Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fanboyism is actually making me dislike the game

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by romanator0

Wow, so something can be bought in-game with in-game currency?! That is SOOOOOOO pay2win! You've totally made me see the light of your impeccable logic. I will grovel before you and decry ArenaNet as the foul criminals they are.

/end sarcasm

You should go take a nap. Come back when you have an example that might come anywhere near pay2win and then maybe I can take you seriously.

Ok, we are getting somewhere now.  You admit you can buy advantage with gold.  Now, wait for it, you can buy gems for real life cash and sell them in game for gold.

Understand now?  Or do I have to continue repeating my cash->gems->gold->influence->RvRvR flow chart?

You're logic only works because you are forcing it to. The boost is bought in-game. It is bought using in-game gold. This boost is not a direct advantage because it is not strictly for WvW. Even if it is used for WvW it is only applicable if your guild captures a keep. There is also the fact that the same bonus is gained simply by playing the game and getting other bonuses for your guild from other guild upgrade categories. 

Ask yourself this, why is anyone going to spend real money on gems to trade them for gold to purchase a guild bonus that can be optained even more easily by having guild members simply playing the game for a few minutes.

The bottom line is that there is no advantage. Real money can't directly get your guild an advantage in WvW or directly get your guild a boost so your guild can achieve those upgrades more easily. You might as well say that people playing the game have more of an advantage since they can get these so called "advantages" in a quicker and easier manner.

• comradedougcomradedoug Member Posts: 30

In my F2P experience in lotro, it became "P2W" when the discrepency between game-time and money-time become amazing scewed. It would sometimes take 6+ hours of game time to get something that cost 3 bucks. Honestly, I was obliged to buy because I make more than .50 cents an hour at my job. They made it, perhaps purposely, an amazing waste of time to actually get something in-game (sometimes requiring groups, adding more time to it). 

If Guild Wars offers PvP altering buffs that are signficantly harder to get in-game than they are compared to money/time ratios, they will already be heading down the wrong path at launch.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by sapheroith

Your logic is comical. I buy a piece of armor on the AH with gold and suddenly im labeled as "pay2win". Its like i cant spent my gold however i want ingame.

I know you arent responding to me, but.....

If you pay lots of cash to buy gems, then sell the gems for gold, then buy the nicest armor and weapons at Auction for gold, then head straight into Realm VS Realm and whoop butt, then yes, its Pay to Win.   Because the origin of your armor and weapons was real life money which you then used to whomp on people who didnt pay in PVP. 

This is the only and truly valid cash shop concern in my opinion.  As I see no others. 

You really dont get it. You can't buy better gear than another player. Once people are 80 and they get the basic gear, there is no better gear to get.

So your concern should feel a bit better now.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Your logic is comical. I buy a piece of armor on the AH with gold and suddenly im labeled as "pay2win". Its like i cant spent my gold however i want ingame.

If you pay lots of cash to buy gems, then sell the gems for gold, then buy the nicest armor and weapons at Auction for gold, then head straight into Realm VS Realm and whoop butt, then yes, its Pay to Win.   Because the origin of your armor and weapons was real life money which you then used to whomp on people who didnt pay in PVP. 

This is the only and truly valid cash shop concern in my opinion.  As I see no others. 

Armor doesn't make you overpowered in GW2 like it does in WoW, so the concern is really moot. All max level armor will be around the same tier/rank/quality, it'll just look differently. So if you buy lots of gems and trade them for gold and buy some armor on the AH, you'll be on par with the rest of the level 80s.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Do you often let other people form your opinions?

Not only that. Then he bitches on a forum about it. Even more sad.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Social areas of the net are now an outlet for marketing, the hype by supposed players you can be sure stems from the companies themselves making sure their games  find their way into the eye of the community hype storms. This site is used a lot by game companies posing as your average gamer stirring up hype interest for their MMO's. Try  talk down one of the so called player return reviews on MMO's on this site and you'll soon have a warning from the staff, they have an interest to keep it going as these companies pay for the favour to hype here.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by bishbosh

no i just explained in my post. other peoples opinions dont matter to me. its just that its impossible for a game to improve/get fixed if fanboys keep drowning out criticisms. i dont want to play a game that is doomed due to its playerbase. also i dont like such people, i dont want to play with them because they are stupid.

