Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why such strong feelings about SWTOR?

Comments

• BigHatLogan2BigHatLogan2 Member Posts: 16

I've actually seen some posts in this thread defending the prequels...  Please review the following links if you like the prequels, it will help reacclimate you to reality. 

http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep1.php 

http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep2.php 

http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep3.php 

The Star Wars IP is a sad thing.  There were three great movies, with great dialogue/acting and state of the art special effects.  Everything since has just been garbage.  I really see this as George Lucas' fault.  He must have had a secret partner or something that helped him with movies back in the day.  Everything he does now just turns to shit.   In the prequels we get 3 movies with absolutely terrible dialogue, acting, and an overfill of bad cgi.  Wise puppet Yoda is out and hip/cool back flipping cgi Yoda is in.  The whole thing is indefensible.  It really is time to just let the IP die as things will only get worse with Lucas at the helm.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by Calerxes

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Calerxes

SNIP!

You could have replaced all that dialogue with this one line....

<---------- Look at my avatar and what's written underneath it.

Would have saved you mucho time and effort.

LOL. I stopped reading after the  "SWG was more popular after the SOE security breach."  I mean......WOW.

It was.

Before the breach there was only 1 full server (Starsider), then after, populations grew, and 2 more servers (Farstar and Chilastra) became full, and SOE had to lock them out from transfers too, which was done just a week before they announced the closure of SWG. Starsider was still full, I was expecting it to drop and then open up to transfers again, but it did not, it was quite amazing, I could not believe my eyes, it was a miracle. Flurry was getting to be next to be full, then the announcement of its closure came, and populations plummeted.

Also there was the free transfers, so people came back and moved to other servers, and were loving the game again. This is what SWTOR needs now, otherwise it will just die faster, especially with 200 servers and the majority all dead. If people quit STO then it is because they do not like it, if people quit SWTOR then it is not just because they do not like it, but also because the server they are on is dead.

I think what you have observed there is people love FREE and people always slow down to observe a car crash. When you put those two together with an MMO you get  a temporary rise in population.

some dropped out after their 45days, but a rather substatial amounth stayed AFTER the 45 free days. But for what ever reason you can think of they stayed and actually DID whip out their wallets to play it. When the game actually did close down, which btw was long after the free 45day offer expired the player base was far higher then before the security breach.

Lets face it despite Lucasarts attembts to destroy the game it was great and fun, for alot more people YOU are willing to admit it was.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by Pelaaja

This does not sit well with the community on mmorpg.com, because many of the players here are MMO hipsters and snobs. 

If the mmorpg.com community is so appalling to you, why do you want to be part of it (us)? Hypocrisy much...

If this game is so appalling to you, why do you still feel the need to comment on it every chance you get?  Hypocrisy much?  

Ye, I've made 3 posts on 2 weeks. Every chance I get isn't that much.

As I said, I haven't gotten past the fact that I've been had with this game and have quite a few grudges to settle with it before I let it go. Until it happens, I'll toss in an opinion or two per week or so.

If you feel like people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions freely, Kim Jong Un would like a word with you.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by ShakyMo

This does not sit well with the community on mmorpg.com, because many of the players here are MMO hipsters and snobs. 

If the mmorpg.com community is so appalling to you, why do you want to be part of it (us)? Hypocrisy much...

If this game is so appalling to you, why do you still feel the need to comment on it every chance you get?  Hypocrisy much?  

Ye, I've made 3 posts on 2 weeks. Every chance I get isn't that much.

As I said, I haven't gotten past the fact that I've been had with this game and have quite a few grudges to settle with it before I let it go. Until it happens, I'll toss in an opinion or two per week or so.

If you feel like people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions freely, Kim Jong Un would like a word with you.

