Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else avoiding this game for the first 3-6 months due to the unrealistic hype?

MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

3-6 months?  Not necessarily.  Avoiding launch day?  Of course.  Everyone who cares if a game is polished avoids launch day and waits until the early adopters are satisfied that the start-up problems are resolved.  How long does that take?  It depends on the game.  Maybe weeks, maybe months, maybe years, maybe forever.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Monorojo

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

Fair enough.

I will be playing as soon as my greedy little hands can get the game...can't wait to meet you all in game...whether it be day one or day 60.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Hype : Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material.

Guild Wars 2 is not hyped at all. Developers let players play and see, showing real content that matches their promises. Gw2 news never missguides people, it is what they are. I can say/do much if you can not realize this fact alone by yourself. Just wait for release and see for yourself, as they dont try to milk you like other companies (Ea,activision,blizzard), they wont have any loss from you if you buy their game after 3 months.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

and what exactly are you looking for? negative reviews telling you that the game was not good enough to make you feel better? i guess free trial should be up by 6month mark so that won't hurt you in any way i suppose

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

I dont let hype or other people's opinions in general decide whether or not I am going to play a game at launch or whenever. I value certain opinions, and do my own research to form my own opinion. Sometimes I am wrong and sometimes I am right.

And to be fair regarding the GW2 hype, I believe it is as high as it is simply because there is nothing promising near as much as GW2 is. If GW2 is half as good as they say, it's still better than most of what is out there.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Originally posted by Butregenyo

Hype : Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material.

Guild Wars 2 is not hyped at all. Developers let players play and see, showing real content that matches their promises. Gw2 news never missguides people, it is what they are. I can say/do much if you can not realize this fact alone by yourself. Just wait for release and see for yourself, as they dont try to milk you like other companies (Ea,activision,blizzard), they wont have any loss from you if you buy their game after 3 months.

games good.. cant wait for launch

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

No. There are some games I will be taking a "wait and see" on, like Secret World, but I see no need to wait to buy GW2 and I will bet at least a half million people will join me in playing this game the first week. It may be more, but I'm not big on hype.

The game's design has already made numerous MMOs unplayable for me, so I might as well jump in head first and hope that the game delivers at least half of it's potential, or it will be time to take a long break from the genre.

Buy to Play cinches the deal. Even if the game were to launch with some rough edges, there will be no subscription fee pressures while the developers iron out the wrinkles.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well....heh....if I waited 3 to 6 months to not bother getting it I probably wouldnt be getting it at all.   Buying into the pre purchase and all that?  No.  Not doing that.  It has nothing to do with any kind of hype, because believe me, I'm hyped. 

But Im also patient.  As I am with most things I put money into.   Waiting a week or two after release to read up on what the players are feeling about it, and critic reviews (sigh...for what little they are sometimes worth) I will do. 

So being an avid GW2 enthusiast, I'll be waiting regardless.  Not likely the 3-6 month window you've suggested, but waiting non the less until after release so I can get a bead on what the game is probably really like.  Im the kind of guy who as a kid, would eat Christmas dinner and take my time, and have dessert, and then sit and talk for awhile before rushing to open presents.  Im patient like that.  The game isnt going anywhere just like those presents, and I can take my sweet time. 

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    No. It's the forum community I'll be avoiding. Like when everyone was creaming themselves over TOR this and TOR that, I happily avoided all of that and made my own mind up through beta and then retail experience.

I've had hands-on time with GW2 and now I'm waiting for my buddy to join me and then we'll see.

I strongly dislike the preachy online community. Damn.
  • ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70

Naw I'll be playing right on release, because im not locked into the hype storm. I've watched videos of it I've read ppl's thoughts on their beta testing. I have no reason to worrie that i'll enjoy the game enough for the $60 price tag not like there's anything else better for me to play, so why not.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Corehaven

Well....heh....if I waited 3 to 6 months to not bother getting it I probably wouldnt be getting it at all.   Buying into the pre purchase and all that?  No.  Not doing that.  It has nothing to do with any kind of hype, because believe me, I'm hyped. 

But Im also patient.  As I am with most things I put money into.   Waiting a week or two after release to read up on what the players are feeling about it, and critic reviews (sigh...for what little they are sometimes worth) I will do. 

So being an avid GW2 enthusiast, I'll be waiting regardless.  Not likely the 3-6 month window you've suggested, but waiting non the less until after release so I can get a bead on what the game is probably really like.  Im the kind of guy who as a kid, would eat Christmas dinner and take my time, and have dessert, and then sit and talk for awhile before rushing to open presents.  Im patient like that.  The game isnt going anywhere just like those presents, and I can take my sweet time. 

You need to get your *** on the battlefield...we have keeps to conquer!!!

*wink*

Originally posted by garretth

You need to get your *** on the battlefield...we have keeps to conquer!!!

*wink*

Lmao....  Well.....  You just go ahead and get the keeps and then keep the keeps....and I'll show up later and help you keep the keeps you've kept and help get back the keeps you've lost...... and all that good stuff.  image 

And those keeps better be worth the time because this will go one of two ways.  Either the game is good or great and we're all joyous little savage keep takers, or it sucks in which case their office doors will bust open, and they'll see me there with a large wooden paddle with a demented smile on my face who suddenly yells, " WHO'S HANKERIN FOR A SPANKERIN!!! " image

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by Monorojo

seems you have a theme that continues with each new post:

" "Anyone else still waiting for that "something special" before they buy in?"

Currently, I have seen all the information that has been offered on the winternet pertaining to beta.

