Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2, or Diablo 3 & Why..

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Guild Wars 2.  Diablo 3.  Two Massively multiplayer buy to play juggernauts being released this year.  Now im not A fanboy here to discuss which one is better, and im most likely purchasing both.  But for someone who isnt...which should they buy? and Why? 

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

They come out in seperate months. Both are buy once to play/not sub. Ill probably preorder GW2, then buy Diablo3 when it comes out to wait for GW2.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Getting both!  lol

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Im getting Diablo 3 for sure. It is going to be polished as hell and thats how I like my games. Ill get GW2 a month after launch after the reviews are in if they are positive.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by garretth

Getting both!  lol

Dual wielding ftw. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I already own Diablo 3. The reason why is because in beta I'm having a blast. I will wait on GW 2 and check out reviews after release.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

@OP,  isnt diablo an online action rpg? thats not mmorpg. If you like both you can get both. Different type of games = different experience.

• I just can't really play another action rpg there have been tons and just so little variation.

I would go with Guild Wars 2.  Does anyone think D3 is really going to do anything even vaguely new for the action RPG?  And it looks rather buttoned down too. 

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Originally posted by rojo6934

@OP,  isnt diablo an online action rpg? thats not mmorpg. If you like both you can get both. Different type of games = different experience.

Guild Wars 1 tends to be considered an MMO by most people and it is no different than Diablo 2 or Diablo 3 from where I stand.  You have "instanced" worlds with limited group sizes.  And then you have a chat room with your avatar standing around.  The only MMO part of Guild Wars 1 was the town areas if I'm not mistaken?

You would have to define MMO as a game which allows X number of players to activly participate in a majority of the game features simultaneously. 

What is X? 

Does MMO mean more than 8 players at once?  More than 50?  More than 200?  If the answer is more than 200, SWTOR is not an MMO as it limits the number of players per area/instance to 199.

Also, MMO's typically have persistant worlds, while Diablo 3 and Guildwars 1 does not.

I haven't played Guild Wars 2, but I believe it does allow 100's of players in a single zone fighting the same creatures along with a persistant world.

Honestly, I think Diablo 3 will offer more multiplayer enjoyment than any MMORPG out today.  I say this because Diablo 3 is a "Looking for Group" designed game.  It will find you groups of players and dump you right into the action with them.  Most MMO's you'll log in and often spend 30-40 minutes trying to gather enough people for a dungeon run.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

So, we are assuming a person will only ever have enough money for one of the 2 games then? How patient is the person...since Diablo 3 is around the corner and GW2 is comming out...????

Your question is pretty vague and dificult to give a reasonable answer to. I would say Guild Wars 2 if you just want the most game for you money. Being an actual MMO it will likely have more content and replayability through a greater number of race/class options. Diablo 3 is just a lobby based Isometric Action RPG...be it an incredibly well made one with lots of polish, but lacking features of a true MMO. GW1 was more MMO than Diablo3, and I dont consider GW1 a real MMO either.

I greatly enjoy both Genres and will likely be picking both up day 1.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Painlezz

Guild Wars 1 tends to be considered an MMO by most people and it is no different than Diablo 2 or Diablo 3 from where I stand.  You have "instanced" worlds with limited group sizes.  And then you have a chat room with your avatar standing around.  The only MMO part of Guild Wars 1 was the town areas if I'm not mistaken?

You would have to define MMO as a game which allows X number of players to activly participate in a majority of the game features simultaneously. 

What is X? 

Does MMO mean more than 8 players at once?  More than 50?  More than 200?  If the answer is more than 200, SWTOR is not an MMO as it limits the number of players per area/instance to 199.

Also, MMO's typically have persistant worlds, while Diablo 3 and Guildwars 1 does not.

I haven't played Guild Wars 2, but I believe it does allow 100's of players in a single zone fighting the same creatures along with a persistant world.

Honestly, I think Diablo 3 will offer more multiplayer enjoyment than any MMORPG out today.  I say this because Diablo 3 is a "Looking for Group" designed game.  It will find you groups of players and dump you right into the action with them.  Most MMO's you'll log in and often spend 30-40 minutes trying to gather enough people for a dungeon run.

Most people consider GW1 a Co-op RPG, just as it's literally explained on the Guild Wars website. It doesn't really apply in this case. But yes you are correct, GW2 is an actual MMO environment with a persistant world and lots of people playing in it. 

I'm with the others in the thread, I don't see how one game is going to affect your decision over the other; that you ahve the option to play with others doesn't make Diablo 3 anymore an MMO than it makes Neverwinter 1/2 an MMO. They're good games, but they're still different genres. It doesn't matter than you can pop into a dungeon with a handful of people, you're not going to get a ~massive multiplayer~ game out of Diablo 3, which is what the 'MM' part of 'MMORPG' means. 

Get both. Like it or not, you're going to eventually beat Diablo 3. It's not an MMO, it's a game that has an official beginning and end and when you reach the end, you're probably going to want something else to play, or at least something you can participate with others in large-scale MMO-style gameplay. Something more than just like, 4 people.

EDIT - No, just because there's hundreds of people sitting in a lobby doesn't make it an MMO. I know you were thinking it. Stopit.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Uh, why do they both have to be MMOs?

He could have said Diablo 3 or a puppy you can only choose one and state why.

Then you say: a puppy because its cuter.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Overhead games are crusty in 2012 and im kinda burned on them so GW2 is my first choice but since D3 will release first i will end up with both..heheheh

Playing GW2..

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

Do you want a MMO or a lobby based RPG with Co-op elements that maxes at 4 people per game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Diablo 3 isn't an MMO, and seeing as how it would more than likely only provide me with a few weeks entertainment just like its predecessors (and even Torchlight), I'm not interested.  I'll get it when it's cheap sometime in the future.  Even if I wasn't interested in GW2, I wouldn't be buying D3.

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

I have all diablo1/2 +xpac for both, so diablo3 is what i call a autoshelf. Will be buying both but will be full on GW2 then once the hype has settled ill install d3 and check it out

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Guild Wars 2.  Diablo 3.  Two Massively multiplayer buy to play juggernauts being released this year.  Now im not A fanboy here to discuss which one is better, and im most likely purchasing both.  But for someone who isnt...which should they buy? and Why? 

Diablo 3 has nothing to do with "massively" multiplayer.  Even less than recent releases that many in this neck of the woods have referred to as single player online games.  I mean you  have literally no way to view more than 6 people at a time.  At least in SWTOR or LOTRO or GW2 I can potentially see dozens to hundreds of players at a given time, even if it doesn't happen, it could happen.  It is an impossibility for this to happen in Diablo 3.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

What is X? 

OK why are you talking about gw1  This is about GW2 witch is a true mmorpg not an instanced base game like GW and no were near as single player as  D3 and D2.. So dont go bringing up games that have nothing to do with the topic of conversation to try and sell your point as being correct.   D3 is not an mmo in any shape or form  GW1 was called an mmo from the public only.  Arena net called it a Global online Roleplaying game.   

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

What is X? 

Even the creators of Guild Wars didn't refer to it as an mmorpg.  

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

I played Diablo II on and off for years.

However, I think I'll be passing up Diablo III until it's at a discounted price or until someone I know gives me the OK to buy it. Not that it doesn't look good, but I don't think it could ever be AS good as Diablo II for me (plus how many of the original D/D2 developers are even working on D3 ...). Also, some new elements that they have added to D3 actually replaced mechanics that I loved from the first game (Auction House replacing Bartering with players directly), which makes me a sad panda.

If I had to choose between GW2 and D3, I would go (and am going) with GW2. Mostly because everything they have added to GW2 has replaced things I did not like about GW1 (not vice versa as I stated earlier).

Instead of D3 as my hack-'n-slash dungeon crawler, I will be looking into Torchlight 2 and Path to Exile.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Getting both, but if i was forced to choose one, I'd go with GW2. Diablo 3 will be great in its own ways, but it will 'essentially' be an upgraded Diablo 2.

Guild Wars 2 seems to be an entirely new gaming experience. Sure it has typical MMO elements, but I love the art style, the combat, and the DAoC-style WvW.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

GW2 here.  Even though I enjoyed Diablo 1 and 2 ive since grown apart from non-MMO games and D3 is obviously not an MMO so it rules it out for me.  Plus I dislike the point and click movement and top down view.  If Diablo or another game was to ever come out using a 3rd person perspective with WASD movement in a Diablo styled world then you would have me hooked at least as a short term game until I completed the main story line.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

I already own Diablo 3. The reason why is because in beta I'm having a blast. I will wait on GW 2 and check out reviews after release.

Other than check what lovers or hater need to review im personally tell you  to chek it out by yourself and you can be the judge better than hearing  diferent people personal reason

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Neither.

GW2 doesn't appeal to me and Diablo 3 is P2W

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3

How about them apples.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I'm getting both.  Both look polished and should be fun to play in their own rights.