Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat looks like generic wow crap.

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Homitu

*sighs dejectedly at all the serious responses in this thread*

At least I didn't reply in this thread.

Wait ...

Oh snap ...

Your posts aren't really snarky and/or witty now that you lack your usual signature. Sorry. : /

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

combat looks anything but generic wow crap. i guess the millions of pre-purchases we see on the 10th will prove how most feel about the game.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Cthulhu23
    This thread is going to be awesome.  Brb....grabbing popcorn.

Wait for me ill grab some popcorn also:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

From what I've seen, the combat is more reminiscent of DDO than WoW.  Active dodging and real-time combat.  The only difference that I've seen is that all combat skills, including basic melee, are attached to the hot bars.  This is not a new type of combat though.  DDO has been doing this for six years and DCUO for over a year *edit insert* and AoC has been doing it for four years.  The only difference is GW2 is doing so with a fairly complete product (and I'm a huge DDO fan mind you, but they released the game far from complete back in 06) and a good advertising campaign behind them.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Alot

Wait ...

Oh snap ...

Your posts aren't really snarky and/or witty now that you lack your usual signature. Sorry. : /

Why don't you rub it in some more, Alot? *shakes first*

At least I got a placeholder now.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by iller

wut the hell are you even talking about?

Sounds like you're just grasping for cred now after making a derpy assumption.

Cred?!? yeah cos there's a lot of that around here.

Aside from that, anyone else a bit creeped out by the number of pedo's fapping at the scantly clad 'school girls', that shit aint even funny.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Siveria

Been watchign some video's as of late and the combat pretty much looks like wow garbage, with theone exception you can actually move out of the way of abilities, is this true? I like tera's take on combat with no auto aiming crap like wow, swtor etc has. Is GW2 like this? or is it just generic wow-like combat where you target and faceplant buttons with everything homing in on the target?

You hit the nail directly, congratulation you just dodged a bullet. Good that you won't be playing this what you call it, Generic Wow-like combat.

I am very happy for you that you won't be in this game, as you said, WOW garbage, I think Tera is gonna be your favorite game from now on. And thats great for you.

For the many others who actually knows what GW2 is like, can we just let this Thread die.

Didn't want to reply and bump this to the first page, but since its at the first page, I will just add that those who can read, and see and listen to the many outlets out there that describes the actual Combat of GW2. Leave this alone. This is one Gamer that we wouldn't want to bring into the GW2 community anyways.

No need to educate who doesn't want to be educated. This isn't " No kids gets left behind" its please leave behind the ignorant and uneducated so that we can enjoy the game to its fullest.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by Lucioon

Bla...bla...bla...I'm a GW2 hater..Look at meeeeee...bla bla bla

You hit the nail directly, congratulation you just dodged a bullet. Good that you won't be playing this what you call it, Generic Wow-like combat.

I am very happy for you that you won't be in this game, as you said, WOW garbage, I think Tera is gonna be your favorite game from now on. And thats great for you.

For the many others who actually knows what GW2 is like, can we just let this Thread die.

Didn't want to reply and bump this to the first page, but since its at the first page, I will just add that those who can read, and see and listen to the many outlets out there that describes the actual Combat of GW2. Leave this alone. This is one Gamer that we wouldn't want to bring into the GW2 community anyways.

No need to educate who doesn't want to be educated. This isn't " No kids gets left behind" its please leave behind the ignorant and uneducated so that we can enjoy the game to its fullest.

Applause!

+10

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

if you would all notice he hasnt replied a single time ..... tho i bet you have all noticed and are just using this thread for fun

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It looks like a mix between standard MMORPG combat and action game combat.

Dodge rolling is one aspect that adds to that. But on top of that, when you swing a weapon, it has a certain range and width it will hit. You don't need to necessarily be targeting someone. On top of that, you are unable to target your own team. Heals and condition removal is done through certain skills that either remove them from you or others through an aoe effect. This leads me to believe location will be more important than ever.

Take away dedicated healers and tanks as well and it really doesn't resemble WoW in the least. 

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by bazak

if you would all notice he hasnt replied a single time ..... tho i bet you have all noticed and are just using this thread for fun

This is mmorpg.com, fun is the last thing on our minds.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The totalbiscuit vid on youtube (someone who ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME) sums up the combat very nicely and basically says you're wrong. it's not generic wow button mashing. If I get bored I'll find the link.

• jml816jml816 Member Posts: 53

Been watchign some video's as of late and the combat pretty much looks like wow garbage, with theone exception you can actually move out of the way of abilities, is this true? I like tera's take on combat with no auto aiming crap like wow, swtor etc has. Is GW2 like this? or is it just generic wow-like combat where you target and faceplant buttons with everything homing in on the target?

Your post sounded like generic wow crap.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Originally posted by Alot

Wait ...

Oh snap ...

