Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fanboyism is actually making me dislike the game

Comments

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by bishbosh

people staunchly defending everything about gw2 is reminding me of all those other fail mmorpgs out there. they all had the same fanboy crowd licking up any crap thrown at them and BAM the game tanks. 

i was intent on prerodering 10th april and now i dont even know if i want to buy the game. i dont want to play a game full of people that will take any crap from the devs/publisher because i know in the long run the game will suck because criticisms will be drowned out with " WOW had the same problems on release", " you havent even played to max level", "go back to WOW" etc etc. 

i dont know if im the only one that gets turned off game by fanboyism, there are probably more people out there so i think its best to take that into consideration and be a bit more welcoming and less aggresive/vile when someone criticises gw2 or questions its "greatness". i would like to see gw2 do well (more compeition=better games for us) but games wont do well if developers cannot hear the players complaints.

I agree, the fans of this game have turned me off of it.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Originally posted by Eir_S

If people could actually put up a good argument, no one would have to defend the game.  But I guess you don't have a problem with all the whiners and trolls.  Too bad for you, don't play the game if you're that one-sided.

im not sure why you think the game needs to be defended? i think this is the essense of the problem. its a video game, its doesnt need to defended! 

i think lots of the cash shop complaints are valid. the cash shop was initially only cosmetic now they offer levelling, gear etc and with the gem trade you can buy gold/anything.

why do you fanboys feel the need to supress these complaints? what do they gain from it. worst comes to worse, arena net will remove the gem trade, keys to chests etc etc and GUESS WHO WINS-->YOU THE CONSUMER

so what if the key/chest thing is not confirmed and it was just a leak. we should let the devs know we dont want it. if we assume it isnt confirmed they might actually implement (one thing i have learned is always expect the worst from mmorpgs) while if we complaing they wont implement it if they were going to.

That is exactly Eir's point on fans coming to defend the game. Cash shop doesn't sell gear, and it doesn't sell leveling. There's scrolls that boost your exp for an hour, which were a part of GW1 as well and, similarly to GW1, can be bought in-game. You, like all the others that keep getting shouted down, are spreading false info.

It's not about defending the game, it's about people that hear something one person on the internetz said and instantly assume it accurate without checking on the facts themselves. Google "GW2 cash shop leak" to find the thread that shows exactly what was in it for beta testing. There's no gear anywhere in there. Costumes, yes...gear, no.

I figure this is the whole reason he made the thread.

OP is missleading because the he doesn't relate to stuff needing to be fixed or improved, only related to the already false cash shop threads.

And donating body part false cash shop threads.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Well if you hate the forums, then dont read them

I really doubt the outcome of this game will matter much on what is said in the forums. Espcially on mmorpg.com

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

If people could actually put up a good argument, no one would have to defend the game.  But I guess you don't have a problem with all the whiners and trolls.  Too bad for you, don't play the game if you're that one-sided.

im not sure why you think the game needs to be defended? i think this is the essense of the problem. its a video game, its doesnt need to defended! 

i think lots of the cash shop complaints are valid. the cash shop was initially only cosmetic now they offer levelling, gear etc and with the gem trade you can buy gold/anything.

why do you fanboys feel the need to supress these complaints? what do they gain from it. worst comes to worse, arena net will remove the gem trade, keys to chests etc etc and GUESS WHO WINS-->YOU THE CONSUMER

so what if the key/chest thing is not confirmed and it was just a leak. we should let the devs know we dont want it. if we assume it isnt confirmed they might actually implement (one thing i have learned is always expect the worst from mmorpgs) while if we complaing they wont implement it if they were going to.

Eh.  I think a lot of people, including myself, think that the development team has gone a long way in making an entertaining experience, and having read about them or met them at shows, actually appreciate the effort that's going into the product.  I love the ANet devs, regardless of what happens on the marketing end of things, and as such am inclined to step in and defend their game.  Not everyone will do so.  

In regards to the cash shop, some complaints were simply the product of ignorance, and some of the staunchest anit-CS people around here have had to reword their arguments on finding out that everything in the CS will be available through in-game time spent.  Most of them look a bit desperate to me, and are practically two posts short of asking for the game for free.

