Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514: Fanfest Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the recent FanFest, we had the chance to preview CCP's Dust 514, to find out more about this ground-breaking game. See what we discovered and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

When journalists use phrases such as "game-changer" and "groundbreaking" you could be forgiven for wanting to slap them "upside the head." For all of that bluster though, Dust 514 is one piece of software that might just be worthy of such highfaluting praise, and even a "this will change the way we think about gaming forever."

Please be gentle with my face.

Read more of Adam Tingle's DUST 514: Fanfest Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

This is truely innovation, the real stuff.

Another easy addittion to DUST, that I hope to see soon, is arena style matches with betting oppertunities, both within DUST and EVE-O, on the outcome. Imagine being an intergalactic gladiator! E-sporting at a new level.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

(O.o)  did that ground emplacement blow up that dread? I wish i had a PS3..i wanna blow up dreads too

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

I was always a hard enemy of consoles but now i think i will buy one. Thats direction in to new age of gaming

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Bring it on PC.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• missingpiecemissingpiece Member Posts: 1

@Jowen eSports gladiator style arena matches will be added in an expansion 2013; check out CCP Jian's announcements during the "CCP presents" keynote held at fanfest (youtube).

The article is right : we don't know whether it will work out. But it surely is the most exciting game design that is being forged this year, hell this decade. And it makes me -- up till now pure PC player and so not FPS -- wanting to land on a planet and get into the action.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I honestly think that CCP avoided an initial PC launch to avoid a sudden and rather large depletion of the Eve Online active player-base.

Many EO players will not play this game simply because they do not have a PS3....and many of those would never by one due to PC-eliteism, lack of funding or just don't care enough about a FPS to fork over money, even if they can afford it.

Remember, the downside of this whole integrated-game design is that if one game lacks for a player-base, both games suffer. On the flip-side, what if the vast majority of Dust players prefer the 'quick matches' as opposed to the eve-integrated combat...does that screw over the EvE players who need that support to conquer planets?

It's gonna be really interesting to see how this Plays out...as for me, my pilot was born on October 14th, 2004 and I own a PS3 and have been p,aging the hell out of BF3.....frankly, I cannot wait!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• VanithVanith Member UncommonPosts: 8

You have to be impressed by the innovation of linking DUST to EVE. If they actually pull it off, it will be a paradigm shift for marketing MMOs. Who needs WZ/BGs when you can just hop onto a different game and affect the game world?

Obviously the money making implications are there as well; we can now sell you two games instead of one. For the MMO player that likes a persistent world they can actually build - IMO, most veteran MMO players - you give them one side of the coin, EVE, and then potentially bring in the FPS audience by pandering to the COD/console crowd.

All things considered, it seems like a gran idea that will be very hard to successfully pull off. If CCP does make it happen though, game changer.

Also enough to get me to buy a PS3, so there's that.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

My view is this: EO has slowly grown over 7 or 8 years. It has ~30,000 people playing at any one time (optimistic number). 514 though, being only on the PS3, and geared towards a group of people who typically don't "do" long term things, will require 514 to be populated for YEARS to come. And FPS people are notorious for wanting the latest and greatest over and over again, MW3, BF3, etc etc.

How will a PS3 game maintain enough of a playerbase to support it's existance in Eve's "universe"?

It sounds great, but I get the feeling it's one of these "great ideas that didn't work" in the making, especially by limiting it to the PS3 (though I suppose that's one way to keep the FPS cheats down to a minimum).

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

As someone who loves the concept of EVE but never really got into it enough to stick with it, this is a great opportunity. It is a way I can be a part of a very cool online world, in a format I expect I will like (FPSs are only so varied, and generally I like them).

Assuming they pull it off, this will be a good time for me. Also, I already have a PS3. =)

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

WOW looks awsome

• deven07deven07 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I hear the ps4 won't be backwards compatable...so no, I'm not getting duped into the console moneysuck black hole thank you very much
  • albaficassalbaficass Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by XAleX360

Bring it on PC.

keep dreaming buddy

• Shawn964Shawn964 Member UncommonPosts: 28

This is going to be great.

But in my opinion I'd rather have BF3 players in this than COD players. Why?

"COD player"-"I dont like this, the maps are to huge, to many tanks"

Can't wait for this to come out, truly innovative.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Seeing as the game uses unreal engine and epic will be releasing dev tools for ps4. Backwards compatibility is not that big a factor.
  • gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

titan is going to be the same thing as this game but with a setting thats more based on our world