Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Release Date On April 10.

2»

Comments

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Naral

3. The fact that pre-purchase is required, smells just too fishy to me. It makes me think that either A. They are short on capital for further development, or B. they lack confidence in their product. Could be I am completely wrong on both, I hope I am, because I want this game to rock.

Pre purchase is required to be guarenteed a spot in beta, it is not required for access to the beta.  I have a hard time believing they are short on capital, and I'm convinced that they are not lacking in confidence.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Here's my opinion:

Hi, I'm Ike and I play MMOs.  Sometimes a new one coming out gets me so excited I squeel like a schoolgirl, but then it breaks my heart.  Some of those most recent launches (or soon to launch) games have done this to me.  This is by no means limited to MMOs.

I am disturbed by the gaming trend where you can preorder games woth no release dates.  I was around for Duke Nuke'm.  I know I lost a 5 dollar preorder there as I just lost track of it over the years.  TOR, Diablo 3, they all pull similar shennanigans.  I have refused MANY preorders because of this fact.  Because of this, I've lost out on some seriously cool CEs.

But my friends.... Ike has a problem.  It consumes my shelves, my desk, often spilling into my kids room.  That problem is TCHOTCHKES.  And man, does GW2 have one that I'm eyeballing.  

I sold myself on the DDE upon date announcement but man... that Charr just looks soooooooooo good.. It could be on my desk fighting Jedi's and Sack boys.. It could lead the great bookend army to freedom.. I'm sure the fallout bobblehead will follow if only for a story.

Thus my friends, I must break my own rules of preordering only on announced dates...

And lets be fair, there were alot of announced dates that got pushed so many times  that they became a running joke.  I'd rather have a single concrete date than a date that could easily change on a whim.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

from the beta videos the personal story stops at level 20?

so there is 60 levels of content missing, 20 -> 80

thank god we get beta with prepurchase :)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The relavent Q&A from Reddit, so people don't have to dig around for it:

[–]ladyfaithSanguina X 2 points ago

My guess is they'll let us know the release date on the 10th or the 11th.

[–]Mike-OBrien-ArenaNet[S] 42 points ago

No, we won't. It's not like we have a secret release date and we're not telling you. We meant what we said: we'll release the game when it's ready. And beta testing is where we find out if it's ready.

I do tend to think this makes a June release a bit less likely. Not impossible. The April Weekend Beta Event could feasibly be the big stress test they need before feeling comfortable in announcing a release date. If they would confirm that they will release as soon as it's ready and not worry about "seasonality", I'd feel a little more comfortable. NCSoft's comments about preferring not to launch during the summer have me a little worried that if the game doesn't release in June, we may not see it until Q3.

As far as the pre-purchase, you don't have to pre-purchase on the 10th, (unless you are after a CE). People can decide how much they want to get into the April Weekend Beta Event. If that's not a big deal, you can always hold off and pre-purchase later on and still get access to future weekend events and get the 3 day head start. As long as this next beta weekend is indeed NDA free, there will be a lot more information to base a pre-purchase decision on, for those still on the fence, afterwards.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Mmo companies don't like to release during summer so if they won't release by the end of june we will have to wait until September. I am ok with waiting but I don't like practises like this when you buy the game and have no idea when they plan to release it. It's in bad taste and I'm not sure anymore if I will pre-purchase it now.

And I doubt ANet will allow nda free access to high level content. They even said they wouldn't like to spoil the game. So i don't even expect to see all the races starting zones before release I'm afraid.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I'm not too enthused about pre-purchase with no release date but fuck it, it's only $60 and at least I'll get to really sit down and play it for a few days.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Kreedz
    Not sure why people always clamor for release dates.

OH a little thing called "PRE-PURCHASE"

-- You know, when you ask people for money for something but then refuse to tell them when they will get the product they paid for!!

So many numptys paying this company money with no chance of a refund if the game is delayed for months and months or longer. Its not like they will run out of digital copies!

Amazing...

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Vortigon

-- You know, when you ask people for money for something but then refuse to tell them when they will get the product they paid for!!

So many numptys paying this company money with no chance of a refund if the game is delayed for months and months or longer. Its not like they will run out of digital copies!

Amazing...

some ppl, like myself, will buy the game no matter what, so what diff does it make to buy it now or when they have a release date?

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Originally posted by heartless

I'm not too enthused about pre-purchase with no release date but fuck it, it's only $60 and at least I'll get to really sit down and play it for a few days.

Do you know how many millions of dollars gaming companies make off of gamers that have the "oh its only 60 dollars" attitude??.....If we had the attitude that I am not gonna pay a dime until I get a complete, polished game then the industry would be much better off for it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'd prefer a release date, but I also want to get into the betas to ensure the project continues smoothly (and so I get to hit things with sharp objects), so I'm still buying it on the 10th.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by Vortigon

Amazing...

some ppl, like myself, will buy the game no matter what, so what diff does it make to buy it now or when they have a release date?

As a sidenote to this thread, Minecraft and Notch were proof of concept.  This is the live test of the concept.  If it turns into fail for some reason it won't ever happen again.  I also agree with Fir3line, I'm buying this game regardless, so prepurchase or release day, meh. 

• Hero_AlphaHero_Alpha Member UncommonPosts: 60

The beta has been going on since at least DEC 2011 from the Guild Wars site FAQ.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#two

playing:DCUO,GW2,WoW
    played:SWG,LotRO,CoH,GW,FF14,ESO,AlbionOnline

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

I never expected one on the 10th, but I personaly think the game wont be released until November ish.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Good thing is that those of us who pre-purchase will be able to take part in the first CB weekend, which according to common speculation is the 20th April, we will be able to report back on what we've seen (No NDA for the pre-purchase CB weekends). Those that are playing it safe won't have long to wait to hear some honest feedback about how the game plays. A lot of concerns should be addressed then, not long now folks :)

Ah, nice birthday event (for me) if true. :)

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Who wants to be the pre-purchase is a delay and a funding of the delay both packed into one. Kind of like their first closed beta that had no application at the end of the year that they promised the beta would be in..

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The beta was at the end of the year they said it would be.  It was a closed beta.  Another promise ANet broke that was never actually broken?  Keep em coming.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by thedarkess

So Mike from Arenanet basically said that Gw2 will be released when it's ready and this beta weekends are there to determine if its ready. Nothing new.

But they are going to charge you long time before its ready. Why a prepurchase and not a preorder? I can tell you why, prepurchasing 2 million copies makes them €100.000.000 , and pre ordering doesnt give them a single dime. I am still set for a late 2012 release, Oktober or so, and when everyone posts it happy comments, they.ll sell another huge numbers of copies over the hollidays.

They have both pre-purchase and pre-order.

Pre-purchase guarantees you beta access and 3 day head-start. Pre-order gives you a chance at beta access, and 1 day head start... take your pick.

Personally, ANet has given me enough reasons to trust them that I am going to go ahead and pre-purchase. Just the fact that they said they would not announce any feature that wasn't sufficiently complete to be in current testing, and then kept their word on that... that alone buys them some grace from me...