Also...the OP is essentially asking why people have negative feelings towards SWTOR.  So you shouldn't be surprised to find negative feelings towards SWTOR in this thread.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Most people feel that SWTOR took their childhood dreams and wiped their ass with it. The hate usually comes from something not being up to their standard. people followed and got very excited about this game and when they got in they realized it wasnt that ground breaking at all. Quite the opposate really. My hate for the game is done which is why i havent been attacking it much lately. however if you start going though the posts on the forums you will noticed that attention is being shifted away from SWTOR hate and towards GW2 hate. Those who strongly support GW2 are suddenly on the defencive, same as SWTOR does. This is called the Path of a MMORPG. Haters VS Fanboys + People who enjoy the game but dont hit Fanboy levels. happens every time. nothing to be worried about.

in the end it comes down to, if you enjoy the game play it. dont stop because a bunch of people on a forum tell you to. Playing by their example will only hurt you later.

No ..I think most realized Lucas did this a long time ago.  When I was watching Phantom Menace I might as well have been 10yrs old waiting for Catholic mass to end so the priest could sodomize me in the confession booth. Hyberbole of course but not far off from how I felt at the time.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

People have high emotional attachments to childhood icons.

Why is that so hard to grasp? Star trek got blasted because it was sub par. So will Star Wars. Now because of EA and BW, people who wanted  an immersive star wars universe, got shafted with a WOW clone and people like myself will probably be dead before it is ever attempted again at this level.

But now, after the biodrones attacked and defiled anyone who wanted it to be better by being honest, I relish in the fact that the game is dying a quick death. What a loathsome community they are.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

People will soon forget how much they love or hate SWTOR. Han Solo dancing is really where Star Wars officially became ruined. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Valkaern

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

If this was just a shoddy game issue, people would be done with it by now and move on to other games to talk about. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Why do you think people are responding so strongly to SWTOR, either positively or negatively? How do you feel about the way Lucas Arts and EA have dealt with this IP?

As everyone here is an MMO fan, and generally interested in MMO news, it's not possible to 'move on' when it's on the news page of major MMO sites every other day for repeatedly 'getting the patch it should have released with..again!' and various other  questionable or underwhelming tidbits of news.

I've said plenty of negative things regarding swtor, and have no respect for it whatsoever, but don't confuse that as 'responding strongly', it's more like shrugging while suppressing a yawn. I'm not personally invested in the game and wouldn't mind one way or another should it disappear forever or carry on providing whatever it's providing. Ideally I'd fully support the game getting overhauled to more than just a lackluster clone so more demanding players could enjoy it as well.

I'd imagine some Star Wars & MMO fans would be disappointed that this is probably the last Star Wars MMO we'll see for awhile, and many apparently found it extremely shallow and lacking, that's a likely cause for at least some of the negativity.

You're dealing with MMO fans & Star Wars fans for the most part, which have generally been pretty passionate about speaking their mind on both, so it'd be silly to expect silence on the subject. 

That coupled with the fact that there seems to be a lot more Swtor threads directed at non current players than other games seem to generate. 'What would it take for you to go back to Swtor?' & Questions for the haters, for example. Scroll through the forum, the majority of posts seem to be asking why so many hate it, what it would take to bring people back, or similar rather than actual posts regarding the game.

I'm sure if the swtor community focused more on game discussions than trying to justify, cover up or denounce dislike of the game, it would invite a lot less conflict.

Either way, I'd be perfectly happy if swtor threads both negative & positive disappeared from these forums forever.  I'm sure it'll fade soon enough. If you're enjoying it, go for it, don't let others opinions affect you, but those posts constantly calling out to non-players generally seem like baiting.

This whole post is a strong response to a post about strong responses to SWTOR, and in it, one Valkaern denies responding strongly to SWTOR.  I think I need another beer.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

I've actually seen some posts in this thread defending the prequels...  Please review the following links if you like the prequels, it will help reacclimate you to reality. 

Showidd

The Star Wars IP is a sad thing.  There were three great movies, with great dialogue/acting and state of the art special effects.  Everything since has just been garbage.  I really see this as George Lucas' fault.  He must have had a secret partner or something that helped him with movies back in the day.  Everything he does now just turns to shit.   In the prequels we get 3 movies with absolutely terrible dialogue, acting, and an overfill of bad cgi.  Wise puppet Yoda is out and hip/cool back flipping cgi Yoda is in.  The whole thing is indefensible.  It really is time to just let the IP die as things will only get worse with Lucas at the helm.

You say anyone who likes the prequals should have a reality check and then provide links to a crazy Star Wars fanboy who spent too much time sleeping with his original trilogy tapes. Classic. The box office returns on the prequels prove that there was many who enjoyed them. You could say the big returns for Episode 1 were just a product of it being the first Star Wars movie in 15 years, but what about the other two? We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars for each one.  do they all need your "reality" check as well?

You also have a very funny opinion on great acting and dialogue if you think the original trilogy had either. Sorry, but I've seen more engaging dialogue in high school plays. Without the special effects, sound effects and the musical score, Star Wars is a badly acted set of movies with stilted dialogue.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by kartool

People will soon forget how much they love or hate SWTOR. Han Solo dancing is really where Star Wars officially became ruined. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

OMG that is so cool! What do you mean, ruined? I'd love that as minigame in SWTOR! :)

This is even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuJXaVrvpXE

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Showidd

You say anyone who likes the prequals should have a reality check and then provide links to a crazy Star Wars fanboy who spent too much time sleeping with his original trilogy tapes. Classic. The box office returns on the prequels prove that there was many who enjoyed them. You could say the big returns for Episode 1 were just a product of it being the first Star Wars movie in 15 years, but what about the other two? We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars for each one.  do they all need your "reality" check as well?

You also have a very funny opinion on great acting and dialogue if you think the original trilogy had either. Sorry, but I've seen more engaging dialogue in high school plays. Without the special effects, sound effects and the musical score, Star Wars is a badly acted set of movies with stilted dialogue.

I didn't read the original links and I have nothing to say about the "prequels." However, I don't think talking about box office returns indicates quality. It's like saying McDonald's is a great restaurant because they sold x-billion hamburgers.

The thing about Star Wars is the structure of the story (i.e., mythic structure), rather than dialogue or acting. Of course, if the acting or dialogue hinders our experience of the strucure, it is a problem.

EDIT: Also, red text on black (or in this case dark/grey background) causes eye strain for many people. I like to read your posts, so maybe you could consider another color? http://www.dare.co.uk/fine-arts/red-text-on-a-black-background/

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

wtf. you guys on crackin pipe?! you let the hype get over your head.

swtor is one of the top five mmorpgs ever made. 2 million sales and 1.7 subs, that is awesome.

the stoy is one of a kind and combat is very active, for christ sakes its more innovative than fps.

the game has potential with the updated 1.2 so called jesus patch and future expansions.

swtor is relatively new, so give it time and it will bear its fruit. it's not like wow was great at the beginning.  wow was at its peak after serveral expansions. 

just wait few years, swtor will be honored as the top mmo.

gw2, tsw, archage can't touch swtor.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by asianbboy101

swtor is one of the top five mmorpgs ever made. 2 million sales and 1.7 subs, that is awesome.
    the stoy is one of a kind and combat is very active, for christ sakes its more innovative than fps.
    the game has potential with the updated 1.2 so called jesus patch and future expansions.
    swtor is relatively new, so give it time and it will bear its fruit. it's not like wow was great at the beginning.  wow was at its peak after serveral expansions. 

Lol, do you wear a motley cap when you do this stuff.
  • asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by asianbboy101

Lol, do you wear a motley cap when you do this stuff.

what stuff..i'm being serious. swtor is a well made game with few quirks, but eventually its gonna reign like a storm.

• RiftstarRiftstar Member UncommonPosts: 22

Honestly, this game isn't bad at all, as far as PVE and story are concerned. It's not hard and I find it a fun way to pass time. I would like to see PVP worked a bit more.

