Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why such strong feelings about SWTOR?

Comments

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by Jason2444

SWTOR should have been made for Star Wars fans

Instead it was made for WoW fans

awesome. You Failed it.

Fixed that for ya.

SWTOR was made for Star Wars fans, and succeeded to a high degree. That it also has the trappings of WoW (or so people like to claim, though I only played it to 10lvl or so and couldn't stand it) is only a minor concern to me.

I'll tell you the game that failed at Star Wars. That game was SWG. It was a fun sandbox game (between the release of JTL and the NGE), but it wasn't Star Wars. The devs never really 'got' Star Wars. Period. Look no further than the pathetic planet of Corellia. It was supposed to be one of the most industrialized planets of the Core World, home to the largest shipyards in the galaxy....what do we get with SWG? In Coronet we got a couple tall buildings, lol, and maybe two buildings you could enter. What a joke that was.

SWG never captured the immense scale present in the Star Wars paradigm...something that nearly every other video game was able to do. From KOTOR to the Jedi Knight series, you see the massive scale of things everywhere.

You forgot how it failed in having Jedis as well.  In a time when then was one jedi alive (Luke), I just never could understand how dozens were running around every place I went.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

All I see are a bunch of people complaining that the game wasn't made "for them."  The problem with that is quite simply, no game developer has the resources to cater to small, elitest groups.

SWTOR does a lot of things right.  For a game that isn't even six months old, it has had the best launch for a new mmo that I can remember since playing this genre.

The game does not cater to hardcores.....get over it.  The hardcore audience is no longer the standard to reach for in this business.  Why cater to a few thousand hard core fans when you can cater to millions of people with only a few hours to spend on gameplay.  It's all about economics, plain and simple.

If you don't like it, stop complaining and make your own game for you and your hardcore buddies.  Then try to keep it going, updated and patched and add new content.  Are you ready to mortgage your house yet? (if you have one that is)

Fact is these types of games are a major investment of time and money, and those that make that investment want a return on that money.  When this genre was new, the hardcore gamers were really the only people playing these types of games.  Times have changed.  You are not the important demographic anymore, infact you're exactly what game companies want to avoid.  You're like locusts!  You come into a game, tear it apart, seek out exploits, rip through content like it's going out of style, dominate anything that affects other players (world bosses, pvp, etc) and then complain that there's nothing left.  When you've sucked all you want out of it, you move on.  Who's left behind? The average player.  But it's the average player that pays the bills, not fly by night hard core gamers.  So why even bother catering to them?

Personally, I find the game fun and fits into what I think Star Wars should be.  It doesn't deal with the movies and I'm glad for that.  They have a blank slate for future story development.  Don't agree with me? You don't have to, but when it's the same complaints over and over and over again, the naysayers stop being people with a legitimate beef and you start sounding like a bunch of whiners complaining because Bioware didn't give YOU what YOU wanted.

Anyhow, while you waste your time here making the same circular complaints and waiting for the game that will NEVER satisfy your tastes, I'm off to have fun in SWTOR.

Best of luck.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by asianbboy101

Originally posted by RefMinor

wtf. you guys on crackin pipe?! you let the hype get over your head.
    swtor is one of the top five mmorpgs ever made. 2 million sales and 1.7 subs, that is awesome.
    the stoy is one of a kind and combat is very active, for christ sakes its more innovative than fps.
    the game has potential with the updated 1.2 so called jesus patch and future expansions.
    swtor is relatively new, so give it time and it will bear its fruit. it's not like wow was great at the beginning.  wow was at its peak after serveral expansions. 
    just wait few years, swtor will be honored as the top mmo.
    gw2, tsw, archage can't touch swtor.

Lol, do you wear a motley cap when you do this stuff.

what stuff..i'm being serious. swtor is a well made game with few quirks, but eventually its gonna reign like a storm.

