Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting EQ for the first time

BuzzGamingBuzzGaming Member Posts: 8

Hello, I'm starting EQ for the very first time today. I heard much about EQ but never actually got around to playing it until now. 

I have a few questions about the game before I start playing, and I also value the opinions of others, so please tell me what you think about the game even if its not a question.

There's a lot of questions here so you don't have to answer every single one if you don't want too. 

1. Is this game unique in any way? If so what makes it different than other mmorpgs?

2. On a scale of 1 - 10 how much fun did you have with this game? (1 being dull and boring and 10 being extreamly fun) If you beleive the game is fun or boring please tell me the reasons you think this way. 

3. How's the player population? Does it have more or less players now than before? Is it a dead ghost town or a thriving population?

4. How is the community? In general, are the players nice and helpful or mean and stupid?

5. Would you consider this game a sandbox?

6. Is mostly everything operated by the players? Or is it a mean dictatorship? 

7. Is the game worth shelling out the money to play? 

8. Time is vaulable, are there any other mmorpgs that you beleive I should be spending my time playing instead of this game?

9. What are the pros and cons of this game?

10. Do noobie players supposed to start with the first EQ before they start with EQ2?

11. If you have anything else to add please do.

Thank you very much, I surely appreciate it. I understand if you don't want to answer all the questions, but if you just have something to add please do.

Comments

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I personally never played EQ2.  But you do not need to play EQ1 before EQ2.  Of course, if you did you would not be playing EQ2 because you would know that EQ1 is so much better. 

Knew many people who thought they would quit EQ1 to play EQ2, left for about 1-2weeks and all came back because they felt the game sucked compared to EQ.

EQ2 is more like the WoW games... which to me are fun for about 1 month and then they get boring.  

EQ1 just went free to play and I would recommend you try that if you are looking for a good game that is relatively easy to get in to.  At this point in time, the game is way easier than it use to be but you can still have a lot of fun.  You can also race to catch up with others or you could do progression through the expansions.

• BuzzGamingBuzzGaming Member Posts: 8

Ah thanks for the tip, I'll start downloading EQ1 after I see how I like EQ2 :).

Originally posted by BuzzGaming

Ah thanks for the tip, I'll start downloading EQ1 after I see how I like EQ2 :).

Have fun with it.  Never tried it, always thought about giving it a shot, but I always thought back to all my friends who temporarily quit EQ to play EQ2 and a couple of weeks and they were all back to EQ1. 

And I am not really the type for a game that forces questing to level.  I prefer the grind and farming/raiding for gear more enjoyable. 

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

imo its just plain to late to start playing EQ, sure you may have fun and all, but all the great things you may have heard about EQ, is just trickle down from its glory days 10 years ago.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• thremmathremma Member UncommonPosts: 16

I've only played EGII a little, so I don't know answers to all of these.  But I'll put what I do so far.

1. Is this game unique in any way? If so what makes it different than other mmorpgs?

Has amazing housing and crafting.  Lots of races and classes, with multiple starting areas; several other games I've tried recently only have one starting area.  

2. On a scale of 1 - 10 how much fun did you have with this game? (1 being dull and boring and 10 being extreamly fun) If you beleive the game is fun or boring please tell me the reasons you think this way. 

It's fun.  I've been doing Vanguard more recently, but EQII is also enjoyable.  I'm not sure what you look for in games, but there are a lot of things to do so if I get bored with killing things, I can make things or explore instead.

3. How's the player population? Does it have more or less players now than before? Is it a dead ghost town or a thriving population?

There seem to be a lot of players.  I tend to solo a lot by choice, so I don't know how it is for grouping if you want that.

4. How is the community? In general, are the players nice and helpful or mean and stupid?

Helpful when I've asked questions.  There's a lot of information on the internet, and seem to be a lot of active fans making sites and so on.

I've never been clear what a sandbox is.  There is a lot to do.

I don't know.  

7. Is the game worth shelling out the money to play? 

I have a station pass; so maybe?

8. Time is vaulable, are there any other mmorpgs that you beleive I should be spending my time playing instead of this game?

Vanguard is good.  I tend to bounce between games, so it's not so much 'instead of' for me as "yes, and'. It's in my collection of "what do I feel like playing today?"

Has a lot of things (housing, collecting, crafting), so not only killing things or fetching things.  

10. Do noobie players supposed to start with the first EQ before they start with EQ2?

No.  The games are independent of each other and play very differently.

11. If you have anything else to add please do.

Try it out; you can play it free for a while, then as microtransactions if you like it enough to spend money.  Or get a station pass and play it all if you really like it.   But you don't have to spend money to test it, so it's very low risk.

Originally posted by Sephiroso

imo its just plain to late to start playing EQ, sure you may have fun and all, but all the great things you may have heard about EQ, is just trickle down from its glory days 10 years ago.

Yeah, it was much better way back.  But I still believe it is much better than any other MMO that has come out in the past 10 years.

It is the only one I have played longer than 3-6 months.

I recently just started back to where I play reguarly again now doing progression through the expansions but not on a progression server. 

It is definitely not the same, but it is still very enjoyable. 

I hope they both turn out to be good games :). I also enjoy grinding instead of doing quests. I'll switch off questing than grinding once in a while but grinding never really bothered me as much as it bothers other players. That's actually a question I should of included haha. 

Originally posted by Sephiroso

I beleive that it's never too late to start playing. I love older games anyways :).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

if you play EQ1 -- try the Vox server, its a new server,  1 month old

forums for EQ1

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/category/41

if you play EQ2 -- recommend Freeport or Antonia Bayle for new players

Originally posted by Nadia

if you play EQ1 -- try the Vox server, its a new server,  1 month old

forums for EQ1

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/category/41

if you play EQ2 -- recommend Freeport or Antonia Bayle for new players

Oh cool I made my character in Freeport before I even knew :).

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Epic quests, REAL innovative raids, large dungeons that encourage exploration. EQ2 came out before WoW, yes there is a quest driven game but they do not exactly hold your hand through EVERYTHING.

The player housing is amazing, people have built unbeleivable things. The crafting, albeit much simpler then it was at launch, is still one of the BETTER crafting systems I have played. 

9. I have tried MANY other games, but I always come back to EQ2 for good reason. I enjoy the quest lines, the back story and exploring all the different content. After so many years i can still go out exploring and find something new i never seen before.

It is not a ghost town. The population has held up very well, but the new type of gamer that plays mmos now-a-days tends not to group up much. AB and Freeport being the popular servers.

The community is generally helpful. F2P had its bad moment, attracting the horrible "wow" community, but for the most part most of them have disappeared or quieted down. The bad elements are still out there, but not as rampant as in PVP games or "WoW/GW"

No. There is a LOT to do though. From making your own dungeons, creating your own house, decorating it, crafting (and all its professions). You can quest to level, you can grind, there is a lot of different classes and races. But in the end it is not a sandbox, just a themepark with a LOT of content and variety.

7. Is the game worth shelling out the money to play?  Yes

8. Time is vaulable, are there any other mmorpgs that you beleive I should be spending my time playing instead of this game?  If you are into more difficult gaming and love open worlds, Vanguard is a nice alternative, it is more like EQ1 than EQ2 is.

Pros: LOTS of variety, lots of content, lots to keep anyone busy. And despite what peopel complain about one can enjoy the game for free without a problem or any major setbacks.  

Cons: So much content that at first the unexperienced MMO gamer might be overwhelmed. The graphics have held up well over the years but are not state of the art. Game wasn't fully optimized for multicore, but runs well on my i7 with max settings in non-raid conditions.

10. Do noobie players supposed to start with the first EQ before they start with EQ2? No

11. If you have anything else to add please do. Try it out for yourself, its free and you have nothing to lose other than a little time.

As someone who has played eq2 since the beginning, and has tried almost every MMO out there, I figure I will help you out a bit and answer some of these questions.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

I hope they both turn out to be good games :). I also enjoy grinding instead of doing quests. I'll switch off questing than grinding once in a while but grinding never really bothered me as much as it bothers other players. That's actually a question I should of included haha. 

If you like grinding to level, you'd love EQ. Despite the EverQUEST name, it is not a quest-centric game. There are more quests than there used to be, and the "Golden Path" they launched when EQ went FTP apparently has a ton. You can play EQ and EQ2 free with limitations, and Vanguard's Isle of Dawn tutorial/trial is also free (going FTP later this year). There is an enhanced free play called Silver, bought with a flat fee, with somewhat lesser restrictions. A subscription (called Gold status) to any of these is $14.99 a month, with discounts for 3, 6 and 12 month subscription periods. There are a couple alternatives. You can buy a subscription with Station Cash; mostly this costs the same as a regular subscription, but there are periodically Double (even Triple) Station Cash weekends (like this past one) when you can redeem a SC card for double face-value. There is also the All-Access Pass, which used to be called Station Pass. Until a year ago, it cost twice a regular subscription but now is $19.99 a month. With that you are Gold on ALL of SOE's online games.