Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Release Date On April 10.

El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

I've got the straight edge.

Comments

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Im sorry, maybe its because ive just woken up and im feeling sluggish, but ive readen the link you posted and i cant see why you infer we arent getting a release date on april 10. I think he doesnt even brush the subject.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

look at MIke's 5th comment in the post.  and read a few comments up from that.  someone suggests that we will get a release date and he says no.

edit: his 5th comment.

I've got the straight edge.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

I see it now, thanks for pointing it out.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

They just started closed beta. The sylvari and asura were not available in the last press beta weekend. There were placeholders for some of the elite skills. Level cap for press beta was 30 out of 80. I have seen two dungeon bosses in press beta footage glitching so they end up in the wall. In one video from the Yogscast they ended up in a village without any events and with a castle in the distance that wasn't reachable.

All these things tell me that it will still take a while before they announce the release date.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Not sure why people always clamor for release dates.

While I am sure a lot of people are excited to see GW2 hit stores so they can start adventuring in Tyria, I would rather they use the BETA testing phase to work out any unforseen bugs and have a polished product on release day.

From what I have seen GW2 looks in good shape, with no major bugs thus far (btw... please keep the 'sitting jump animation!') and definitely wont be a case of Duke Nukem Forever.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by RagnorMalak

They just started closed beta. The sylvari and asura were not available in the last press beta weekend. There were placeholders for some of the elite skills. Level cap for press beta was 30 out of 80. I have seen two dungeon bosses in press beta footage glitching so they end up in the wall. In one video from the Yogscast they ended up in a village without any events and with a castle in the distance that wasn't reachable.

All these things tell me that it will still take a while before they announce the release date.

There obviously are events in that town if you read whats on the UI as they are walking around it, theres also a skill point to be gained.

As for the Castle being unreachable, I suggest reading up on the Lore of the Wizard's Tower.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by RagnorMalak

the sylvari and asura wont be in any beta I would say, they want to keep some stuff as surprise

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

So Mike from Arenanet basically said that Gw2 will be released when it's ready and this beta weekends are there to determine if its ready. Nothing new.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Even thou it's Anet but it feels too weird to fork out full payment for a product that i don't even have an ETA on. I don't like the way the industry is heading if this trend continue

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by channel84

Even thou it's Anet but it feels too weird to fork out full payment for a product that i don't even have an ETA on. I don't like the way the industry is heading if this trend continue

Then dont pre-purchase.  If however you wish guarenteed access to all beta events then it will cost you.

Nothing wrong about this, as it assures the company some needed capital before launch and you get to play the game guarenteed.  Its win-win for every one involved.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by channel84

Agreed.

All the "pre-order to guarantee you closed beta access + a few days head start" cases, way before the NDA drops are iffy, even if it's Anet.

The same with TSW now.

And SWTOR lifted their NDA soon after preordering started (if I recall correctly) but didn't have so many long term, max level beta events. Mostly short, orchestrated and low level beta weekends which gave many a skewed impression.

In that sense I really think ArcheAge is giving the best example: long open beta's & no nda: if you have nothing to hide, let the game sell itself, rather than doing it by marketing campaigns, the hype of only partially informed fans and short and limited open beta exposure.

This also ensures much more valuable player feedback and stress testing moments.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Keep in mind that ANet has been doing things a littel differently with their beta... rather than use the beta for bug testing their philosophy was to not go into beta until they were sure they're about ready to release, then use the beta for stress testing and to uncover any last minute tweaks, balances, etc. that may need to be done. Of course bugs they missed will be exposed, but they're not relying on beta testers to be their bug testers. So GW2 going to beta like this means it's a lot closer than most games would be.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Keep in mind that ANet has been doing things a littel differently with their beta... rather than use the beta for bug testing their philosophy was to not go into beta until they were sure they're about ready to release, then use the beta for stress testing and to uncover any last minute tweaks, balances, etc. that may need to be done. Of course bugs they missed will be exposed, but they're not relying on beta testers to be their bug testers. So GW2 going to beta like this means it's a lot closer than most games would be.

Which is the positive perspective on this. Problem is that by not being completely open before pre-ordering starts, they can't make us dismiss the negative reading yet either.

We can only assume.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by DarkPony

Which is the positive perspective on this. Problem is that by not being completely open before pre-ordering starts, they can't make us dismiss the negative reading yet either.

We can only assume.

True, but the reason they're not being "completely open" is because they can't... they want to be sure the game's ready before announcing a release date and getting trapped into releasing a less-than-ready product. We've seem how well games go when they release to a schedule instead of release to actually being ready to release.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

I think the clear difference between EA/Bioware and ArenaNet is that EAware was hiding the ball all along. They never showed extended videos of the game prior to their "beta." They had their Developers do talking head segments about the game, telling us what it was going to play like instead of showing us. From the beginning, careful viewers could see that EA was hiding something.

ArenaNet has been more than forthcoming with their plans: how they're revising potentially problematic systems ahead of release (e.g. particle effects); their demos at conventions were much longer than the 10 minute demos offered by EAware, and they're being up-front about how the game will run (e.g. micro-transaction shop). They aren't dropping bombs on us.

The best example I can think of is how SWTOR had High-resolution textures during the beta. EA knew that it wouldn't be able to support high res textures upon launch because the player count would cause the problematic HERO engine to chug, but decided to bait and switch the player base. They promised high resolution and pulled it for the release. Bait and switch.

So far, ArenaNet has an honest reputation considering their impeccable upkeep and maintenance of Guild Wars.

EA has a long, sordid, unscrupulous history of being a total dickhole company full of weasel executives.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by brody71

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/rx4yo/prepurchasing_the_collectors_edition/ 

as per ArenaNet president Mike O'Brian

It's still in beta...    Much of the game hasn't even been implemented...    Why would anyone think we were going to have an April 10th release.

We can only assume.

True, but the reason they're not being "completely open" is because they can't... they want to be sure the game's ready before announcing a release date and getting trapped into releasing a less-than-ready product. We've seem how well games go when they release to a schedule instead of release to actually being ready to release.

Yes, which is a great thing to strive for, but the same reason doesn't seem to stop them from taking in preorders come the tenth. I'd much rather have those things (drop of nda, release date announcement + preordering start) happen at the same time.

It's kind of impolite to fans I think, to start that sequence with preorders / asking for our money based on confidence votes rather than truly informed decisions and it could easily be explained as a bad sign.

Ah well, there's hoping they will atleast drop the NDA soon.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

We can only assume.

Yes, which is a great thing to strive for, but the same reason doesn't seem to stop them from taking in preorders come the tenth. I'd much rather have those things (drop of nda, release date announcement + preordering start) happen at the same time.
    It's kind of impolite to fans I think, to start that sequence with preorders / asking for our money based on confidence votes rather than truly informed decisions and it could easily be explained as a bad sign.

There will be a NDA drop on the first EME. However, the closed beta test will never have the NDA dropped, ever. Still don't see why they even had a NDA on the last CB. Only thing we never seen from it was the CS. That was it. If you seen some of the stuff from the press. You got a general idea what was in the beta. Minus a couple bugged DEs.

BOOYAKA!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

*snip*

The NDA does drop for any future beta weekends, so you've got 2 out of 3 there.

@cyress8: The obvious reason why the NDA wasn't dropped for non-press is obviously to control the flow of information. As in making sure that all the beta footage will start coming out around the same time and that certain issues that will be iterated on weren't delved into (e.g. cash shop items).

Originally posted by cyress8

*snipage*

There will be a NDA drop on the first EME. However, the closed beta test will never have the NDA dropped, ever. Still don't see why they even had a NDA on the last CB. Only thing we never seen from it was the CS. That was it. If you seen some of the stuff from the press. You got a general idea what was in the beta. Minus a couple bugged DEs.

EME, what's that? Is (Related to the Emu?)

About the stuff that was in the last beta: I think we saw only low level PVE zones and story, RVR and some structured PVP.

And I have to say that constructive criticism wasn't a determining factor of the press beta impressions; you need long term beta testers for that without any vested interests. i.e. an NDA drop and having people that played GW2 for a long time and at higher levels speak their minds will really give us a much better idea about what to expect.

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

The NDA does drop for any future beta weekends, so you've got 2 out of 3 there.

*snip*

Ah ok. A bit like SWTOR then ...

