Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Minutes of Neverwinter gameplay from PAX

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Here's a like to a preview and perfect explanation of what we were seeing with the rogue 'summoning' a counterfeit copy of himself and warping behind his enemies.  http://www.gamefront.com/pax-east-neverwinter-is-redesigning-forgotten-realms/

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Eir_S

It looks more fluid than TSW already.  Nice combat effects.  I like it.

omg so very true

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by colddog04

My main criticism from what I've seen is that this looks to be an action RPG somewhat in the same line with TERA. I guess I was hoping for a more traditional RPG feel to combat for Neverwinter.

see I think the exact opposite, I think its a great way to go. Makes it not just the same old NWN single player game =P

and why the hate on PWE? I think they do great F2P games.. even if they are P2W like most F2P games. They games are usually fun and usually offer something different when compared to most games. Cryptic I only have experience through 3 days of playing Star Trek Online but I don't think it was a bad game.

The problem with pwe is that they are p2w. And there cash shop is always in your face. I've played enough pwe games to know while they start off innocent enough the longer you play the more the cash shop is pushed on you. They are also responsible for the auto-path feature. In forsaken world they have a statue you can stand in front of and gain experience, if you have enough mats you can do it for 12 hours a day. These are the type of 'features' I don't like.

As for cryptic STO was slammed into the Champions online engine. At launch you could play the game in an hour, after that hour you experienced everything there was to do in the game, you were just doing alot more of everything you did in that hour.No content at launch, horrible away mission system. The only redeeming feature was the ship combat, but they all played out the same.

Then they went f2p and came out with Cardasian Lock boxes. Since I know you follow GW2 they are similar to the mystic lockboxes except the only way to get the keys was to buy them from the cash shop. And the lock boxes were pure p2w with them being the only way to get a Galor class ship. Actually it wasn't really p2w it was more like gamble2win.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

omg so very true

Why the GW2 fans taking a swipe at TSW out of nowhere? If someone did this to your precious, you would flip.

But on topic, the articles I've read about NW show some interesting ideas and some screenshots looked great, but this vid looked a bit generic hack n slash with few attacks or skills being used. I know they are still working on it, and many games are moving toward action oriented combat with less skills-used, but I hope they hav options so not every class is identical.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Hey, being a fan of GW2 has nothing to do with this.  I got a first good look at TSW and Neverwinter in a short time frame and one looks much better than the other.  Don't bring GW2 into this for no reason, thanks.  I have my opinions, they don't all center around championing my most looked-forward to game.

Hey, being a fan of GW2 has nothing to do with this.  I got a first good look at TSW and Neverwinter in a short time frame and one looks much better than the other.  Don't bring GW2 into this for no reason, thanks.  I have my opinions, they don't all center around championing my most looked-forward to game.

Why not, you brought another game into it? You could've just said it looked smoother than most games you've seen lately and not included a game that was not being discussed. And it just happens to be a game that is set to release near the same time as your game. Bias?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by ropenice

Why not, you brought another game into it? You could've just said it looked smoother than most games you've seen lately and not included a game that was not being discussed. And it just happens to be a game that is set to release near the same time as your game. Bias?

Why are you trying to start a fight?  So is this another thread that's going to be blamed on a GW2 fan, even though my intentions had nothing to do with the game?  I bet it is, it's people like you that instigate then point fingers.  Leave it alone, there was absolutely no bias in my post and honestly I had/have NO idea when TSW or GW2 are set for release.  Thanks again.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

omg, the whole disappearing and reappearing behind mobs thing is so old.  Somebody friggen figure something else out.  Lame.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

Originally posted by evicton

Originally posted by colddog04

My main criticism from what I've seen is that this looks to be an action RPG somewhat in the same line with TERA. I guess I was hoping for a more traditional RPG feel to combat for Neverwinter.

see I think the exact opposite, I think its a great way to go. Makes it not just the same old NWN single player game =P

and why the hate on PWE? I think they do great F2P games.. even if they are P2W like most F2P games. They games are usually fun and usually offer something different when compared to most games. Cryptic I only have experience through 3 days of playing Star Trek Online but I don't think it was a bad game.

