Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Minutes of Neverwinter gameplay from PAX

YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Just found this on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ8qKj-jQxc

One of instanced dungeons demo-ed.

- Really loving the graphical style and visuals.
- Combat seems to be VERY good and has the correct feel when you hit something.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
# A MASKED CRY ADORING
# A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Comments

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Looks nice, although I'm not fully sure about that "correct feel" when you hit something...Actually I almost thought the opposite.

Guild Wars 2 nailed this perfectly, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm hopeful for this game, I love D&D, Neverwinter and Forgotten Realms as a whole :)

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Sakeraso

Originally posted by XAleX360

Looks nice, although I'm not fully sure about that "correct feel" when you hit something...Actually I almost thought the opposite.

Guild Wars 2 nailed this perfectly, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm hopeful for this game, I love D&D, Neverwinter and Forgotten Realms as a whole :)

gw2 fanboy like cockroaches

Lol, poor lad. Mad much?  Go get some chocolate and be a good boy, it's Easter after all!

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Sakeraso

gw2 fanboy like cockroaches

Lol, poor lad. Mad much?  Go get some chocolate and be a good boy, it's Easter after all!

I so pictured him saying that like Stripe from the film Gremlins saying "Gizmo, Caca!!"

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Hmmmm it feels wrong to me for a 'Neverwinter' title. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe the environments look to 'clean'? I am NOT thinking of Neverwinter 2 cuz that was a joke. Obsidian always gets Biowares leftovers and murders it.

But the first one felt, gritty, filty, real as I might imagine the dark ages to be....everyone is discusting, even the nobles are pretty filty and scanky...environments felt like the people who lived there...I mean, in that video, the guy is crawling through a dungeon that is probably ancient...who's been handling the maid service? Cuz it's pretty shiny.

Maybe I am nuts....but I am not super excited on what this shows me,,,just feels wrong.....I will articulate more if can sort out what bothers me so much about it....

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

That looks pretty sweet. The effects are great (I love the FLASH of light) and are not overly done. (See the current build of GW2. The effects are a bit over the top at the moment.)

The ambiance of the dungeon speaks to me. The art direction looks top-notch.

Is this an expansion of D&D Online, or is NeverWinter a stand alone title?

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

That looks pretty sweet. The effects are great (I love the FLASH of light) and are not overly done. (See the current build of GW2. The effects are a bit over the top at the moment.)

DDO is Turbine, Neverwinter is Cryptic.Two totally different developers so stand alone.

DDO's expansion is called Menace of the Underdark.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Kind of looks like DCUO with a Neverwinter skin.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Well the video is labelled horribly... Yet I believe this is the Neverwinter title Cryptic is working on, and not an expansion of DDO, since Turbine is already working on and releasing the Underdark as an expansion.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

It's hard to draw many conclusions from such a short clip.

I'm not fond of the over-use of "screen-shake" coinciding with what looked to be every single hit.

It does have targeting, though it is a horrible garish red aura added to the mob.

Undecided, but my experience of porrly crafted Cryptic titles of the recent pass is making me highly dubious about this title.

If I would sum up how I felt it looked in one word it would be "Arcade".

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

I assumed that this was going to be a "tab-target" game, so I'm rather pleased to see that you have to manually target.  A surprising number of games look to be doing away with "tab-target" combat, in fact I don't think any big tab games are launching this year. 

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

stand alone co-op rpg from what I read.. Vault had an article saying it would be released in 2011,  looks like they are still working on it.  Competition for D3 I would guess.  But... https://register.perfectworld.com/nw_splash is a link to a f2p mmo called Neverwinter. So either co-op or mmo.  edit: it says: Neverwinter is scheduled to be released in the 4th Quarter of 2012

Currently bored with MMO's.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Looks pretty good to me, but cant tell much or give an honest opinion of the game from a 2 minute clip.

Lets not judge this game hardly until we really see it in action.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Looks interesting. I will be paying attention because of Salvatore. I read the first two installments and can't wait for the next one in October. Just because of the author I may play it. And about the art direction. I would think that the ambience would be added to for launch. But you never know, it could be a FPS issue.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Oh boy... Cryptic AND PWE?

I think I'd rather staple my nads to my thigh.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

While the game looks good, and I like neverwinter, I got some concerns on this one I would have perfered seeing an open world we don't really need another d&d thats only a dungeon runner thats what ddo is and they are doing a neverwinter themed xpansion.

