Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hypothetical: The F2P SWTOR Cash Shop

Since the 25-friend key offer, several people here have mentioned that they think SWTOR will go F2P before the year is out. 

If so, how will the game survive and make money? What do you think the cash shop will look like?

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    They can sell uses of the spacebar during cutscenes, they will make a fortune.
  • TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by RefMinor

They can sell uses of the spacebar during cutscenes, they will make a fortune.

LMFAO!

That's wicked.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i think Swtor as F2P would be one of the most popular F2P mmos out there. Maybe EA would add Swtor elite. Pay a sub and get full access to the game and future dlcs.......like activision did with CoD lol

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

F2P would require that the content be interesting enough to warrant continuous play. The cash shop would be the engine that adds flavor to the content to make people want to stay in the world and, more importantly, monetize the system to keep it running. Nothing about SWTOR is immersive. The landscapes and planets are all funneled, linear and devoid of character.

EA is concerned about short-term profits. If this game doesn't start gaining subscribers, they'll pull the plug on it before they go F2P. My prediction is that the life-support will be switched off on this game come December (2012).

I'll be willing to eat some humble crow at that point if I'm wrong. image

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

Since the 25-friend key offer, several people here have mentioned that they think SWTOR will go F2P before the year is out. 

What do you mean "Since the 25 friend key offer?" Those predictions have been making the rounds on this board since the game released.  The only difference is the goal posts were moved from three months to one year. I'm sure when December rolls around and TOR still hasn't went F2P, the new standard will be 2 years.

If so, how will the game survive and make money? What do you think the cash shop will look like?

Won't happen. LA wouldn't let SWG go F2P and that game was on life support for years. It will close down first.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

F2P would require that the content be interesting enough to warrant continuous play. The cash shop would be the engine that adds flavor to the content to make people want to stay in the world and, more importantly, monetize the system to keep it running. Nothing about SWTOR is immersive. The landscapes and planets are all funneled, linear and devoid of character.

Swtor is million times more immersive and has more content than DCUO, and look how DCUO evolved after becoming F2P.... the games always packed now. So im sure it would work alot better for Swtor, specially since many star wars fans that dont play the game would return (or new players come) with no monthly commitment.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Probably, they could sell different race/class unlocks like other games and like what the legacy system will offer. They could sell storage space, maybe even credits. They would have to re-do the drop rate of credits and the costs of things in games (training, mounts, etc.), maybe.

Of course, cosmetic stuff, pets, different companion unlocks, dlc...xp?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

EA is concerned about short-term profits. If this game doesn't start gaining subscribers, they'll pull the plug on it before they go F2P. My prediction is that the life-support will be switched off on this game come December (2012).

I'll be willing to eat some humble crow at that point if I'm wrong. image

I dont necessarily agree with your premise but its safe to say that SWTOR will hemorage alot of subs and get to the point where server merges will happen.  My guess is they retain 200-300k subs and never gaining anything else.  Thanks to the fanbase response of the IP.

With that being said if SWTOR was made exactly like it is today and in its place was some generic sci-fi the game would tank hard.  The only players that Ive noticed that enjoy SWTOR are total whackjobs for all things Star Wars related, the same type of people who put out death threats to Lucasarts for adding in Jar-Jar Binks.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Zylaxx

The only players that Ive noticed that enjoy SWTOR are total whackjobs for all things Star Wars related, the same type of people who put out death threats to Lucasarts for adding in Jar-Jar Binks.

Why...because you don't like it? That is the most absurd thing that I have read on MMORPG.com to date. It's people like you that are keeping me uninterested in GW2. The community in that game will make WoW's community look golden.

I dont necessarily agree with your premise but its safe to say that SWTOR will hemorage alot of subs and get to the point where server merges will happen.  My guess is they retain 200-300k subs and never gaining anything else.  Thanks to the fanbase response of the IP.

With that being said if SWTOR was made exactly like it is today and in its place was some generic sci-fi the game would tank hard.  The only players that Ive noticed that enjoy SWTOR are total whackjobs for all things Star Wars related, the same type of people who put out death threats to Lucasarts for adding in Jar-Jar Binks.

Havve you seen the thread on this board that TROLL HARD did on why so many people are so passionate about this game? Seems to me the passionate crazies for all things Star Wars hate this game.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Havve you seen the thread on this board that TROLL HARD did on why so many people are so passionate about this game? Seems to me the passionate crazies for all things Star Wars hate this game.

The way I like to think of it is the prequel fans are the SWTOR fans.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

The only players that Ive noticed that enjoy SWTOR are total whackjobs for all things Star Wars related, the same type of people who put out death threats to Lucasarts for adding in Jar-Jar Binks.

Why...because you don't like it? That is the most absurd thing that I have read on MMORPG.com to date. It's people like you that are keeping me uninterested in GW2. The community in that game will make WoW's community look golden.

Every time a GW2 fanatic comes in here trashing this game it reminds me of why I used to never get into MMOs and makes me even more happy that TOR is keeping players like that away.

Every time a GW2 fanatic comes in here trashing this game it reminds me of why I used to never get into MMOs and makes me even more happy that TOR is keeping players like that away.

I agree. I don't know why the hate though. ToR is far from being a bad game. People are still playing Warhammer, Runescape, Guild Wars, STO, Alganon and some other horrible games for goodness sake.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

And there we go again... He never mentioned anything about GW2, he just said what he thinks about SWTOR and now your brain connects... Oh, SWTOR basher = GW2 fanboi... It's like you can't even say anyhting about SWTOR without being accused of GW2 fanaticism or something similar.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by korent1991

And there we go again... He never mentioned anything about GW2, he just said what he thinks about SWTOR and now your brain connects... Oh, SWTOR basher = GW2 fanboi... It's like you can't even say anyhting about SWTOR without being accused of GW2 fanaticism or something similar.

ummm...his flaming GW2 signature may have given it away. It is almost always the GW2 fans bashing SWTOR. I really wish they would release it so you guys would have something to do.

I agree. I don't know why the hate though. ToR is far from being a bad game. People are still playing Warhammer, Runescape, Guild Wars, STO, Alganon and some other horrible games for goodness sake.

There is still people playing DCUO and others that can't wait for Planetside 2. Why anyone would want to give their money to SOE after all they've done to screw their customers over the years is beyond me.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

T-shirts with "1.7 Miliion" on them.

Novelty cupcakes.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

I agree. I don't know why the hate though. ToR is far from being a bad game. People are still playing Warhammer, Runescape, Guild Wars, STO, Alganon and some other, IN MY OPINION, horrible games for goodness sake.

there, fixed it for you

I agree. I don't know why the hate though. ToR is far from being a bad game. People are still playing Warhammer, Runescape, Guild Wars, STO, Alganon and some other, IN MY OPINION, horrible games for goodness sake.

there, fixed it for you

It kind of went without saying, but thanks for taking the time to point it out.

ummm...his flaming GW2 signature may have given it away. It is almost always the GW2 fans bashing SWTOR. I really wish they would release it so you guys would have something to do.

So what? Now you're not even allowed to have a signature of a game you like without being accused of fanboism when you have a bad opinion about some game? 

For what I've seen is mostly people talking that they don't like the community of GW2 (which still doesn't exist) because there's too many fanbois on this forum. But I really don't see that much of fanbois (it's mostly the same people every time) as much as I see people who complaint about GW2 community or shit like that...

I played SWTOR and the only fun part was the leveling, after that it was boring and I had nothing to do in that game. I really wish people would stop saying stuff like you just did because someone said he dosen't like this game... I'm sorry it's so delicate and swtor players feelings got hurt by someone saying he doesn't like the game.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

once GW2 comes out, so many will leave TOR that it will definitely need a cash shop when it goes F2P.

• dramatikzdramatikz Member Posts: 51

I would expect if they ever did go F2P and added a cash shop it would include.. little pets, and other little gimmicks to get people to play longer.

[EQ][DAoC][WoW][WAR][SWToR][GW2][TSW][WS}

So what? Now you're not even allowed to have a signature of a game you like without being accused of fanboism when you have a bad opinion about some game? 

For what I've seen,In My Opinion, is mostly people talking that they don't like the community of GW2 (which still doesn't exist) because there's too many fanbois on this forum. But I really don't see that much of fanbois (it's mostly the same people every time) as much as I see people who complaint about GW2 community or shit like that...

I played SWTOR and the only fun part was the leveling, after that In My Opinion it was boring and I had nothing to do in that game. I really wish people would stop saying stuff like you just did because someone said he dosen't like this game... I'm sorry you're so delicate and your feelings got hurt by someone saying he doesn't like the game.

Since you like having this disclaimer on other posts, fixed for you.

Originally posted by sonoggi

once GW2 comes out, so many will leave TOR that it will definitely need a cash shop when it goes F2P.

Different types of games and players. Most of the players will stay because they don't like fantasy mmorpgs.

For what I've seen,In My Opinion, is mostly people talking that they don't like the community of GW2 (which still doesn't exist) because there's too many fanbois on this forum. But I really don't see that much of fanbois (it's mostly the same people every time) as much as I see people who complaint about GW2 community or shit like that...

I played SWTOR and the only fun part was the leveling, after that In My Opinion it was boring and I had nothing to do in that game. I really wish people would stop saying stuff like you just did because someone said he dosen't like this game... I'm sorry you're so delicate and your feelings got hurt by someone saying he doesn't like the game.

Since you like having this disclaimer on other posts, fixed for you.

You either are terrible at english grammar or just doing this for the sake of revenge... When someone says I HAVE seen, I played, then it's already my opinion... Because it's what I've experienced... So you just "fixed" it wrong...