The rest were hit or miss, mostly miss, including WvW lag (not proven to be a problem - and "it's in beta" is actually a proper response since the game is not optimized which can lead to latency issues), the outcry over the removal of sidekicking up - which wasn't even talked about until ANet said they were leaving it out.  

Let's see, arguments over the trinity or combat or how GW2 doesn't do anything new at all...  combat is "generic WoW crap",  world is separated into zones and not seamless so it sucks, the list goes on, the whining goes on, and most of the complaints are either based on false or NO information or outright subjective ranting.

If you don't like to see people respond to these things, debunking them, I'd recommend not visiting the forums.  It's a two-way street.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

people staunchly defending everything about gw2 is reminding me of all those other fail mmorpgs out there. they all had the same fanboy crowd licking up any crap thrown at them and BAM the game tanks. 

i was intent on prerodering 10th april and now i dont even know if i want to buy the game. i dont want to play a game full of people that will take any crap from the devs/publisher because i know in the long run the game will suck because criticisms will be drowned out with " WOW had the same problems on release", " you havent even played to max level", "go back to WOW" etc etc. 

i dont know if im the only one that gets turned off game by fanboyism, there are probably more people out there so i think its best to take that into consideration and be a bit more welcoming and less aggresive/vile when someone criticises gw2 or questions its "greatness". i would like to see gw2 do well (more compeition=better games for us) but games wont do well if developers cannot hear the players complaints.

I am with you on this. I am 100% turned off by the game and will not buy it. Not only because of the fanboi's here, but because I still can't get past how bad GW1 was for me. I too hope the game does well, but it won't get my dime to help make it happen.

That is exactly Eir's point on fans coming to defend the game. Cash shop doesn't sell gear, and it doesn't sell leveling. 

Yep, that was my point.  I know how forums work.  If someone spreads false information, it'll soon be seen as gospel and then every troll in the place will be tearing around leaving its stink on everything it touches.  If people would STOP spreading BS, maybe no one would feel the need to correct them...

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

That is exactly Eir's point on fans coming to defend the game. Cash shop doesn't sell gear, and it doesn't sell leveling. There's scrolls that boost your exp for an hour, which were a part of GW1 as well and, similarly to GW1, can be bought in-game. You, like all the others that keep getting shouted down, are spreading false info.

It's not about defending the game, it's about people that hear something one person on the internetz said and instantly assume it accurate without checking on the facts themselves. Google "GW2 cash shop leak" to find the thread that shows exactly what was in it for beta testing. There's no gear anywhere in there. Costumes, yes...gear, no.

selling exp scrolls is selling levelling imo. they intially said they would only sell cosmetic items and exp scrolls are not cosmetic.

even if there is a complaint based on unfounded evidence about something regarding pay2win cash shop. what is the harm in complaining? at least the devs will know that they should never implement such a system even though they never even had it planned.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Originally posted by Entropy14

Well if you hate the forums, then dont read them

If you are serious about enjoying playing any MMO then really you should avoid any forums relating to said game for at least one month after it's release.

Another helpful hint is to turn off any in-game general chat as well.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

it doesnt matter..cos sooner or later you all will also play GW2

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Do you often let other people form your opinions?

no i just explained in my post. other peoples opinions dont matter to me. its just that its impossible for a game to improve/get fixed if fanboys keep drowning out criticisms. i dont want to play a game that is doomed due to its playerbase. also i dont like such people, i dont want to play with them because they are stupid.

When I read that last line I pictured an 8 year old throwing a tantrum when his mom told him to go outside and play.  ha ha ha

That is exactly Eir's point on fans coming to defend the game. Cash shop doesn't sell gear, and it doesn't sell leveling. 

Yep, that was my point.  I know how forums work.  If someone spreads false information, it'll soon be seen as gospel and then every troll in the place will be tearing around leaving its stink on everything it touches.  If people would STOP spreading BS, maybe no one would feel the need to correct them...

arena net blatantly lied about cosmetic items only in the cash shop. they added a whole RMT system + exp scrolls. who knows what else they will be adding to the cash shop.

how is that BS? this is a completely valid complaing.

note: before you respond consider that i am complaining about the fact they lied not whether RMT + exp scrolls is "not that big of a deal"

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by RizelStar

You, like all the others that keep getting shouted down, are spreading false info.

I figure this is the whole reason he made the thread.

OP is missleading because the he doesn't relate to stuff needing to be fixed or improved, only related to the already false cash shop threads.

And donating body part false cash shop threads.

Unfortunately, yes, this is a big problem.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said, before the people who claim to be 'raising legitimate concerns' for this game understand this.

There are already threads talking about concerns for this game. Yes, it's true.

Most fans of this game don't expect the game to be perfect, they just don't think it's the steaming pile of dung a very vocal minority seems to be claiming.

However, when you start spreading false information about a game as a sticking point as to why it's bad, you can bet your ass people will correct it.

It's not much different from when Presidents run for election. The opponent generally runs some kind of smear campaign to make the other one look bad. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, only that people believe it's true. Enough people buy into it and you get free word of mouth spreading it on. (not saying that this is some conspiracy), but the effect is somewhat the same. here we have a very small group of people spewing whatever crap they can and seeing what sticks. It doesn't make it true, but people still take it as truth, because they don't want to do the research.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

arena net blatantly lied about cosmetic items only in the cash shop. they added a whole RMT system + exp scrolls. who knows what else they will be adding to the cash shop.

note: before you respond consider that i am complaining about the fact they lied not whether RMT + exp scrolls is "not that big of a deal"

Look at the game mechanics for Christ sake. Please that just do that and help yourself understand why they chose the design choice, now once you do that and stil after having your head in sand, go look at the leaked already changing cash shop stuff.

I do wish they sold IQ's as well.

Look I'm sorry for being rude but I have a feeling that you already read what people said to others spreading false ish, but you instead just [want] a reason to be dissappointed or to feel like you've been scammed.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

OP.  You say that "it's in beta" isn't a valid complaint, then neither is yours, because like 100% of every detractor of the CS, you don't know what's going to be in the final product and are basing everything (including your misinformation about leveling and gear in the CS) on an unfinished product.  That's why they're even bothering to present it to the beta teams.. so it works, and hopefully please the majority of people.  Maybe you don't like some of the fans who've defended the game, but I think it's something else entirely to piss on ANet's work before you give them a chance or even know what they're doing.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by zytin

I call BS.  This person was either (a) never going to buy GW2 and is just trolling or (b)  is going to buy GW2 anyway and is just trolling.

I mean...Seriously?  "I was going to preorder, but now I'm not going to because too many people are acting like fanbois..." is the same thing as when liberals call Rush Limbaugh's show claiming they are conservative "but....".  

TROOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

(the '1' was intentional). 

Closet Rush Limbaugh fan?   *shivers*

It's posts like OP's that make it hard to get a good discussion, as it is obviously negative without being constructive. Just like when the diehard fans can't concede that maybe a realistic post that has a critisism of the game might have a point, and they can't see any fault with GW2. But they are both ends of the extreme. Most players are going to be regular mmoers that have realistic expectations of the game and play to have fun (which most won't even participate in forums). So I wouldn't judge the games community on the relatively few that defend to the death a game on forums.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Yes its not an entirely non valid issue. 

However one mmo I really love is Pirates of the Burning Sea.  To unlock the entire game you have to pay for a sub of 15 bucks just once, then you can cancel the sub immediately and the entire game is unlocked of all restrictions forever.  The restrictions weren't much in the first place but they are there, so I sort of consider it a $15 B2P game. 

It has a cash shop.  They sell EXACTLY the same kind of things in it.   There's a lot of cosmetic stuff in there too.  There's even a couple of ships I think which is kind of Pay to Win for sure.  But its not overdone really. 

The result?  Ive never noticed.  Not once.  Not a single time.  Ive played the game, loved it, enjoyed it, and payed almost no attention to its cash shop as Ive never needed too.  Ive leveled, quested, and sunk ships like nobodys business and had absolutely no problem.  Its never bothered me, and never hindered by play experience even one bit. 

So dont expect me to care all that much about the same thing being in GW2.  Im used to it.  And I dont care as it never affected me enjoying Pirates.  If it did, that would be different.  So this is just fine as far as Im concerned.  Doesnt even irk me a bit. 

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Look at the game mechanics for Christ sake. Please that just do that and help yourself understand why they chose the design choice, now once you do that and stil after having your head in sand, go look at the leaked already changing cash shop stuff.

