Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fanboyism is actually making me dislike the game

Comments

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

I understand to a degree the Op's opinion. I am eager to see GW2 as well, but the fanboism is a bit ridiculous. You really cannot scroll through a single thread on here without the "GW2 will be the savior of all MMO's" post. Of course this will not deter me from playing by any means, I also find myself wanting the game to dissapoint some people which is bad in its own right.

As long as you accept it for what it is and not let overly hyped expectations ruin what it is every game has it's good points.

I remember when the movie "The Village" came out. Evidentally it was so hyped to be something it wasnt the majority who saw it were dissapointed. When I saw it I watched it for what it was knowing nothing at all about how it was hyped. I liked it for what it was while everyone else was bitter because it wasnt what they thought it would be.

I was really happy I went into it without all that built up hype or I would probably have been dissapointed too. Nothing in life lives up to exagerated hype. The ones who are expecting this to be the savior of all MMOs, descending from a veil of clouds are setting themselves up for dissapointment. The ones who are going into this looking at it as an interesting new concept will probably be happy with alot of what they find.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by bishbosh

fanboyism is actually making me dislike the game 

Then you are far too emotionally invested in what others are saying.

My advice? If others supporting the game that others obviously have such a passion for trolling bothers you so much jut stop reading (and posting inflammatory   threads) on GW2 forums and go play something else until it gets here. It's that easy.

You only have to deal with 'fanboys' if you actively seek them out.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Originally posted by sapheroith

I dont get it why people complain about CS in GW2, EVERY single mmo has some kind of microtransaction, not to mention CS in GW2 only have cosmetic and time saving items.

And Scroll of Res > exp scroll in every way.

To OP: no other games have more fanboi than Wow and SWTOR, go complain there.

so basically you are saying a complaint is no longer valid if that complain can be applied to other games?

ridiculous.

Actually, what it means is, your now out in the cold, for that last few years, MMOs have catered to gamers like you. Chasing pixels and swinging your epeens. Now that it is changing, you cant seem to handle it, a pity really.

But, dispite your insults, we will be enjoying our casual game, with our CS. Thank you!

im a casual gamer ....

spending IRL money on pixels is probably worse than playing for them....

i think you just made yourself look like a turd

Then you havent been paying attention, there are no pixals to chase, no advantages for you here. Just an even playing field.

im calling BS on this. siege weapons cost in game gold. in game gold can be bought with real money. might not be a big deal but they are selling in game advantage. if they lied about this who knows what else they will lie about (someone even posted a small list of things like repair costs, squad commander etc)

also i really doubt it will be level playing field. most likely lies. i dont really trust arena net anymore.

Others have pointed out your mistakes, but I'll jump in too.

You cannot buy gold, you buy gems, you cannot buy siege with gems. Plus, you need supply + gold to build siege.

So, everything you have said is a  flat out lie.

Originally posted by coretex666

For me, it goes without saying that the GW 2 forum is different than lets say forum dedicated to ArcheAge...everyone here is defending the game like crazy even against posts that are not intended to hurt the game in any sense, but it also works the other way around too. People are bashing the game much more either.

Dunno why there are so strong feelings about it....just wait till its released and we will all see.I wouldnt say it justifies actual change of opinion about purchasing the game, that I find a little ridiculous.

I admit that it is pretty uncomfortable to discuss anything on GW 2 forum since many people here seem irritated

I've been thinking the same, why some people feel so strongly about bashing gamers looking forward to a game? Where does all this hate come from? Its bizzare.

Honestly, I have seen maybe one or two threads with honest concerns, the rest were just bait to piss people off. The fanbois are not the problem, its the trolls.

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

You cannot buy gold, you buy gems, you cannot buy siege with gems. Plus, you need supply + gold to build siege.

I think theyre trying to have it both ways, and ultimately that doesnt work. If you have a cash shop with stuff in it that doesnt somehow enhance your experience beyond that of someone who doenst utilize it, the merchandise wont sell. On the other hand they know a lot of their customers arent comfortable with that concept and thus theyre trying to down play it. To me the question is as time goes on is will they abandon their stance for the almighty dollar down the road?

Originally posted by Callidor

I think theyre trying to have it both ways, and ultimately that doesnt work. If you have a cash shop with stuff in it that doesnt somehow enhance your experience beyond that of someone who doenst utilize it, the merchandise wont sell. On the other hand they know a lot of their customers arent comfortable with that concept and thus theyre trying to down play it. To me the question is as time goes on is will they abandon their stance for the almighty dollar down the road?

That was a sad attempt to dismiss my post, lacking any sense at all.

Answer teh question, he said you could buy gold, then guy siege, that is a lie. Are you denying that?

And if you want to argue about what is going to happen down the road, I wont waste my time, I will wait and see. But, I doubt they will, because they have too many successfull models to follow, like League of Legends, where the CS works perfectly.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

people staunchly defending everything about gw2 is reminding me of all those other fail mmorpgs out there. they all had the same fanboy crowd licking up any crap thrown at them and BAM the game tanks. 

i was intent on prerodering 10th april and now i dont even know if i want to buy the game. i dont want to play a game full of people that will take any crap from the devs/publisher because i know in the long run the game will suck because criticisms will be drowned out with " WOW had the same problems on release", " you havent even played to max level", "go back to WOW" etc etc. 

i dont know if im the only one that gets turned off game by fanboyism, there are probably more people out there so i think its best to take that into consideration and be a bit more welcoming and less aggresive/vile when someone criticises gw2 or questions its "greatness". i would like to see gw2 do well (more compeition=better games for us) but games wont do well if developers cannot hear the players complaints.

If you look things this way, you should not watch for unreleased games, or follow forums, blogs or w/e about them. You cannot evade fanboyism and/or hatred in any form of internet which allows a comments about a video game. Each game, especially a game with this hype, have both fanboys and haters. One may like particular feature of one game, while other dislike it.

In the end, you should give any game a chance and judge for yourself, not by considering the amount of publicity defending/attacking it.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Maybe a new term is required rather than P2W, how about GoP, Grind or Pay?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Do you often let other people form your opinions?

no i just explained in my post. other peoples opinions dont matter to me. its just that its impossible for a game to improve/get fixed if fanboys keep drowning out criticisms. i dont want to play a game that is doomed due to its playerbase. also i dont like such people, i dont want to play with them because they are stupid.

that same thing happens with subscription fanbois who dont want to accept when a game is not worth a sub, just to keep paying they claim that sub makes games better (which hasnt been proved in years) and that no sub always = pay2win (which is not always true)

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by RefMinor

I'm never going to get that out of my head now lol. image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

fanboism? We'll have no fanboi's here! This is a local game, for local people!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i think neither p2w nor gop works for gw2. Lets wait for launch and see the final product tho. WHat i dont understand is why people would want to reach level cap in a couple of days (ANET isnt giving any money or prize for the first one to reach lvl cap). Its a million times better to take your time in the game, having fun and learning the game and exploring a huge world.

i believe all who rush to lvl cap only get disappointed at lvl cap and then complain about the company for not having more content...

i dont like grinding, but i do like to spend months playing and still find new things to do in the game because im still not lvl cap and bored

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Do you often let other people form your opinions?

no i just explained in my post. other peoples opinions dont matter to me. its just that its impossible for a game to improve/get fixed if fanboys keep drowning out criticisms. i dont want to play a game that is doomed due to its playerbase. also i dont like such people, i dont want to play with them because they are stupid.

that same thing happens with subscription fanbois who dont want to accept when a game is not worth a sub, just to keep paying they claim that sub makes games better (which hasnt been proved in years) and that no sub always = pay2win (which is not always true)

Its not possible to prove that F2P or P2P games are better or worse. Its all opinion and subjective. Some prefer F2P games even if some of them are P2W or sell advantages. Others have valid reasons to like and prefer P2P games. Some that really like P2P games would never even try or consider playing a F2P title. Others that like F2P refuse to pay a monthly fee and would never play a P2P game.

For some the business model is important and makes a huge difference when they decide if they want to play a game or not. Others play both F2P and P2P games and think its less important...

And if a game is worth a sub or not is something every individual player must decide. Then the company will have to decide if they think profit is good enough...

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

people staunchly defending everything about gw2 is reminding me of all those other fail mmorpgs out there. they all had the same fanboy crowd licking up any crap thrown at them and BAM the game tanks. 

i was intent on prerodering 10th april and now i dont even know if i want to buy the game. i dont want to play a game full of people that will take any crap from the devs/publisher because i know in the long run the game will suck because criticisms will be drowned out with " WOW had the same problems on release", " you havent even played to max level", "go back to WOW" etc etc. 

i dont know if im the only one that gets turned off game by fanboyism, there are probably more people out there so i think its best to take that into consideration and be a bit more welcoming and less aggresive/vile when someone criticises gw2 or questions its "greatness". i would like to see gw2 do well (more compeition=better games for us) but games wont do well if developers cannot hear the players complaints.

So you basically say that Arenanet is not capable of looking beyond the praises for their upcoming game? I find that quite condescending of you to underestimate their developers that way :p

Check guildwars2guru website. You will see a lot of criticism about guild wars 2 and also good arguments in favour and against certain mechanics. There is also a devtracker that shows that Arenanet checks that forum. They do see the criticism and respond to it. That is if you are capable to look beyond the fanboy posts on that website :p I agree with you that there are some very persistant yes-sayers. But that is with every popular upcoming MMO unfortunately.

