Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile does the Diablo franchise justice.

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

So much hate for D3, so much misinformation to, many seem to think that becuase d3 does not have skill tree's or point allocation that Blzzard have not replaced it with somthing else.  My monk still has 126 active skills I can choose from (at max level) and 15 passive skills, I can build a single target DPSer or an AOE DPSer, I can build a healer, a buffer, I can build a damage soaker or a glass cannon, I can dual weild, use a sheild, a sword.... and on and on.

Fact is if blizzard keeped the talent tree's the same people banging on about how D3 is dumbed down would be the same saying that Blizzard have just reskinned D2.. there is no winning.

Enjoy PoE I am sure its an ok game all be it slow and outdated in it's game play.  I want something a little faster and exciting and D3 gives me that.

Now lets all be nice to each other.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Having played both D3 and PoE and being a very avid D2 fan/player..

D3 is good, but PoE is better without a doubt. D3 has taken multiple steps that in turn have diluted the gameplay and mechanics and taken away choices and essentially 'dumbed down' the game. Path of Exile does the opposite and lives up the expectations of being able to truely customize your character in many different directions. One thing I liked in particular was the way they handled the flasks rather than just having people spamming potions. D3 tried to work around that issue of potion spamming but their implementation leaves a lot to be desired as again it works towards the developers obvious ambition of taking away the need to make decisions when it comes to items and character development.

So.. you'er willing to overlook those design choices that have been made with D3 I hear you say? What about there being no PvP at release? What about the obvious P2W RMT that's going to be happening? How do you think that will influence the PvP scene?

Also on another note, the early access/supporter packages got released for PoE a day or two back and from what I hear at least 5 people so far have opted to pay for the $1,000 'Diamond Supporter' package.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by uohaloran

The action RPG is almost literally defined as a shallow game.  Item hunting and what else?

Maybe but there's degrees even within that, PoE has very little substance too it, for all its outward appearance it's an extremely simple game. PoE will have its niche but it's obvious that most of the people praising PoE in this thread havn't played it much at all.

• adis5005adis5005 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Why does everyone compare to D2 when D1 is so much better? Played D3 Beta a lot and the game is amazing, dont like it, don't buy it, the milions of players playing it wont miss you.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Just took a look at PoE skil trees. It is a huge mess. Bigger != better.

For example, there are multiple "increase mana regeneration by x%" talents. Really? This is just padding. Is there a mana class NOT going to take that?

Diablo 3 has MUCH better talent design. The choices are MUCH more interesting.

PoE is just a low-cost production of a Diablo 2 wannabe. No one does Blizz games better than Blizz.

• spaker_manspaker_man Member Posts: 5

Sounds like you would have been happier with a simple tech upgrade on D2.  Some of us want more, but since you don't have interest to write at length, then I don't have interest to elaborate.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I ike Path of Exile but unfortunately it lacks funding tomake it really shine like it can. Worth playing ? Absolutely. Also Blizzard is definitely trying to capitalize on Blizzard North's great success with the Diablo franchise.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• spaker_manspaker_man Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Mephster

Also Blizzard is definitely trying to capitalize on Blizzard North's great success with the Diablo franchise.

And they should... is this a surprising concept to anyone?  How many GTAs were there?  Or Call of Duty's?

If you hit on something that's successful, you should capitalize.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Im confused, the OP says it's in open beta...when I go to their site, I have to pay 10$ to play beta. Is this incorrect?

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Decadentia

Im confused, the OP says it's in open beta...when I go to their site, I have to pay 10$ to play beta. Is this incorrect?

It's still closed beta. The $10 is like a preorder for their cash shop currency but with the bonus of a beta key... sort of. Open beta will probably be along shortly.

Edit - it's worth it btw, i took the $10 option as i'd have paid retail for this game anyway, i like it that much. It's a really good addition to the dungeon grinder type.

• StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

Since the item-shop beta I've had at least 8-10 hrs of good play time.   (Another 10 or so prior)    For $15..    If you have never playyed it,  its a D2 clone in a 3d setting and the skill tree is either interesting and full of potential or lame and far too complicated depending on who you talk to.     

I've never had the privelege to test D3 in its full extent but so far it sounds like a extremely dumbed down D2 from testers.   Funny, as I always thought D2 was an extremely dumbed down game  already!.    Is this the path I wish to "progress"? 

Personally I'd rather try to reward devs who want to give a more interesting/complex gameplay experience than competing for the lowest common denominator as Blizzard has been trying for. 

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

The game overall is alright. I've played a duelist all the way through merciless. The game only has two acts for now so its short and thus gets repetitive. A lot of the mobs are quite similar to ones found in Diablo 2. Like Diablo 2, if you don't plan your character a head of time you can mess your toon up. Like Diablo 2, its a free for all loot system, which does not encourage me to group with others at all. It's one thing I greatly disliked about D2, which is why I either played solo or with RL friends. 

The skill tree system interested me somewhat. It's very similar to Final Fantasy X's sphere grid, however it only consists of passive abilities. The way you acquire skills is through obtaining skill gems and equipping them, and having the gems gain experience and level up. There are also support gems that add increased damage, cold damage, and what not that you can use to enhance these skills. However it can get tedious, as the gems have a particular color, and must be matched to such. Often times you find a good upgrade only to be unable to use it because it doesn't have the right sockets for the skills and support you happen to be using. 

Anyways, like D2 there are cookie cutter builds for pretty much each class. There is no gold in the game. It pretty much runs on a sort of barter system. If you happen to have a great love for D2 specifically, you'll probably love the game. However, if you've played D3 beta and enjoyed it, you will most likely dislike PoE. Comparing D3 to PoE is like comparing heaven to earth imo

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by doragon86

The game overall is alright. I've played a duelist all the way through merciless. The game only has two acts for now so its short and thus gets repetitive. A lot of the mobs are quite similar to ones found in Diablo 2. Like Diablo 2, if you don't plan your character a head of time you can mess your toon up. Like Diablo 2, its a free for all loot system, which does not encourage me to group with others at all. It's one thing I greatly disliked about D2, which is why I either played solo or with RL friends. 