The problem with pwe is that they are p2w. And there cash shop is always in your face. I've played enough pwe games to know while they start off innocent enough the longer you play the more the cash shop is pushed on you. They are also responsible for the auto-path feature. In forsaken world they have a statue you can stand in front of and gain experience, if you have enough mats you can do it for 12 hours a day. These are the type of 'features' I don't like.

As for cryptic STO was slammed into the Champions online engine. At launch you could play the game in an hour, after that hour you experienced everything there was to do in the game, you were just doing alot more of everything you did in that hour.No content at launch, horrible away mission system. The only redeeming feature was the ship combat, but they all played out the same.

Then they went f2p and came out with Cardasian Lock boxes. Since I know you follow GW2 they are similar to the mystic lockboxes except the only way to get the keys was to buy them from the cash shop. And the lock boxes were pure p2w with them being the only way to get a Galor class ship. Actually it wasn't really p2w it was more like gamble2win.

I understand this but I have yet to see any F2P game that ISNT P2W, at least not one that was fun. I think the best F2P games are the ones that make you WANT to spend money, not require you to and PWE seems to do that with each one of theirs I have played. That statue in Forsaken world gives very little XP, you actually need to play the game to do any meaningful lvling and my only issue there was the best lvling was the daily quests and damn that one thing you could do once a day(forget the name of it.. God's Trial? I think thats right). PWI was also fun.. I think while I played WoW that was the biggest break I took. The type of F2P/P2W game that is really bad is Runes of Magic.. you want to spend money but only because you HAVE to. With PWE I only wanted to buy.. pets/mounts and a cpl gamble things.

I like the autopath in their games though >.< mostly because I don't think any F2P game is worth playing for "reals". To me they are fun, enjoyable time sinks you choose to give them money or you don't. So with thinking that way I don't "learn" the world as I would in a game like WoW were I payed for and played for 7 years. I don't agree with lockboxes without being able to get keys in game for sure. That's a slap in the face which is why I was really against them in GW2 until I found out the dropped in game and then to me it was ok. 

Sorry for the rambling.. I can't make it more organized >.<

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Sephros
    omg, the whole disappearing and reappearing behind mobs thing is so old.  Somebody friggen figure something else out.  Lame.

Considering the person in the video played a Rogue I just don't see on how else that would be done.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

omg so very true

Why the GW2 fans taking a swipe at TSW out of nowhere? If someone did this to your precious, you would flip.

But on topic, the articles I've read about NW show some interesting ideas and some screenshots looked great, but this vid looked a bit generic hack n slash with few attacks or skills being used. I know they are still working on it, and many games are moving toward action oriented combat with less skills-used, but I hope they hav options so not every class is identical.

sweetheart.. go to TSW forums to see my educated thoughts on TSW. His point was valid as in hey this game looks better than a game scheduled to be released in June >.<

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by Sephros

Considering the person in the video played a Rogue I just don't see on how else that would be done.

I agree, the shadowstep effect looked nice, I dont know why you would expect something else from a rogue?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

It was a fair comparison. TSW is nearly out and the combat animations are rubbish. This is still very early in development and the combat animations look nice. Whether the poster likes GW2 or not is irrelevant. If they had said TERA they would have been talking smack, since TERA animations are very good, as are GW2 animations.

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70

omg so very true

sweetheart.. go to TSW forums to see my educated thoughts on TSW. His point was valid as in hey this game looks better than a game scheduled to be released in June >.<

I'd have to agree that TSW don't look as polished as some of the other mmo's releasing this yr and probably should be a f2p, but then again it's still in beta who knows what might change before release and the uniqueness that TSW does bring to the table is nice and refreshing.

Originally posted by evilastro

It was a fair comparison. TSW is nearly out and the combat animations are rubbish. This is still very early in development and the combat animations look nice. Whether the poster likes GW2 or not is irrelevant. If they had said TERA they would have been talking smack, since TERA animations are very good, as are GW2 animations.

