Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

No more sidekicking up?

12345679»

Comments

• RathanX26RathanX26 Lima, NYPosts: 119Member

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Originally posted by evicton

If there was clear indication as to why they had to remove it I'd be a little less concerned, instead we have a feature gone for balance issues

The Anet guy said they want you to hit a power barrier. That makes me even more concerned.

Nobody said it had anything to do with balance issues. Fanboys just made that up.

edit: to quote him:

the reason we don’t have it is because when we were going through the game we thought one of the really important moments in the game was kind of that moment where you ran into something and you weren’t quite powerful enough to overcome it

so could it mean more of a they want to provide you with a game that has a challenge to it that makes you think, "hey, i tried beating this thing this way, but that didn't work... so maybe i need to try to do it that way?" as opposed to running across something, not beating it, and getting a friend to bump you up for that one "thing" just so that you can beat it and move on? This is simply a view, as is every view. If you could run across the game and shoot up a few levels to beat everything you come across, wouldn't that make the gameplay much less exciting? I was recently watching a video where a boss popped out and several comments were "WTF" "OMG" etc. And that boss killed quite a few of the level 15s fighting it. But they rez eachother, learned to not stand in the AOE damage spots and stopped dying as much. If you could just have a friend come by and up level you 10 levels... what would be the point of the battle? Am i happy that ANet took out something they promised? No. Did I want this in the first place? No. Am i happy they removed it? Yes. Thats my feelings about the removal of sidekicking up.

I'm sorry but the only one saying anything about the second coming is you. Fans of a game accept its flaws and strengths.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

@ RathanX26  Great points!  I hadn't even thought of it that way.  Sidekicking up could potentially ruin any challenge or feeling of overcoming those challenges simply by virtue of being able to level past it.

• evictonevicton Warren, PAPosts: 398Member

Originally posted by RathanX26

If there was clear indication as to why they had to remove it I'd be a little less concerned, instead we have a feature gone for balance issues

The Anet guy said they want you to hit a power barrier. That makes me even more concerned.

Nobody said it had anything to do with balance issues. Fanboys just made that up.

the reason we don’t have it is because when we were going through the game we thought one of the really important moments in the game was kind of that moment where you ran into something and you weren’t quite powerful enough to overcome it

so could it mean more of a they want to provide you with a game that has a challenge to it that makes you think, "hey, i tried beating this thing this way, but that didn't work... so maybe i need to try to do it that way?" as opposed to running across something, not beating it, and getting a friend to bump you up for that one "thing" just so that you can beat it and move on? This is simply a view, as is every view. If you could run across the game and shoot up a few levels to beat everything you come across, wouldn't that make the gameplay much less exciting? I was recently watching a video where a boss popped out and several comments were "WTF" "OMG" etc. And that boss killed quite a few of the level 15s fighting it. But they rez eachother, learned to not stand in the AOE damage spots and stopped dying as much. If you could just have a friend come by and up level you 10 levels... what would be the point of the battle? Am i happy that ANet took out something they promised? No. Did I want this in the first place? No. Am i happy they removed it? Yes. Thats my feelings about the removal of sidekicking up.

Actually thats isn't how it would have worked at all. 

If your friend was level 25 and went to help you he would have been sidekicked down to the level of your zone. 

It was only if you went into your friends level 25 zone that you would have been bumped up to 25.

So there is no way your example could have happened.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,223Member Uncommon

That isn't how sidekicking was described as working though.  Your friend wouldn't level you 10 levels up so you could trivialize content he would down-level to match the rest of the players and the encounter.

Side-kicking up meant that your level could be raised to match your groups when you were in vastly over leveled content.  The long term marketing and fan defense had been that everyone was on a level playing field.  Levels and gear were second to skill and team work and the vast overland areas weren't level gates.

