Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ascalonian Catacombs Dungeon 1 HR (0 MIN 7 SEC) VID

steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

VIDEO

This is a video of the acsalon catacombs dungeon. A WHOLE ONE HOUR. Sorry of this has been posted yet. But its pretty sweet. Check it out!

EDIT: The video is actually 1 hour 0 minutes and 7 seconds. Please thank star8472 for mentioning that. CONGRATZ!!! lol

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Perfect timing, I just made some coffee, back in 1 hour.   image

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Cool vid, but that group just named themselves the AoE Walkers.

Very intersting video, thanks for sharing.

I can see what people are saying about graphics, but as a PvPer looking forward to large scale battles, I'll take smooth gameplay over graphics anyday.

I love the spell effects, just teh right amount, not so much that you lose sight of your target. Again I think this boosts smooth gameplay.

The A.I. still seems a bit robotic too me, the robots in global agenda act more life like...lol.. but still a small thing.

I hope GW2 can offer lots of epic hardcore dungeons for the raider types, and PvEers looking for a challenge. I dont mind, I'll be in the mist, from level one.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Originally posted by Adalwulff

I can see what people are saying about graphics, but as a PvPer looking forward to large scale battles, I'll take smooth gameplay over graphics anyday.

I love the spell effects, just teh right amount, not so much that you lose sight of your target. Again I think this boosts smooth gameplay.

The A.I. still seems a bit robotic too me, the robots in global agenda act more life like...lol.. but still a small thing.

I hope GW2 can offer lots of epic hardcore dungeons for the raider types, and PvEers looking for a challenge. I dont mind, I'll be in the mist, from level one.

What's wrong with the graphics..? I think they look pretty good when someone doesn't have a shit box PC.

• star8472star8472 Member Posts: 72

I was LIED to! this video is not 1 hour! it's 1 hour and 7 seconds!!! D:

k time to watch it.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by star8472

I was LIED to! this video is not 1 hour! it's 1 hour and 7 seconds!!! D:

k time to watch it.

Lol, do you want me to edit that? I'll put your name in honor of telling me that. : P

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Is it just me or did you alls heart sink when you seen the group of spiders take several shots to kill? I mean, they were just house spiders, critters really, not even worth having a level. A can of Raid would take those out, much less swords, spells, and rifles. Giant fantasy sized spiders I could understand, but normal real life sized ones...

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

That's absolutely horrid.  I don't know how you can be excited about this game.  It's just a wow clone, nothing new, and I'm not even trolling.

First, they walk into the dungeun.  That's right, they fing walk into the dungeon...how many times has that been done? You don't just walk into a dungeun...

Second, I was told that it's different from SWTOR where the mobs walk around and are more active.  Well, I counted, and even if some of the mobs were moving, a full 60% of the mobs were just standing there playing yachtze...this proves that they were lying.

Thirdly, you use skills by using a button on your keyboard.  And you KILL things by pushing the keys to activate the skills...can you say WOW clone?

Fing fanbois.  I hate this game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by nate1980

Is it just me or did you alls heart sink when you seen the group of spiders take several shots to kill? I mean, they were just house spiders, critters really, not even worth having a level. A can of Raid would take those out, much less swords, spells, and rifles. Giant fantasy sized spiders I could understand, but normal real life sized ones...

Ya, not sure what the best way to handle that would be. Maybe give them a buff that makes them really hard to hit (Small Foe!: Your non-fire attacks have a 90% they will miss), but make them a 1 hit kill. Or make them twice as big?

I definitely agree with you though. It's kind of wierd wacking on tiny house spiders. Not a huge deal, but it is something they could improve on.

Anyone notice that there are WAY less traps in this dungeon vid than in previous ones. Did they nerf that? or are they just cutting passed those parts in the vid?

Originally posted by UOvet

Originally posted by Adalwulff

What's wrong with the graphics..? I think they look pretty good when someone doesn't have a shit box PC.

I didnt say there was, I said I can understand the people who do.

There are games with some sick real life graphics, even teh grass is 3D. Im sure those people are comparing GW2 to those games.

The graphics are fine with me

Originally posted by bansan

That's absolutely horrid.  I don't know how you can be excited about this game.  It's just a wow clone, nothing new, and I'm not even trolling.

First, they walk into the dungeun.  That's right, they fing walk into the dungeon...how many times has that been done? You don't just walk into a dungeun...

Second, I was told that it's different from SWTOR where the mobs walk around and are more active.  Well, I counted, and even if some of the mobs were moving, a full 60% of the mobs were just standing there playing yachtze...this proves that they were lying.

Thirdly, you use skills by using a button on your keyboard.  And you KILL things by pushing the keys to activate the skills...can you say WOW clone?

You don't think that this is trolling? ITS A BETA FOR GODS SAKE!!! Can't expect it to be perfect. Also, what other way is there to getting to a dungeon? It's more realistic to walk up to a dungeon.

Trolls be trollin, can't cure them all. : (

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by steeler989

You don't think that this is trolling? ITS A BETA FOR GODS SAKE!!! Can't expect it to be perfect. Also, what other way is there to getting to a dungeon? It's more realistic to walk up to a dungeon.

umm, I think it's satire

but with how much trolling has been going in this forum lately, I can see some being a bit touchy

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by DJJazzy

umm, I think it's satire

but with how much trolling has been going in this forum lately, I can see some being a bit touchy

He had me going until the part in green...then Oh, I see what he's doing.

