Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exactly how are chests that can only be unlocked via buying keys in the Cash shop NOT Pay 2 win?

BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

I would like to see how anyone can logically come to the conclusion that chests which can only be unlocked by buying keys from the cash shop isnt Pay 2 win.

Cuz i dont think anyone can and if they do claim its not Pay 2 win I think they are being willfully ignorant and/or intellectually dishonest.

So lets hear it. Defend this obvious pay 2 win scam.

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Because it does not contain any gear?  Go look up the leaks on reddit and what not.  That is the reason it is not P2W

BOOYAKA!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't think it's P2W but games that do this annoy the piss out of me.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

...can ONLY be unlocked by buying keys from the cash shop...

Source.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Keys to unlock those chests also drop in game.

• dagon3dagon3 Member Posts: 117

Then its pay to play then,

If at anytime in a game you have to buy something with real money to do anything in the game your paying to play it .

In some form or manner.

/Nuff said

Edit: if they drop in game then thats a different story..

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I would like to see how anyone can logically come to the conclusion that chests which can only be unlocked by buying keys from the cash shop isnt Pay 2 win.

Cuz i dont think anyone can and if they do claim its not Pay 2 win I think they are being willfully ignorant and/or intellectually dishonest.

I shan't. I'll say what I've been saying from the start.

Show me what's in the boxes. Show me the percentile chances of getting x item to be the thing you loot from them. Show me whether that item can be earned in game, and the chances of difficulty to do it.

ALL of those factors make a big difference. If the boxes are a 100% chance of dropping something  more powerful than anyone else can ever get to the point where no one else can compete with the owner, you are right. If it's totally random and I mighta wasted x dollars on some crappy uncommon loot I coulda got for 2 seconds running around in the world...then who cares? Yes they're going to make it drop some decent loot as an incentive, but HOW decent, and HOW likely are you to get something you specifically as a -insert class here- can use?

Also, are the keys obtainable in game as well?

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

The answer to this and all other related questions are simple:

Take 2 players, player A and Player B.  Player A has $100 dollars to spend in the game while Player B has $0.

They both must now "race" to level 20 (just picking a random level), once both players are level 20 they fight eachother or a NPC boss. 

Will player A be strong/win over player B?  The answer to that is the answer to P2W question. 

Player A might have had 100 to spend on leveling speed buffs, and such, but BOTH players end up at the same place (level 20 in this example).  As long as player A does not have an advantage over player B then it's not pay 2 win. 

If player A wants to spend his hard earned money to save himself wasted grinding hours within the game then good for him.  If player B wants to enjoy the grind and waste his time then good for him.  Both players should be given equal options to play the game how they want to enjoy it.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

As far as I know, we don't know for sure that the CS keys are the only way to open them. Also, I'm fairly certain that the keys and the chests can be traded. So, if you don't want to get keys from the CS, you can just buy them from the marketplace or just sell the chests for profit.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by terrant

I shan't. I'll say what I've been saying from the start.

Show me what's in the boxes. Show me the percentile chances of getting x item to be the thing you loot from them. Show me whether that item can be earned in game, and the chances of difficulty to do it.

ALL of those factors make a big difference. If the boxes are a 100% chance of dropping something  more powerful than anyone else can ever get to the point where no one else can compete with the owner, you are right. If it's totally random and I mighta wasted x dollars on some crappy uncommon loot I coulda got for 2 seconds running around in the world...then who cares? Yes they're going to make it drop some decent loot as an incentive, but HOW decent, and HOW likely are you to get something you specifically as a -insert class here- can use?

Also, are the keys obtainable in game as well?

the keys drop in game, and they're for sale at vendors. 

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by dagon3

If at anytime in a game you have to buy something with real money to do anything in the game your paying to play it .

In some form or manner.

/Nuff said

You're arguing semantics, and not doing a good job of it. Pay to play refers to being required to pay...to play, it's quite simple really.

As for the OP, I guess it depends what is inside these chest/boxes? Though it would seem odd if they are simply cosmetic items...

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

You're making at LEAST two assumptions here.  One....that said chest keys are still in the cash shop, and two....that said chest keys are not ALSO drops in the game world.

You don't know the certainty of either of these things, therefore your question can't really be answered.

Also, the last sentence of your post sounds like you're fishing for a fight.  Are you?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I hadn't looked yet, game isn't close enough to get worked up, or excited for me...I was waiting, but I got tired of reading all these threads, so I went to look at the cash shop leaks....

