Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else avoiding this game for the first 3-6 months due to the unrealistic hype?

Comments

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

You're trying to overcompensate for buying into the TOR hype.

OP isn't referring to TOR hype (check posting history)

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

Originally posted by wrightstuf I'll pre order so i can play it in beta and cancel if it sucks. I'm far more "hyped" to play TSW. I love MMOs, but i'm really tired of the fantasy themed ones like GW2. Its been beat to death, lol.

Hate to break it to you but you can't beta without pre PURCHASE = no cancel of purchase because its not a pre order and if you pre order you don't get into beta.

and yes there is a difference between pre purchase and pre order.

Actually you can. Pre-purchasing only guarantees you access to the public beta events. You can still gain access to the beta events even without pre-purchasing, it just isn't guaranteed.

Are you trying to tell me that pre order gives you access to beta?  from my understanding the only way you gain beta access with any type of game purchase, pre order or pre purchase, is from pre purchase.   I've read in many different places that you do not gain anything concerning the beta from pre order.  

Pre purchase = guaranteed access to beta

Pre order = nothing concerning beta??

nvm I looked it up myself and am puzzled why once again I'm arguing over semantics instead of people learning how to read in context... gad dam thats annoying as hell.

Pre order DOES NOT GIVE YOU ACCESS TO BETA!!! Click HERE

"What if I don't want to pay in full in advance?

In addition to Pre-Purchase, a number of our retail partners are offering a Pre-Order program. Customers who pre-order will receive one-day Headstart Access to the final game."  that is it no beta unless you get in some other way.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

Find it suprising an obvious troll post by the OP has received 3 pages of replys. 

With the (arguably) pay to win model,

This has been beaten to death. There is no valid argument that the game is pay 2 win as no item purchased in the store offers a power advantage over any other player.

the incredibly simplistic combat,

Incredibly simplistic combat? You mean teh combat system that is so complicated 99% of all current beta testers have utterly failed in showing any game skill at all. Or do you mean simplistic because every skill is not targetted like in Darkfall. A failed game with one of the lowest total playerbases ever.

the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW

Not sure how a massive multiple objective battlefield that has enough objectives to maintain three teams of 500 - 700 players all working togethor organized for 2 weeks straight to both defend, and attack keeps, supply camps, battlefields, and passes means zerg. It just means that there will always be available action on the battlefield for everyone. And we have seen that there is plenty of chances for small scale fights and 1v1 opportunities.

Go falsify and spread you BS somewhere else because anyone who has spent even a reasonable ammount of time researching teh game knows your full of it. There is more known about this game already then there has been about any other MMORPG ever before release. And it is has been produced by a company known for delivering exactly on their promises and maintaining large playerbases with quality, content, and follow-through.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by sidhaethe

I just looked at his history the one that started this thread, and yes it is an attempt to overcompensate for buying TOR because apparently misinformation and no logic follows with these types of posts about GW2 and their fanbase. It's just like the claim the GW2 is p2w when there's metric butt-tons of evidence to the contrary and people just keep on posting about it like parrots with cashew sized brains.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by wrightstuf I'll pre order so i can play it in beta and cancel if it sucks. I'm far more "hyped" to play TSW. I love MMOs, but i'm really tired of the fantasy themed ones like GW2. Its been beat to death, lol.

Hate to break it to you but you can't beta without pre PURCHASE = no cancel of purchase because its not a pre order and if you pre order you don't get into beta.

Actually you can. Pre-purchasing only guarantees you access to the public beta events. You can still gain access to the beta events even without pre-purchasing, it just isn't guaranteed.

Are you trying to tell me that pre order gives you access to beta?  from my understanding the only way you gain beta access with any type of game purchase, pre order or pre purchase, is from pre purchase.   I've read in many different places that you do not gain anything concerning the beta from pre order.  

There is no pre-order.

Pre-purchase guarantees access to all public beta events.

Not pre-purchasing means you have to get a beta key in another way. Most likely in a give-away or if ArenaNet sends it to you personally.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Its F2P buying the game does not hurt me, and I am going to buy it. Rather it lives up too its hype or not it was wourth checking out.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

See no reason to really. It's not like it has subscription fee. I loose nothing by getting in on it early and if I won't like what I see I'll just put it away for few months. Plus the beta weekends will be good indicator of what to expect on launch and afterwards.