The other thing is I hate cryptic there worse then funcom. Being this game is f2p as well i'm sure we will be seeing some wonderful cash shop via there PWI overlords now.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

looks great, animations, aethetics and all :). I have always been a huge D&D world fan and the NWN series was a great one. I hope to play this right along with GW2!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

My main criticism from what I've seen is that this looks to be an action RPG somewhat in the same line with TERA. I guess I was hoping for a more traditional RPG feel to combat for Neverwinter.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by colddog04

My main criticism from what I've seen is that this looks to be an action RPG somewhat in the same line with TERA. I guess I was hoping for a more traditional RPG feel to combat for Neverwinter.

see I think the exact opposite, I think its a great way to go. Makes it not just the same old NWN single player game =P

and why the hate on PWE? I think they do great F2P games.. even if they are P2W like most F2P games. They games are usually fun and usually offer something different when compared to most games. Cryptic I only have experience through 3 days of playing Star Trek Online but I don't think it was a bad game.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by augustgrace

I assumed that this was going to be a "tab-target" game, so I'm rather pleased to see that you have to manually target.  A surprising number of games look to be doing away with "tab-target" combat, in fact I don't think any big tab games are launching this year. 

Anyone who think GW2 isn't TAB targetting is kidding themselves. Honestly, it soft selects with auto target and has collision damage and it hard tab targets. So if something is between you and your soft/hard target it will hit them instead. Point is, you will not be able to play it without selection targeting.

But I'm surprised at how good Neverwinter looks.. if it keeps up like this then DDO might be in big trouble.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

It looks great  my interest for tis game just raised !!!

Cryptic is getting to much hate look at STO now its great game and you can get all for free i am enjoying it and havent spent a single buck on it + you get Cryptic poinys for dilithium best F2P so far !!!

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by ElderRat

stand alone co-op rpg from what I read.. Vault had an article saying it would be released in 2011,  looks like they are still working on it.  Competition for D3 I would guess.  But... https://register.perfectworld.com/nw_splash is a link to a f2p mmo called Neverwinter. So either co-op or mmo.  edit: it says: Neverwinter is scheduled to be released in the 4th Quarter of 2012

It was originally intended to be a "OMG", or Online Multiplayer Game as stated by Jack Emmert some time ago. Then, after Cryptic was purchased by Perfect World, it was halted as an OMG (or co-op rpg for all intents and purposes) and started to be re-designed into an MMO. As far as I know anyway.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

For it being 2 mins long I am really pumped from what I saw.  Granted its not much other then action combat in a Dungeon crawl so lets hope there are other important things to do.  As long as its not another WoW clone on-rails themepark ride I'll be happy.  God If I see another ? or ! in this game I will be sorely dissapointed.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It looks more fluid than TSW already.  Nice combat effects.  I like it.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I'm a little apprehensive about the game because it's being developed by Cryptic, but I did sort of like what I saw in the video. Looking forward to more footage to get a better idea.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by ElderRat

It was supposed to be that before Cryptic was bought by PWE. Once that happened, PWE pumped quite a lot of money into cryptic and pretty much forced them to delay and work on Neverwinter for one year longer.

Now it has the open-world city of Neverwinter and a mix of instanced dungeons and open world public areas/zones/dungeons of gameplay.

Originally posted by evicton
    While the game looks good, and I like neverwinter, I got some concerns on this one I would have perfered seeing an open world we don't really need another d&d thats only a dungeon runner thats what ddo is and they are doing a neverwinter themed xpansion.
    The other thing is I hate cryptic there worse then funcom. Being this game is f2p as well i'm sure we will be seeing some wonderful cash shop via there PWI overlords now.

There is an open-world gameplay(zoned most likely) and not just dungeons, if the preview articles are anything to go by. Its all focused on rebuilding and resettling the city of neverwinter and the cataclysm stroke it(going by 4th ed. campaign). So you travel through those areas encountering stuff and solving stuff and etc. Also in terms of gameplay there's the whole player-created campaigns, dungeons and quests(which I am not surprised of since the game has Neverwinter in its title), with almost unnoticeable transition from the game world into them.

Originally they planned to only have the dungeon-running kind of stuff, but now the overworld stuff has been added too.

Originally posted by colddog04

It seems Cryptic has very closely stuck to the lore and actually managed to adapt the DnD 4thed gameplay mechanics into a computer game.

Shift is the dodging skill, while Q and E are the encounter powers you have chosen from those you have unlocked, while Daily Powers are built up in form of rage meters and have bigger cooldowns, instead of its pen and paper counter-part.

both PCGamer and IGn articles seem to suggest that there's a lot of focus on strategical gameplay(resorting to various spells has its own situational strengths and weaknesses and synergies)

The IGN and Masively previews also imply that its more of horizontal progression in that advancing and leveling up allows you to chose more "varied" skill deck.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON