Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fanboyism is actually making me dislike the game

Comments

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by bishbosh

i dont understand how people swallowed the RMT thing. do you people realise that if you keep taking this crap RMT will be part of every single mmorpg the near future? are you ok with pay2win being an attribute associated with mmorpgs?

everytime you accept crap from devs they are like "woo looks like we can get away with this everytime" this is how we ended up with  8 year+ of wow clones.

when i spend $60 on a game i want that money to spent on creating a fun game and possible creating another fun game in the near future. i dont want it being spent on pay2 win gold farmers paradise systems...

The most ironic thing is not only have many accepted the RMT thing as no big deal, they actually use it as an excuse that absoutely NOTHING in the cash shop could now EVER be pay2win because you can grind for gold to buy gems to buy the item in the cash shop with in-game currency.  So many Anet fans now would literally support the "uber sword of pwnage" offered in a cash shop because "well you can grind gold to buy gems in game" so it is all good.

It's a crazy world out there and people can convince themselves of anything.  Sometimes I think Anet is running a psychology experiment on their fans to see how much they can get them to accept before at the end Anet says "Ha ha gotcha!  We actually got you to defend our uber sword of pwnage!"

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by sapheroith

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Originally posted by Adalwulff

I dont get it why people complain about CS in GW2, EVERY single mmo has some kind of microtransaction, not to mention CS in GW2 only have cosmetic and time saving items.

And Scroll of Res > exp scroll in every way.

To OP: no other games have more fanboi than Wow and SWTOR, go complain there.

so basically you are saying a complaint is no longer valid if that complain can be applied to other games?

ridiculous.

Actually, what it means is, your now out in the cold, for that last few years, MMOs have catered to gamers like you. Chasing pixels and swinging your epeens. Now that it is changing, you cant seem to handle it, a pity really.

But, dispite your insults, we will be enjoying our casual game, with our CS. Thank you!

im a casual gamer ....

spending IRL money on pixels is probably worse than playing for them....

i think you just made yourself look like a turd

Then you havent been paying attention, there are no pixals to chase, no advantages for you here. Just an even playing field.

im calling BS on this. siege weapons cost in game gold. in game gold can be bought with real money. might not be a big deal but they are selling in game advantage. if they lied about this who knows what else they will lie about (someone even posted a small list of things like repair costs, squad commander etc)

also i really doubt it will be level playing field. most likely lies. i dont really trust arena net anymore.

Do you know that siege weapon also need supply to build? If you have tons of gold and no supply, you still cant build it. Maybe you want to do some research before making stupid statement like this.

And linking something like building 1 siege weapon with gameplay advantage is just sad. Because there is nothing else you can think of?

If you can find evidence of gameplay advantage in structured PVP, then come back and trash talk about even playing field.

what if you have tons of supply and no in game gold?

initially you said "no advantages for you here" but clearly there is. 

what about karma boosts, exp boosts, repair costs

why does my pay2win example have to be structured PVP specific. there is more to the game than just structured pvp. if i wanted to play structured pvp why wouldnt i just play quake 3, dota or counterstrike?

You are make an assumption without playing the game. How do you know its easier to get supplies than gold? My post was trying to crorrect your thought of siege weapon can be bought with gold, which is clearly wrong.

As for karma/exp boost, I dont see a problem. Its an option you choose to buy it or not. Its not like people care how fast i can get my cosmetic armor.

Speaking of advantages, to my utter dissappointment that school kids have more time to spend than me, therefore i am completely disadvantaged. /sarcasm

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

i dont understand how people swallowed the RMT thing. do you people realise that if you keep taking this crap RMT will be part of every single mmorpg the near future? are you ok with pay2win being an attribute associated with mmorpgs?

everytime you accept crap from devs they are like "woo looks like we can get away with this everytime" this is how we ended up with  8 year+ of wow clones.

when i spend $60 on a game i want that money to spent on creating a fun game and possible creating another fun game in the near future. i dont want it being spent on pay2 win gold farmers paradise systems that will attempt to take more of my money to fund some child labour magnate's bentley in china.

/agree

Although I dont have faith in people's intelligence that they will do the proper thing to 'turn the ship'. This is the same mentality that gets bad people elected for public office.

On the other hand. I only support a game that doesnt have RMT's, is completely open world, has day and night, is all skill based, has no map or quick teleports, no quests, and so on. But yet I hear people complaining about themepark quality as it is today, but people still go out and buy the overhyped themeparks with RMT's.

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

when i spend $60 on a game i want that money to spent on creating a fun game and possible creating another fun game in the near future. i dont want it being spent on pay2 win gold farmers paradise systems...

The most ironic thing is not only have many accepted the RMT thing as no big deal, they actually use it as an excuse that absoutely NOTHING in the cash shop could now EVER be pay2win because you can grind for gold to buy gems to buy the item in the cash shop with in-game currency.  So many Anet fans now would literally support the "uber sword of pwnage" offered in a cash shop because "well you can grind gold to buy gems in game" so it is all good.

It's a crazy world out there and people can convince themselves of anything.  Sometimes I think Anet is running a psychology experiment on their fans to see how much they can get them to accept before at the end Anet says "Ha ha gotcha!  We actually got you to defend our uber sword of pwnage!"

The most ironic thing is RMT is already part of every mmo.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

And theft/murder is part of every society, but that doesn't mean you legalize it...

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

I am going to outright challenge you on this, because the entire basis of ArenaNet's philosophy rides on the fact that you cannot buy the most powerful weapons in the game with gold (and what would those weapons even be? Anybody who's so opposed to this possibility even understand what "the most powerful weapon in the game" would look like? Anybody even know what Obsidian Armor or Destroyer Weapons are?).

It's possible to be supportive of the fact that the cash shop could sell anything that is also available in the game with gold because the most prestigious (not powerful) weapons and armor in the game will *never* be purchaseable with in-game gold. Nothing they have said about the cash shop has in any remote way reneged on that position.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

No its not. www.mortalonline.com

The same game that also has no instances, is truly open world, has no quests, so on and so forth.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

You can only carry 10 supply, seige weapon blueprint only costs 10 silver, which you can make by the time you are level 3 and you can purchase more than 5 blue prints by the time you are level 8 if you are doing this solo and not with a guild.

You can purchage the most expensive blueprint which is 1 gold and some odd silver by the time you are level 13 or 14 if you are solo that is and not with a guild that is supporting you. 

Now for the rest of you please check posting history before you get trolled and lets gtfo out of this thread.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by sidhaethe

I am going to outright challenge you on this, because the entire basis of ArenaNet's philosophy rides on the fact that you cannot buy the most powerful weapons in the game with gold (and what would those weapons even be? Anybody who's so opposed to this possibility even understand what "the most powerful weapon in the game" would look like? Anybody even know what Obsidian Armor or Destroyer Weapons are?).

It's possible to be supportive of the fact that the cash shop could sell anything that is also available in the game with gold because the most prestigious (not powerful) weapons and armor in the game will *never* be purchaseable with in-game gold. Nothing they have said about the cash shop has in any remote way reneged on that position.

He believes that buying gems and then selling them on the auction house means that the game is pay2win. I disagree with that, but he seems to be extremely emotional about it in general based on the sheer number of posts he has about the subject.

And theft/murder is part of every society, but that doesn't mean you legalize it...

The difference is theft/murder is illegal, but RMT is legal.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

instead of fixing the problems lets make it worse by making it easier for gold farmers to sell gold/items!!!!!

seems like the thought process that occured when deciding what to do with diablo 3's stat system. "hmm well in diablo 2 stats were unbalanced and almost everyone just stacked vitality, rather than fixing the system we will just delete it so we can get back to making sure RMT is ready for release"

d3 fanboys sure ate that one up as well. wont be buying that game for sure.

Originally posted by colddog04

He believes that buying gems and then selling them on the auction house means that the game is pay2win. I disagree with that, but he seems to be extremely emotional about it in general based on the sheer number of posts he has about the subject.

Yeah, what a crazy notion I am having that that would be pay2win LOL.  I mean, just because in most MMO's this is a bannable offense I have this crazy notion that it provides advantages to those who purchase it.  You got me.  I have to start thinking more clearly...

Yeah, what a crazy notion I am having that that would be pay2win LOL.  I mean, just because in most MMO's this is a bannable offense I have this crazy notion that it provides advantages to those who purchase it.  You got me.  I have to start thinking more clearly...

Right, here you can see how emotional he is about it. I'm not really sure why since all he has to do is not play the game. But this tends to be a pretty emotional site anyway.

The difference is theft/murder is illegal, but RMT is legal.

RMT is not legal in most other MMOs, and the ones that allow it it is almost universally considered pay2win.

Right, here you can see how emotional he is about it. I'm not really sure why since all he has to do is not play the game. But this tends to be a pretty emotional site anyway.

Yes, I am so emotional about it.  I aplogize for the stream of obsceneties and yelling I have been doing.  Oh yeah, I haven't been doing any of that.  Just educating those who continue to delude themselves about the pay2win cash shop in GW2.

Yes, I am so emotional about it.  I aplogize for the stream of obsceneties and yelling I have been doing.  Oh yeah, I haven't been doing any of that.  Just educating those who continue to delude themselves about the pay2win cash shop in GW2.

Yeah, now he says that everyone else is deluded but him. Pretty typical. Nothing to see here.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by sammyeli

You can only carry 10 supply, seige weapon blueprint only costs 10 silver, which you can make by the time you are level 3 and you can purchase more than 5 blue prints by the time you are level 8 if you are doing this solo and not with a guild.

You can purchage the most expensive blueprint which is 1 gold and some odd silver by the time you are level 13 or 14 if you are solo that is and not with a guild that is supporting you. 