O.o who are you and where is Evilastro?!?!?! =P and I completely agree :)

Originally posted by ScriptZ

snip

I'd have to agree that TSW don't look as polished as some of the other mmo's releasing this yr and probably should be a f2p, but then again it's still in beta who knows what might change before release and the uniqueness that TSW does bring to the table is nice and refreshing.

There is no way for them to bring it up to par in time for release. Most of the unique things tend to take away from the fun instead of the reverse. It's setting is the one thing that is nice, I just wish it were done properly instead of half-assed.

Originally posted by evilastro

O.o who are you and where is Evilastro?!?!?! =P and I completely agree :)

My only point was that they both jump on anyone that says anything that is said negative to GW2-on the GW2 forum, where it belongs-but they take shot at TSW (for no real reason) on a thread that has nothing to do with TSW. I have no intention of playing  TSW (at least not until it's out for a while), and do plan on playing GW2, as the W v W and DE's, combat look fun. But find it a bit hypocritical to call out others when they post on the correct forum for the game. I apologize for starting something thats way off topic, it just struck me wrong, so i mentioned it, but will do better to keep nonconstructive thoughts to myself.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by evicton

Yeah, it is true, the game will be pay2win (and for real), but frankly is it still better than when Atari had cryptic work on it. Here they at least got 1 1/2 years extra devolopment time (which is twice the time) and a lot more money.

PWE are far from perfect (excuse the pun) but they are at least smart enought to realize how valuable Forgotten realms are as an IP. It was already too late for STO but this game looks like it is at least playable for a while.

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by ScriptZ

snip

There is no way for them to bring it up to par in time for release. Most of the unique things tend to take away from the fun instead of the reverse. It's setting is the one thing that is nice, I just wish it were done properly instead of half-assed.

Yeah but we won't be able to tell what fun the game lost until the game is released. To me I think I could have fun with the no restricted class system and the no level system and then it being in a modern environment makes it look interesting. Enough for a monthly fee probably not, because not many mmo's deserve a monthly fee anyway.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Hardcore Fanboy here of NeverWinter Nights series.

I can clearly state that, from my opinion, this looks like utter TRASH. YET ANOTHER product Cryptic ruins with their trash creating hands.

SERIOUSLY, what were they thinking giving this title to Cryptic? Everything they make turns to a giant pile of elephant poop.

I can't even express to you my utter disappointment & anger over this video, or the fact Cryptic is ruining yet another Childhood-born gained fandom Franchise, without being temp-banned by the mods here.

I wish I could find a picture that correctly expresses how my face looks right now >:(

Angry Regards,

Fadedbomb

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I can clearly state that, from my opinion, this looks like utter TRASH. YET ANOTHER product Cryptic ruins with their trash creating hands.

SERIOUSLY, what were they thinking giving this title to Cryptic? Everything they make turns to a giant pile of elephant poop.

I can't even express to you my utter disappointment & anger over this video, or the fact Cryptic is ruining yet another Childhood-born gained fandom Franchise, without being temp-banned by the mods here.

I wish I could find a picture that correctly expresses how my face looks right now >:(

Angry Regards,

Fadedbomb

I am curious to find out why you think so.. like what angers you so much you have to type so large and in aqua? Jokes aside I am curious as I love the series and this looks great to me.

Angry Regards,

Fadedbomb

I am curious to find out why you think so.. like what angers you so much you have to type so large and in aqua? Jokes aside I am curious as I love the series and this looks great to me.

Hopefully I can concentrate enough to point out the many hatreds that this video outlined for me as a whole :(.

The following points off the top of my head, but may change as I calm down (or at least become clearer):

1) [Cryptic]: Everything they have touched or made has been a quick "look how fast we can make an MMO!" with zero forethought put into mechanics, end-game (if any), or mechanics wise. What did Champions Online & StarTrek have in common being produced by Cryptic? EVERYTHING. From shared resources, to highly similar music (a joke in StarTrek Online btw), and even the interface is the same. Quite frankly, this is one of the larger points, but i'll digress from here. I can only express how BAD Cryptic is as an MMO developer to a point to which anything more is just added complaints.