Playing: MWO
    Waiting For: Star Citizen

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Riftstar

Honestly, this game isn't bad at all, as far as PVE and story are concerned. It's not hard and I find it a fun way to pass time. I would like to see PVP worked a bit more.

Did you hit level 50 yet?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by ignore_me

Since I feel the same as the quoted poster (minus the PvP which I don't do in RPGs), I'll say yes. After 2 months, I hit my first 50lvl character. By the first of May, I'll have my second 50.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the class stories, and like watching reruns of a TV sitcom, I don't mind going through the side quests again, though I break it up by alternating factions. Played a hybrid dps/tank JK, mixing it up with a sneaky Smuggler and a pure dps Sith Marauder. I'll surely play all 8 class stories, and I'll likely redo some classes as different spec to experience different companion stories (dark Jaesa for example).

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Since I feel the same as the quoted poster (minus the PvP which I don't do in RPGs), I'll say yes. After 2 months, I hit my first 50lvl character. By the first of May, I'll have my second 50.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the class stories, and like watching reruns of a TV sitcom, I don't mind going through the side quests again, though I break it up by alternating factions. Played a hybrid dps/tank JK, mixing it up with a sneaky Smuggler and a pure dps Sith Marauder. I'll surely play all 8 class stories, and I'll likely redo some classes as different spec to experience different companion stories (dark Jaesa for example).

Well that's cool. I am wondering what Riftstar's answer will be too.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

SWTOR should have been made for Star Wars fans

Instead it was made for WoW fans

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

Originally posted by Jason2444

awesome. You nailed it.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by Creslin321

Well, like KOTOR or not, you have to admit that it was pretty innovative.  It brought that style of RPG to consoles by using a camera angle and gameplay that was conducive to controller play.  I really don't think that there was anything like it before.

BG2 was phenomenal as well.  And I thought ME1 was great.  I guess my point is that, even though there have been some hills and valleys in BW's career, all their other games are just on another level when compared to SWTOR or DA2.  DA2 and SWTOR are the first BW games I played that felt like they came from a "second-rate" studio.

I liked KoToR, don't get me wrong, but it still wasn't at the same level as BG1/2. To me, BG1 really stood out head and shoulders above everything else in CRPGs of the time. I played BG1 inside and out. BG2 was great too. I liked it almost as much as BG1. I played through BG1 and BG2 multiple times and still have the games on my computer. Those two games were extremely innovative for  CRPGs based on AD&D, considering that prior to that most AD&D games were released by SSI and most of them had horrible UIs and were difficult to manipulate.

Roll in NWN1 and we ended up with an extremely buggy mess. I remember the nightmare of trying to play it in multiplayer, some of the game-breaking bugs, and the awful campaign it released with. It took around a year for players to release mods and for Bioware to release enough patches to overcome the issues. I was naive back then. I was super-hyped up for Bioware's first 3D D&D game, but the result was incredibly disappointing: I ended up shelving it until the release of some player mods and the first expac.  NWN1's OC had me wondering if Bioware really was a second-rate studio.

This continued with KoToR, which I admit is overall a good game, but it was highly flawed. Yes, it can be credited I guess with being the first of their cinematic games but  I think they cut corners or perhaps Lucas Arts didn't give them everything they needed to make the game as good as it could have been. There were some surprisingly amateurish elements. Add to that a clonky UI and the D20 system, which I thought worked less well than the 2nd edition AD&D system in BG1, and overall, the game was pretty meh. Again, good storyline and all, and I finished it twice, but it was no where near to being the gems that BG1 and 2 were.

I really feel that ToR continues with the same vein as KoToR to be honest. It is like a KoToR3 but online and with some MMO elements thrown in as an afterthought. ToR is more polished though and almost as engaging. It has a similar feel to ME1. I was surprised because from time to time I wonder which game I am playing, because the side quests and a lot of the writing in both games are so similar. So in that sense, I would say that ToR is not as bad as a lot of people on these forums make it out to be, but seeing how much money went into its development, it is pretty disappointing.

