Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else bothered by the lack of... theme?

Comments

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Rift 2+ million subs?

Rofl they never sold 1m boxes and already merged 3/4 of all the servers.

Trion would be lucky to have 200k subs right now.

SWTOR 3m.... yeah they sold 2 M boxes and now about 90% of the servers are dead.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by spaceport

Rift 2+ million subs?
    Rofl they never sold 1m boxes and already merged 3/4 of all the servers.
    Trion would be lucky to have 200k subs right now.
    SWTOR 3m.... yeah they sold 2 M boxes and now about 90% of the servers are dead.

Rift had 600k at peak and now has 250k.
    SWTOR will be lucky to have 1m and the 3month subs are about to run out
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

Originally posted by Dewm

my problem is NOT with the technology, my problem is with them mixing all of this stuff togeather. Like burmuda shorts, and mustache glasses.

and this sounds like a personal problem!!!!! the best thing about this game is that it really doesn't have any restrictions and the amount of freedom it does give players is just amazing. So what if you have an issue with players running into batte wearing bermuda shorts and rocking a single boot they got from fishing :p

lets talk about mixing stuff together....how does the fact that in this day and age we have ppl that live in mudhuts and cardboard boxes fit in todays world? what about ppl that drive vs. bicyclist? deployed military that wear body armor and carry loaded weapons vs. a business manwearing a suit and equipped with a briefcase and pens? tribal people vs. city folks vs. country folks?

the list goes on and on....

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by synn

my problem is NOT with the technology, my problem is with them mixing all of this stuff togeather. Like burmuda shorts, and mustache glasses.

and this sounds like a personal problem!!!!!

I would like you to take a second, muster every last brain cell in your head... And tell me the point of a forum. 

I'll just sit here quite.. and you tell me the point of a forum.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Epicent

So first off, I do know asain MMO's, after playing FFXI for 4 years, i'm deffinitly no noob to them. So I do understand that they do things a little diffrent.

Second, I do like the fact that this is semi-sandbox, I like options, and I do realize options are often abused and that is part of the big gulp that is a sandbox.

AND last but not least, I am a huge fan of Archeage and plan on buying it the second I possibly can..

BUT

....having said all of that. I don't really care for the fact that there is no realy uniform way of doing things in Archage. For instance, they are still using dark-aged catapults for seiges, but they have underwanter diving helmets that are clearley from the 1950's..  To me it just kinda throws off the whole world/feel.

And like the whole "tractor" planting thing.. its like, we use steam powered tractors for planting...but we still fight with swords?

Now stuff like gliders i'm not as bothered by, because I do realise this is a high-fantasy world and generaly speaking stuff like that is accepted, because they did have stuff like this, back in those time periods (or at least were discussing ideas like winged flying machines)

Anyways, just my opinion, and its not like this thread will change anything. But I was curous about other peoples opinions...

I didnt even read past the first sentence. Final Fantasy 11 was made in Japan.

... Japan is part of asia. 

AND japan is only a mer 500 miles from Korea (where the game is made)

That would be about a 2 day drive.. 

and yet, Japan is NOT a part of Korea so I guess all you guys acting like it is trying to be smarter than you are and PRETENDING I must not know geography from pointing it out can kindly go and play with yourselves :)

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

I don't mind really. Some MMOs have historically accurate settings but most don't. This is fantasy we're talking about here so by definition, historical accuracy doesn't matter.

That being said, the scaphandre, the first autonomous diving suit, was invented in 1864, at the height of steam engine technology. 

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

I really hope the crafting is well done and not just an afterthought..

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

The way I see it, this game tries to be fun whenever and wherever it can be fun.

It does not take itself too seriously, but it has elements to be taken seriously. It has something for everyone. For hardcore PvPers, for explorers, maybe even for hardcore PvErs... but also a lot of things for just "goofing off".

In that regard (goofing off), there is:

- dancing while killing monsters (you can do a WHOLE game in dance mode, I bet there will be some who will play like that)

- disco lights and maybe even dedicated places for disco dancing

- bermuda shorts

- moustache glasses

... I'm sure there is more.

