Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

En Masse IP block

corpsegankcorpsegank Member UncommonPosts: 38

En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, Russia, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of Internet traffic we see from these regions are from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior.

Who else finds this extremely ridicioulus 

Comments

• kileakkileak Member Posts: 31

extremely ridicioulus ? no not really... they should of added that they also dont have the license to sell to said regions and as such couldnt anyways even if they wanted to due to BHS owning the game and not en masse....

but thats a diffrent topic more or less... there is alot of cyber crime from some of those regions but it's not the only reason for the block.

• corpsegankcorpsegank Member UncommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by kileak

extremely ridicioulus ? no not really... they should of added that they also dont have the license to sell to said regions and as such couldnt anyways even if they wanted to due to BHS owning the game and not en masse....

but thats a diffrent topic more or less... there is alot of cyber crime from some of those regions but it's not the only reason for the block.

Source, for all of it.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Pretty much this

Hangame owns the rights to K-TERA

NHN owns the rights to J-TERA

OMG owns the rights to C-TERA

and the Russians already have a really good private server to go to so they really don't need anyone at all..lol

Besides IP blocks mean nothing, if you have any idea of how things work they can easily be bypassed. Half of the guild I am in lives in Korea, but they all can play NA TERA just fine.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    I rather they be straight forward and say they don't have distribution rights in those areas rather than lumping them together and accuse the while area as thieves.

they have isolates themselves a huge fanbase by doing so. Their lost I guess...

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by arctarus

I rather they be straight forward and say they don't have distribution rights in those areas rather than lumping them together and accuse the while area as thieves.

Agreed, they could've just done what vindictus does. 

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

i hope Tera EU does the IP block as well

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

TERA EU is only IP blocking Russia. Frogster isn't as paranoid about cybercriminals as En Masse is. And current theory is that Russia has an unannounced local version coming.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Because cyber criminals don't mask their ip...

Rediculous indeed.

Originally posted by Nadya3

i hope Tera EU does the IP block as well.

Arrogance^^

As the post above me says, if someone had the knowledge to hack the game servers and they wanted to do it, they could easily bypass the IP block. This is just fuckin' ridicoulus, if en masse don't want their servers hacked they shouldn't go straight to the worst solution (blocking IPs) which doesn't even do jack shit. If anything, they will probably provoke people to hack them.

• runelynxrunelynx Member Posts: 2

It sounds like you folks are new to MMOs. The core 'target' of the block is not hackers, obviously - nor does it say anywhere that it is. It is the group who ruins the game economics and constantly bothers everyone with password phishing to fuel the farming efforts - which could also easily be filed as 'cyber crime' due to fraud.

It's not hard for anyone to mask their IP, but don't lose focus here please...  it's not hardcore hackers in the intent.

Yeesh. Get a hobby :)

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Originally posted by runelynx

It sounds like you folks are new to MMOs. The core 'target' of the block is not hackers, obviously - nor does it say anywhere that it is. It is the group who ruins the game economics and constantly bothers everyone with password phishing to fuel the farming efforts - which could also easily be filed as 'cyber crime' due to fraud.

It's not hard for anyone to mask their IP, but don't lose focus here please...  it's not hardcore hackers in the intent.

Those people that are out there to phish and steal people's accounts aren't regular users you know. They probably do mask their ip and probably change it every hour, and this ip block will do nothing to them.

I consider myself a normal consumer (obviously not into phishing or anything) and even I'm subscribed to a vpn service.

Originally posted by runelynx

Not new to MMOs at all, i'm more of a veteran. I just generallized all types of cyber crimes into "hacking". Either way, i get that they're blocking Asia, they have their own servers and most gold farmers are korean. But why IP block the middle east, i live in the middle east (Dubai) and there is only one person i've met so far that even knows about the game, and he's korean. I don't even know what i'm trying to prove here but, it just isn't fair that we're getting stereotyped like this.

Originally posted by t0nyd

If you worked in IT security you would understand why they are blocking certain IP's. The average, easiest, and best method of hacking is social engineering. No matter how tight you secure something, acl's, vlans, vm's, the weak leak will always be the end user. When morons set their password to their childname and birthdate, which is all to common, any decent hacker will easily get that person into a conversation about their child. Social engineering takes very little technical know how and blocking IP's will reduce phishing scams, etc.

So you're saying the mentioned regions are being IP blocked because of idiots?

That's the user's fault, not ours. They should promote account security and such, not fuckin' block regions

Edit : Yes we are users too but for fuck sake, how hard is it to make a secure password.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by arctarus

Maybe you should share your market data with them because theirs is obviously wrong. Ooooor... maybe your assessment is based on absolutely nothing other than personal assumption and En Masse's is based on years of actual revenue, demographic and historical data from multiple sources and agencies.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by corpsegank

If you worked in IT security you would understand why they are blocking certain IP's. The average, easiest, and best method of hacking is social engineering. No matter how tight you secure something, acl's, vlans, vm's, the weak leak will always be the end user. When morons set their password to their childname and birthdate, which is all to common, any decent hacker will easily get that person into a conversation about their child. Social engineering takes very little technical know how and blocking IP's will reduce phishing scams, etc.

That's the user's fault, not ours. They should promote account security and such, not fuckin' block regions

Yes, the average end user is an idiot. Yes, the smart people of the world are punished for what the idiots do. Half the laws in the United States exist because the average person is mentally challenged. If the average person were intelligent we wouldnt need speed limits, anti-drug laws, seat belt laws, a drinking age, etc.

I'm aware of this but why are they dumbing things down and not implementing some sort of tutorial/explanation system.

(Sorry i can't explain exactly what i'm thinking of english is not my native language and i have very few words to choose from)

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Yes, the average end user is an idiot. Yes, the smart people of the world are punished for what the idiots do. Half the laws in the United States exist because the average person is mentally challenged. If the average person were intelligent we wouldnt need speed limits, anti-drug laws, seat belt laws, a drinking age, etc.

Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure the average person in the US is of average intelligence.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by bobfish

TERA EU is only IP blocking Russia. Frogster isn't as paranoid about cybercriminals as En Masse is. And current theory is that Russia has an unannounced local version coming.

Never say never:

It was only last year when Frogster ip blocked alot of countrys from playing Runes of Magic, most of the players that were affected by the block had spent lots of money on their accounts and had played the game for a couple of years.

Don't forget either the fiasco with the locking of Diamonds in the auction house, you see Frogster are very paranoid about cyber criminals too.

Originally posted by grimfall

Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure the average person in the US is of average intelligence.

I will quote you, and you're wrong. Even though i don't live in the US, i have been there and holy fuckin' shit. (No offense)

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Look at it this way. Even after IP blocks and Chronoscrolls there could still be a market for illegal RMT and account scamming. What those things do is create walls so that what does get through is easier to notice and take care of.

You think MMO publishers want to have less subs? they are doing this for the benefit of their intended audience sticking to regions not already covered where they have legal recourse.

It's not personal, it's business.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It still sucks but there is really not much to do here.

The cybercriminals will find ways anyways, it is not that hard to mask your IP so that is not what this is about, En masse bought license rights for the places they thought would earn them most money, it is not unlikely that they will add some more places later.