Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Minutes of Neverwinter gameplay from PAX

13»

Comments

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

True, however Cryptic are Cryptic. They'll dumb it down MUCH further if at all possible to meet their "Target Gold Date". They've said numerous times internally & externally that their Engine allows them to product MMOs at an alarming pace compared to 4-6 yrs of other companies (they once claimed they could produce a "Quality" product in as little as a year).

Cryptic doesn't care about Polish. Cryptic doesn't care about the fans. Cryptic has never cared about quality of content relative to the market or franchise they're representing. What Cryptic has always cared about is money & proving they can be the "fastest" to produce an MMO product that people will pay for.

-Faded

Except that this has been in development at least for five years. And so far everything seems to be quite faithful to teh lore of the 4th edition campaign and the rulesets of 4th edition campaign(that while being utterly horrible for pen and paper games, seem to lend themselves quite well for action mmorpg game).

Except that STO seems to be going into a very right direction now that Cryptic actually has a budget and no longer has Bill Roper and Atari.

Except that the game was delayed for a year to give it more polish. And the video quite clearly shows quite polished level of animation quality and design.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Plays like Dragon Nest

Joined - July 2004

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I like the camera and UI, also the environments.  Combat seemed sort of sluggish.  Overall, not bad.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

I don't know about it holding down the D&D old skool ways, but it definitely looks like it can fit the bill for today's type of MMO's....I for one will give it a chance....if I don't like it...I can uninstall....just like I do all games I don't enjoy.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Well it was only 2 min but it looked ok ? Need more gameplay and info. :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Yuui

True, however Cryptic are Cryptic. They'll dumb it down MUCH further if at all possible to meet their "Target Gold Date". They've said numerous times internally & externally that their Engine allows them to product MMOs at an alarming pace compared to 4-6 yrs of other companies (they once claimed they could produce a "Quality" product in as little as a year).

Cryptic doesn't care about Polish. Cryptic doesn't care about the fans. Cryptic has never cared about quality of content relative to the market or franchise they're representing. What Cryptic has always cared about is money & proving they can be the "fastest" to produce an MMO product that people will pay for.

-Faded

Except that this has been in development at least for five years. And so far everything seems to be quite faithful to teh lore of the 4th edition campaign and the rulesets of 4th edition campaign(that while being utterly horrible for pen and paper games, seem to lend themselves quite well for action mmorpg game).

Except that STO seems to be going into a very right direction now that Cryptic actually has a budget and no longer has Bill Roper and Atari.

Except that the game was delayed for a year to give it more polish. And the video quite clearly shows quite polished level of animation quality and design.

Cryptic hasn't changed that much when I played Champions Online they told me I'd have to wait till STO was released before they'd be able to go back and add more stuff.

They just did a  dev mentioning stuff like Romulans would be deft not be comming in until they release Neverwinter.

Its typical cryptic were currently tring to release this game, so the game your currently spending money on has been put on the back burner until that game releases. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by evicton

-Faded

Cryptic hasn't changed that much when I played Champions Online they told me I'd have to wait till STO was released before they'd be able to go back and add more stuff.

They just did a  dev mentioning stuff like Romulans would be deft not be comming in until they release Neverwinter.

Its typical cryptic were currently tring to release this game, so the game your currently spending money on has been put on the back burner until that game releases. 

Bingo!

Guess what'll happen when NWN-O releases and it's in a "Release State" that they believe can support itself for at least 6months? They'll go back to adding content for Champions & STO meanwhile stonewalling NWN-O players.

I'll give you the fact that PWE has actually given them development funding unlike Bill Roper (horrible btw, hope he's removed himself from the industry) & Atari. However, the senior staff of Cryptic are still there, and their design decisions & choices are generally piss poor.

As for the "Player Generated Content": Source

Granted that source is much newer, and thus has been "fleshed out" more to express the idea. The overall premise was one I read regarding the announcement of NWN-O awhile ago from Cryptic. They clearly stated that the "majority" of content would be player created through the "Foundry" system that is semi-implemented in STO right now, and even that has extreme limitations. One of them, being that the rewards & loot system for the "Foundry" is not only limiting, but if you want anything worthwhile it has to be approved by the Devs first which can take MONTHS to fill one request.

I'm not saying Cryptic hasn't been changed for the better by PWE (seriously, how could they become WORSE?), however Cryptic's senior staff are still at the driving wheel. I remain completely concerned by what I've seen so far, and my history with Cryptic Studios :|!

-Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

We'll see. Not super excited about a PWI and Cryptic venture. The only game I ever liked from Cryptic was CoH, and that game was very repetitive. PWI games are the typical cookie cutter f2p MMOs. They have an uphill battle in convincing people to plunk done cash. Especially after some of the bombs the MMO genre has seen recently.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

i love d&d.. and.. man was i disapointed seeing that video.

the graphics have no soul at all.. the dwarf movement presented in the video looks like a distorted version of the korean lineage type half elves running in a weird position brekaing their backs.

the attack lights and bright flashes and crappy colors seem like coming directly from a console cheap game.. really sad with this.

Maybe i had too high expectations for this one..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by EduardoASG

i love d&d.. and.. man was i disapointed seeing that video.

the graphics have no soul at all.. the dwarf movement presented in the video looks like a distorted version of the korean lineage type half elves running in a weird position brekaing their backs.

the attack lights and bright flashes and crappy colors seem like coming directly from a console cheap game.. really sad with this.

Maybe i had too high expectations for this one..

Blashpemy!

D&D products generally DEMAND high quality & expectations. It was WOTC's mishandling of their own IP by giving it to Cryptic that is at fault here.

I honestly wish I were @ the meeting between Cryptic & WOTC to tell Cryptic to GTFO out of our office. WOTC had no business making ANY deals with Cryptic.

:(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

With Cryptic's name on it, I expected low quality and poor execution anyway.

Looks like that is what is coming.

Doesn't bother me, won't play, and won't pay.

Just wish Cryptic would not keep getting the rights to good IPs, as they are not capable of putting out non-crap.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Im so sick of devs making the same tired cartoony graphical style. One day Im going to wake up and 5 new mmo's will have be announced that day where the graphics and gameplay is more realistic.

Seriously Devs. After GW2 and Neverwinter and whatever the hell else is already on the books, please grow some.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by ropenice

Why the GW2 fans taking a swipe at TSW out of nowhere? If someone did this to your precious, you would flip.

But on topic, the articles I've read about NW show some interesting ideas and some screenshots looked great, but this vid looked a bit generic hack n slash with few attacks or skills being used. I know they are still working on it, and many games are moving toward action oriented combat with less skills-used, but I hope they hav options so not every class is identical.

sweetheart.. go to TSW forums to see my educated thoughts on TSW. His point was valid as in hey this game looks better than a game scheduled to be released in June >.<

I'd caution to keep in mind the two studios both have questionable track records, FC for bugginess; Cryptic for shallow games that they put no time at all into pre-release in-terms of making a deep game. Combat animations aren't much in the grand scheme of things.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by xDayx
    Im so sick of devs making the same tired cartoony graphical style. One day Im going to wake up and 5 new mmo's will have be announced that day where the graphics and gameplay is more realistic.
    Seriously Devs. After GW2 and Neverwinter and whatever the hell else is already on the books, please grow some.

Really can't see anything that cartoony about Neverwinter's art style. Seems quite a realistic one. Certainly more realistic than GW II and even GW II i would not dare to call "cartoony".

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by xDayx

Really can't see anything that cartoony about Neverwinter's art style. Seems quite a realistic one. Certainly more realistic than GW II and even GW II i would not dare to call "cartoony".

I'd say it looks on par with GW2, and they are both not cartoony. 

Everyone in this thread is bashing based on preconcepts, those that experienced the game seemed genuinely surprised by it. It's not like Cryptic is evil people, their first game was actually very nice for its time and their User Generated Content system fits perfectly with the Neverwinter franchise. Try to be positive, it's going to be free-to-play, if it turns out badly there are plenty of other games coming out.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I think it looks a lot like Rift....That was my impression when I saw it.
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by Sephros

omg, the whole disappearing and reappearing behind mobs thing is so old.  Somebody friggen figure something else out.  Lame.

You are kidding right?

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

That fat dwarf looks like he'd fall on his face if it weren't for his momentum as he runs lol.

I didn't like the video. It's NOT D&D, let alone 4e. I mean you cant even tell what class he is playing. Horrible horrible turn of events for the Neverwinter franchise.

[quote]Originally posted by Fion I mean you cant even tell what class he is playing. Horrible horrible turn of events for the Neverwinter franchise.
    [/b][/quote]

Really I thought its quite clear its rogue.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON