Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Nation & City Building Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Repopulation team has released a brand new trailer featuring nation and city building in the game. In addition, a new lore piece has cropped up on the official site called "Leeza's Story".

Leesa was not a brave person. She stood barely five foot, four inches, she had brown hair, brown eyes, and she would have brown skin, if she ever actually went into the sun. She was not fat, but nobody would ever call her ‘sylph-like’, sturdy was more often used to describe her. Short, sturdy and brown…that was Leesa.

She was nothing like her ‘brother’ Danald and her ‘sister’ Judeth. They were the other clones in her particular batch and they felt that strange sibling bond to each other. Though they shared nothing, not even one gene, only the machinery that created and grew them to adulthood at the same time. But Leesa, she was more timid than almost anyone else she knew. She sometimes wondered if there had been a flaw in her memory imprinting, taking her courage and giving a double dose to her ‘brother’.

Read more of Leeza's Story on the official The Repopulation site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dodsfalldodsfall Member UncommonPosts: 173

Actually, it looks like the actual structures are actually being actually placed. Actually, the characters are actually running around while the actual players actually are placing the actual objects. Actually,  the actual player uses the actual UI to actually place the actual structures. Actually, your actual friends who are actually playing with you can actually help you actually build the actual buildings as well. Actually.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

This game is starting to look pretty interesting, decent graphics and a lot of customization.  im gonna have to keep my eye on this one

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Well ... Actually :D

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

Looks great! Keep up the good work Repop team! 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

This is some impressively polished and professional stuff from such a small studio. How many people are on the team now? Halls, JC and who else?

I'm really blown away by how far this project has come!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

It's currently at 6 daily people, and a couple of contractors.

• zeus3715zeus3715 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Very good stuff, seems very SWG-FE-esque.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Looking rather awesome and just goes to show that a small team can show the real Hero Engine,Bioware should put out a disclaimer SWTOR does not use the full Hero Engine !!

p>
  • EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

nice video thanks. This game  could be quite interesting.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

wow it certainly looks promising. SWG jr? :)

• IroncladIronclad Member UncommonPosts: 71

Great video.  Really looking forward to alpha and beyond.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Crazy dudes talking actually made me not watch the entire video. It did look interesting though with the placing of buildings. I'll keep an ear on this game..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• jliew911jliew911 Member Posts: 6

Actually,  the actual player uses the actual UI to actually place the actual structures. Actually, your actual friends who are actually playing with you can actually help you actually build the actual buildings as well. Actually.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

While the actualy is actualy rather anoying the game is actualy quite good and i actualy look forward to this tittle.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by st4t1ck

This game is starting to look pretty interesting, decent graphics and a lot of customization.  im gonna have to keep my eye on this one

I just with they would spring for the remaining colours from Max 3D.  Brown and grey are great and all, but yellow, green and red are good too.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

sooo you can set your towers to peaceful and they will attack peaceful players... @-@ maybe i'v played too many war games over the years.. but to me thats anything but peaceful... peaceful normally means (do not attack) ... 

video looks cool... but kinda boring, i know hes explaining what you can do in the game but he really should be alittle more engergetic :/

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Thank you for the video. Keeping my eye on this one. I actually had no idea this game was even in the works but another user on this site tipped me off about it. And that is why I keep coming back to this site: they may be jaded, they may be haters but this community is still one of the best in my book (even when we are arguing your game sucks)...   image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Hmm, looks interesting. Certainly one to keep an eye on.

Feature Overview

• Hybrid approach which blends Sandbox and Theme Park mechanics.

• Unique three Faction PvP (Player vs. Player) system which allows players to join one of the two major Nations (OWON or FPR), or form their own independent Rogue Nation. Rogue Nations are similar to Guilds in other games, except they also act as their own independent faction in PvP.

• City building system allows Nations to form their own cities complete with Walls, Turrets, Harveters, Workshops, Houses, and other forms of structures geared towards benefiting the owning character, or the City as a whole. Cities can even be besieged by opposing Nations.

• Skills based gameplay featuring over 100 skills, and 15 tiers of advancement within each skill. This includes Combat, Social, Rogue, Crafting, Medical and General skills trees.

• Engagement system which provides randomly occuring events throughout the world. These events can evolve, spread and mutate based on how players respond to them. Visting the same location three times could provide you with three very different environments if players have allowed alien species or catastrophies alter an area. Engagements are both common and random, and all players who participate will be eligible for automatic rewards.

• Advanced generated mission (quest) system ensures that players always have something to keep them occupied. Unlike generated quest systems of the past, our generated quests can be epic in scale. 

• Easily toggle between one of our two combat modes. Tired of 1,2,3,4 key mashing combat? Try our Action Mode combat which allows you to aim and shoot your way to victory. Or stick to RPG Mode combat, with a traditional MMORPG feel. 

• Numerous new twists on combat traditional MMO combat. Openings system allows players to take advantage of create openings for their allies and encourages teamwork. Momentum system allows you to take advantage of gained Momentum to use powerful abilities. Hide behind cover, croutch or lie prone. Gain experience against a particular species to gain edges over them in combat.

• Players are not forced into combat. There are many non-combat related activities and ways to advance them independently of it. This includes an advanced crafting system which allows the creation of many advanced items.

• Vehicle system featuring upgrades, vehicle to vehicle combat, and siege vehicles, in addition to the usual fast transport. 

• Customize your equipment with a fitting system that tailors items to your style.

• Expect more from your pets. Tame animals and have them grow in power over time. Construct or purchase robots to perform a variety of tasks. Hire NPCs or take advantage of Genetically Engineered beings. Even control multiple pets at a single time.

• Be rewarded for your travel through the exploration system.

• Tired of farming the same Group or Raid bosses using the same old strategies? The Repopulation features a generated ability system for our boss mobs. This system allows bosses to a select number of abilities appropriate to their difficulty tier and species. This forces groups or raids to adjust their tactics on the fly.

• Have an affect on the world. NPCs will spread word of your deeds to other players, or curse your name if you have treated them wrongly. Respond quickly to threats in an area and you can prevent them from becoming larger scale problems. Fail to do so and an area could fall under enemy hands.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Item Degradation

Also of importance is the ability for most fittings to be removed and the capabilities for fittings to be consumed. Most fittings in the game will be able to be removed from socket and can exchanged or traded with another player through the auction system. We also are going to support consumable fittings (item degradation). You will have the option of using up a fitting slot to slow this process down as well as some fittings will support a quicker rate of item degradation in return for slightly elevated stats. We wish to build a world that supports crafters and skilled repairers while still allowing for a player not to have to repair every time they turn around so we will have a system in place that is fair to both situations.

Wow, now there's an awesome game mechanic you don't see much anymore.

Good stuff.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Pets

Pets are another long-time staple in MMORPGs. In the Repopulation pets play a major role, and all characters can have them. There are three types of pets in the Repopulation: Robotics, Genetically Engineered and Tamed. Each of these pets is acquired in a different manner, and has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, which will be covered shortly.

Robotics

Robotic pets are expensive but offer the widest variety of functions. They serve specific roles and can be used as medical robots, assistance, etc. Robotic pets will never turn on their master. Robots can be used many times, but do require fresh batteries. They will never be permanently destroyed. Since robots can be purchased from other players and due to their ability to perform different duties, they make good general purpose or specialized pets.

Robotic pets are quite vulnerable to Electro-magnetic Pulse attacks, and can also be improved or sabotaged by Robotic Engineers.

Genetically Engineered Pets

Genetically engineered pets are created using the Genetic Engineering skill tree. This process involves gathering a DNA sample of the species of animal that you wish to produce, and then creating the pet through crafting. Advanced Genetic Engineers can combine DNA types to create hybrid pets.

The big advantage of genetically engineered pets is that they can use the special abilities of their species, though typically genetically engineered pets are less powerful than the monsters they were cloned from.

The downside to genetically engineered pets is that they will perish forever when killed. Each creation is like a one charge pet. When that pet dies, you will need to create another. You can stack these pets though and carry a number around. These pets can be purchased from other players.

Tamed Pets

Tamed pets are obtained through the Animal Taming skill. This only works on certain species and they must be tamed when they are young. Young pets are not very powerful at all, but they will slowly grow in power as they age.

Tamed pets are interesting in that they can have some special attacks, and when they fully mature they can be quite powerful. They will not immediately perish if they are defeated in game, but they do rely on the Veterinary Medicine skill to keep them going. Veterinary Medicine can heal or cure tamed pets of their ilnesses.

Over time as your pet dies more often they will take ill health. It is very important that a Veterinarian gives them proper attention. Otherwise this pet could be permanently killed.

Ok, now we're talking. This game is officially on my watch list.

*flashbacks to SWG and Gurreks...*

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Zekiah

Ok, now we're talking. This game is officially on my watch list.

*flashbacks to SWG and Gurreks...*

this

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I just signed up for the Alpha. I hope I get in  since I've been keeping up with this game since I first heard about it.  

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Very cool list of features, and I like the look of the game so far.  Definitely one to watch.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I hope I can setup my own business and be independant of the AH. If yes then how will pvp come in to play if I don't want to be part of it. I don't want some one to come along and destroy my shop. They say no forced combat so not sure what they mean by this. Will have to do some research for the game does look interesting.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

I hope I can setup my own business and be independant of the AH. If yes then how will pvp come in to play if I don't want to be part of it. I don't want some one to come along and destroy my shop. They say no forced combat so not sure what they mean by this. Will have to do some research for the game does look interesting.

from what i read on their PVP/factions, there are 2 default groups that you spawn as, then the player made factions. plus a 4th which is a 100% non-faction. for non-pvp you basicly stick to the "safezones" of the main factions or join with a power block of players i guess. and that should keep you out of heavy pvp majority i think.  but i dont think they have really finished that mechanic so dont take my word for it.