It's already lost the battle, the only debate is what level subs will steady at, I doubt it will be enough for anything other than maintainence only status.
  • flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92

guys like Distopia, Pony and MMOMaverick took this website to war over it., and we all were vindicated by their quitting/silence not even a full month later. 

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by flclimax

guys like Distopia, Pony and MMOMaverick took this website to war over it., and we all were vindicated by their quitting/silence not even a full month later. 

Yep.

btw, have they apologized for all the flaming and reporting they did yet?

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

SWTOR is themepark,i pass -_-

maybe i cancel my kids WoW subscription and move on to SWTOR,at last im puting my kids in touch with some good pop culture

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

swtor is one of the top five mmorpgs ever made. 2 million sales and 1.7 subs, that is awesome.

the stoy is one of a kind and combat is very active, for christ sakes its more innovative than fps.

the game has potential with the updated 1.2 so called jesus patch and future expansions.

swtor is relatively new, so give it time and it will bear its fruit. it's not like wow was great at the beginning.  wow was at its peak after serveral expansions. 

Hahahahahahahahaha!  O m g.....that was good.  Thank you for the only laugh I've had today.  I really needed that.  Thanks for posting.

Hype can be a very very bad thing. I think when hype is lies, rather than truth with excitement....doom is imminent.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

anybody seen Icewhite around lately?

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by NagilumSadow

SWTOR is a claustrophobic, oppressive feeling system wherein you have different shades of the same choice. We went from the most rich, complex crafting systems of all-time in SWG, to a totally non-existent crafting system in SWTOR. Whether or not you log in is perfunctory because the SWTOR system give you no vested reason in playing.

It is a rat-maze pellet-feeder system where you have no choices and no freedom for options of any kind. SWTOR in three words: Closterphobic, routinized and boring. They wanted to make a cash-cow and it shows.

Heck if they had created a complex character development system, that would have filled a big void. But even that is 100% cut-and-paste boring.

Why such strong feelings? With the deep astar wars mythos, how did bioware miss the mark so badly? If they literally tried to sabotage the MMO they couldn't have done a better job at it.

Exactly my feelings.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Is that you fony?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Metentso

Yep.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

SWTOR is hated due to a perfect storm of hatred. 

First, you have the Star Wars fan.  The Star Wars fan loves the original trilogy, but after many many nights of conflicting emotions, finally realizes that the prequel trilogy was horrible.  The Star Wars fan was excited about SWTOR due to the amount of money being spent and that it was being made by Bioware, a company known for good story telling.  Instead, they get a WoW clone with way too much crowd control and instancing.  And in one terrible moment, this group merged with another.

Second,  you have the standard mmorpg gamer.  The gamer loves Bioware for Dragonage, Mass Effect, Kotor ect.  The gamer hears about Bioware developing an mmorpg with huge financial backing.  Suddenly the possibility for an excellent mmorpg gets in their head and they fantasize about it.  Then the Hype machine hits and they are defenseless.  They get in the game and realize it's just another WoW clone except for with too much crowd control and instancing.  They may like the voice acting, but get tired of a voice actor trying to convince them why they need to kill 10 lizards.

Third, you have the sanbox mmorpg fan.  This type of gamer is sick of all the WoW clones and longs for the old days of Ultima Online, Asheron's Call ect.  They recognize the possibilities for a truly great virtual world but all that ever releases are WoW clones.  A huge big budget WoW clone is released and it just one WoW clone too many.  So they attack.  Luckily for them, this new big budget WoW clone is actually a lot worse than WoW, and has already upset a lot of gamers in it's crappyiness.  They smell blood and decide to help send the gaming industry a message.  "NO MORE WOW CLONES!!! SEE HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WILL LOSE?"  They shout it from the rooftops. 

The disenfranchised Star Wars fan and the jaded standard mmorpg gamer add their voices.  It is the perfect storm.

A cogent analysis.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Lol, do you wear a motley cap when you do this stuff.

what stuff..i'm being serious. swtor is a well made game with few quirks, but eventually its gonna reign like a storm.

It's already lost the battle in my head, the only debate happening now in the echo chamber is what level subs will steady at, I doubt, since I only listen to those who validate my views,  it will be enough for anything other than maintainence only status.

Another thread fixed in my imaginary world where SWTOR has 1.7m subs, burble, burble burble and isn't dropping subs like flies round an electrocutor!

Thanks for fixing that for me.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/297eb963-c71e-4df3-843e-75c3d521df84

all that is left for ToR .......................

Originally posted by Distopia

Is that you fony?

who?

Is that you fony?

who?

Uhhhuh

i'm sure everyone still remembers how you guys were acting around here. i just registered an account here but i use to lurk this forum all last year.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

A tantrum (or temper tantrum or tirade or hissy fit) is an emotional outburst, usually associated with children or those in emotional distress, that is typically characterized by stubbornness, crying, screaming, yelling, shrieking, defiance, angry ranting, a resistance to attempts at pacification and, in some cases, violence. Physical control may be lost, the person may be unable to remain still, and even if the "goal" of the person is met he or she may not be calmed.[1][2][3][4][5] A tantrum may be expressed in a tirade: a protracted, angry, or violent speech.[1][2] 

i'm sure everyone still remembers how you guys were acting around here. i just registered an account here but i use to lurk this forum all last year.

So that's the second person to take anything I said as flames (unless you were the first to throw stones). As I told the last guy examples.

I still don't buy it. No one else I've ever seen has  been "out to get" specific posters in such a way. I'd actually like you to give one example of where I said SWTOR was going to be a game I'd play for more than a few months, on it's own merits, my whole reasoning all along was to play with actual friends, which I said I'd quit if they did, well they did.

Examples of what you're talking about please (of me flaming posters [who weren't flaming others]).

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

So that's the second person to take anything I said as flames (unless you were the first to throw stones). As I told the last guy examples.

I still don't buy it. No one else I've ever seen has  been "out to get" specific posters in such a way. I'd actually like you to give one example of where I said SWTOR was going to be a game I'd play for more than a few months, on it's own merits, my whole reasoning all along was to play with actual friends, which I said I'd quit if they did, well they did.

Examples of what you're talking about please (of me flaming posters [who weren't flaming others]).

Same here but they went to world of tanks so I'm back in TOR......WOT  omg barf   *eyeroll

Originally posted by lokiboard

Same here but they went to world of tanks so I'm back in TOR......WOT  omg barf   *eyeroll

Hehe, I've been giving thought to trying that one out lol.

burble burble.

burble burble.

Yeah that's close to what I expected.:) Back to the other games I'm watching.. Cya

• RiftstarRiftstar Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by Riftstar

Honestly, this game isn't bad at all, as far as PVE and story are concerned. It's not hard and I find it a fun way to pass time. I would like to see PVP worked a bit more.

Did you hit level 50 yet?

Since I feel the same as the quoted poster (minus the PvP which I don't do in RPGs), I'll say yes. After 2 months, I hit my first 50lvl character. By the first of May, I'll have my second 50.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the class stories, and like watching reruns of a TV sitcom, I don't mind going through the side quests again, though I break it up by alternating factions. Played a hybrid dps/tank JK, mixing it up with a sneaky Smuggler and a pure dps Sith Marauder. I'll surely play all 8 class stories, and I'll likely redo some classes as different spec to experience different companion stories (dark Jaesa for example).

Well that's cool. I am wondering what Riftstar's answer will be too.

I did. I still play Empire, but I also wanted to check out the Republic storyline, so I'm working on a scoundrel now. Story is still very good. It's interesting how the same bit of history is skewed between the factions (i.e. Revan). Barely mentioned on Republic side (or maybe I haven't progressed far enough), but well-known on the Empire side.   

Playing: MWO
    Waiting For: Star Citizen