I lost faith in short beta weekends. They just serve to give people a taste of pancake, but you can only eat the top one from a huge stack while people need to know whether they will be able to keep 10 or more in their stomach without nasty complications and whether those lower ones are still as good.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by thedarkess

So Mike from Arenanet basically said that Gw2 will be released when it's ready and this beta weekends are there to determine if its ready. Nothing new.

But they are going to charge you long time before its ready.

Why a prepurchase and not a preorder?

I can tell you why, prepurchasing 2 million copies makes them €100.000.000 , and pre ordering doesnt give them a single dime.

I am still set for a late 2012 release, Oktober or so, and when everyone posts it happy comments, they.ll sell another huge numbers of copies over the hollidays.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Good thing is that those of us who pre-purchase will be able to take part in the first CB weekend, which according to common speculation is the 20th April, we will be able to report back on what we've seen (No NDA for the pre-purchase CB weekends). Those that are playing it safe won't have long to wait to hear some honest feedback about how the game plays. A lot of concerns should be addressed then, not long now folks :)

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

I remember Anet saying that the NDA will be dropped on the next beta weekend(s)

Also, i think there's a difference in having an NDA on sandbox games like Archeage and themepark games like GW2 and SWTOR.

Putting an NDA on a game like Archeage doesn't really hurt the game, because there's not really anything to spoil. Because of the sandbox element,  the game content (the enviroment, for example) will probably differ a lot at launch, and it will keep changing. They also don't really have this story to avoid getting spoiled to the playerbase.  In sandbox games, you create the content, so it doesn't matter if you see someone build some ship or castle or anything in the beta, because what you see in the beta, won't be exactly what you see in the game at launch.

But in games like GW2 and SWTOR, putting an NDA helps to still give us some surprises at launch. There's still a story that you haven't been part of yet. There will still be dungeons that you didn't try yet. There will still be new zones that you haven't seen yet. If you've already seen everything in the beta, then you won't get the same amount of joy at launch as you would if you didn't see everything yet.

Also, it looks like this is also the reason why Anet is still hiding stuff in the beta weekends. Taken from this interview: http://www.guildmag.com/eu-fanday-qa-transcription

GW2Blog.com: Hi guys! Just a little question about races, the missing races. Will these be playable in future betas, or not?

Eric Flannum: The different races, like the sylvari and the asura? We basically haven’t talked about what content we’ll have in future beta events. We do plan on expanding the content that’s available in future beta events. What we have to do is to sort of draw a line of revealing too much so that things are spoiled to people alongside trying to get more people testing various areas. We have some kind of a [team with]core testers that have access to the entire game so there’s a lot of testing going on for the game. And these beta events where we invited tons of people are more for stress testing and getting a lot of people on the areas. So we do want to keep things fresh and keep expanding the content that’s available on beta weekends, but at the same time we don’t want to get away too much, so I’m not sure exactly how we’re going to go with that. You may see additional races available, and you may not. I think there are lots of distinctions that have to be made, and we’ll be announcing those before each particular events, all the new things that are going to be available on these events, so you guys will have some warning if the sylvari and the asura become playable in the future.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Good thing is that those of us who pre-purchase will be able to take part in the first CB weekend, which according to common speculation is the 20th April, we will be able to report back on what we've seen (No NDA for the pre-purchase CB weekends). Those that are playing it safe won't have long to wait to hear some honest feedback about how the game plays. A lot of concerns should be addressed then, not long now folks :)

And on behalf of this slightly skepitcal would-be consumer, I thank you. I am skipping the pre purchase for a couple of reasons.

1. I honestly don't like to do betas anymore. I play it way too hard for progress that I just give up. It is not so important for me to play early that I need to pre buy the game.

2. I have been burned so many times with pre-purchases/orders, that I am not going to trust even the vaunted Anet.

3. The fact that pre-purchase is required, smells just too fishy to me. It makes me think that either A. They are short on capital for further development, or B. they lack confidence in their product. Could be I am completely wrong on both, I hope I am, because I want this game to rock.

4. None of the prepurchase bonuses really mean much too me, so why bother.

I will wait until the cleared NDA lets the information flow. Countering my own argument above, I would say they probably would NOT remove the NDA unless they had confidence in their product. So, I will keep my fingers crossed, but not pre-purchasing.

Though I would totally pre-order. ;-)