Not a single thing seems even remotely interesting atm. I am banking on the fact that Anet is holding back some information or footage that will be revealed closer to launch to actually make me want to buy this game.

As of now however, I have no will to buy it whatsoever.

I know there are a lot of fanboys of this game who are already going crazy about it and calling it the best thing since slice bread. Am I really the only one that is a bit skeptical still? "

Maybe its just me but they seem oddly similar.

Nonetheless - I've done enough research to realise the "hype" is anything but unrealistic.  why because they are completely letting people have hands on play time with their game and making quick needed changes and have proven to continue to do so.   If it was unrealistic that would imply that nobody can or could confirm prior to launch any of the hype and that is just flat out untrue.

Nearly everything they are "hyping" has been proven and shown in a video or put into a review write up.

within 24 hours I'm pre purchasing 2 copies of the game and currently building a computer completely around this game and for making vidcast and commentary for PvP.

If nobody could show you why the game is worth it in your previous post, they wont be able to in this post either. Although this does look like a great thread for under bridge dwellers to congregate.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

I played Warhammer at launch and don't care what anyone says; it was a helluva fun experience for the first three-four months. If I'd waited the population would already have been on the decline and I would have missed out on what was the most populated, active PvP (and PvE, for Public Quests) on any server.

So, no, to the OP. But do what you feel is best for you.

Edit: ah, I did not see that there was a posting "theme".

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Hype only exists for those too weak and lazy to formulate their own opinion.

You stay sassy!

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by Tamanous

Mm. That was actually pretty smart. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

The hype is only unrealistic to people that have not played it yet.

I for one can not wait to get back in.

Ehhh.....a lot of the time its just confused with people being excited over something en masse.  I can't help it if a large city worth of other people feel similar or the same way I do.  Thats their business. 

And then those excited have people come along and say, " Its going to suck. "  Imagine if you were a kid and its Christmas coming up, and a few of the kids at school say, " Christmas is going to suck for everyone this year.  Its broken. "  You'd have said, " NO ITS NOT! " and they'd have said, " Uh HUUUUUH! " and then a small scuffle would have broken out involving the meatloaf the smelly kid thought necessary to stuff into his pocket at lunch. 

Which pretty much represents these forums sometimes.  And....the internet in general.  Minus the meatloaf although that would be a serious improvement. 

Ehhh.....a lot of the time its just confused with people being excited over something en masse.  I can't help it if a large city worth of other people feel similar or the same way I do.  Thats their business. 

And then those excited have people come along and say, " Its going to suck. "  Imagine if you were a kid and its Christmas coming up, and a few of the kids at school say, " Christmas is going to suck for everyone this year.  Its broken. "  You'd have said, " NO ITS NOT! " and they'd have said, " Uh HUUUUUH! " and then a small scuffle would have broken out involving the meatloaf the smelly kid thought necessary to stuff into his pocket at lunch. 

Which pretty much represents these forums sometimes.  And....the internet in general.  Minus the meatloaf although that would be a serious improvement. 

I about ruined my laptop reading this... I was drinking sweet tea when I reached the meatloaf part and began laughing uncontrollably... OMG dam near drowned too... funny as hell how accurate some of the absurd arguments are on this website / interwebs.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

You again? I would wait a few weeks after release too, if I would be a little bit more patient.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Butregenyo

You know what the OP means. He's referring to the player driven hype.

I also am looking foward to giving the game a try. I'll pre order so i can play it in beta and cancel if it sucks. I'm far more "hyped" to play TSW. I love MMOs, but i'm really tired of the fantasy themed ones like GW2. Its been beat to death, lol.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Good on you that you've actually learned to be more patient, but  you're a little unrealistic. 3 to 6 months, really? That length of time from launch is a bit of a stretch to form an opinion. Surely before then, you'd have made a decision already.

You are hyping up your disdain for hype, ha!

Originally posted by wrightstuf I'll pre order so i can play it in beta and cancel if it sucks. I'm far more "hyped" to play TSW. I love MMOs, but i'm really tired of the fantasy themed ones like GW2. Its been beat to death, lol.

Hate to break it to you but you can't beta without pre PURCHASE = no cancel of purchase because its not a pre order and if you pre order you don't get into beta.

and yes there is a difference between pre purchase and pre order.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

Originally posted by wrightstuf I'll pre order so i can play it in beta and cancel if it sucks. I'm far more "hyped" to play TSW. I love MMOs, but i'm really tired of the fantasy themed ones like GW2. Its been beat to death, lol.

Hate to break it to you but you can't beta without pre PURCHASE = no cancel of purchase because its not a pre order and if you pre order you don't get into beta.

and yes there is a difference between pre purchase and pre order.

Actually you can. Pre-purchasing only guarantees you access to the public beta events. You can still gain access to the beta events even without pre-purchasing, it just isn't guaranteed.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

3 to 6 months? That seems WAY too long. You only need a couple of weeks, a month max, to know what is in the game and if it's something you'd enjoy. I'm not prepurchasing anything, and I'll wait a bit, but certainly not 3 months.

If you've been burnt by the TOR hype, then you only have yourself to blame for that. If you'd have waited a month, or even a week or two, you'd have been able to read the signs of why this one would be going down relatively fast. You'd need to filter out the trolls and viral marketeers, but you'd have known that once the story is over, it's pretty much over.

You're trying to overcompensate for buying into the TOR hype. If GW2 has serious flaws, you'll know about them well within the first month.

imageimage