Originally posted by someforumguy

So you basically say that Arenanet is not capable of looking beyond the praises for their upcoming game? I find that quite condescending of you to underestimate their developers that way :p

Check guildwars2guru website. You will see a lot of criticism about guild wars 2 and also good arguments in favour and against certain mechanics. There is also a devtracker that shows that Arenanet checks that forum. They do see the criticism and respond to it. That is if you are capable to look beyond the fanboy posts on that website :p I agree with you that there are some very persistant yes-sayers. But that is with every popular upcoming MMO unfortunately.

Im with you bishbosh, I refuse to even play new games til theyve had 6 months to mature and Ive had time to make do proper research in terms of other peoples opinions. With all the flops out there Im suprised any game has any fanboys these days. Be suspicious folks, maybe we will get companies to work a little harder on their products if we dont act like pigs at the trough everytime theres a new release.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

You can easily spot who's a fanboy when they're being ignorant of any possible shortcoming of the game. You can also see if they're being a fanboy when they automatically label someone who has criticism about the game as a hater. Or when they respond to every sign of criticism with "LOL THEN DONT PLAY".

But! You can also easily spot a troll/hater when they claim their dislikes about the game are facts. When they claim anyone who likes a certain aspect about the game that they don't like are fanboys. When they claim that people are being ignorant to the faults in the game, even though it's a matter of opinion (that's right, having no problem with the CS doesn't mean those people are being ignorant, silly gainesvillegimage). When they claim they're making constructive criticism, when in fact their posts are just plain laughable. Or when they label all the people who defend the game in a constructive way as fanboys, but label all the braindead "lol game sucks" or "lol gems-to-gold lol influence lol p2w" as valid criticism.

When you have a thread like this that is mixed with both these types of posters, and a few "true neutrals" in between, the thread is just doomed to become a mess. So the best way to respond in this thread is with funny, unrelated pictures.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

How for hell can fanboys affect your opinion about the game??   I i like one game i really do not take care about any post on this or any other forum

Originally posted by Callidor

Originally posted by someforumguy

Im with you bishbosh, I refuse to even play new games til theyve had 6 months to mature and Ive had time to make do proper research in terms of other peoples opinions. With all the flops out there Im suprised any game has any fanboys these days. Be suspicious folks, maybe we will get companies to work a little harder on their products if we dont act like pigs at the trough everytime theres a new release.

So your avoiding my question, ok.

There is nothing wrong with waiting a few months after release, I do that most of the time. But, I have another question for you, will you stay here and bash the game for 6 more months?   .....lol

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

I understand what you mean, but have you even gone to Guild Wars 2 Guru? I mean, anytime there's a new feature or idea of the game that generates controversy there's a giant tsunami of fans claiming about it and lots of threads and post on how to make it better. The problem is that a lot of these fans just whine about everything, while some others protect the game at all costs, but that doesn't change the fact that the game has been seriously modified since we saw the first demo almost 2-3 years ago. A lot of it because of the fans whining.

Most devellopers never show their game, or just show 1 aspect of it that is the "new innovation" (and only one) they have, and they have all their fans supporting the game, untill it's released and it survives for like, 3 months.

Do you know why people think Guild Wars 2 will be different? Because ArenaNet devs have been changing the game according to players feedback, whether they are fans or not, whether they play mmorpgs or not. And those changes aren't things made in a rush, they are things that get through many different tests untill it satisfies them and the players. They go from little things like walking and eye colors to dramatic changes like the the sylvari. Fans don't support the game because it's god-like. they support the game because they know that if something changes, they will talk about it and ArenaNet devs will hear them. And if something isn't showed officially by ArenaNet, then it's not to concern much untill it is, because it will probably change untill then.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Then we need modified expressions too like:

One man's grind is another man's pleasureimage

Just curious, what are you grinding for?

From what I have read, you get bumped up in WvW, and the PvE has some sort of system for that too. I dont get it.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

ever thought about the fact that people might defend it because they actually LIKE WHAT THEY SEE so far? no? no forther argumentation needed then

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

My main issue are the ones that have been claiming for the past year that the game will not be PVP focused at end game.  It's not the be all, end all of MMOs.  It is innovative, but it doesn't appeal to everyone.  I think GW2 is way overhyped and I won't be buying it as I find D3 much more interesting in the near term.

Originally posted by Thane

ever thought about the fact that people might defend it because they actually LIKE WHAT THEY SEE so far? no? no forther argumentation needed then

The crux is, like you can't judge a book by its cover, weve now learned you cant judge an MMO by its marketing campaign.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

most people arent defending gw2 per se, theyre probably just defending ANet because theyre so awesome. it doesnt really matter as there are so few gw2 haters.

in any case, youre as annoying as the haters, because youre hating on the haters.

This discussion has been closed.