Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing Tera Beta

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by heartless

I played TERA a few beta tests ago. I liked the graphics, and the combat was fine but the quests were an absolute bore.

Quest 1: kill 5 tree looking things.

Quest 2: kill the same tree looking things and collect 3 items from them.

Quest 3: kill 4 deer looking things.

Quest 4: kill 5 elder tree looking things.

Quest 5: kill 5 elder deer looking things.

By level 20, you probably killed a few thousand of those tree and deer looking things.

The quest rewards and items drops made no sense either. At level 1, you get a quest reward that requires you to be level 3 in order to equip it. Then a mob drops an item with the same exact stats that doesn't have a level requirement. Makes no sense! Then that whole mischief engine and those lucky egg things and the cheesy /cheer animation everytime you gather something...

F2P in 6 months to a year.

no silly! it changed to Orcan.. they same exact orc enemy models from Lineage 2 >.< Heh and the lucky eggs were just silly

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by iller

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

the people I game with are so tired of the same style of MMO that we didn't join in the Tera beta even though we all have beta keys.  We tested Swotor during beta and walked away quickly.

Knowing what GW2 is bringing all of us feel its worth not ruining months of our lives with more of the things we hate in current MMO's... 

Most of us have spent months upon months of total game play hours. (combining game play hours into total months of continued game play.)

Even though GW2 is giving the same thing but masking it, it doesn't matter.  It is enough of a change to make it feel fresh and new so much so that nothing feels worth our time atm.

More power to ya I guess...  But I find this whole opinion weird at the same time.  Been hearing it increasingly more often too from people I used to game with all the time.   I don't get how people who used to put 8 hours in gaming some days suddenly are bored of entire Genres now and just wanting something "new".

"snip"

Adventure - I play games for adventure and to live in a different world from my reality.  Adventure's definition HERE States and I quote "1. an exciting or very unusual experience. "  When you've put the amount of time repeating the same thing over and over and over in the same games it is no longer an adventure.  Because all MMO's do the exact same thing without any difference excluding little things like RIFT and their dynamic events and so on.  People get tired of the same things, which is why you don't see people eating tuna out of a can for every meal, or wearing the same clothes every day, or watching the same movie repeatedly every day of every week of every month...   Once a gaming genre is no longer an adventure for me its no longer fun.

Now to your rant about telling everyone else how they should act, react, feel, and do with a game...

instead of telling others what or how they are supposed to react to a gaming genre how about just express your feelings about the gaming genre instead.  I'm not going to bash your "weird opinion" but you definitely have no right to tell anyone how I they should or shouldn't feel towards a gaming genre or if I'm not inspired to role play I'm a what ever just puts anyone off from taking you serious because we all play for different reasons and your reasons for playing may not be enjoyable to me so would be pointless.

Stick to your own reactions instead of putting down others for theirs.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Eir_S

Hmm.. well I've already explained my TERA story and experience - I didn't like it even though I kind of expected to, but I also don't see how this thread is going to remain unlocked after a while.

I think it will be fine, its calm.. a lot like my Tera Beta thread last time. WAIT A MINUTE!! aren't we supposed to be crazed fanbois? We are failing at this!

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Adventure - I play games for adventure and to live in a different world from my reality.  Adventure's definition HERE States and I quote "1. an exciting or very unusual experience. "  When you've put the amount of time repeating the same thing over and over and over in the same games it is no longer an adventure.  Because all MMO's do the exact same thing without any difference excluding little things like RIFT and their dynamic events and so on.  People get tired of the same things, which is why you don't see people eating tuna out of a can for every meal, or wearing the same clothes every day, or watching the same movie repeatedly every day of every week of every month...   Once a gaming genre is no longer an adventure for me its no longer fun.

And you think that will be different in GW2, huh?  <shakes head and chuckles>

We'll see how "adventurous" you're feeling after you realize that the dynamic events are simply quest chains without an actual quest giver, and that many of the DE's start looking strangely alike in how they are set up.  This same thing happened in the rifts in Rift.  

But don't take my world for it, find out for yourself.  All quests get boring.  All so-called "dynamic events," which are really just area quest chains, get boring.  The thing that keeps people interested long term in a specific MMO, if done right, is the world that is created by the developer.  If the world is massive, alive, and enjoyable to experience, then the "Kill X of Y" quests become less important.  

Every person who plays an MMO has to judge for themselves if there is enough there to keep them happy when the quests, or dynamic events get stale (which they assuredly WILL).  Just as you'll have to decide when playing GW2.  But to say that TERA lacks long-term value when it has as vibrant, impressive, and seamless a world as you will find in an MMO today, in addition to the most engaging and fun combat system around, is missing the boat.  

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

And you think that will be different in GW2, huh?  

We'll see how "adventurous" you're feeling after you realize that the dynamic events are simply quest chains without an actual quest giver, and that many of the DE's start looking strangely alike in how they are set up.  This same thing happened in the rifts in Rift.  

But don't take my world for it, find out for yourself.  All quests get boring.  All so-called "dynamic events," which are really just area quest chains, get boring.  The thing that keeps people interested long term in a specific MMO, if done right, is the world that is created by the developer.  If the world is massive, alive, and enjoyable to experience, then the "Kill X of Y" quests become less important.  

Every person who plays an MMO has to judge for themselves if there is enough there to keep them happy when the quests, or dynamic events get stale (which they assuredly WILL).  Just as you'll have to decide when playing GW2.  But to say that TERA lacks long-term value when it has as vibrant, impressive, and seamless a world as you will find in an MMO today, in addition to the most engaging and fun combat system around, is missing the boat.  

if you read what I said before I did indicate I understand its the same thing just masked differently.  BUT the total package that the game is offering is absolutely a new adventure and will be for some time. 

Just because we will be doing quests differently doesn't mean I don't see that it will still be quest hubs as you described, thats a no shat sherlock.. DUH the point is it will be different enough as an entire game with way more different adventures to do to keep things fresh and new.   I know exactly what to anticipate with GW2 and I'm not hiding anything from myself or blindly accepting things I've done my research and proven to myself what I can correctly expect.

That all being said is why I stopped playing MMO's until GW2's launch so I don't continue to burnmyself on what is already out there.  Its like art if you get a artistic block you step away and come back fresh, I'm taking a gamer step away to come back fresh for this game.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I couldn t agree more. Tera made me want to return to older games, and well i did. I uninstalled it and re subbed to some games and realize how much it lacks as a good quality MMO. Some people will disagree, well thats fine they re entitled to their opinion, but mine is that it had to be the most uninspiring game I ve played in years, and GW2 can t come soon enough. The worst part is, the combat, which is it s main selling point, I hated as much as the crappy quests.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

Yes

and that is why they are different

I beg to differ

like GW2's world where you can miss some of the DEs early on ingame and come back later to experience them? Or the part that the world is alive because it is constantly alive and changing with or without your contribution? see TB vids for more explanation.

Exactly.. TERA's world is something you will find in a current MMO which to me is boring and bland.... to each their own I suppose

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Honner

Originally posted by wormed

I played TERA a few beta tests ago. I liked the graphics, and the combat was fine but the quests were an absolute bore.
    By level 20, you probably killed a few thousand of those tree and deer looking things.

That's so true by level 10 I deleted the game when they send me to kill another fucking tree.... ah all races start on the same island so doesnt matter what race you play you will have to kill the same trees/deer.

The starting experience is getting completely redone.

They should change it, first impressions are important and my first impression of Tera isn't so good.

In MMOs its the whole package that needs to be fresh and good and not only 1 or 2 features. Keep also in might that a lot of the GW2 DE chain events are kill this, collect that, but wrapped in a different package. Youll never get an MMO without them.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

That's so true by level 10 I deleted the game when they send me to kill another fucking tree.... ah all races start on the same island so doesnt matter what race you play you will have to kill the same trees/deer.

This. Plus, the surefire sign that a game is simply not for me is, I played it one night, went to work the next day, and not for a moment did I think to myself "I cant wait to go home to play TERA". Even mediocre games get me excited - but TERA just felt so boring. Its a shame too since the combat is mostly fun (locked in a position kinda sucks though).

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by pacov

Yes

I beg to differ

like GW2's world where you can miss some of the DEs early on ingame and come back later to experience them? Or the part that the world is alive because it is constantly alive and changing with or without your contribution? see TB vids for more explanation.

Exactly.. TERA's world is something you will find in a current MMO which to me is boring and bland.... to each their own I suppose

Its the dynamic events that should make the world feel more vibrant and alive, things are happening all around you even if you take no actions in them. DEs are not only there as quests, but also to change the dynamics of the zone,

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by pacov

Yes

I beg to differ

Its the dynamic events that should make the world feel more vibrant and alive, things are happening all around you even if you take no actions in them. DEs are not only there as quests, but also to change the dynamics of the zone,

I'm sorry are you correcting me? maybe my wording was not right.. but yes exactly that

• WagrumWagrum Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by wormed

The starting experience is getting completely redone.

They should change it, first impressions are important and my first impression of Tera isn't so good.

In MMOs its the whole package that needs to be fresh and good and not only 1 or 2 features. Keep also in might that a lot of the GW2 DE chain events are kill this, collect that, but wrapped in a different package. Youll never get an MMO without them.

I agree with this.