If those elements are bothering you so much, I guess you should stop following this game.

I played sooo much of Star Wars Galaxies back then when it was awesome game, and I didn't even like Star Wars. I don't have to like the "setting" of the game, or somehow be "immersed" in it TO HAVE FUN. Maybe I'm just different, but I don't think so ;)

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

my problem is NOT with the technology, my problem is with them mixing all of this stuff togeather. Like burmuda

I would like you to take a second, muster every last brain cell in your head... And tell me the point of a forum. 

I'll just sit here quite.. and you tell me the point of a forum.

I guess I have this to say, show me a game/movie/book, that tasfully blends:

Chainmale

sails that have yellow smiley faces on them

1900's dive helmet

giant bunny rabbits

burmuda shorts

magic powered tractors

and mustache glasses.

So you wouldn't find it hard to accept Frodo having a steam powered zepplin to take to moridor?

And this is exactly what I was saying. And have been saying. I have no problem with something that lets you breath underwater. whether it be a spell or a helmet of some sort.

But just as Tolken did, you have to make it blend. you have to create that sence of reality.

And that is what I was questioning in AA.

And some things just can't be blended, I don't think Tolken could have taken a modern black hawk chopper, and blended it with the current story of Lord of the Rings, BUT he probably could have blended zepplins in. and done it tastfully.

And same with AA, I have no problem if someone has a helmet that lets them breath underwater, BUT I do have a problem with chainmale that is normally in a time period around 1200 a.d. and a dive helmet that is from almost 700 years in the future. In my opinion you just can't make those blend tastfuly.

okay i c&p a few of your posts(not all) on this topic.

first off I'd like to say the point of a forum is to have a discussion whether good or bad. However, my only issue with this topic in general is how it bothers you that the things in game aren't following any specific theme from your stand point. Can you show me what lore AA is following? or maybe a book or movie this game is being based on? From my understanding this game is a fantasy sandbox type of game that is trying to give as much player freedom as possible and also implementing different stuff into it so players can make their own "theme".

So first off, I do know asain MMO's, after playing FFXI for 4 years, i'm deffinitly no noob to them. So I do understand that they do things a little diffrent.

Second, I do like the fact that this is semi-sandbox, I like options, and I do realize options are often abused and that is part of the big gulp that is a sandbox.

AND last but not least, I am a huge fan of Archeage and plan on buying it the second I possibly can..

BUT

....having said all of that. I don't really care for the fact that there is no realy uniform way of doing things in Archage. For instance, they are still using dark-aged catapults for seiges, but they have underwanter diving helmets that are clearley from the 1950's..  To me it just kinda throws off the whole world/feel.

And like the whole "tractor" planting thing.. its like, we use steam powered tractors for planting...but we still fight with swords?

Now stuff like gliders i'm not as bothered by, because I do realise this is a high-fantasy world and generaly speaking stuff like that is accepted, because they did have stuff like this, back in those time periods (or at least were discussing ideas like winged flying machines)

Anyways, just my opinion, and its not like this thread will change anything. But I was curous about other peoples opinions...

I didnt even read past the first sentence. Final Fantasy 11 was made in Japan.

... Japan is part of asia. 

AND japan is only a mer 500 miles from Korea (where the game is made)

That would be about a 2 day drive.. 

and yet, Japan is NOT a part of Korea so I guess all you guys acting like it is trying to be smarter than you are and PRETENDING I must not know geography from pointing it out can kindly go and play with yourselves :)

...Who said it was part of Korea?

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

Originally posted by wizyy

The way I see it, this game tries to be fun whenever and wherever it can be fun.

It does not take itself too seriously, but it has elements to be taken seriously. It has something for everyone. For hardcore PvPers, for explorers, maybe even for hardcore PvErs... but also a lot of things for just "goofing off".

In that regard (goofing off), there is:

- dancing while killing monsters (you can do a WHOLE game in dance mode, I bet there will be some who will play like that)

- disco lights and maybe even dedicated places for disco dancing

- bermuda shorts

- moustache glasses

... I'm sure there is more.