Outside of BG1/2 and ME1 (and perhaps the second and third installments of those games), Bioware really is a pretty mediocre studio. I was expecting ToR to be much worse than it is. I don't understand why Bioware had such a good reputation. Perhaps it was made mainly on the BG series, but that is now getting to be about 15 years ago...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

awesome. You nailed it.

You know, you COULD argue with me here, but Id say it was attempted to be made for both.  And utterly failed.  At both. 

People who were loving their Star Wars fix were playing Galaxies, which was pretty authentic especially to the original trilogy which is all that matters to me at least.   This game doesnt really seem to fit within any of those realms, original trilogy or prequels although Id say it has more prequel treatment than otherwise.   As far as pleasing WoW fans, well, if you're going to emulate WoW you might want to attempt doing WoW one better in some way.  No voice overs and movie dialogue dont count towards game play.  If Swtor were just a movie it would suck horribly.  So the game is what is important.  Its not half as polished as WoW.  

Now all the excuses in the world can be given about how WoW is going on a decade and has had more time and so on and so forth.  But the disadvantage to WoW will always be that it was made nearly a decade ago.  Meanwhile Tor was not.  Yet Tor is inferior graphically, gameplay wise, and sporting stiffer and more wooden animations.  Its PVP is sad beyond measure, and most things like guild perks and UI customization is absent.  Thats in most games at launch.  Good ones anyways. 

Swtor appeals now to those that have invested in it.  Time and money.  Those that have left speak out about how it just wasnt all that great.  Those that havent are either secretly or spoken out about how they're hoping for more improvements.   But I think the only thing keeping Tor fans going is the sense of having investing in something they dont want to admit is a very lackluster gaming experience. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Crackbone

Largest Development Cost + Star Wars + Bioware CGI trailers and hype, and here we are. 

This game cost too much money for what it brings to the table. An amazing IP, a huge budget, lots of hype and lots of disappointment...

imageimage
  • JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Where are these strong feelings coming from? That's the first question you have to ask yourself. I think the majority of the people who ridicule The Old Republic are Guild Wars 2 fans. Many people who've never played this game but when they see a mis-step by The Old Republic or World of Warcraft, they begin to foam at the mouth a little bit. It's not unusual though in any medium. When something is hugely successful, people want to see someone de-throne that game, movie, actor, sports figure...whatever.

With The Old Republic, it' like the trinity. Some people don't want a Star Wars mmo to succeed. Some people would just like to see Bioware stumble a little bit. Most of all, people want to see EA fail. The truth is, that I think the game is better than mediocre but you better be when you have a budget of 250-300 million dollars. Some of the strong opinions are also from people who just simply had unreasonably high expectations for the game.

I've said it from the get go. I hope the game is a success. I hope Guild Wars 2 is a success. I hope World of Warcraft continues to find success. I believe it will breed competition and have company working harder for our attention and our dollars and I think that's a good thing for all gamers.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

awesome. You Failed it.

Fixed that for ya.

SWTOR was made for Star Wars fans, and succeeded to a high degree. That it also has the trappings of WoW (or so people like to claim, though I only played it to 10lvl or so and couldn't stand it) is only a minor concern to me.

I'll tell you the game that failed at Star Wars. That game was SWG. It was a fun sandbox game (between the release of JTL and the NGE), but it wasn't Star Wars. The devs never really 'got' Star Wars. Period. Look no further than the pathetic planet of Corellia. It was supposed to be one of the most industrialized planets of the Core World, home to the largest shipyards in the galaxy....what do we get with SWG? In Coronet we got a couple tall buildings, lol, and maybe two buildings you could enter. What a joke that was.

SWG never captured the immense scale present in the Star Wars paradigm...something that nearly every other video game was able to do. From KOTOR to the Jedi Knight series, you see the massive scale of things everywhere.