Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else bothered by the lack of... theme?

Comments

• XebiozXebioz Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Dewm

Originally posted by Xebioz

Originally posted by spaceport

Originally posted by spaceport

opinion)

UHmm.. what book?

Twenty thousand leagues under the sea. 

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Oh I gotcha. and point taken. 1950's, 1870's.... meh :P

But I think the majority of people got what I was really trying to say.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

The genre is fantasy  and not historical and it isn't bound to any IP that i know of even to no eastern one.  In fantasy it is possible to combine swords with underwater helmets. Whats count is that the style is good to look at. For me personally even that doesnt count at all because in MMORPG's it is gameplay over looks anytime. 

The important part is to be able to dive underwater and do the underwanting planting, treasure hunting and i dont care if the helmet look like from the 50's or i eat a pill that make grow gills or some mage put a underwater breath spell on me. The option to just be able to do that is what counts and satisfy my fantasy.

While I agree that this is fatasy game, generaly there are still rules as to which themes go togeather.

Not many people would accept a world of warcraft magic/sword early stoneage theme...but with spaceships. So I understand "there is no timeline" so they can do whatever....it just seems like alot of it conflicts.

I'm probably not wording this the best way either... I dunno I look at the game and I don't see a smooth world, the terrain looks great, the graphics are sharp, the sunsets and water effects are amazing... but when you start looking at the "man made" things in the game...it just looks so, busy. like there is crap everywhere and none of it really belongs.

But maybe I'm the only one that feels this way..

Well most sword and sorcery games/books or anything don't have guns either. We see a lot of that now days.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

If you can accept having people in-game shooting fireballs from their fingers, why is such a strech of imagination having "crazy" inventors making underwater breathing apparatus.

Maybe some races or people have innate magic and others don't...

Anyways it's all pretty standard mix-up of high-fantasy and low technology, what's not to like?

Originally posted by wizyy

If you can accept having people in-game shooting fireballs from their fingers, why is such a strech of imagination having "crazy" inventors making underwater breathing apparatus.

Anyways it's all pretty standard mix-up of high-fantasy and low technology, what's not to like?

So you wouldn't find it hard to accept Frodo having a steam powered zepplin to take to moridor? 

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

So you wouldn't find it hard to accept Frodo having a steam powered zepplin to take to moridor? 

Apples and oranges.

There's a video game.

There's a work of literature.

Also, if someone with literary skills like Tolkien wrote a book about steam-powered zeppelins fighting with huge dragons and had such great talent for story and heroes characterizations, I would gladly read it. Twice. Or more.

Apples and oranges.

There's a video game.

There's a work of literature.

Also, if someone with literary skills like Tolkien wrote a book about steam-powered zeppelins fighting with huge dragons and had such great talent for story and heroes characterizations, I would gladly read it. Twice. Or more.

And this is exactly what I was saying. And have been saying. I have no problem with something that lets you breath underwater. whether it be a spell or a helmet of some sort.  

But just as Tolken did, you have to make it blend. you have to create that sence of reality. 

And that is what I was questioning in AA. 

And some things just can't be blended, I don't think Tolken could have taken a modern black hawk chopper, and blended it with the current story of Lord of the Rings, BUT he probably could have blended zepplins in. and done it tastfully. 

And same with AA, I have no problem if someone has a helmet that lets them breath underwater, BUT I do have a problem with chainmale that is normally in a time period around 1200 a.d. and a dive helmet that is from almost 700 years in the future. In my opinion you just can't make those blend tastfuly.

• StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

What if you started looking at the world without  the idea of mass production and assembly lines of the 19th century?    Maybe this is the reality of that world!       Modern meets old world practicality.    

Personally,  I am kind of used to weird things in fantasy MMO's already so I don't care if you make some 'magic'  to explain it or give equipment that everyone can recognize.  