TERA does have dynamic combat and I did have to do a bit of trial and error before I found the classes I genuinely have fun with. While I agree that the questing sucks (as most people have said already) when you get to a higher level, you realise that you can pretty much level without questing; providing you have a solid party to hunt BAMs with. Hunting BAMs makes TERA  feel more like an oldschool MMORPG when there were no quests, and it's a lot of fun to return back to that community-focused gameplay. Combine that with great visuals and exciting battle mechanics, and it's enough to still feel different in it's own way. By the way I am currently level 35 in the EU closed beta.

The visuals make TERA feel like a living, breathing world; one that I am proud to be a resident of. The game may not change the way that quests work, but all the other features of the game make it a great package overall.

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

i had lot of fun in TERA beta actually :) cant really wait to see what they can offer when it officially released.

The quest might be boring, but it's alright, gameplay made it fun. the warrior is fun, i dont really like 2h class such as slayer or zerk, so i tried archer, damn, the pimped this class with style!! SHO! too cool. :D

regard to gw2, i really looking forward to dynamic events, the whole idea just sounds sooo right, and so perfect.. i really need to try it out to see how this system works! 

damn, why cant they just combine gw2's dynamic event with tera's combat + graphic..

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by jackwu10

i had lot of fun in TERA beta actually :) cant really wait to see what they can offer when it officially released.

The quest might be boring, but it's alright, gameplay made it fun. the warrior is fun, i dont really like 2h class such as slayer or zerk, so i tried archer, damn, the pimped this class with style!! SHO! too cool. :D

regard to gw2, i really looking forward to dynamic events, the whole idea just sounds sooo right, and so perfect.. i really need to try it out to see how this system works! 

damn, why cant they just combine gw2's dynamic event with tera's combat + graphic..

Next batch of mmo's my friend the next batch ;) well possibly the ones after that lol

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

GW2 questing has the same requirements for completion as quests in say WoW but it is better disguised.  For example, in WoW (and similar games) you might get to a quest hub at a farm and pick up 3 quests, one to kill 10 bandits, one to collect 5 stolen grain, and the last to free 5 captured farmers.

In GW2 you get to a farm and you have text saying "assist the farmer by killing bandits, recovering stolen grain and freeing captured farmers."  So off you go and do those 3 things until the completion bar is full.

So in both games you are still doing exactly the same things to complete the quest hub but there are a couple of important differences.

1) GW2 gives you (the player) the option in what you want to do to complete the quest.  You aren't forced to collect a specific number of sacks of grain or kill X of Y mob. You may end up killing 20 bandits and only collecting 1 sack of grain but the quest is still done.  This helps a lot to reduce the grindy feeling of playing a MMO.

2) GW2 also sprinkles each quest hub with dynamic events which often contain enemies that count towards the quest total. For example, in the case of the farmer maybe there is a bandit raid and while that is going on you kill enough bandits to complete the quest so you never have to do the questing part at all just participate in one dynamic event.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Originally posted by DanitaKusor

GW2 questing has the same requirements for completion as quests in say WoW but it is better disguised.  For example, in WoW (and similar games) you might get to a quest hub at a farm and pick up 3 quests, one to kill 10 bandits, one to collect 5 stolen grain, and the last to free 5 captured farmers.

In GW2 you get to a farm and you have text saying "assist the farmer by killing bandits, recovering stolen grain and freeing captured farmers."  So off you go and do those 3 things until the completion bar is full.

So in both games you are still doing exactly the same things to complete the quest hub but there are a couple of important differences.

1) GW2 gives you (the player) the option in what you want to do to complete the quest.  You aren't forced to collect a specific number of sacks of grain or kill X of Y mob. You may end up killing 20 bandits and only collecting 1 sack of grain but the quest is still done.  This helps a lot to reduce the grindy feeling of playing a MMO.

2) GW2 also sprinkles each quest hub with dynamic events which often contain enemies that count towards the quest total. For example, in the case of the farmer maybe there is a bandit raid and while that is going on you kill enough bandits to complete the quest so you never have to do the questing part at all just participate in one dynamic event.

Yeah it's like an advanced version of the public quests mixed with normal quest objectives seen in previous games. With the addition of the quest area difficulty scale, so those soloist or small group player's like myself and my friends can still be challenged but not so challenged that we get runned over and can't complete it.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by ScriptZ

Yeah it's like an advanced version of the public quests mixed with normal quest objectives seen in previous games. With the addition of the quest area difficulty scale, so those soloist or small group player's like myself and my friends can still be challenged but not so challenged that we get runned over and can't complete it.

It's the charm of their questing system, you are no longer strictly told to do one thing, you are told to do waht ever you can to help the NPC in need, be it collecting rocks, killing stuff or blowing up trees. It's not that new really and it's almost identical to other questing systems, it just doesn't tell you how much stuff you have to collect or kill and it starts itself, not when you feel like helping them.

Though what I like is that you can keep collecting/killing stuff a few seconds after the event is done for better rewards.

Originally posted by Loser60

Originally posted by ScriptZ

It's the charm of their questing system, you are no longer strictly told to do one thing, you are told to do waht ever you can to help the NPC in need, be it collecting rocks, killing stuff or blowing up trees. It's not that new really and it's almost identical to other questing systems, it just doesn't tell you how much stuff you have to collect or kill and it starts itself, not when you feel like helping them.

Though what I like is that you can keep collecting/killing stuff a few seconds after the event is done for better rewards.

That's good the less I know what I'm doing the better the numbers get overwhelming sometimes. Like Aion that game is good but the numbers makes your head hurt. I think they lowering that now tho, but anyways it's good to see that gw2 is taking the numbers out completly and masking it behind just fighting to stop say bandit's from burning down that farm without telling you how many bandit's there is.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Now to your rant about telling everyone else how they should act, react, feel, and do with a game...

instead of telling others what or how they are supposed to react to a gaming genre how about just express your feelings about the gaming genre instead.  I'm not going to bash your "weird opinion" but you definitely have no right to tell anyone how I they should or shouldn't feel towards a gaming genre or if I'm not inspired to role play I'm a what ever just puts anyone off from taking you serious because we all play for different reasons and your reasons for playing may not be enjoyable to me so would be pointless.

Stick to your own reactions instead of putting down others for theirs.

Wasn't a rant and wasn't putting you down.  Trying to give you a wake up call here b/c I guarantee you're "not going to be saved" by GW2 if all of the above is really your attitude on gaming.  At some point you'll have to face the reality that YES YOU ARE going to have to do lots of repetitive tasks if you want to keep playing in this genre.  Just because you've done them a lot in the past doesn't mean there's something wrong with the game Design.   And If you don't want to be realistic about this then you're just going to end up back here in less than a year BASHING this game and I'm gonna have to point to this Thread (just subscribed to it BTW) and say "I told ya so".  

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

will try both

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Azmodai

Hey do you remember SWTOR? The quests are best ever made

Who says?  lol  They really weren't.

Compared to what really? I can't think of a questing MMO I could stomach for as long. Even AOC, took me two years of different free intervals to reach 80. Which I consider to be the only other MMO that had a decent quantity of well made quests.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

The quest rewards and items drops made no sense either. At level 1, you get a quest reward that requires you to be level 3 in order to equip it. Then a mob drops an item with the same exact stats that doesn't have a level requirement. Makes no sense! Then that whole mischief engine and those lucky egg things and the cheesy /cheer animation everytime you gather something...

F2P in 6 months to a year.

i wont be suprise ,not KOR game ever make a big impretion and stay long enough in NA  and this game sadly gonna have the same fate

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I really can't give a fair assessment of TERA beta because, the entire time i played, i couldn't stop thinking of GW2.

I really dig the art style and graphics but my biggest issue was with the actual combat.  I understand there are fans that will say the "rooting" animations make the combat more strategic, but i couldn't stand it.  Having to stop even for instant cast abilities completely ruined the fps style combat for me.  It's just not as fluid as it could be.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Distopia

Compared to what really? I can't think of a questing MMO I could stomach for as long. Even AOC, took me two years of different free intervals to reach 80. Which I consider to be the only other MMO that had a decent quantity of well made quests.

That's exactly my point.  SWTOR had nothing far and above typical quests, it was only their presentation that made them appear more dignified, and that didn't last long for me.  Voice-overs don't change what you end up doing that's so similar to WoW, it just gets in the way eventually.

Anyway, this isn't about TOR, but "best ever made" is not really an opinion shared by any majority I know of when talking about TOR's quest model.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Distopia

Honestly, questing was one of the few things SWTOR did well. That's something that's kind of hard to refute. While they did have a ton of kill X quests (too many), the storyline quests were amazing. The only other MMO i've played that also had really good quests was probably FFXI (though it was very grindy, the actual quests were engaging when you were a high enough lvl to complete them).

This is definitely not one of TERA's strong points, and I think most of it's fans know this; which is why they seem to be either ignoring that aspect completely, or trying to justify that MMO's don't really need good quests / it's the way it's been done for years now. The combat in this game is pretty awesome though, it just takes ~20 lvls to really get into (which is a problem), as that is you're first real dungeon w/ hard monsters. Fighting basilisks was a lot of fun too, though. I hope other games have more dynamic fights like this in the future. It's one thing TERA did a really good job with. It's kinda like an open-world Vindictus.