Here is one view of the game mechanic changes:

1) Repair costs reintroduced for a gold sink, and hey you can buy gems in cash shop to trade for gold

2) Mystic chests are found in game and hey you can buy mystic keys from cash shop

3) Sidekicking up is no longer supported but hey you can buy EXP boosters in cash shop

4) Being a squad commander costs "a lot of gold" but hey you can buy gems in cash shop to trade for gold

5) Influence gives boosts in RvRvR but hey you can buy gems in cash shop to trade for gold to buy influence

Like Anet admitted, "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

This is misinformation.

The original info on micro-transactions was

"Yes, micro-transactions will exist. These will be cosmetic additions which will not affect balance or gameplay, similar to the transactions offered by Guild Wars."

Which was changed to

"Yes, micro-transactions will exist. Be assured goods and items bought for cash in GW2 do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of time."

Never was it stated that ONLY cosmetic items would be sold in the cash shop.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

So this thread has turned into another cash shop thread? Good grief

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

He's actually correct, it's only hurting us, the gamers. It's not just GW, it's every high-profile game that gets released. Some people just lose their minds over games and will defend ANYTHING about the game, good, bad or horrible.

I'm not sure I've seen such delusion in any other area of life either, it's borderline insanity.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

In regards to the cash shop, some complaints were simply the product of ignorance, and some of the staunchest anit-CS people around here have had to reword their arguments on finding out that everything in the CS will be available through in-game time spent.  Most of them look a bit desperate to me, and are practically two posts short of asking for the game for free.

The rest were hit or miss, mostly miss, including WvW lag (not proven to be a problem - and "it's in beta" is actually a proper response since the game is not optimized which can lead to latency issues), the outcry over the removal of sidekicking up - which wasn't even talked about until ANet said they were leaving it out.  

Let's see, arguments over the trinity or combat or how GW2 doesn't do anything new at all...  combat is "generic WoW crap",  world is separated into zones and not seamless so it sucks, the list goes on, the whining goes on, and most of the complaints are either based on false or NO information or outright subjective ranting.

If you don't like to see people respond to these things, debunking them, I'd recommend not visiting the forums.  It's a two-way street.

if someone feels lag during WvW they are feeling lag during WvW. you cant debunk that. this is a valid complaint. game is not optimised which can lead to latency issues? well then go and optimise your game arena net. you just agreed that there is a problem with the game and you still feel the need to defend it. cant you see how ridiculous this is?

in gw2 the world is seperated and not seamless- this has been proven. seamless open world > zones.  again another valid complaint.

the CS complaints are valid. arenanet added RMT to the game-- intially they said it would only be cosmetic items. RMT allows people to attain in game gold which is required to purchase siege weapons. there is no subjectivity in the fact that arena net blatantly lied.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

I wont play with these fanboys either.  Makes for a sucky community

Yes I know you wont miss me.  Yes I dont care either.  Thanks

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Sorry to hear...I guess you will be playing the game that no one else likes.   What kind of community would you expect from that?

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Here is one view of the game mechanic changes:

1) Repair costs reintroduced for a gold sink, and hey you can buy gems in cash shop to trade for gold

2) Mystic chests are found in game and hey you can buy mystic keys from cash shop

3) Sidekicking up is no longer supported but hey you can buy EXP boosters in cash shop

4) Being a squad commander costs "a lot of gold" but hey you can buy gems in cash shop to trade for gold

5) Influence gives boosts in RvRvR but hey you can buy gems in cash shop to trade for gold to buy influence

Like Anet admitted, "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"

1) Repair costs are cheap and completely avoidable.

2) Mystic keys are found in game.

3) Leveling is fast as it is. Structured PvP autolevels to 80. WvW sidekicks people to 80 to make a more level playing field.

4) Squad commander is only for those who want it and imparts no benefits. Anyone who buys it but sucks or just wants to be seen as a commander is going to end up wasting money.

5) You've yet to prove purchasing gems gives any advantage in WvW.

Funny how you quote ArenaNet saying the game is built with microtransactions in mind and yet they completely optional and provide no advantages.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by DJJazzy

So this thread has turned into another cash shop thread? Good grief

I thought this was a requirement in GW2 threads

This discussion has been closed.