The skill tree system interested me somewhat. It's very similar to Final Fantasy X's sphere grid, however it only consists of passive abilities. The way you acquire skills is through obtaining skill gems and equipping them, and having the gems gain experience and level up. There are also support gems that add increased damage, cold damage, and what not that you can use to enhance these skills. However it can get tedious, as the gems have a particular color, and must be matched to such. Often times you find a good upgrade only to be unable to use it because it doesn't have the right sockets for the skills and support you happen to be using. 

Anyways, like D2 there are cookie cutter builds for pretty much each class. There is no gold in the game. It pretty much runs on a sort of barter system. If you happen to have a great love for D2 specifically, you'll probably love the game. However, if you've played D3 beta and enjoyed it, you will most likely dislike PoE. Comparing D3 to PoE is like comparing heaven to earth imo

It will have a different more advanced loot system when the game is ready for release. Its only FFA because the real system is not yet finished.

You can change minor things in your build. But you are not intended to be able to change the whole build fast and easy.

If D2 and PoE belong to the exact same genre D3 is a somewhat different subgenre. With more focus on action and less on character building. And, of course, some old D2 veterans will like PoE more because of that. Other players that like action games in general will think D3 is better.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Decadentia

It's still closed beta. The $10 is like a preorder for their cash shop currency but with the bonus of a beta key... sort of. Open beta will probably be along shortly.

Edit - it's worth it btw, i took the $10 option as i'd have paid retail for this game anyway, i like it that much. It's a really good addition to the dungeon grinder type.

totally not worth 10 bucks! the game is horrible! all it is trying to play off your nostalgia. It is a mix mash of a few games and as shallow as they come.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

It's nice to be so right all the time.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Impulse47

Don't have enough time or interest to write a lengthy review here, so I'll summarize:

Diablo 3 - Terrible departure from what made the series awesome by a dev team who clearly never played Diablo 2 and is just abusing the franchise for its name.

Path of Exile - Awesome throwback to the earlier games made by a group of diehard Diablo 2 fans which only makes adjustments where adjustments were needed.

It's in open beta right now.  Try it.  I know it's hard realizing that a game you have waited several years for is going to suck (I share in your pain), but it's time to move on.

Path of Exile is the true Diablo 3.

No, Diablo 3 does the Diablo franchise justice.  

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Grim Dawn looks just as solid as Path of Exile. Those two games look to bring back a ton of features that Diablo 3 failed to have.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Grim Dawn looks just as solid as Path of Exile. Those two games look to bring back a ton of features that Diablo 3 failed to have.

This! Not ot mention Path of Exile is just so much better than Diablo 3 in every way. Ofcourse looking forward to seeing more Grim Dawn. :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

I have both games sitting on my computer, and I like them both, but I prefer PoE. In fact, as soon as I don't have to worry about my characters getting wiped in PoE (after open beta), I imagine it will consume all my ARPG time, at least until Grim Dawn comes out. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

POS, sorry POE, has too many dealbreakers to be more than another failed D2 Clone.  The potential is there, but they've held on to some bad tropes from D2.  It also has the dullest combat of any ARPG I've ever played.  The passive "skill" tree and rune based skills are a major step back for the genre.  The art direction is boring and uninspired.  It will be left in the dust as TL2 and Lineage Eternal offer much more to ARPG fans looking for a polished modern game.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

This! Not ot mention Path of Exile is just so much better than Diablo 3 in every way. Ofcourse looking forward to seeing more Grim Dawn. :)

The funny thing is, someone could buy POE, TL1+2, and Grim Dawn (all four of them) for the same price as the Diablo 3 regular edition.... seems like a better deal to do this IMO.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

PoE is worth playing, but it needs some major improvements. The passive skill tree has way too much filler, the enemies are bland and uninspired, and depending upon the RNG for skills to 'drop' is just silly.

It's nowhere near up to level with games like D3 and TL2.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

PoE is worth playing, but it needs some major improvements. The passive skill tree has way too much filler, the enemies are bland and uninspired, and depending upon the RNG for skills to 'drop' is just silly.

It's nowhere near up to level with games like D3 and TL2.

I would say D3 also need some major improvements. But since some of those problems are related to the RMAH I doubt they will be fixed. PoE may not be perfect but I think they really are trying to make a fun game.

• halojahaloja Member Posts: 4

The funny thing is, someone could buy POE, TL1+2, and Grim Dawn (all four of them) for the same price as the Diablo 3 regular edition.... seems like a better deal to do this IMO.

PoE, TL2 and GD do the diablo franchise justice

Yes, PoE need more improvement  but the majorities of their problems are working in progress right now

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Sorry OP

TQ > POE.

It has multi-classing, plus there is a mod available for a whole bunch of new classes. The endless stream of possible gimp builds has already been done...and that was years ago.

I really want to like POE, I do. If I put it up against D3 today, its just not different enough to keep me for any length of time. I bought into beta, played for awhile. I find it slow in play and the skill tree unnecessarily complex in structure.

I like D3 because I hop in, make some quick skill choices, and maybe get lucky on some gear drops. That's it. If I want to go deep into class combinations and make something interesting, that's what TQ is for....AND it gives me an offline option for when there is no internet around.

POE = too late. Whatever I need ARPG-wise, I can get from the aforementioned titles. POE is just not unique (or well done) enough.

Still, if you are a young-ish ARPG'r, POE is def worth a look.