And same with AA, I have no problem if someone has a helmet that lets them breath underwater, BUT I do have a problem with chainmale that is normally in a time period around 1200 a.d. and a dive helmet that is from almost 700 years in the future. In my opinion you just can't make those blend tastfuly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura

"Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (more commonly known as Arcanum) is a role-playing video game developed by Troika Games and published by Sierra Entertainment. It was released in North America and Europe in August 2001 for Microsoft Windows. Debuting at fourth position on NPD Intelect's best-seller list, it was Troika's best-selling title with 234,000 copies sold and with takings of US$8.8 million."

In this game, magic and technology DID blend tastefully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura

"Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (more commonly known as Arcanum) is a role-playing video game developed by Troika Games and published by Sierra Entertainment. It was released in North America and Europe in August 2001 for Microsoft Windows. Debuting at fourth position on NPD Intelect's best-seller list, it was Troika's best-selling title with 234,000 copies sold and with takings of US$8.8 million."

In this game, magic and technology DID blend tastefully.

Well we can agree to disagree then, you are so hung up on the one example of the dive helmet you are missing the point of the discussion.

I guess I have this to say, show me a game/movie/book, that tasfully blends:

Chainmale

sails that have yellow smiley faces on them

1900's dive helmet

giant bunny rabbits

burmuda shorts

magic powered tractors

and mustache glasses.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

These blends seem to be about in every mmo that comes out anymore....I use to worry about it, but if you do that, you just make yourself go crazy....

You are putting real world practicality into a fantasy/sci-fi game, and trying to make tings that are real apply to things that are not...

You have plenty of games that people still use knifes/bows, and people have guns, magic, etc....Weapon restrictions, where theirs no real reason the person that can become invisible, shouldn't be able to use a gun or whatever also...  So in short, their is no 'answer' for you.

• Sabic133Sabic133 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Its a fantasy world, I'm not even sure why there is an issue with the mix of technology.  Its seems more based off the gameplay mechanics and making them easier or more presentable to the player than building a world around a generic fantasy theme and then making the gameplay match it.

Besides,  technology always moves forward in the real world but its based on a demand.  Its not that far off to say in our own reality if things would of been different or resources located in different parts of the world we could have tractors and still be fighting with swords.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

This whole thread reads like : Hi, this did not happen like this in our evolution and will break immersion for me...

To all of you thinking that way, do you know that Chris Angel does not actually do magic, he just creates illusions and tricks your mind into thinking something if you dont question yourself? Magic is not real, does that not break immersion for you? Same with elves or furries. They dont exist. However, I do concede that one can debate that dwarves & gnomes do exist.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

Originally posted by neobahamut20 

This whole thread reads like : Hi, this did not happen like this in our evolution and will break immersion for me...

To all of you thinking that way, do you know that Chris Angel does not actually do magic, he just creates illusions and tricks your mind into thinking something if you dont question yourself? Magic is not real, does that not break immersion for you? Same with elves or furries. They dont exist. However, I do concede that one can debate that dwarves & gnomes do exist.

And this is where the thread breaks down, We were having a nice (I thought) conversation, about my opinion (as I stated more then 30 times) of a game that I like (and will buy).

BUT instead of actually reading my post (guy I quoted) you guys are focusing on 1 example of a problem I have with this game.

SO I will repost what I just posted and maybe one of you will actually read it.

Chainmale

1900's dive helmet

giant bunny rabbits

burmuda shorts

magic powered tractors

and mustache glasses.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Dewm you just keep repeating the same thing over and over. We get it you don't like that they mixed techonology and fantasy. Don't just right off other opinions because they don't agree with yours. I think your last post is where the thread breaks down not the one you're quoting. Obviously nobody is going to sway you from your thoughts so just let it go.

Oh and to answer your question. Maybe it will be Archeage that successfuly blends all those things you mentioned. But that won't cut it for you because someone already gave you an example and you simple said something along the lines of "Oh well that's just 1 I need more." Hence I'm under the idea that nothing will sway you and those tractors and dive helmets are just that big of a deal to you.

I play games for 1 reason and 1 reason only and that is to have fun. If it's fun I like it if it's not I don't. I honestly think people put way more emphasis on immersion than is necessary these days. The corner stone of immersion is fun, if you're having fun and enjoying yourself you will feel immersed. If you get all bent out of shape over small inconsistencies then you're never going to have fun regardless.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I am fine with a steam-agy fantasyish IP.