I didn't see any keys for something that does not drop in game also, could of missed it, but I looked at everything they had...

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Well... for one, you need a mystic key OR a golem butler

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/mystic-chest-t33480.html

Secondly, we do not know if mystic keys also drop in the game. We have one report of them dropping in the game, but no proof to back it up. http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1245369&postcount=32

Thirdly, we don't really know the contents of these mystic chests. Just that it's random.

Lastly, just a reminder that the cash shop has apparently changed a little since the beta test (to be expected).

You are freaking out about incomplete information.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by just1opinion

You're making at LEAST two assumptions here.  One....that said chest keys are still in the cash shop, and two....that said chest keys are not ALSO drops in the game world.

You don't know the certainty of either of these things, therefore your question can't really be answered.

As others have said here and I'll echo - the keys can be obtained from other ways than just the cash shop. Even if they couldn't, if the chests provided no statistical advantage, it's still not Pay-To-Win. OP came into the argument with an illogical argument himself.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

That GW2 fanboys dont understand that those chests are full of win! once you open one you become lvl 200 with all the skills of all the profesions and you can triple wield all the weapons.

Originally posted by Decadentia

Originally posted by dagon3

In some form or manner.

/Nuff said

You're arguing semantics, and not doing a good job of it. Pay to play refers to being required to pay...to play, it's quite simple really.

As for the OP, I guess it depends what is inside these chest/boxes? Though it would seem odd if they are simply cosmetic items...

Your right it is quite simple this game is box purchase and free to play .

Example of my point : if i have to spend 1 dollar everytime i cast a spell (buy a key to open a box ) im paying to play the game .

Pretty simple eh?

Move on ...

Already stated that they drop in the game..

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by bookworm438

Secondly, we do not know if mystic keys also drop in the game. We have one report of them dropping in the game, but no proof to back it up. http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1245369&postcount=32

Thirdly, we don't really know the contents of these mystic chests. Just that it's random.

Lastly, just a reminder that the cash shop has apparently changed a little since the beta test (to be expected).

Not good enough, the op DEMANDS that you get worked up, and upset about things that are not final, kind of why I hadn't even looked till now...If I decide I don't like what they are doing, I will not buy it....Game is too far from launch, and things probably will change every beta...

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

the chests can also be opened by an asura golem buttler(you also get them ingame and from quest reward, like personal story lvl 10 gives u one) You can save 50 boxes if you want, and then open them all at once with the buttler in five minutes

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Damn I don't know, in Guild Wars 2, their keys drop.

Just rare keys, and no gear(stat) chest, nd if you want you can play to buy em, if you want. With in game currency.

Which is again why it's not p2w and why GW 2 doesn't depend on it(100%) or ANET.

But op, don't worry you at thea least will have 2 people come and agree for no reason, other than the fact they'll pull a bait and switch "It's p2w, because this game in mind functions like WoW." and then someone says  "No it's not pay to win, look at the functions of the game, you can buy it with or without cash, stop hating or bullshitting." The accuser "What are you talking bout I'm trying to save you guys from witness this, I love this game I just dislike this move I [may] or [may not] be right from what i'm preaching but I am [right] ."

Even if the keys didn't drop, you could get em with in game currency by buying GEMs. How ever what's in the chest isn't a [need], because [needs] don't even come in chest.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by bookworm438

The tool tip for the chests reads "Contains a random tool, a random buff or a random tonic." So I'm going to assume that it contains either a random tool, random buff or a random tonic.

Hardly anything to flip out over even if the only way to open the chest is to purchase the keys with real money.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Banisco

That GW2 fanboys dont understand that those chests are full of win! once you open one you become lvl 200 with all the skills of all the profesions and you can triple wield all the weapons.

Or become a chair.  An OP chair that comforts the enemy to death.

BOOYAKA!

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by Banisco

Or become a chair.  An OP chair that comforts the enemy to death.

LOL!! Comfort chairs ftw <3 thanks for the giggle image

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Heh , you gotta be pretty naive on believing that a game that is F2P with a cash shop won't be B2W.  Even if the Devs say otherwise.   Scratching this game off my list of trials , NEXT!

Too bad 95% of the gaming community are on social welfare and can't support a 10-15$ a month MMO , we would of had ALOT of epic titles.

THIS ... lol

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

being willfully ignorant and/or intellectually dishonest.

Congrats for describing yourself/post within your own post. Everyone else has pointed out the reasons why. But I doubt you will come back and look at this thread past the first couple of people that told you  how stupid the post was.