Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: NDA Lifts

Comments

• HakotenHakoten Member UncommonPosts: 23

People are whining about the graphics because they can't handle anything but "realistic" anymore. It's so disappointing.

It has its own artistic style, and it looks good and feels good. Been in Beta for awhile and I'm really looking forward to what's to come.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I played it and I like it, some of the quests weren't working optimally and there were some glitches in the graphics, or maybe it was my video card, who knows.  For a F2P, I think it'll get some good attention, the jetpacking around feels similar to Section 8: Prejudice and the effects are nice.  Maybe it won't be as awesome as some people thought, including myself, but so far it's far from "bad".

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Hakoten

People are whining about the graphics because they can't handle anything but "realistic" anymore. It's so disappointing.

Really?  When was the last 'realistic' mmo released?  Oh, that's right, NEVER.

Maybe we are just getting tired of the cartoony shortcut graphics mmo's are employing.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by DarkVagabond

And why is everyone pitching a fit at the whole idea of it being free. Is nobody happy unless someone else is digging through their wallet?

Do you really think an online FPS with the P2W business model will be successful? 

The only chance they have is to keep their cash shop to character customization, and I don't see any publisher willing to take that risk.    

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by adam_nox

Maybe we are just getting tired of the cartoony shortcut graphics mmo's are employing.

Bingo!  Cel shading is a way to take a shortcut graphically while justifying it with the "it's artistic" argument.  It's complete bollocks and has been ever since it came on the scene so many years back.  I'll say the same thing now that I said then about it.  Graphics are supposed to get better, more realistic not go backwards to the 8 bit , cartoony days.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

This is a real Closed Beta and Red5 have made it evident that character customization, as of this phase, is barely more than an afterthought. Bug squashing and balance refining now, pretty princess later. The NDA only fell to prove the company has an open developent environment.

And why is everyone pitching a fit at the whole idea of it being free. Is nobody happy unless someone else is digging through their wallet?

I also have no idea whats wrong with the graphics that people are seeing, because the game looks fantastic on my end. I suppose having more than three colors is frightening to today's gamers.

Why everyone is bashing Firefall and praising the likes of Planetside 2 baffles me.

One will be fair for everyone, one lets you rent guns.

I'm not because this game will be my F2P game and Tera will be my sub game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

For  free to play game it looks ok even more then ok, just wait and see how this one turns out.

There is lots of room for improvement so my gues is it still needs time to finetune lots of stuff.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

It looks ok but nothing compared to PS2 :)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by elocke

Third person shooter mixed with cel shading...for me, those are 2 cons right off the bat.  Ah well, I can take this one off my radar.  

Imo, these could be good qualities to the game. I'm still v interested in firefall. Thanks for the vids!

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

You can freely switch between 3rd and 1st person view.

As for those of you who dont like the cel-shading, well nothing we can do for you there, but if graphics really dominates your decision in games, all I can say is that youre limiting your range of games. Graphics should never come before gameplay when it comes to choosing games.

In the short amount that I have played (roughly 3 days), I have enjoyed my experience, however limited it is at the moment. But I understand what BETA means, so my expectations werent that high going into it.

There are things I don't like about the game, but the pros have outweighed the cons thus far, and I am excited to see where this title goes, and considering it will be a F2P game, the graphics and gameplay are some of the best I have seen.

If you like Team Fortress 2, you will like this game (Plus, it has Jetpacks!).

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I watched a couple videos done by the Yogscast crew on Youtube and this game looks like fun. Reminds me of a Borderlands meets Gears of war mash up. I'll give it a try since its F2p.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

The ammount of uninformed opinions in this comment section is hilarious.

I am not seeing anything of "team Fortress" here. I am not seeing anything of borderlands here or gears of war. Seriously were those comparing to those games born yesterday or is there no one old enough to remember the previous game of this lead designer in charge of firefall?

I am seeing cellshaded and a bit slower Tribes. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Bingo!  Cel shading is a way to take a shortcut graphically while justifying it with the "it's artistic" argument.  It's complete bollocks and has been ever since it came on the scene so many years back.  I'll say the same thing now that I said then about it.  Graphics are supposed to get better, more realistic not go backwards to the 8 bit , cartoony days.

Whatever.  One can still appreciate it as a style, even if it isn't the most graphically intensive.  I really liked Borderlands partially because of the cel shaded graphics.  I'm looking forward to Borderlands 2 for the same reasons.  Firefall also fits into this category.  Know what else?  I can still enjoy comic books today that don't present themselves as holographic projections that leap off the page and play out in your lap.  That's right, some of us dig that "backwards", "8-bit" stuff.

So much f*cking snobbery.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Tastes differ. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it wildly accepted as a lazy development, or plain bad for that matter.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Originally posted by thinktank001

Do you really think an online FPS with the P2W business model will be successful? 

The only chance they have is to keep their cash shop to character customization, and I don't see any publisher willing to take that risk.    

Red5 IS that publisher about to take that risk. Pay attention.

Originally posted by Unlight

Whatever.  One can still appreciate it as a style, even if it isn't the most graphically intensive.  I really liked Borderlands partially because of the cel shaded graphics.  I'm looking forward to Borderlands 2 for the same reasons.  Firefall also fits into this category.  Know what else?  I can still enjoy comic books today that don't present themselves as holographic projections that leap off the page and play out in your lap.  That's right, some of us dig that "backwards", "8-bit" stuff.

So much f*cking snobbery.

Wow, I really hit a nerve.  It's just my opinion.  I llke comic books, but you can't compare them to video games that evolve "graphically" on purpose as newer technology comes about.  If you like it, fine, but I should be able to choose as a gamer which graphic style to play with, as some games let you turn it off, like Champions Online.  Since they don't offer an option, it will lessen my immersion factor immensely and unless the gameplay is astounding, then I just won't be playing it.  Doesn't look like the gameplay is astounding, either.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Tastes differ. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it wildly accepted as a lazy development, or plain bad for that matter.

Of course tastes differ.  The old phrase "a sucker born every minute" comes to mind here.  Heheh, I kid, I kid.  You guys need to learn see "opinions" in posts.  Guess I have to spell it out for you.  This is my opinion.  Sheesh!

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Low skill ceiling, laggy, boring classes (almost copies of Team Fortress), horrible pvp maps, horrible pvp in general are just some of the reasons why Firefall won't be a huge success. Cosplay advertising? Really? For a FPS game? Ah well. I was allowed into beta quite early and I can tell you that it got so bad that I literally just gave my beta keys away to anyone I could because the game just didn't matter anymore.

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

So many QQ here LOL

Game is awesome, its a good FPS and a decent MMO.

If you dont like that kind of graphics then its your problem not the game.

PvP its fine because they are trying to reach eSports.

PvE needs a bit more of work

it doesnt have so much lag unless they are messing with stuff..

But sometimes the IA of mobs get messed and it doesnt work well.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

It will be f2p. It cant be worse then some pay to play games. If it gives me an hour of fun a week I'll like it.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Amazingly slow boring tedious game,,  feels like itt's a watch the paint drying mmo.

Thanks but no thanks Tabula Rasa was 10X the game Firefall aspires to be and it got its plug pulled.

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

Yeah sure, your opinion its really important  oh wait...Didnt you were complaining about the COSPLAY?

Rofl..

QQ everywhere.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537
    I remember the developers of Firefall speaking a lot about their open world and the PvP inside of it at some point. Haven't seen any open world PvP videos on YT so far.

Disappointing :(

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Sorrow

Amazingly slow boring tedious game,,  feels like itt's a watch the paint drying mmo.

Thanks but no thanks Tabula Rasa was 10X the game Firefall aspires to be and it got its plug pulled.

can't even be compared to FireFall.  it was just a grindy RPG with an FPS inspired interface.  not an FPS game at all.

slow and tedious?  you can't have played it.  its quite the exact opposite of that.  its very much the fastest and most movement for both mobs AND players of any MMO out there.

if you are even an FPS player at all, you probably like the slow military fetishfests and got your feelings hurt that i called them what they are.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by wormed

Low skill ceiling, laggy, boring classes (almost copies of Team Fortress), horrible pvp maps, horrible pvp in general are just some of the reasons why Firefall won't be a huge success. Cosplay advertising? Really? For a FPS game? Ah well. I was allowed into beta quite early and I can tell you that it got so bad that I literally just gave my beta keys away to anyone I could because the game just didn't matter anymore.

gave youre key away early and gave your lack of knowledge away early too.

you have no idea what the game is like at the moment.

Corpus Callosum