Now for the rest of you please check posting history before you get trolled and lets gtfo out of this thread.

ive heard similar stuff like this before in pay2win game forums. "oh you can always farm in game blah blah etc etc"

ask yourself this

does RMT in anyway improve the game?

no it doesnt. 

developers spent your money to develop the RMT system that could have been used to make the game better.

the RMT system will only make it easier for gold farmers to function if it doesnt then gold farmer will fucntion underground like the normally do.

RMT system is a strong base for implementation of pay2win gameplay

RMT was a big lie, they said only cosmetic items. no in game advantage no matter how small

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

when i spend $60 on a game i want that money to spent on creating a fun game and possible creating another fun game in the near future. i dont want it being spent on pay2 win gold farmers paradise systems that will attempt to take more of my money to fund some child labour magnate's bentley in china.

I think many of us are taking Anet at thier word that the game will never be a gear grind and that end game gear isnt much more powerfull than say a level 70's gear. If its easy to obtain endgame gear ect then by definition it wont be P2W.

As to useing the gold farmers excuse it just doesnt work. If gold farmers where not in every single MMORPG even P2P then ok. But the fact that they are in P2P, B2P, and F2P games makes the gold farmer + cash shop argument illogical.

As to the "woo we can get away with this". Um look at blizzard. They charge $15 a month AND have a cash shop. Yes, its a cosmetic cash shop. But people let them get away with it all the same.

When I spend $60 on a game I look to see if I think it will be fun or not. If yes then I buy it. If no then I dont. If said game I bought has options to buy more (think of it as DLC) I decide if the game is worth buying that extra stuff.  If I'm shown one thing by a company and am given another then yea, I wasted my money but I also know not to spend money on thier games ever again. In another words if Anet lies and endgame really is about having better gear and that gear can only be obtained from the cash shop then i will never buy another Anet game again. But untill the game releases and we get to endgame none of us will know.

Yeah, now he says that everyone else is deluded but him. Pretty typical. Nothing to see here.

No, not "everyone else" by a long shot.  In fact I would say many many people now see the GW2 cash shop for what it really is.  Why do you think there are so many threads about it?

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

ive heard similar stuff like this before in pay2win game forums. "oh you can always farm in game blah blah etc etc"

ask yourself this

no it doesnt. 

developers spent your money to develop the RMT system that could have been used to make the game better.

the RMT system will only make it easier for gold farmers to function if it doesnt then gold farmer will fucntion underground like the normally do.

RMT was a big lie, they said only cosmetic items. no in game advantage no matter how small

Sorry I could not point out that by the time you are level 3 on your own you can get these items that are trivial to WvW and wasted your time. 

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

ask yourself this

no it doesnt. 

Gems allow any person to buy anything they want in the cash shop with in-game gold. Want more character slots? Buy some gems with gold. Want more bank slots? Buy some gems with gold. Want to change your character's look? Buy some gems with gold.

The biggest argument against the cash shop right now is that it is pay-to-win and so far nobody has proven that it is.

No, not "everyone else" by a long shot.  In fact I would say many many people now see the GW2 cash shop for what it really is.  Why do you think there are so many threads about it?

I dont know, maybe kids dont have access to their parent's credit card they used on Wow anymore?

ask yourself this

no it doesnt. 

RMT was NOT a lie. They had given NO information about how thier cash shop system would work. Though they did not tell the truth about cosmetic only, I have to give you that. Cosmetic only and RMT are two diffrent things though.

I love how you are making me sound like a fanboi when I am anything but.  We simply disagree about what is P2W. And I am taking the stance of "I'll see whats what when I get to endgame" rather than "This game is doomed even though no one knows for sure what its going to turn out to be."  If you turn out to be right, and it turns into P2W and/or selling gems turns out to be a huge advantage then I will simply stop playing. If it turns out Anet wants to keep thier reputation and the cash shop turns out to be no big deal then I will enjoy the game beyond just getting to 80.

Originally posted by romanator0

ask yourself this

no it doesnt. 

Gems allow any person to buy anything they want in the cash shop with in-game gold. Want more character slots? Buy some gems with gold. Want more bank slots? Buy some gems with gold. Want to change your character's look? Buy some gems with gold.

The biggest argument against the cash shop right now is that it is pay-to-win and so far nobody has proven that it is.

And this view was EXACTLY my point I made a few posts ago how RMT is now being used to pretty much justify anything.  Now if Anet added the "Uber sword of pwnage" into the cash shop many would say "Hey just buy some gems with gold that isn't pay2win"

I'm sorry it is so hard for you all to see how you are twisting everything to avoid the pay2win stamp on GW2.  By your definition, any game that has this cash->gems->gold->gems type mechanic can not EVER be pay2win no matter how egregious the items are or how much gold a gem is worth.  You have pretty much now removed the pay2win label off of 95% of those games that were once considered pay2win prior to GW2...

[Mod Edit]

This discussion has been closed.