes SWTOR look good!

price?

Hubby says about $1600...already had the SSD.

Pricey...but he felt it was time for me to upgrade.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

I5 2500k CPU

750 W Cosair PSU

LG Blu Ray optical drive

ANTEC P280 case

Windows 7 64bit

How much?

Originally posted by caremuchless

I5 2500k CPU

750 W Cosair PSU

LG Blu Ray optical drive

ANTEC P280 case

Windows 7 64bit

How much?

Hubby says about $1600.00 and it went together very quickly.  The case is a bit longer than old case but plenty of room on the inside for goodies...well laid out and easy access for hardware.

i cant wait to see what this gentlemen finds me for a pc build. i donno why i get so excited over new pc's everytime. :P