I have yet to see anything that Anet is doing with GW2 that I should have an issue with.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Serious or do you not realize that GW2 isnt based on gear liek WoW or any other game......There is no uber leet epicz, all end game gear is relative and no one will be able to outgear another.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by colddog04

You really dont get it. You can't buy better gear than another player. Once people are 80 and they get the basic gear, there is no better gear to get.

If thats true, and I hope it is, then it kind of squashes the concern.   Thanks. 

I'd add one thing I like about the cash shop is I can buy gems for gold I earn playing.  And with that I can get character slots without having to dish out RL cash to get them.   There's probably a few other things in there I might "need" that I can just get by buying gems at auction. 

So the cash shop adds an element missing from just about every other mmorpgs in existence in just the ability to buy character slots potentially by just playing the game.  So its not all bad.  In fact the flip side can be kind of awesome.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by comradedoug

In my F2P experience in lotro, it became "P2W" when the discrepency between game-time and money-time become amazing scewed.

Explain how there can POSSIBLY be a  "Pay to win" element in a PVE game?  You are contributing nothing to this discussion!

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by colddog04

If thats true, and I hope it is, then it kind of squashes the concern.   Thanks. 

I'd add one thing I like about the cash shop is I can buy gems for gold I earn playing.  And with that I can get character slots without having to dish out RL cash to get them.   There's probably a few other things in there I might "need" that I can just get by buying gems at auction. 

So the cash shop adds an element missing from just about every other mmorpgs in existence in just the ability to buy character slots potentially by just playing the game.  So its not all bad.  In fact the flip side can be kind of awesome.

Yeh, this is actually the good things about CS. Unlike Wow, which you have to pay real money for account services, you can use ingame currency to get those services in GW2.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Eliandal

Originally posted by comradedoug

In my F2P experience in lotro, it became "P2W" when the discrepency between game-time and money-time become amazing scewed.

Explain how there can POSSIBLY be a  "Pay to win" element in a PVE game?  You are contributing nothing to this discussion!

If you are in any way competing in PVE. Levelling as fast as possible. Killing raid bosses trying to be server first...and so on.

In lotro there is also monsterplay. A type of PVP. Not very good, IMO. But anyway. Some of the worst shop exclusive boost are for PVP/Monsterplay.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

So tired to see this word,stop using that word like its a gender thing,

there is fan girl too..

so just use Fan. 

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Alot can go wrong with a CS, but i cant see it yet personaly. Time convinent items are a good way to go for a company.

It promote useing the shop but not in an unfair practice like some of the horror story we have heard befor.

League of legend has that system, 100% fair but unless you wanted to play tons of houre every week you would need to spend money( i have spent a ton gladly yet im just as big of a newbie as if i didt use it). Stil its fully f2p for younger people that have more time then money.

Gw2 goes further and allow f2p users to use the Cs for free if they are willing to put in the time. This will please the f2p as they can get everything ingame and it please the Cs users as they can save some time.

^That one is very importand for how this game is recived by those that dont want to pay. Alot of those are kids/collage people that cant pay even if they want to. I dont think f2p companies truly understand how important this is. And shouldt matter to em as long as someone has to buy it with rl money.

If your not willing to put in the time or money your screwed, but sadly for those people they are so few that there aint much money to be made on em anyway.

Most that argue that this shop is p2w never wanted to play  this game or any game that has a Cs.

Sub/vanity=Good!, f2p+vanity/timesaveing = Bad!

When you accept to pay a sub so devs can continue to develope the game, and then sell it back to you as an expansion noone cares. But omg try and remove the sub and give em an option to use the CS store if they want or have a busy life.

Coo-coo for coco puffs we call that.

I spot many wannabe forum warriors, mmorpg.com should start to charge 1$/mo as this is to good entertainment for free ^.^

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Onomic

Alot can go wrong with a CS, but i cant see it yet personaly. Time convinent items are a good way to go for a company.

True.  I don't even know if that's ever been disputed.  But if you point out that people are jumping the gun as the game is months away from release, people call you "blind fanbois".  Both sides are a little blind, to be perfectly fair.  I don't care much, like I've said, I'm just posting to spend some time til the game's out, since I'm still very much excited to play it, and I won't need to come here again because nothing else on the horizon interests me a ton.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Onomic

It promote useing the shop but not in an unfair practice like some of the horror story we have heard befor.

League of legend has that system, 100% fair but unless you wanted to play tons of houre every week you would need to spend money( i have spent a ton gladly yet im just as big of a newbie as if i didt use it). Stil its fully f2p for younger people that have more time then money.

Gw2 goes further and allow f2p users to use the Cs for free if they are willing to put in the time. This will please the f2p as they can get everything ingame and it please the Cs users as they can save some time.

^That one is very importand for how this game is recived by those that dont want to pay. Alot of those are kids/collage people that cant pay even if they want to. I dont think f2p companies truly understand how important this is. And shouldt matter to em as long as someone has to buy it with rl money.

If your not willing to put in the time or money your screwed, but sadly for those people they are so few that there aint much money to be made on em anyway.

Most that argue that this shop is p2w never wanted to play  this game or any game that has a Cs.

Sub/vanity=Good!, f2p+vanity/timesaveing = Bad!

When you accept to pay a sub so devs can continue to develope the game, and then sell it back to you as an expansion noone cares. But omg try and remove the sub and give em an option to use the CS store if they want or have a busy life.

Coo-coo for coco puffs we call that.

I spot many wannabe forum warriors, mmorpg.com should start to charge 1$/mo as this is to good entertainment for free ^.^

If someone think a cash shop is OK or not is really 100% subjective. Personally I will not do some crazy mind numbing grind in a game if I can go to a CS and pay some money to avoid it. And I dont think its very good to design a game like that. To add grind that makes people feel they need to use the CS. Of course if it feels like grind or not also depends on the player. You can never know what some other player think is a grind.... But a company certainly want to make money when they dsign a game that way. And believe enough people will use the CS...

And it really makes no difference if we call it P2W or not. If they sell advantages that a lot of players think they need and wants to buy.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by xenogias

Originally posted by sammyeli

You can only carry 10 supply, seige weapon blueprint only costs 10 silver, which you can make by the time you are level 3 and you can purchase more than 5 blue prints by the time you are level 8 if you are doing this solo and not with a guild.

You can purchage the most expensive blueprint which is 1 gold and some odd silver by the time you are level 13 or 14 if you are solo that is and not with a guild that is supporting you. 

Now for the rest of you please check posting history before you get trolled and lets gtfo out of this thread.

ive heard similar stuff like this before in pay2win game forums. "oh you can always farm in game blah blah etc etc"

ask yourself this

does RMT in anyway improve the game?

no it doesnt. 

developers spent your money to develop the RMT system that could have been used to make the game better.

the RMT system will only make it easier for gold farmers to function if it doesnt then gold farmer will fucntion underground like the normally do.

RMT system is a strong base for implementation of pay2win gameplay

RMT was a big lie, they said only cosmetic items. no in game advantage no matter how small

RMT was NOT a lie. They had given NO information about how thier cash shop system would work. Though they did not tell the truth about cosmetic only, I have to give you that. Cosmetic only and RMT are two diffrent things though.

I love how you are making me sound like a fanboi when I am anything but.  We simply disagree about what is P2W. And I am taking the stance of "I'll see whats what when I get to endgame" rather than "This game is doomed even though no one knows for sure what its going to turn out to be."  If you turn out to be right, and it turns into P2W and/or selling gems turns out to be a huge advantage then I will simply stop playing. If it turns out Anet wants to keep thier reputation and the cash shop turns out to be no big deal then I will enjoy the game beyond just getting to 80.

im not making you out to be a fanboi. at this point i dont even know who i am responding to. 

im not sure why the we need to prove that a feature is damaging to the game for it to be considered bad . if RMT is not doing anything positive for the game then it should not be there. adding features like RMT costs YOU money. why do you defend such features when the developer could have instead added more content. isnt this reason enough to dislike a feature in a game?

we are having a huge argument here whether RMT is pay2win or not. it doesnt really matter, because either way you are playing a game that has sacrificed content or polish or features so they developers can include a system that can only harm the game.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by sk8chalif

So tired to see this word,stop using that word like its a gender thing,

there is fan girl too..

so just use Fan. 

last thing we need in this thread is a 3rd wave feminist flapping her tongue. already too much shit going down

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by Hurvart

And it really makes no difference if we call it P2W or not. If they sell advantages that a lot of players think they need and wants to buy.