What I am not so fine with are the disco dancing, bermuda shorts and bikinis. I asociate those way too much with our current culture. That coupled with the fashionable, cute character art with modern day hairdo's (like in many other modern mmorpgs), are probably the biggest detractors in the immersion department for me. (The rest is simply very awesome from what I've seen).

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by DarkPony

What I am not so fine with are the disco dancing, bermuda shorts and bikinis. I asociate those way too much with our current culture. That coupled with the fashionable, cute character art with modern day hairdo's (like in many other modern mmorpgs), are probably the biggest detractors in the immersion department for me. (The rest is simply very awesome from what I've seen).

I will endeavour to cope with them and may well embrace it, running into battle in Bermuda shorts with a bucket on my head, if you can't beat them, join them.
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

And this is where the thread breaks down, We were having a nice (I thought) conversation, about my opinion (as I stated more then 30 times) of a game that I like (and will buy).

BUT instead of actually reading my post (guy I quoted) you guys are focusing on 1 example of a problem I have with this game.

Chainmale

1900's dive helmet

giant bunny rabbits

burmuda shorts

magic powered tractors

and mustache glasses.

why does it have to tastfully blend? why can't they just co-exist in a world because its there. I think all this crazy stuff is what i really enjoy about archage :) it gives players so much freedom to do what they want with little restriction. Why is theme even remotely important? Look at how crazy and out of place things in the real world are o.0

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by synn

Chainmale

1900's dive helmet

giant bunny rabbits

burmuda shorts

magic powered tractors

and mustache glasses.

why does it have to tastfully blend? why can't they just co-exist in a world because its there. I think all this crazy stuff is what i really enjoy about archage :) it gives players so much freedom to do what they want with little restriction. Why is theme even remotely important? Look at how crazy and out of place things in the real world are o.0

Have to agree. Archeage is a pastiche of fantasy /sci fi /mundane world. I don't understand why when something different comes out people are so quick to want it turned into the same generic and tired old shit they've been seeing for the past decade or so.

And those trying to equate a FANTASY world with the real world can sod off as well. Its fantasy, it does not have to be fettered by the bonds of OUR world's history. Would you prefer they make the game like the real days of kinghts and armor, where armies suffered about as many casualties from dysentery as combat?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

OP, I guess you'll hate the upcoming MMORPG "The Secret World" with a vengeance then.

It has magic, demons, modern and futuristic weapons, and it's happening in current timeline.

Originally posted by DarkPony

^Agree

Originally posted by k11keeper

Dewm you just keep repeating the same thing over and over. We get it you don't like that they mixed techonology and fantasy. Don't just right off other opinions because they don't agree with yours. I think your last post is where the thread breaks down not the one you're quoting. Obviously nobody is going to sway you from your thoughts so just let it go.

Oh and to answer your question. Maybe it will be Archeage that successfuly blends all those things you mentioned. But that won't cut it for you because someone already gave you an example and you simple said something along the lines of "Oh well that's just 1 I need more." Hence I'm under the idea that nothing will sway you and those tractors and dive helmets are just that big of a deal to you.

I play games for 1 reason and 1 reason only and that is to have fun. If it's fun I like it if it's not I don't. I honestly think people put way more emphasis on immersion than is necessary these days. The corner stone of immersion is fun, if you're having fun and enjoying yourself you will feel immersed. If you get all bent out of shape over small inconsistencies then you're never going to have fun regardless.

I'm repeating the same thing over because you are not getting it.. I don't know how to make it more clear.

my problem is NOT with the technology, my problem is with them mixing all of this stuff togeather. Like burmuda shorts, and mustache glasses.

...That is as clear as I can make it.. You all took 1 example (the dive helmet) and thats all you can focus on.. If someone else can't realise that i'm not talking JUST about that...then I don't know what to do.. I can't make you not be stupid..

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Oh I gotcha. and point taken. 1950's, 1870's.... meh :P

But I think the majority of people got what I was really trying to say.

