Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3D vs. 2D

Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Been really looking to get back into game developement and I have always worked with 2D graphics in the past. Thier just so much easier to work with and develope for. I also realize though that a lot of people refuse to touch anything 2D now-a-days. With that being said is better to make an uglier 3D game with the same systems or make a beautiful 2D one?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Those who want 3D graphics usually want it to be so good, that they wouldn't play a really bad-looking 3D game anyway. But if it's beautiful 2D graphics, you'll only lose those who need it to be 3D graphics.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

When Nintendo let a screenshot of a fully rendered Link from the Legend of Zelda franchise leak some years back, I was freaking out.  I jumped for joy because Link was getting a highly detailed 3-D makeover.

Fast forward a little to the first screenshots of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and I about blew a gasket.

I was pissed!

Fast forward a little more, and I got my hot little hands on a copy of Wind Waker, and OMG!  WOW!  It was freakin' amazing!

I had no idea cell-shaded graphics could look so cool, yet be so simplistic!

I think if your artwork is beautifully done, there's probably going to be a market for you, and skeptics might be forced to eat their words.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Make a beautiful 3D game, of course.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I would rather have a not so good looking 3D game, that flows good, than a beautiful 2D game, unless it's like Castle Crashers or something image

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I am torn really...I like both.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

For every dimension you add to your project eligible people who can work on it goes down by 10 times.   This does not just refer to art direction, but also to things like world seamlessness, persistant data, and similar.   Going 3D easily adds a few more dimensions to your project, you have your artist requirements and your IT requirements.   To get something that looks "quality" you're going to need a few people in both fields(just because someone has a knack for making awesome low poly models doesn't mean they can make a good animation.   Same goes for Programmers when you start comparing compression/shader-tech/optimization and similar).

To get decent art you're looking at $20-$60 an hour.   Then from this point you need to take into consideration the difference between 2D and 3D, and how much more time it will take.   For someone "just looking to get back into it" it's probably going to be a no brainer.  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I preffer really well made 2D over really well made 3D.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

i love 2d isometric games. So many good games like : Ultima Online, original syndicate, starcraft, fallout, baulders gate, icewind dale and so many other classics

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by anemo

For every dimension you add to your project eligible people who can work on it goes down by 10 times.   This does not just refer to art direction, but also to things like world seamlessness, persistant data, and similar.   Going 3D easily adds a few more dimensions to your project, you have your artist requirements and your IT requirements.   To get something that looks "quality" you're going to need a few people in both fields(just because someone has a knack for making awesome low poly models doesn't mean they can make a good animation.   Same goes for Programmers when you start comparing compression/shader-tech/optimization and similar).

To get decent art you're looking at $20-$60 an hour.   Then from this point you need to take into consideration the difference between 2D and 3D, and how much more time it will take.   For someone "just looking to get back into it" it's probably going to be a no brainer.  

this is very true.  

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Crusix221

Been really looking to get back into game developement and I have always worked with 2D graphics in the past. Thier just so much easier to work with and develope for. I also realize though that a lot of people refuse to touch anything 2D now-a-days. With that being said is better to make an uglier 3D game with the same systems or make a beautiful 2D one?

Could do with more context. What do you have in mind?

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Umm..Its not well done 3D vs well done 2D.

Its HD Well Made 2D vs Poorly Done 3D.

I vote for the 2D.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Castillle

Umm..Its not well done 3D vs well done 2D.

Its HD Well Made 2D vs Poorly Done 3D.

I vote for the 2D.

Yeah that was pretty clear.  I also voted for 2D.

My point was that I would even take 2D over good 3D.  I think it can be implied that I would also take them over crappy 3D.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I can deal with either, but I really have been looking for a Vanillaware-quality 2D one since... forever.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    2d makes a lot of sense for indie and small studio devs, let's them bring innovative gameplay while keeping the costs down.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Also 2d games can be a success.

Terraria & the binding of Isaac spring to mind

Then you've got the option of going 2.5d with isometric environment and 3d models e.g. Torchlight
  • MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    I don't like 2D too much but I hate poor 3D imple,emtation, so voted good 2D.
  • jliew911jliew911 Member Posts: 6

I jumped for joy because Link was getting a highly detailed 3-D makeover.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

we dont care what dimension your game is. we care what content it has that is inventive. thats all we care about anymore! let the masses speak!!!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• adiktusadiktus Member Posts: 128

I prefer a well-made 2D game. I like the graphics of Suikoden V even if it's cartoonish and 2.5D-ish graphics. I prefer it a thousand times over Suikoden IV's 3D but mediocre graphics.

• Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Thanks for the input and to those who mentioned it; yes its a no brianer for me. I will be working with 2D because I have done projects in 2D and know people who work with 2D sprites/tiles/etc. I just wanted to make sure there were sitll people out there to make 2D games for!

Since some of you asked for an example heres my old project I did using RMXP tiles, I plan to use custom ones this time. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7z94pw4GI

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I voted 3d because of the freedom it brings to the camera(usually).  But in truth would depend upon the gameplay rather than the graphics.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I would choose the third option that you didn't include.  I wouldn't play either game.

The only time I play 2d games is on my mobile device.  

And I will not play a 2d or 3d game that has poor graphics because there are too many games out there with great 3d graphics and gameplay.  I would just play those good games over buying a 2d game or crappy looking 3d game.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Crusix221

Thanks for the input and to those who mentioned it; yes its a no brianer for me. I will be working with 2D because I have done projects in 2D and know people who work with 2D sprites/tiles/etc. I just wanted to make sure there were sitll people out there to make 2D games for!

Since some of you asked for an example heres my old project I did using RMXP tiles, I plan to use custom ones this time. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7z94pw4GI

If nothing else, you can make it a DLC game for Nintendo or Xbox.  I believe Xbox offers free XNA kits to garage programmers if you fill out an application on their site.  Some people love "old school" RPGs, and given you were off to a good start with your project that you linked, I'd be curious to see what you can do with more tools at your disposal.

Interesting premise on your fledgling title.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036
    Originally posted by deziwright

we dont care what dimension your game is. we care what content it has that is inventive. thats all we care about anymore! let the masses speak!!!

I care about both.

Although, a game with good content and poor graphics I can still stand to play, but pretty looking garbage is still garbage to me.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

me if i was a game maker i wouldnt support 1080p!max would be 1080i !