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by DJJazzy

umm, I think it's satire

He had me going until the part in green...then Oh, I see what he's doing.

Ok, just because WoW had the same concept doesn't mean its automatically a "WOW clone"

I can't think of any other way to use skills in the first place.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Thanks for the vid, really entertaining.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Hmm ...

That fight with the multiple bosses before the final one really shows how the non reliance on healers turns out in practice.

Dying, fighting to survive, CPRing others, fighting, dying, fighting to survive ... Rinse and repeat. I guess people mostly did that to prevent a durability hit on their gear because res pads are practically around the corner and those return you with full health without group mates having to break off from the fight to help you out.

All in all I'm not so very impressed: even though you get defeated all the time, it's hard to not defeat a tough encounter because people will continuously be reviving themselves and others during a fight or run back in from just around the corner. Hard fights are like a prolonged, massive suicide attack where you'll be defeated and revived continuously.

I think some people might actually start to miss the trinity and the synergy between different roles as that allows for fights when everyone is still standing without so many personal defeats when the group performed well as a team. It also requires deeper tactics as you need to have your roles covered during the fight: when one role falls away, the whole group collapses.

It looks like you can do a terrible job and still complete encounters, mainly by the short time it takes to get back in the fight so there will always be some people on their feet.

Main requirement for hard fights: having at least a few people up and fighting so the rest can help to revive and fight to survive.

Anyway, I think it would be much more exciting when the boss fights wouldn't have those spawn points nearby nor the dungeons allowing for in-dungeon fast travel.

Also the pointers underneath some boss target names are a bit handholdish: let players find out tactics themselves.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by DarkPony

Hmm ...

That fight with the multiple bosses before the final one really shows how the non reliance on healers turns out in practice.

Dying, fighting to survive, CPRing others, fighting, dying, fighting to survive ... Rinse and repeat. I guess people mostly did that to prevent a durability hit on their gear because res pads are practically around the corner and those return you with full health without group mates having to break off from the fight to help you out.

All in all I'm not so very impressed: even though you get defeated all the time, it's hard to not defeat a tough encounter because people will continuously be reviving themselves and others during a fight or run back in from just around the corner. Hard fights are like a prolonged, massive suicide attack where you'll be defeated and revived continuously.

I think some people might actually start to miss the trinity and the synergy between different roles as that allows for fights when everyone is still standing without so many personal defeats when the group performed well as a team. It also requires deeper tactics as you need to have your roles covered during the fight: when one role falls away, the whole group collapses.

It looks like you can do a terrible job and still complete encounters, mainly by the short time it takes to get back in the fight so there will always be some people on their feet.

Main requirement for hard fights: having at least a few people up and fighting so the rest can help to revive and fight to survive.

Anyway, I think it would be much more exciting when the boss fights wouldn't have those spawn points nearby nor the dungeons allowing for in-dungeon fast travel.

Also the pointers underneath some boss target names are a bit handholdish: let players find out tactics themselves.

This was the easy mode that was designed to be puggable. If people have to essentially break the dungeon to beat bosses in this mode then they won't be able to cope with the explorable modes.

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

One way to change the skill system would be using the mouse to draw shapes to represent spells (stars, circle, square, etc.)and press combo buttons to active skills if that tickled your fancy.  There are a few online fighting games with such a layout where moving in a certain sequence will trigger a skill.  It opens up a bunch of combos that you learn to pull off.  If you could connect that with the weapon swap system in GW2, you can get some pretty interesting combo ideas going.  

You could build a mechanic like lifting things up into the air to juggle or ground hit something.  

Nah, forget it.  Too much effort to try to reason with the original troll post.  

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by romanator0

Hmm ...

This was the easy mode that was designed to be puggable. If people have to essentially break the dungeon to beat bosses in this mode then they won't be able to cope with the explorable modes.

Ok, well ... doesn't change much from the overall mechanics I suppose? Or are there no resurrection pads and fast travel in other modes?

• Nomis278Nomis278 Member UncommonPosts: 126

Didn't really see anything there that looked revolutionary, looked pretty underwhelming overall.

Each to their own though, happy for those that are excited and hope it meets their expectations!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i was playing GW prophecies couple days ago and noticed the king of Ascalon was King Adelbern, the final boss in the Ascalonian Catacombs in GW2. I like the connection lore-wise between both games. Unlike some other sequels where lore rarely has a synergy with its predecessor game.

Ok, well ... doesn't change much from the overall mechanics I suppose? Or are there no resurrection pads and fast travel in other modes?

Hard to really say.

I did notice that in that vid the dungeon seemed WAAAYYY easier than in the previous vids. For one, there were VERY few traps that I saw in that dungeon. In the earlier ones players were literally getting swamped with traps. For two the bosses seemed to be easier.

So, either it's an easier difficulty mode, or they nerfed the crap outa the dungeon in response to the press beta. (I hope it's the former).

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

*snip*

Nope, there are still waypoints in the exporable mode dungeons. Just that dying will become a lot more prevelant, which would mean a lot more broken gear and being forced to go back to town and have it repaired or continue the dungeon with half your stats.

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

Nope, there are still waypoints in the exporable mode dungeons. Just that dying will become a lot more prevelant, which would mean a lot more broken gear and being forced to go back to town and have it repaired or continue the dungeon with half your stats.

I really like how they handled that, should keep people from running thru dungeons. Its always annoying to be grouped with people who only want to finish as fast as they can, just sucks the fun out of the whole thing.