The mistake in your logic is that you're measuring a totally alien world against our technology progression whose evolution has been heavily influenced by our military and corporate evolution as a planet.

In the PnP game Traveller / MegaTraveller (a sci-fi based game) you can create worlds throughout the galaxy.  The game defines techology levels to help define and identify a planet's cultural and scientific progress.  While the tech levels are designed in reference to our own progress (and those of the science fiction works we know) it also stipulates that societies are rarely bound within a single tech level.  For example the game describes our tech level to be around 8, but our computer technology is around level 9 - 10.  In tech level 10 societies gravitonics (anti-gravity tech) is common.  So while we're very advanced in computer technology we're also far behind that in vehicular technology (7 - 8).

ArcheAge has elements of high fantasy and steam-punk.  The combination of the two make for great allowances in technological variation.  Novels like The Difference Engine or games like Arcanum and even EQ2.  Guild Wars and RIFT both have pretty dramatic technological inconsistencies if you frame them from our real world tech progression.

It's okay not to like it.  After all, that's your opinion, but you don't have a logical argument for incosistency.

And what you posted above is your opinion.. I have no problem with that. We'll probably both buy the game (lord willing it see's NA's shores)

I just feel (imo) that there is a lack of constistency... And I could be wrong. I've tried to give best examples as I can... I guess we'll see...

Hopefully the game does well.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Have to agree. Archeage is a pastiche of fantasy /sci fi /mundane world. I don't understand why when something different comes out people are so quick to want it turned into the same generic and tired old shit they've been seeing for the past decade or so.

And those trying to equate a FANTASY world with the real world can sod off as well. Its fantasy, it does not have to be fettered by the bonds of OUR world's history. Would you prefer they make the game like the real days of kinghts and armor, where armies suffered about as many casualties from dysentery as combat?

This is the problem I have with the OPs argument.  Everytime I read a new review I cringe at the "innovation" score.  Everytime a new game comes out people bitch about how it's the same thing as the last one.  Invariable there will be the idiotic "wow clone" spew from some derphead.  So if a game does nothing new or different it gets panned.

Every once in a while we get the rare situation where a game is being developed by a create force that actually designs game play to be fun and not just a coporate revenue generator.  It has an over-arching design concept.  It improves on previous systems, ideas, and designs along with adding it's own new twists.  What happens?  It gets panned because it's too different and weird.

The hardcore MMO players (and I'm not talking solo/raider, casual, etc - I'm talking about those who are primarily dedicated to playing this genre) have made the bed they sleep in. We have sent the wrong signals so now we have the offering that we've got with the monetary gouge as the icing on the cake.

And this is the problem with your arguement. You are taking your limited view of what people want from these forums. "i'm tired of cookie cutters" "i'm tired of theme-park MMO's" etc...

But it reality...

WoW still has (roughly) 5-9 million subs

RIFT has 2 million + subs

Aion has 1 million + subs

SWTOR has 3 million + subs

....I could go on, but you get the point. Anyways like I said, that lack of consistency is just MY OPINION.. but I think that its a dumb arguement to come in here and say "people are tired of the same old same old... we want new wild inovation" when in reality you are getting this opinion from this tiny little forum.

And this is the problem with your arguement. You are taking your limited view of what people want from these forums. "i'm tired of cookie cutters" "i'm tired of theme-park MMO's" etc...

But it reality...

WoW still has (roughly) 5-9 million subs

RIFT has 2 million + subs

Aion has 1 million + subs

SWTOR has 3 million + subs

....I could go on, but you get the point. Anyways like I said, that lack of consistency is just MY OPINION.. but I think that its a dumb arguement to come in here and say "people are tired of the same old same old... we want new wild inovation" when in reality you are getting this opinion from this tiny little forum.

I don't think that is confined to this site.  I see that broadly mirrored across gaming sites and forums.

Well I can't say anything about that.. but I certanly don't see it reflected in sales. But to each his own.

I know for me, my perfect MMO would be FFXI 2.0

I don't need any "inovation" or fancy gimmics... I just want solid gameplay.