If those elements are bothering you so much, I guess you should stop following this game.

I played sooo much of Star Wars Galaxies back then when it was awesome game, and I didn't even like Star Wars. I don't have to like the "setting" of the game, or somehow be "immersed" in it TO HAVE FUN. Maybe I'm just different, but I don't think so ;)

It bothers me.. but it deffinetly doesn't bother me "that much" Hence the reason I am still looking forward to the game. I just wish stuff like moustache glasses wern't in there.

And like I said in my OP, I just wanted this to be a friendly discussion. And there are tons of things (like player housing) that I love about this game.. SO the good deff. out-weighs the bad. IMO

my problem is NOT with the technology, my problem is with them mixing all of this stuff togeather. Like burmuda

<snip>

okay i c&p a few of your posts(not all) on this topic.

first off I'd like to say the point of a forum is to have a discussion whether good or bad. However, my only issue with this topic in general is how it bothers you that the things in game aren't following any specific theme from your stand point. Can you show me what lore AA is following? or maybe a book or movie this game is being based on? From my understanding this game is a fantasy sandbox type of game that is trying to give as much player freedom as possible and also implementing different stuff into it so players can make their own "theme".

No I couldn't tell you what lore AA is following. I dont' know :S

I guess I just don't care for things in games that don't seem to fit, (WoW celebrating Christmas for example. It is supposed to be this "world in another universe.." but yet they celebrate a human/earth holiday?) Stuff like that, I've never cared for it in video games.

And I just see more of that in AA, (like bermuda shorts, and sails with smiley faces on them)

And like I've said before, I am still planning on buying the game.. I just wish they hadn't gone this route.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

'Lack of theme'?? Are you kidding?  AA is one of the first mmorpgs to have a realistic theme, and do it well.  Finally a game isn't going to follow a cartoon, anime, or fantasy theme!!  AA looks beautiful, and a large part of that is because of how realistic it looks.  It looks medieval and that's it!  Why can't more mmos do this.  I cannot wait to build a ship and start sailing in this game.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

ArcheAge comes from Jake song, and he pursues his vision of an Online world, like he did with Lineage and partially helping Lin][age on it's way.

In short, Jake Song builds Online Worlds, not sandboxes and definately not "Themeparks" as in WoW / Lotro / Aion / swtor /clonearmy.

For his understanding even Online Worlds need rules and some things work for him and some don't. And he specifically stated he focuses on the Korean Market. You will not get a penalty free FFA PVP in Archeage ever. Archeage will never focus on PVP or PVE Dungeon crawling. If he likes it - and his target audience, it does get added but expect anything which will contradict your "core" gameplay: Example - even if when we get Raid instances, don't expect to get a tier item stack or the best loot from there.

Theme:

Archeage does not want to be a true Western medieval / or Chinese Wuxia game. Korean like Sunglasses on their avatars, so expect Sunglasses. Korean like underage looking woman, expect to have them.

Gameplay:

Archeage steps into the footprints of Lineage. It offers a World which may have some themepark features or some sandbox. Archeage does not try to be Sandpark, because when deciding to add features Jake song neither weights the needs of what goes in mmorpg forums as "sandbox" or "themepark".

Renember: Jake Song does not asks anyone outside of Korea to play his game, you ask XLGames.

I expect a lot of disappointed people, especially the sandbox PVP types.

So if you don't like eastern overthetop weapon sizes in a game, archeage even has some decent ones, but don't expect it to exclude them suddently. If you can't live with the though of ever seeing one, well Archeage is not for you :)

But unlike the competitors Archeage features a lot of sub Themes, you can get all your ancient china kinks as much as pure medieval Sailing if you choose and can overlook the purple suit wearing steampunk Airship next to you.

Archeage Theme: Jake Song Korean Style.

Originally posted by skydiver12

ArcheAge comes from Jake song, and he pursues his vision of an Online world, like he did with Lineage and partially helping Lin][age on it's way.
    In short, Jake Song builds Online Worlds, not sandboxes and definately not "Themeparks" as in WoW / Lotro / Aion / swtor /clonearmy.