Now that all isn't true because they suddenly want players to feel a power barrier?  Oh and they conveniently sell boosts to rocket past that barrier if you cough up real cash.  It's a clear cash shop advantage that I'm sure the Positivists will rationalize and explain away as though it made more sense all along (even though side-kick up had made sense all along before this change).

• TardcoreTardcore MinskPosts: 2,325Member

Originally posted by Torvaldr

That isn't how sidekicking was described as working though.  Your friend wouldn't level you 10 levels up so you could trivialize content he would down-level to match the rest of the players and the encounter.

Side-kicking up meant that your level could be raised to match your groups when you were in vastly over leveled content.  The long term marketing and fan defense had been that everyone was on a level playing field.  Levels and gear were second to skill and team work and the vast overland areas weren't level gates.

Now that all isn't true because they suddenly want players to feel a power barrier?  Oh and they conveniently sell boosts to rocket past that barrier if you cough up real cash.  It's a clear cash shop advantage that I'm sure the Positivists will rationalize and explain away as though it made more sense all along (even though side-kick up had made sense all along before this change).

I'm afraid I'm starting to feel that this argument is starting to look to be the most probable reason sidekicking up was removed.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member

Originally posted by Tardcore

I'm afraid I'm starting to feel that this argument is starting to look to be the most probable reason sidekicking up was removed.

Anything is possible, but to me, it seems this would help players skip content without even giving it a thought.  Say you play with your level 80 friend all week long.  Congratulations.  You've just effectively skipped a zone or two.  It could potentially have you, if you were heavily playing with friends, able to skip literally half the game without realizing it until its too late. 

You'd miss boss fights, dungeons etc.  With the side kicking up, and down, both being used, it turns the game into a jumbled mess of an experience.  One minute you are playing in an 80 zone.  The next in a 40.  Then you go help your friend in a 10.  Then you go and help another friend in a 50 zone.  All in one day.  Thus destroying any sense of progression.   Content would be skipped.  Period.  It would be and there is no arguing that.  Which I believe Anet said something to that extent as the reason for the up scaling being taken out. 

That does make sense.  Whether you want to figure out alternative motives or not is up to you.  But the reason given is entirely valid on its own, and that alone is reason enough to scrubb it.   Now you wont miss content as by downscaling you will be in areas you've already been too.  Not to mention the fact you're likely to participate and experience a few dynamic events you missed running through the first time.  So there's no hurt there.  I dont imagine going back to a previous zone is going to suck at all.  

When I heard about up scaling I thought, " Well....I guess that could work.  Im not sure.  Suppose they'll figure it out. " but now Im hardly suprised they took it out, and they should have.  Otherwise it creates a chopped up, all over the place game thats played in segments.  Like reading chapter 33 of the book, then 21, then 3, then 1, then 14.  At least as far as zones go. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member

XP boosts literally only work on mobs, in GW 2 that's an huge difference, unfortunately right?

I will not front though, they prolly did this so people don't skip content and to make xp boosts on mobs more useful, but seriousely the way the zones are set up in the map you, you will hardly notice restriction, because it isn't like the farther you go, the higher the level, it's scattered out, in one zoone certaint areas can have different levels, you just gonna have to bring your A game when encountering them.

PVE is of course cooperation any way, it's not like if someone levels faster then you, they can then turn around and make your content look to easy, or alter your experience.

Though I'm sure like many said they did this to make what they sel more useful but not needed still

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by Corehaven

Anything is possible, but to me, it seems this would help players skip content without even giving it a thought.  Say you play with your level 80 friend all week long.  Congratulations.  You've just effectively skipped a zone or two.  It could potentially have you, if you were heavily playing with friends, able to skip literally half the game without realizing it until its too late. 

You'd miss boss fights, dungeons etc.  With the side kicking up, and down, both being used, it turns the game into a jumbled mess of an experience.  One minute you are playing in an 80 zone.  The next in a 40.  Then you go help your friend in a 10.  Then you go and help another friend in a 50 zone.  All in one day.  Thus destroying any sense of progression.   Content would be skipped.  Period.  It would be and there is no arguing that.  Which I believe Anet said something to that extent as the reason for the up scaling being taken out. 

That does make sense.  Whether you want to figure out alternative motives or not is up to you.  But the reason given is entirely valid on its own, and that alone is reason enough to scrubb it.   Now you wont miss content as by downscaling you will be in areas you've already been too.  Not to mention the fact you're likely to participate and experience a few dynamic events you missed running through the first time.  So there's no hurt there.  I dont imagine going back to a previous zone is going to suck at all.  

When I heard about up scaling I thought, " Well....I guess that could work.  Im not sure.  Suppose they'll figure it out. " but now Im hardly suprised they took it out, and they should have.  Otherwise it creates a chopped up, all over the place game thats played in segments.  Like reading chapter 33 of the book, then 21, then 3, then 1, then 14.  At least as far as zones go. 

This game is designed for you to go back and play the lower level zones just as much as the zones of your actual level. With sidekicking down you can go back to a zone you missed whenever you wanted to, the only time content would be skipped is if its not good enough for people to consider going back to.

With the sidekicking down feature still in the game there no such thing as skipping as zone, its more like oh I haven't done that one yet.

Originally posted by RizelStar

XP boosts literally only work on mobs, in GW 2 that's an huge difference, unfortunately right?

And you don't kill mobs when doing de and heart tasks? Where does it say that everyone who buys exp boosts are going to use one to mindlessly grind off mobs. Instead of using it to increase the exp the gain while doing heart and de events.

Just because the exp gain is mob based doesn't mean it will add up.

You edited your post so i'm editing mine because with the additions to yours I tend to agree with you. The gameplay affect isn't so much the issue as much as its removal a pretty cool feature with what seems to be the motive of "enhancing them gem purchaser experience"

• CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member

Originally posted by Corehaven

This game is designed for you to go back and play the lower level zones just as much as the zones of your actual level. With sidekicking down you can go back to a zone you missed whenever you wanted to, the only time content would be skipped is if its not good enough for people to consider going back to.

With the sidekicking down feature still in the game there no such thing as skipping as zone, its more like oh I haven't done that one yet.

Well yea, thats what I was saying.  I was mostly talking about the problems with up scaling and why it was taken out.  Now that there is only downscaling, no, skipping content will not exist.  Which is sort of what Anet said as to the reason it was taken out. 

And you don't kill mobs when doing de and heart tasks? Where does it say that everyone who buys exp boosts are going to use one to mindlessly grind off mobs. Instead of using it to increase the exp the gain while doing heart and de events.

What I'm saying is if you use it the rewards you get in xp will be the same lol, when you get xp from heart task what do you get?

Also you can't stack em and they last an hour.

XP boosts don't work on nothing but mobs, you even get boosts by drops, in most vids you' see just that lol.

Bonus 16 xp, bonus 20 xp,

The xp bar slightly moved, until they completed the event.

It literally says in lack letters only works on mobs.

People who use em just get a bit more xp hwo ever I would like to know how it alters your gameplay in PVE?

WvWvW, I'm sure the first thing you'll say is "What if" well that's if and I swear all these if's could wait and see.

We do know that these boosts won't matter unless you think you will never make it to max level in this game?

I mean seriousely when your in wvw, what the hell would you do to save your ass from getting whoop'd by another level 80?

Take a xp boost? lol

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

What I'm saying is if you use it the rewards you get in xp will be the same lol, when you get xp from heart task what do you get?

XP boosts don't work on nothing but mobs, you even get boosts by drops, in most vids you' see just that lol.

Yeah I edited my post as well.

But a bonus of 20 xp can add up, and again if people think the boosts still don't add enough value to make them a worthwhile purchase its not like they can't change the boosts again they still wouldn't be needed but to "provide a better experience to the gem buying expereince"

Yeah I edited my post as well.

But a bonus of 20 xp can add up, and again if people think the boosts still don't add enough value to make them a worthwhile purchase its not like they can't change the boosts again they still wouldn't be needed but to "provide a better experience to the gem buying expereince"

But see here is the thing, they aren't making the cash shop to give avtanges, and it's why they make it optional.

People do buy optional stuff.

Look at the cost of optional stuff like the vanity items and character slots.

That's their main focus far as prices, everything else is cheap so you can get it without paying and because if you play with time you'll get it regardless, because you can find other methods of doing so.

But it's why you can't stack em.

None of this stuff should harm you in pve and I already said wvwvw, is what ifs and the sher fact that once they get 80, they'll have extra skills and power(not much though lol) than a level 79 player lol.

But see games like WoW, if you have an level 85, fight a bunch of level 15's, he could one shot em all.

How ever even a group of bum rushing level 80's could [possibly] be defeated by a group of level 15's.

I don't think xp boost change your experience, i'd see if in that hour you where on God mode, but your not. It changes the pace that's all.

I see no need for an xp boosts since, just by playing casual you can hit level 80, but soe people don't even have tim to play casual.

It's why they made the cash shop ooptional and accessible ith or without money.

I mean if you really want to be the first level 80 character then i understand you being upset.

But if you just trying to have fun, then there isn't really a reason to be concerned.

Though like I said I'm sure they made the decision, to not skip content and to make boosts more useful but not needed and in your face.

Levels are also scatered in the maps themselves, it still isn't linear just bring your A game, with your team mates and you should have fun and have a challenge lol.

If you hate a challenge then use your gold/silver to get some gems, get an xp boosts, grind your way to play with your friends, or just use the boosts that drop from mobs and sold at venders themselves.

Do what you need to guys, still it's good to have those concerns for the future, I'm glade your not saying this is a fact, and what not, like some other thread starters have been doing.

Really Eviction, time will tell, if you must wait a year to see if they sabotage the cash shop and game designs, then do so, personally I have a little faith in what they doing, I'm not agreeing with everything they do, I don't think they are perfect, I don't think they are Gods, I don't think they will cure my grand mother's cancer, I just know based of what I've seen, heard, read, and researched, that as of right now they aren't trying to make the cash shop a needed feature just an optional one, and that so far they aren't selling nothing to give any one an permanent advatange, and are not selling passes that make you not get an Ass whooping.

they just selling extra convience things.

I'm surprissed no one is mad about the gem cost of character slots, I might have to pull some extra cash for those. Luckily i can play and get the rest though.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Bunks

This actually makes me sad, the wife and kids were hoping I could help them level up. It was a great concept.

Is this a way to make their xp boosting more profitable?

You can STILL help the wife and kids level up.  Actually, it logically makes more sense for YOU to sidekick DOWN to help them than for them to sidekick up and not be that level yet.  They would still just revert to a lower level as soon as they weren't grouped with you.

Sidekick down to their level and run around with them helping them.  Easy breezy peasy pie.

I love logic.  Please explain to me, logically, how it makes more sense for the high level player to sidekick down, but not the low level player to sidekick up?  This is especially puzzling to me as the sidekick up system is stil in place for WvW.  In a game where levels and gear are supposed to have minimal influence in content consumption I just don't get why sidekick up is now a bad idea

Simple, let me explain.  It makes more sense to sidekick down because then it doesn't come with insta-spoilers for the lower level player, for one.  It doesn't make them want to skip the majority of the game's journey, for two.  Now how exactly do you see that as any less "logical" than sidekicking up?  I think it makes a lot more sense for the lower level player.  The higher level player would have to give of themselves to help someone lower....omg....no way!  God forbid there be any kindnesses like that in a GAME.  Besides, drops also scale to your REAL level, so the drops will coincide with your real level to give you at least SOME incentive to be a kind decent gamer. lol

Good gawd.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club