Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Best of PAX East 2012 Awards

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

PAX East is one of the first game conventions of the year and we had a team of boots on the ground. Once the dust settled on the weekend, we compiled a 'best of' list for MMORPG.com. See which games took our top honors in Best of PAX East 2012 Awards.

PAX (whether East or Prime) is the show for gamers, not press, but that doesn't mean the press isn't abound and scouting the next crop of games for what's going to be huge and what's going to be a dud.  At this year's PAX East in Boston, we saw every MMO available for our viewing pleasure, and we've cut it all down our definitive list of the best games on the show floor in the MMO space.  These kinds of things are always hard, because just about every game had something cool up its sleeve, but the following five games really stood out from the pack.

Editor's Note: Each game can only win one award, with Best of Show being awarded to the game we believe to embody the most out of each category.

Read the rest of MMORPG.com's Best of PAX East 2012 Awards.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• IroncladIronclad Member UncommonPosts: 71

Hard to understand how Guild Wars 2 does not even get a mention here?!  Were they not there?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

They were not.  ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MercurialGMercurialG Member UncommonPosts: 50

But they did one hell of a show stealer at the end of the Future of MMOs panel ;)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Who picks these?  Firefall and Tera for most anticipated?....and Raiderz for rising Star?  I've played Tera and Raiderz and....they are just more of the same and will come and go this year and be forgotten.  Firefall vids make it look dull and boring to me.  I guess if that's the only ones you had to choose from...then I have to say, minus the Neverwinter stuff and the developers Panel, PAX east kind of sucked this year.  

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

Nice to see SMITE get some recognition!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by elocke

Who picks these?  Firefall and Tera for most anticipated?....and Raiderz for rising Star?  I've played Tera and Raiderz and....they are just more of the same and will come and go this year and be forgotten.  Firefall vids make it look dull and boring to me.  I guess if that's the only ones you had to choose from...then I have to say, minus the Neverwinter stuff and the developers Panel, PAX east kind of sucked this year.  

These awards are for PAX East 2012. It was a fairly light show MMO wise! Neverwinter really blew our socks off, though.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I need me some Neverwinter!
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Boy, I have to admit, Neverwinter sure looks good.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Bunks

Boy, I have to admit, Neverwinter sure looks good.

Yeah been following it for sometime,glad they changed their minds about the game being a instanced love fest.

As for RaiderZ ,well IMO the combat beats Tera and the quest system and the skill based class system,the mobs have way better AI as well.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Neverwinter does look pretty awsome.  Can Cryptic really do it this time? Early signs are pretty positive. It may be the most legendary company bounce back in mmo history if they can pull this off.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Pardon me while I laugh at the concept that Cryptic could make a decent game.  You have to know that Neverwinter will self destruct as soon as it is available.

The Secret World could be a sleeper, just have trust issues with the developer at this point.

As to Perfect World making a decent game, I have great doubts the king of pay-to-win could produce such although I guess anything is possible.

The rest will have to take a wait and see attitude on them.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Pardon me while I laugh at the concept that Cryptic could make a decent game.  You have to know that Neverwinter will self destruct as soon as it is available.

The Secret World could be a sleeper, just have trust issues with the developer at this point.

As to Perfect World making a decent game, I have great doubts the king of pay-to-win could produce such although I guess anything is possible.

The rest will have to take a wait and see attitude on them.

• Cleric1234Cleric1234 Member Posts: 8

Smite really was amazing. I'd never heard of it before but by Saturday it's lines were longer than league's. So glad I got to play it.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I have to admit that I didn't even think about NWN until now. But from those videos it looks pretty darn good.

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by BillMurphy

They were not.  ;)

Phew you had me a bit worried there I was like Y U NO LIEK THE GUILD WARS haha

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Ironclad
    Hard to understand how Guild Wars 2 does not even get a mention here?!  Were they not there?

I dont think GW2 need more hype game will sell it self and its good when smaller developers also get some attention.

They showed up on pax panel and specially last 10 min is awesome GW2 news:)

Btw i bought GW2 so dont attack me for GW2 hater now:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Lets be honest here neverwinter brings NOTHING new.

Small parties raids hack and slash quests dragons again after already thousends of other D&D games another one lol.

But game looks nice and prolly will have some fun but its a game thats not new at all.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

How can World of Warplanes get an award? It's not even out yet.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Classicstar

Lets be honest here neverwinter brings NOTHING new.

Small parties raids hack and slash quests dragons again after already thousends of other D&D games another one lol.

But game looks nice and prolly will have some fun but its a game thats not new at all.

Not everyone is craving something "new" just for the sake of being "new".  If the game is same old same old but a ton of FUN, I'm sold.  It's all about the fun factor.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

So Neverwinter is DCUO and TERA wrapped into one with a Cryptic touch....? I might like it.

This is not a game.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Ok so basically there wasn't much worth seeing at PAX, because those all seem really lame choices to me.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Pardon me while I laugh at the concept that Cryptic could make a decent game.

I thought City of Heroes was widely praised, in its time. It wasn't for me, but I thought Cryptic's current reputation arose from the partnership with Atari. Atari's been in a bad way for a long time, so I thought that was unsurprising.

The move to Perfect World, although suggestive of business models I don't care for, could very well provide them the freedom and funding they haven't had since CoH.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • rikarus92rikarus92 Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Matt_UK

How can World of Warplanes get an award? It's not even out yet.

None of these games are out yet; that's kind of the point ;)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by elocke

Oh come on ,this kind of rewards ARE just simply marketing.  It would be nice if people stop giving it any attention.

• DizzyPWDizzyPW Member Posts: 2

As fellow gaming press covering the convention I have to say these picks are spot on. I'm more anticipating TERA than Firefall but out of what was on presentation at PAX East, these titles easily deserve the spots given to them.