2) [Combat]: Combat in the NwN series has NEVER been linear, and more to the point is that combat in the NwN franchise has always been about understanding your character, skills, spells, and abilties compared to your enemy. I can GAURANTEE you that Cryptic is not doing ANYTHING similar to the "RuleSets" from NWN, NWN2, or any previous incarnations. You most likely won't be able to multi-class, and if you CAN it'll be so linear it makes SWTOR look like a God-Send comparatively. Believe me when I say, I KNOW Cryptic (Alpha & Beta tested BOTH Champions Online & STO).

3) [Content]: A "majority" of the content for NWN:Online developed by Cryptic will be PLAYER MADE. If you go & look @ STO's new player content system that system is about 60% of the system developed for NWN:Online. In fact, that system IS NWNO's content system but only ripped out & put into STO for TESTING PURPOSES. That's right, they used STO Live Paying Subscribers to TEST NWN:Online's player generated content system a YEAR or more before Alpha even has started for NWN-O. If you've played this "Player Generated" content system in STO you know how limiting, and boring it can get since it's all "segmented" stories that have nothing to do with the world or other stories. There's only ONE or TWO good "Foundation Story Makers" in STO that are worth playing, and even then it gets pretty lame after about a couple hours of doing them.

4) [Class System]: Again, this point bares repeating even though I touched on it in point #2. Cryptic don't know how to do combat whatsoever, and unless they hired the full NeverWinter staff on to "co-develope" NWN-O it's going to be another linear click fest like Champions Online was. Highly linear, no differentiation between characters, and classes that have no real evolution or thought process behind them. Poor, all around.

(ps: I played Champions Online 3months after release after being "promised" by the staff they were going to make sweeping changes, that never happened! So I know all about this point.)

All in all, I'm sure there's more to it, but after watching the video a second time that is Champions Online combat cut & paste with a little extra "effects" thrown in. If you want to play NWN-O before it releases just go play Champions Online for about week & then go play Star Trek Online for about a week. You'll see what I'm talking about (if you can stomach two-weeks of Cryptic Content I'll shake your hand).

Sincerely,

Fadedbomb

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Angry Regards,

Fadedbomb

Hopefully I can concentrate enough to point out the many hatreds that this video outlined for me as a whole :(.

The following points off the top of my head, but may change as I calm down (or at least become clearer):

1) [Cryptic]: Everything they have touched or made has been a quick "look how fast we can make an MMO!" with zero forethought put into mechanics, end-game (if any), or mechanics wise. What did Champions Online & StarTrek have in common being produced by Cryptic? EVERYTHING. From shared resources, to highly similar music (a joke in StarTrek Online btw), and even the interface is the same. Quite frankly, this is one of the larger points, but i'll digress from here. I can only express how BAD Cryptic is as an MMO developer to a point to which anything more is just added complaints.

2) [Combat]: Combat in the NwN series has NEVER been linear, and more to the point is that combat in the NwN franchise has always been about understanding your character, skills, spells, and abilties compared to your enemy. I can GAURANTEE you that Cryptic is not doing ANYTHING similar to the "RuleSets" from NWN, NWN2, or any previous incarnations. You most likely won't be able to multi-class, and if you CAN it'll be so linear it makes SWTOR look like a God-Send comparatively. Believe me when I say, I KNOW Cryptic (Alpha & Beta tested BOTH Champions Online & STO).

3) [Content]: A "majority" of the content for NWN:Online developed by Cryptic will be PLAYER MADE. If you go & look @ STO's new player content system that system is about 60% of the system developed for NWN:Online. In fact, that system IS NWNO's content system but only ripped out & put into STO for TESTING PURPOSES. That's right, they used STO Live Paying Subscribers to TEST NWN:Online's player generated content system a YEAR or more before Alpha even has started for NWN-O. If you've played this "Player Generated" content system in STO you know how limiting, and boring it can get since it's all "segmented" stories that have nothing to do with the world or other stories. There's only ONE or TWO good "Foundation Story Makers" in STO that are worth playing, and even then it gets pretty lame after about a couple hours of doing them.

4) [Class System]: Again, this point bares repeating even though I touched on it in point #2. Cryptic don't know how to do combat whatsoever, and unless they hired the full NeverWinter staff on to "co-develope" NWN-O it's going to be another linear click fest like Champions Online was. Highly linear, no differentiation between characters, and classes that have no real evolution or thought process behind them. Poor, all around.

(ps: I played Champions Online 3months after release after being "promised" by the staff they were going to make sweeping changes, that never happened! So I know all about this point.)

All in all, I'm sure there's more to it, but after watching the video a second time that is Champions Online combat cut & paste with a little extra "effects" thrown in. If you want to play NWN-O before it releases just go play Champions Online for about week & then go play Star Trek Online for about a week. You'll see what I'm talking about (if you can stomach two-weeks of Cryptic Content I'll shake your hand).

Sincerely,

Fadedbomb

I completely understand what you're saying but lets not put all the blame on Cryptic but more on Wizards of the Coast with their 4th Edition ruleset and class revamps. Cryptic is working within the confines of what the License Holder wants, they can't create a NWN (3rd Edition Rules) or NWN2 (3.5 Edition Rules) combat or classes since that ruleset is no longer supported by Wizards.

Originally posted by ABRaquel

Angry Regards,

Fadedbomb

Sincerely,

Fadedbomb

I completely understand what you're saying but lets not put all the blame on Cryptic but more on Wizards of the Coast with their 4th Edition ruleset and class revamps. Cryptic is working within the confines of what the License Holder wants, they can't create a NWN (3rd Edition Rules) or NWN2 (3.5 Edition Rules) combat or classes since that ruleset is no longer supported by Wizards.

True, however Cryptic are Cryptic. They'll dumb it down MUCH further if at all possible to meet their "Target Gold Date". They've said numerous times internally & externally that their Engine allows them to product MMOs at an alarming pace compared to 4-6 yrs of other companies (they once claimed they could produce a "Quality" product in as little as a year).

Cryptic doesn't care about Polish. Cryptic doesn't care about the fans. Cryptic has never cared about quality of content relative to the market or franchise they're representing. What Cryptic has always cared about is money & proving they can be the "fastest" to produce an MMO product that people will pay for.

STO AND Champions Online proved they can't even do that right either.

Granted however, you are correct about the 4th edition ruleset. It IS fairly terrible, but it'll be even worse knowing Cryptic. Also, if anyone doubts me about Cryptic I emplore you to go try their past products, and then ask yourself if you'd actually pay for it as even a "Secondary" MMO for you or your household.

-Faded

snip

Sincerely,

Fadedbomb

1. I can't really say anything. My only experience with Cryptic is like 3 days of STO recently. It seemed fine but its very limited interaction.

2. I think the combat is a great new way to make the D&D world fun for many more than the fans. I know I am not put off by the differences. They said it was going to be off the D&D rules and I think for now we should believe them.. once we have more info we can def. change that.. but for now... Multiclassing... here you have me I hope its in there.. it is a big part of that style. I just hope that they add suggestions for newer players or free ways to respec.

3. Did they say the majority of content will be player made? I don't recall seeing that... the player made content in STO was a cool idea and I think it fits in well with the D&D world.. think about if it gets even a fraction of the fun stuff that Starcraft player made content gets! Now this is not an excuse to not make their own content and if they slack off there it will sure be an issue.. but again its so early to say this.

4. The ground combat in STO was.. odd but not that bad for the time and obvious level of the games design. Did you happen to play the last D7D PC game that came out? Daggerdale? It was very linear and still really fun.. totally dumbed down but enjoyable. Until we know how this system is planned again its way too early to tell.

Now I know you are VERY familiar with Cryptic but from what I have read they had to change quite a bit to comply with PWE... perhaps they will be a whole other animal led by them. I personally have been happy with PWE games if only for a short time and I didn't LOVE any of the worlds they were set in. I think this situation is like when I played the demo for Dungeon Siege III... holy cow was I ticked off.. how could they RUIN! one of my favorite game series!! I ignored the game for a year.. just finished it today and I LOVED it... all I had to do was map A & D =P I hope for both our sakes and those who love the series and rules set that they do a good job.. if they mess it up well.. there are other fish in the sea.