For his understanding even Online Worlds need rules and some things work for him and some don't. And he specifically stated he focuses on the Korean Market. You will not get a penalty free FFA PVP in Archeage ever. Archeage will never focus on PVP or PVE Dungeon crawling. If he likes it - and his target audience, it does get added but expect anything which will contradict your "core" gameplay: Example - even if when we get Raid instances, don't expect to get a tier item stack or the best loot from there.
    Theme:
    Archeage does not want to be a true Western medieval / or Chinese Wuxia game. Korean like Sunglasses on their avatars, so expect Sunglasses. Korean like underage looking woman, expect to have them.

Gameplay:
    Archeage steps into the footprints of Lineage. It offers a World which may have some themepark features or some sandbox. Archeage does not try to be Sandpark, because when deciding to add features Jake song neither weights the needs of what goes in mmorpg forums as "sandbox" or "themepark".Renember: Jake Song does not asks anyone outside of Korea to play his game, you ask XLGames.
    I expect a lot of disappointed people, especially the sandbox PVP types.
    So if you don't like eastern overthetop weapon sizes in a game, archeage even has some decent ones, but don't expect it to exclude them suddently. If you can't live with the though of ever seeing one, well Archeage is not for you :)Archeage Theme: Jake Song Korean Style.

And yet he has gone on record to state Archeage has been created with the western market in mind.
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

'Lack of theme'?? Are you kidding?  AA is one of the first mmorpgs to have a realistic theme, and do it well.  Finally a game isn't going to follow a cartoon, anime, or fantasy theme!!  AA looks beautiful, and a large part of that is because of how realistic it looks.  It looks medieval and that's it!  Why can't more mmos do this.  I cannot wait to build a ship and start sailing in this game.

It does also have Bermuda shorts and other modern anomalies such as sunglasses, however beautiful the game looks we cannot pretend it is something other than what it is.
  • FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Theme:

I really find it amazing that so many westerners (particularly Americans) find any adult woman who's not a D-cup "underage looking". As if breast size is the only physical indication of femenine maturity.

I blame Baywatch.

• HeracliusHeraclius Member Posts: 71

Let's put it this way:

Do you like underwater exploration?

If yes, you have to implement the diving helmet.

Do you like farming?

If yes, you have to implement the tractor.

Do you like sieges?

If yes, you have to implement siege weapons.

The list goes on and on, I don't care one bit about if it fits with the game background timeline, it's a fantasy game anyhow.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Theme:

I really find it amazing that so many westerners (particularly Americans) find any adult woman who's not a D-cup "underage looking".

I blame Baywatch.

I was going to make a remark about this but... I think instead I will just ignore it and move on. Don't worry I will not judge your race, religion, nationality, etc.  based on a post derived from one persons stupidity. 

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Heraclius

Let's put it this way:

If yes, you have to implement the diving helmet.

Do you like farming?

Do you like sieges?

The list goes on and on, I don't care one bit about if it fits with the game background timeline, it's a fantasy game anyhow.

People farmed long before the invention of the tractor. Thats what hoes were for...dont laugh!

Originally posted by RefMinor
    And yet he has gone on record to state Archeage has been created with the western market in mind.

True, he said it here:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/feature/5367
    MMORPG.COM: How do you think the game will translate to Western audiences?

Jake song: We started developing ArcheAge considering global service in the first place. We want to let the players feel the true beauty MMORPG by forming a society like real life by networking with other players. The motto of ArcheAge is 'A world made of your own free will'. I think such facts of ArcheAge are what Western game players would also want and enjoy.

http://archeage-online.com/post/1718109268

"Is localization mostly an issue of translating the text and UI, or will actual game mechanics change as well?"

Jake Song: ArcheAge is still under development, and the publisher for the Western market is not decided for now, so maybe it is a bit early to answer the question. But I do understand the importance of localization. We have to figure out data such as each country’s features, its IT environment and so on, as well as find out the best way to service ArcheAge.

But above all that, we should finish development and find a publisher who will partner with us to introduce [and distribute] ArcheAge to Western players.