This i respect, if you dont like CS you dont like it. I have even been there once and fully understand it.

But alot here aint like you though.

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by xenogias

Originally posted by sammyeli

You can only carry 10 supply, seige weapon blueprint only costs 10 silver, which you can make by the time you are level 3 and you can purchase more than 5 blue prints by the time you are level 8 if you are doing this solo and not with a guild.

You can purchage the most expensive blueprint which is 1 gold and some odd silver by the time you are level 13 or 14 if you are solo that is and not with a guild that is supporting you. 

Now for the rest of you please check posting history before you get trolled and lets gtfo out of this thread.

ive heard similar stuff like this before in pay2win game forums. "oh you can always farm in game blah blah etc etc"

ask yourself this

does RMT in anyway improve the game?

no it doesnt. 

developers spent your money to develop the RMT system that could have been used to make the game better.

the RMT system will only make it easier for gold farmers to function if it doesnt then gold farmer will fucntion underground like the normally do.

RMT system is a strong base for implementation of pay2win gameplay

RMT was a big lie, they said only cosmetic items. no in game advantage no matter how small

RMT was NOT a lie. They had given NO information about how thier cash shop system would work. Though they did not tell the truth about cosmetic only, I have to give you that. Cosmetic only and RMT are two diffrent things though.

I love how you are making me sound like a fanboi when I am anything but.  We simply disagree about what is P2W. And I am taking the stance of "I'll see whats what when I get to endgame" rather than "This game is doomed even though no one knows for sure what its going to turn out to be."  If you turn out to be right, and it turns into P2W and/or selling gems turns out to be a huge advantage then I will simply stop playing. If it turns out Anet wants to keep thier reputation and the cash shop turns out to be no big deal then I will enjoy the game beyond just getting to 80.

im not making you out to be a fanboi. at this point i dont even know who i am responding to. 

im not sure why the we need to prove that a feature is damaging to the game for it to be considered bad . if RMT is not doing anything positive for the game then it should not be there. adding features like RMT costs YOU money. why do you defend such features when the developer could have instead added more content. isnt this reason enough to dislike a feature in a game?

we are having a huge argument here whether RMT is pay2win or not. it doesnt really matter, because either way you are playing a game that has sacrificed content or polish or features so they developers can include a system that can only harm the game.

You are talking like the game is already realease. How do you know its damaging the game or not doing anything positive?

Maybe you want to add to your argument RMT cost you ingame gold too, so you dont sound biased?

How do you think developers are going to add content without enough fund?

If you cant answer these, just dont dish out statements like this while you cant think outside your little box.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

To be fair to all sides:

Is GW2 better than WoW on a purely objective level? that is a matter of taste.

Is GW2 better than WoW on a purely subjective level? not yet, why? because WoW at least at one point had a great community, if GW2 ever has a community similar to what WoW had in its vanilla -early TBC days then it will be a better game because WoW no longer has a community that good.

On the matter of fanboy/fangirl, there are more boys being fans than girls and it is usually used as a derrogative term (IE: said person would love a sexual liason with a character x from the game par example) so a feminist (or woman in general) demanding to be called a fangirl is rather... humours and indicative of just what type of women go the "I want equal right with men while maintaining a privilaged woman status too!" route.

Also to not miss any fan group with my post

SWGemu >>>GW2 >>most WoW clones out there (ToR included)

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

Is pretty fun how peoples say WoW community is horrible.. but the GW2 fanboys takes the award at horrible community of the year by far.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

the internet's bad side that never will go away.

You have to argue with immature people about superficial things.

Only grown ups should be able to post :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Everyone should base their opinion on the facts, an they are clearly vissible for GW2, except for those that have no clue about the mechnismes behind a good MMO

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

You can have your opinion, but unfortunately it's only you in this dark, cold, cruel world.

I guess I will not be seeing you in game. Bubai!

This discussion has been closed.