Also - if You are sick of hype take a few days off from GW2/MMO related forums. You don't have to read every topic about GW2...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by Butregenyo

Hype : Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material.

Guild Wars 2 is not hyped at all. Developers let players play and see, showing real content that matches their promises. Gw2 news never missguides people, it is what they are. I can say/do much if you can not realize this fact alone by yourself. Just wait for release and see for yourself, as they dont try to milk you like other companies (Ea,activision,blizzard), they wont have any loss from you if you buy their game after 3 months.

You know what the OP means. He's referring to the player driven hype.

I also am looking foward to giving the game a try. I'll pre order so i can play it in beta and cancel if it sucks. I'm far more "hyped" to play TSW. I love MMOs, but i'm really tired of the fantasy themed ones like GW2. Its been beat to death, lol.

Uhm no, we know what Hype means, and it's being misused over and over again in these forums. Hype is generated SOLELY by the developers advertisements and interviews, THAT'S ALL. It's not generated by the public in ANY sense of the word thus is the problem with his and many other's use of the word. People being excited about a game is not HYPE even when they go to extremes and say things like it's the second coming or it's so great it will make cheeze come out your ears. Please learn vocabulary people before misusing words. An Example of Hype is like whe BW told everyone their combat would be different and that it was not epic combat to have a whole bunch of little guys beating on a large central boss figure. That's hype.

Fantasy really hasn't been beat to death it just was never done properly in the first place. Now it will be finally done right.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

If I decide to play, it will not be due to someone elses hype...If I bought into hype, I would of played WoW....

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Hype for me in this case is not wht im reading, or premade videos of devs playing the game (i fell for that in Dark and Light), but videos of actual players posting on youtube. When i watch one of Yogcasts or Totalbiscuits videos i can only think "Damn, if  only i could be playing that".  Its a safe enough kind of hype for me, probably the only safe one.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Whatever he's still butthurt over. Can't be WAR since he loved the first few months. Could be RIFT, could be SWTOR, but whatever it is that he hasn't gotten over yet, he's overcompensating for it.

imageimage
  • NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

Checked up on the OPs past post history. Seems he has a habit of jumping on a games bandwagon and then when it fails he trys to defend it by bashing the competition.

He jumped all over WAR then when it turned out to be crap he spent a hundred posts trying to defend it by bashing AoC.

Now hes a shining white knight for SW:TOR and he vigorously defends it by bashing GW2. At least he could try to use relevant and truthful concerns to bash GW2 and not spread lies and debunked troll theories.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

There is no pre-order.

Pre-purchase guarantees access to all public beta events.

Not pre-purchasing means you have to get a beta key in another way. Most likely in a give-away or if ArenaNet sends it to you personally.

how do you go from his statement of "I'll pre order to play it in beta" to me letting him know you can't gain access with pre order only pre puchase but you only focused on the semantics of but you can gain access other ways.. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS stop making up a argument on semantics instead of context of the conversation... extremely frustrating.

YES there is a pre order = 1 day early log into launch.  and gives you no access to beta unless you already have access.

Pre Purchase = guaranteed access to beta

The person I replied to said he was going to pre order to gain access to beta then cancel if he didn't like it.   my reply let him know that isn't possible with pre order.. good lord people seriously need to stop pulling bits and pieces out of entire conversations to start idiotic ludacris arguments over nothing...

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Hmm, yea i just double checked....you only get beta access if you pre PURCHASE, not pre order. That sucks. It now means no beta for me. There is just no way in hell i'd buy an MMO i havent tried any more. Too many games are hyped up and look good on paper or vids, but turn out disappointing. Warhammer Online, SWTOR, AoC all come to mind. I'll wait till reviews come in and i see how the people playing are liking it.

Strikes me funny tho. Here on the GW2 forum this will just be considered good business...If Funcom was doing it, they'd be called money grubbing criminals.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What does hype have to do with the quality of the game? The OP is complete nonsense.

Because people say game is good -> I'm not buying it for 6 months

What kind of brain follows that logic?

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Hmm, yea i just double checked....you only get beta access if you pre PURCHASE, not pre order. That sucks. It now means no beta for me. There is just no way in hell i'd buy an MMO i havent tried any more. Too many games are hyped up and look good on paper or vids, but turn out disappointing. Warhammer Online, SWTOR, AoC all come to mind. I'll wait till reviews come in and i see how the people playing are liking it.

Strikes me funny tho. Here on the GW2 forum this will just be considered good business...If Funcom was doing it, they'd be called money grubbing criminals.

You are somewhat mistaken. The beta access is GUARANTEED if you pre purchase, but you can get beta keys elsewhere. The people who signed up for beta all have a chance at getting into any given beta weekend. ArenaNet was handing out cards with three beta keys each at PAX East. There will most likely be future giveaways as the beta weekend approaches.

You are somewhat mistaken. The beta access is GUARANTEED if you pre purchase, but you can get beta keys elsewhere. The people who signed up for beta all have a chance at getting into any given beta weekend. ArenaNet was handing out cards with three beta keys each at PAX East. There will most likely be future giveaways as the beta weekend approaches.

No offence, but you dont seriously think you will get into beta at this point without a pre purchase?  Yea, pre purchase the game so you are guaranteed beta access, then subsequently get a beta key emailed to you from a signup...lol, i'd be pissed

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Monorojo

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

OP it's far more simple, just stop having high hopes. Cause honostly it's almost always the people with these high hopes that often fall for hype.

Originally posted by Reklaw

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

OP it's far more simple, just stop having high hopes. Cause honostly it's almost always the people with these high hopes that often fall for hype.

You mean like 95% of the people on this forum?

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

3-6 months? I hope not. I'll be waiting until I can try it first (preferably the full live version). No matter how cost effective B2P is over P2P it's all a waste if you wind up hating the gameplay.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I will probably just get it because it's b2p with no sub.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

another pointless threads so sad kid now days play game before others like it or not  ,if you really want to know how good the game is  play it yourself and stop reading  the hype of diferent people ho some like it and others not ,no game is perfect  it may be your cup of tea  it may taste like crap to other the best  WAY to judge a game is if you play it yourself  and see what your opinion about it , if i would let miself  get by hype or critics review about games  i will basically be never have the chance to play any game at all cause all game have bad critics as they have good one .

PS:

STOP READING THE OPINION OF OTHER AND START BUILDING YOURS.

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

@OP: Just admit that you want to jump on the "I-told-you-so-train". There has been TOR bashing before its release and everybody who did this is now a super duper hero. At least in terms of their understanding. Now people try to jump on GW2's I told you so train because it has been successfull for those "few" that predicted TOR's failure. The only logical misinterpretation is that hype means failure and I hardly believe GW2 will fail. I am kind of a fanboy myself but if you honestly look at it and compare it to WOW then you will get this:

• Combat is more dynamic

• Questing is more flexible

• Story is more immersive

• Grouping is more social

• Game looks as polished

• etc,...

Well you could actually argue that there are already other games that do 1 or 2 aspects I mentioned or did not mention better, but afterall GW2 is having it all and thus more arguments that support it. What I currently hate about new MMO releases is that every developer has like this one unique idea and tells you how cool it is. And then if you ask about the rest of it they have the very same generic shit everyone else has. GW2 breaks away with this because they seem to pay attention about everything. One thing I noticed early on is that if they were asked a tricky question or about a feature that has not been announced by then they were (almost) always giving answers that I could understand and respect.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

How many "pay to win" posts are you going to post about the game?  I would rather you not play it to be honest because your incessant whinning is starting to annoy me.  Plus it is blantanly obvious you have no intention of playing the game in the first place but instead whine about everything under the sun trying to turn people against the game.

GW2 is not P2W, Anet is not some Cut Rate 3rd world development studio and any ammounts at portraying ANet as publishing a P2W game reeks of trolldom.  GW2 is arguably the most anticipated MMO since WoW and the hype it receives is do to known facts, a caring company and a legit CSR focus on community.  I truely dont understand why someone needs to continue to downplay what is the most innovative MMO to come along in years.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by colddog04

What does hype have to do with the quality of the game? The OP is complete nonsense.

Because people say game is good -> I'm not buying it for 6 months

What kind of brain follows that logic?

yeah, this is what I thought as well.

ahh well, let 'em wait. A big part of the beauty of GW2 is that ANet have removed the usual barriers to play for late comers that you normally see in themepark MMOs.

It hurts neither Anet, the game, or me as a player that some want to wait.