Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTB WoW Filter

BarsoomBarsoom Member UncommonPosts: 15

Just want to make a suggestion to any/all game developers out there. Every new game that comes out gets floods of ex-WoW players who want to compare everything in the game to WoW, and seem to think WoW was the first and only MMO until they loged in to the current (fill in the blank) game.

Most games have a profanity filter. if you could add WoW to it I will play your game. Optional setting of course so those who want to see chat about their precious lvl 80 raids with Mr. T and his night wolf mage can have at it.

Played: The Realm, Anarchy-Online, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars, Age Of Conan, Star Trek Online, Aion, Rift, SWTOR

Comments

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I wouldn't mind a WoW filter. I was playing a game and someone used the wrong terminology, I think they said "Guild." When it was pointed out they used the wrong term, they said, "Sorry, I just came from wow."

The next half hour was people talking about how bad WoW sucks and how only kids play WoW. I am tired of this obsession people have with WoW. I play a game to play that game not to play WoW.

Tabula Rasa was like that, the chat wasn't about  Tabula Rasa, it was all about how bad WoW sucked and how Tabula Rasa was a "WoW Killer." Too bad, that was a fun game to play other than the chat.

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

Yet here you guys are.....talking about.....yep you guessed it.... Wow.....

• teoyaomiquiteoyaomiqui Member Posts: 98

well you bring wow up yourself, why would you complain that other do that as well.

btw, tabula rasa was complete junk, just like 99% of other mmo's that came out...

Originally posted by Lentech

Yet here you guys are.....talking about.....yep you guessed it.... Wow.....

I don't mind talking about wow. Just not in a different games chat. 

Originally posted by teoyaomiqui

btw, tabula rasa was complete junk, just like 99% of other mmo's that came out...

I would disagree, I really loved the Tabula Rasa UI, I have played WoW as well as taken extended breaks when I get tired of it. What I loved was Tabula Rasa was completly different from WoW. (When I got tired of WoW, why would I play a clone?)

If you could see a Mob, they could see you. (Aggro was based on sight line not on aggro range)

the UI was set up so the player would actually look at the screen and not at an action bar. 

It had an interesting leveling system. (That branched out into specializations)

Forts could be taken over by the Bane if they weren't defended.

I really enjoyed the game play of Tabula Rasa and was sad that it didn't survive.

(Flaw) If there was a flaw, it was that you couldn't play the Bane, there was no real reason for the game to have PVP, so it felt tacked on.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

You can get back at them by insisting that the game should instead be compared to something really obscure.  Comparing the crafting system to A Tale in the Desert is especially nifty if you can do it right.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Slightly off-topic, but I'm a bit surprised that games don't allow you to edit your own client's profanity filter. Different people have different hang-ups and I think something like that would allow people that get butt hurt in these situations to take control and fix it for themselves.

Hell, if I could go a step further so that it would replace the offensive text with preferred text then I'd never have to be assaulted with leetspeak again. Everyone would be in character image

Of course, such a system would be open to abuse by the individual replacing common words with obscenities or racial slurs.

• BarsoomBarsoom Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by pierth

Slightly off-topic, but I'm a bit surprised that games don't allow you to edit your own client's profanity filter. Different people have different hang-ups and I think something like that would allow people that get butt hurt in these situations to take control and fix it for themselves.

Hell, if I could go a step further so that it would replace the offensive text with preferred text then I'd never have to be assaulted with leetspeak again. Everyone would be in character image

Of course, such a system would be open to abuse by the individual replacing common words with obscenities or racial slurs.

That is an even better idea. extend the (/ignore player) function to include specific words so you can /ignore any chat that has the word of your choice in it. I like that!

Played: The Realm, Anarchy-Online, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars, Age Of Conan, Star Trek Online, Aion, Rift, SWTOR

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

I would have to say. Blizard must be smiling ear to ear knowing that you cannot even play another MMO without the chat being focused on its game.

In reality, every game I have played since WoW normally has a large amount of WoW chatter and the typical "This is not WoW!" response.

I think its rather amusing.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Barsoom

Originally posted by pierth

That is an even better idea. extend the (/ignore player) function to include specific words so you can /ignore any chat that has the word of your choice in it. I like that!

That could lead to some strange conversations where some posts get filtered out.  I mean, "wow" was a word long before World of Warcraft came out.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Probably the best thing to do when folks try to compare it WoW is just not reply. If no one engages it will probably die out faster, just my thoughts.