For my reading comprehension and understanding ever since they started recruiting openly since 2010: He never talks about game mechanics. What i initially wrote is not contradicting anything. When asking about "Western" he means translations and publishing and not creating or altering core mechanics like FFA PVP SYSTEMS. XLGAMES Finishes the game for KOREANS and wants to publish it in EU and NA.

He may as well just meant they got multiple checkboxes for dialoges to flag for languages right now, even though they just use the korean ones. "In Mind for the Western market"

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Theme:

I really find it amazing that so many westerners (particularly Americans) find any adult woman who's not a D-cup "underage looking".

I blame Baywatch.

I was going to make a remark about this but... I think instead I will just ignore it and move on. Don't worry I will not judge your race, religion, nationality, etc.  based on a post derived from one persons stupidity. 

Because you are the stupid one with the other guy?, And a sexist on top. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puberty#Differences_between_male_and_female_puberty

There is more than Boobs which define a Woman. Be it small or big boob size.  You may try to spin it, but  i stand to it, if you want you can have an underage looking Female in Archeage as well as an elderly but not old Woman, mature would be the spot - no matter the cup size.

Originally posted by RefMinor

True, he said it here:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/feature/5367
    MMORPG.COM: How do you think the game will translate to Western audiences?

Jake song: We started developing ArcheAge considering global service in the first place. We want to let the players feel the true beauty MMORPG by forming a society like real life by networking with other players. The motto of ArcheAge is 'A world made of your own free will'. I think such facts of ArcheAge are what Western game players would also want and enjoy.

http://archeage-online.com/post/1718109268

"Is localization mostly an issue of translating the text and UI, or will actual game mechanics change as well?"

Jake Song: ArcheAge is still under development, and the publisher for the Western market is not decided for now, so maybe it is a bit early to answer the question. But I do understand the importance of localization. We have to figure out data such as each country’s features, its IT environment and so on, as well as find out the best way to service ArcheAge.

But above all that, we should finish development and find a publisher who will partner with us to introduce [and distribute] ArcheAge to Western players.

For my reading comprehension and understanding ever since they started recruiting openly since 2010: He never talks about game mechanics. What i initially wrote is not contradicting anything. When asking about "Western" he means translations and publishing and not creating or altering core mechanics like FFA PVP SYSTEMS. XLGAMES Finishes the game for KOREANS and wants to publish it in EU and NA.

He may as well just meant they got multiple checkboxes for dialoges to flag for languages right now, even though they just use the korean ones. "In Mind for the Western market"

The first line you quote indicates it hasn't been developed as a purely Korean game, it may tend towards that end of the spectrum (if there is such a thing)as the company is Eastern and the fact the fact that the closed beta testing and game changes are as a result of a largely Korean audience will not move it towards a more western MMO, but then look at the recent big western MMOs, thank god it won't be like that.

I may wasn't clear enough, but i wil ltry it again. 
    When he talks about "Western in Mind" he does not reflect on core game mechanics if any at all. At worst he means the game client has no ridiculous dumb restriction which enforces you to run a korean MUI Windows package. (which ofcourse it does not have). Or does not require a Korean Language pack installed to run the Server.
    There is always a communication issue with Korean Studios, as in general. For you westernization means, appealing core game mechanics, for him westerniazation means he can easely switch client languages.

But one thing is fixed. Game mechanics get created / implemented / removed due to Closed Beta Korean FEEDBACK. And as far as he said, after that they want to go out on the EU /NA market asap.

(Sadly) he has not specifically so far said he wants to adjust core game mechanics for outside Korea.

(whew) hope i was more clear this time.

Originally posted by Heraclius

Let's put it this way:

If yes, you have to implement the diving helmet

False: Oblivion had underwater breathing without a dive helmet from the 1800's

Do you like farming?

I farm in AoE2 without tractors, I farm in minecraft without tractors, I farm in real life without tractors...

Do you like sieges?

I agree.

And thats fine if you don't care how it fits it. I created the thread because I do care, and I wanted to see if anyone else cares. I like to play it game "worlds" not just follow some simple quest line. Hence the reason I don't play themeparks.