Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PVP game

DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

What is the best PVP game out there right now. This needs to include:

* Population
* Class Balance
* Polish

I am a PVP fanatic, and have played a few games that had decent PVP, But I am really looking at having a pocket game where I level up and can focus entirely on PVP and nothing else unless it is directly related to PVP.

Some of the games that give you an idea of the style of PVP I am looking for: WoW, SWToR.

The only aspects of the game that I cared for were the PvP competition. 3rd person POV, PvP with objectives. Objectives are optional if the PvP play is really just that good.

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

gw2!if you like a mix of first person shooter and dota! i suggest

super monday night combat!(it is in closed beta last time i checked,but it is the coolest dota game i have seen!i dont usually like game like dota ,hon,lol but smnc is one dota game i highly recommend!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

World of Tanks.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Im actually looking forward to Gw2 for that reason. Only reason I dont keep WoW or SWToR as pocket PVP games is because they always fluctuate abilities to try and figure out class balancing so much.

Cnsidering doing one or the other just for the PvP but would kind of rather find a new one if I could.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Dissolution

Some of the games that give you an idea of the style of PVP I am looking for: WoW, SWToR.

Bleh ... um, Rift, Allods? arent many good pvp games like WoW, SWToR ..

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Warhammer was it when it launched, sadly it never stuck it's now a very sparsely pupulated game. almost dead actually.

Aion was supposed to be sort of like that with the rifts you could use to go and gank the opposition. after a lot of poeple started leaving the game sick and tired of getting ganked by enemy twinks they nerfed it hugely and it's now a mostly pve game with end game pvp.

this by the way has been the trend to just about any game that put pvp as it's main focus. eventually too many people complain that pvp feels forced on them and devs are forced to "carebear" it up. shift the focus to pve and coral the pvp to mini games or small areas of the map.

i really can't think of any, fantasy based, tab targeting, 3rd person view mmos that are mostly pvp focused. all mmos are pve first and pvp second. pvp is more like as side mini game then the main feature of the game.

GW2 of course promises a pvp focused end game, but the levelling is still mostly through pve (much like DF, the main focus is pvp but to grind stats you pretty much have to pve ).

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by drbaltazar

gw2!if you like a mix of first person shooter and dota! i suggest

super monday night combat!(it is in closed beta last time i checked,but it is the coolest dota game i have seen!i dont usually like game like dota ,hon,lol but smnc is one dota game i highly recommend!

Don't mean to be mean but OP said out there right now so at this point in time GW2 does not qualify(it might once it launches).  I would have to say EVE, because the PvP is not just shooting but is also political - as in spying and the interactions behind the scenes between corps - just my opinion of course.

Currently bored with MMO's.

On an additional note, I went back to GW a year or so back and it seemed that I needed to really play alot of the game itself again in order to compete.

Is GW a lost cause for PVP if starting out fresh? I really only want a PVP pocket game, not looking to delve into another MMORPG for the PVE just to be able to PVP. Unless it is just to meet level cap.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by Truelevel

Rift....good pvp game???????

Thats so funny.

Aion still has alot of players on the Israphel server. There is always people LFG for all levels of dungeons. Still see lots of pvp going on.

It is alot better and easier to level and gear up.

Only deawback is going up against the vets, they have gear plus the gear is enchanted..........

But a new server will be opening up on the 11th when the game goes F2P and the new server will be for new toons only.

Originally posted by Soandsoso

Thats so funny.

I havent played RIFT in about a year but I kind of have to agree. I had a hard time getting immersed into the PVP. Allods...i played that for a good while but they lost me when they went Ceaser with the cash shop. I stopped back in a couple months ago and although the cash shop seems fixed the world seems....sparse.

Thats so funny.

LOL I know .. I know but come on, what good pvp games out there that are similar to WOW and SWTOR? thats all I could think of :P

Thats so funny.

LOL I know .. I know but come on, what good pvp games out there that are similar to WOW and SWTOR? thats all I could think of :P

Honestly, thats where I am at too. Thats why I asked the community. Thought maybe a couple of gems may be out there I had missed. Contemplating pulling either SWToR or WoW as a pocket PVP game but just hate to do it.

Originally posted by ElderRat

Don't mean to be mean but OP said out there right now so at this point in time GW2 does not qualify(it might once it launches).  I would have to say EVE, because the PvP is not just shooting but is also political - as in spying and the interactions behind the scenes between corps - just my opinion of course.

i was going to suggest EvE but first of all the combat is nothing like WoW or TOR and also, as a sinlge nube player, there is no way you will be able to do any succesful pvp by youself before a minimum of 4 months of steady pve and focused skill trainin. 4 months minimum, and even then you'll have to choose your targets extremey carefully. mostly you'll be doing lots of running away.

maybe if you get into a very active pvp corp and they use you in small pvp roles, then maybe yes....... but by yourself not a chance in hell.

pvp in EvE is also quite expencive and requires a certain ammount of pve to fund it, especially if you dont have a corp giving you free ships.

Thats so funny.

I woulod stick to SW:ToR or WoW.

Rifts soul system will just be too hard to balance and will eventually end up being watered down if it hasn't been already.

And if it hasn't then it is still doing the fotm builds. Which is fine because again leveling is super fast and havinfg a toon for every occasion is not hard at all.

I would recommend Leagus of Legends for your pvp fix. Not a MMO but its some really fun pvp.

I would avoid MMORPG pvp if you are looking for a balanced pvp game.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

best pvp game is and probably will always be (until someone just steals the idea of 3 factions (don't ask me why noone has yet, stupid companies lol)) Dark Age of Camelot.  Even with maybe 100-150 people in the frontiers now days, it's still more fun than anything you can get from a modern mmo.  Companies are so stupid, we need a 3 faction game not 2...planetside 2 maybe? :) 

Never tried DAoC and sadly I am shallow, I need eye candy in the games I play....(

How about Fallen Earth. I have dabbled with the game but never tried any pvp. I hear that pvp is the end game there.

Not WoW or SW:Tor like.

Or GW1???? Just start a pvp toon and go from there?

Aika, seen and read some good reviews on this one. And its F2P.

• BreakingeBreakinge Member UncommonPosts: 44

I would suggest you try Bloodline Champions, I enjoy  it :)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I'm a pvp fanatic as well OP, given that is the case I have to wonder if you are looking for a "pocket pvp game" why you are looking at mmorpgs at all?

You can find much cleaner, instanced, competitive pvp in non mmorpg games. Why bother with the dumbed down crap that games like SWTOR offer if you have little interest in the pve side of things?

Usually I would recommend something like EVE or DF simply because they provide pvp experiences that you cannot find so readily in non mmorpg games.

As that doesn't appear to be what you are looking for, I would suggest waiting for GW2 or Planetside 2 as they may offer decent e-sport/twitch style pvp.

Sadly 99% of most gear grind, instanced pvp mmorpgs are a complete and utter pos.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Gravarg

best pvp game is and probably will always be (until someone just steals the idea of 3 factions (don't ask me why noone has yet, stupid companies lol)) Dark Age of Camelot.  Even with maybe 100-150 people in the frontiers now days, it's still more fun than anything you can get from a modern mmo.  Companies are so stupid, we need a 3 faction game not 2...planetside 2 maybe? :) 

DaoC!!! Thats what I was thinking ... you just wanted a good quick PvP fix I would just do Thidranki ... levels 20-24, No Instance, Always active... probably the best choice out there

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

To op:

Well you have your regular mmo pvp games..

These games are random picks but bascily they all have the same

SWOTR:

Rift:

warhammer online:

Guildwars 2 upcoming game..

OR

There is this

Your choice :P

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

guess you never player planetside eh? :)

yes, ps2 will most likely kick all the other pvp fakers in the ass

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Thane

guess you never player planetside eh? :)

yes, ps2 will most likely kick all the other pvp fakers in the ass

PS2 if you like play to win games. May not be noticable when you start playing it but you will at some point need to spend real money in order to remain competitive. Same will happen with GW2.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

WAR...nuff said

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I cannot talk of pvp games since I have no interest.

Realm vs realm is my interest.Sadly there are no viable games IMO at this time.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Darkfall

All others mmo pvp games are for wanna be pvpers.

/thread

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Darkfall

All others mmo pvp games are for wanna be pvpers.

/thread

what is sad is just how much pve you have to do in this game to be competitive in pvp.