Why don't you rub it in some more, Alot? *shakes first*

At least I got a placeholder now.

Should it not be "*shakes hoof*"? After all, ponies have hooves, which makes me question why you have a cane in your video...
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

While this guy is probably a troll that doesnt mean he is completely wrong.
    GW2 combat is a bit different but not much. Tab target combat, hit hotkeys etc. Its definetly WoWish.

How about the fact that pojectiles can be blocked, reflected or intercepted by the environment or enemies? Is that's WoWish too?

You know like the pet in this video, who took one for the team.

One of the biggest differences is that your attacks require timing, there will be nothing like a rotation for players that want to be really good.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Originally posted by xenogias

A fact uh? And how do you know this is a fact? Please dont bother talking about the "leaks" before either since thoes prove nothing except they are THINKING about thoes items. Sure, if they are in at launch you could say its a fact but as of now its 50/50 if thoes items will be in or not thus it can not be a fact.

So agin I ask you how do you know its a fact? Oh thats right, you dont. None of us do. Thus making your posts a lie and THAT is a fact. Unless of course you work for Anet and can tell us its set in stone what will be in the cash shop.

And before you idiots try to troll me no, I am not happy with what I saw in the cash shop. But I'm also not dumb enough to try and pass what we saw as fact untill its launched and I see thoes items. Even then its not exactly P2W since everyone has access to the cash shop items in one way or another. Psudo P2W yes. Pure P2W? no.

GW franchise has the most absurdly loyal playerbase ever. Any other company, from Blizzard to Funcom, when "leaks" come out, people are up in arms if they don't like the sound of it. But GW's fans insist on giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not here to hate on GW, the game doesn't interest me, but I wish the fanbase would learn from the industry's history (of which ANet is no small player), and realize that now is the time to post calm insightful discussions about what you've heard and "If it is true, it's a bad idea because...".

Surely I don't need to drop names of the several companies that have done terrific or great with first mmos, some a decade ago, and then done horribly with newer releases. 

You misunderstand me. I'm by no means loyal to Anet. I played GW1 for a short time but I personally do not feel it was a verry good game beyond PvP. I give the benefit of the doubt to every new MMO regardless of the company. I may not purchase the game till I see how the launch goes but I never believe anything untill I see it at launch. Thats all I'm saying.

I'm all for a discussion on what we think we might see. I'm not all for someone trying to state thier opinion as fact. The FACT is we do not know what will be in the cash shop (there is a reason it was under NDA for that beta). My OPINION (which is what he should have stated instead) is that what I saw in the leaked info was bad. Verry bad indeed.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I think the combat in TERA sucks. But, to each his own.

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

Let me tell you straight...combat in mmos in general are like crap...i mean all mmos from ddo to wow to gw2 to tsw, but they're still fun to play.

it takes real skills and balls to play sc2 or rts games and fps.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Its just sad as more time goes by people are not getting smarter. Some can't handle a few lines of text, no clue how to answer and dont like whats typed, get mad or just type troll.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

In WoW you can just tab target through mobs around you, there is no dodging, there is no changing of weapons to change spells, you can often stand toe to toe with a mob and fight it, which you cannot successfully do in GW2.  I don't see how the combat even REMOTELY resembles WoW, not in any way shape or form.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• raazmanraazman Member UncommonPosts: 35

Why don't you play an FPS like Battlefield 3? There is no auto aim, it's all upto you. Down to the pixel (OMG!)!! You get character progression, customization and unlocks. Everytime you play you get a different experience. I think an FPS would better suit you.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by afmart

Originally posted by feena750

GW2 has both free form and tab targeted combat.  You can swing your hammer around and it will hit anything in its area or you can target someone and swing at them.

completely a wow clone!

Nope, AoC clone!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• raazmanraazman Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by afmart

Originally posted by feena750

GW2 has both free form and tab targeted combat.  You can swing your hammer around and it will hit anything in its area or you can target someone and swing at them.

completely a wow clone!

Nope, AoC clone!

Nope SC2 clone!!

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

10 pages of  replies, yeah feed the troll untill it explodes!

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by asianbboy101

Let me tell you straight...combat in mmos in general are like crap...i mean all mmos from ddo to wow to gw2 to tsw, but they're still fun to play.

it takes real skills and balls to play sc2 or rts games and fps.

The biggest issue with MMO combat is they have basically devolved the PVP into battlefields, yet they feed us battlefields which are vastly inferior to a typical FPS battlefield.  If MMOs focused on the big open world PVP then they could get away with the tab-target low skill combat because at least they are offering something unique, something that only its genre can offer.  Or if they truly want to push people into battlefields at least deliver technical quality/features that are up-to-date to modern FPS.  Typical MMO battlefield is at least 7 years behind the modern FPS in my opinion.  Fact is FPS battlegrounds are not only technically superior, they offer more variety and in fact typically support more players as well.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements