Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New York State Bans Sex Offenders From Online Gaming

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Its not jsut online gaming thats the problem, its sites like facebook where these young people are posting pictures of themsleves (often scantilly clad), without knowing the majority of the people that are going to see them.......From my understanding way more are lured through social networking sites than through gaming......

• KalimniKalimni Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Originally posted by Kalimni
    something I haven't seen mentioned: the article states that about 3500 sex offenders will be banned..... That is certainly not all the sex offenders in NY. That probably wouldn't cover all the sex offenders in Albany. So it sounds to me as if they are taking the specific crime into account.
    True, but my (sarcastically made) point earlier was that truly dangerous sex offenders (ones worth banning from online games) shouldn't be out running around in the first place. They should either be fried up extra crispy by Ol' Sparky, or spend the rest of their lives as a cheap labor force so we at least get some use out of their continued existence.
    And I think some people did bring your point up earlier, but I'm not sure. I just skimmed everything up to the last page, heh.

I didnt read all the posts either. Phone wont go to the second page for some reason *shrug*

also agree with the other poster about the death penalty for rapists and such. Not for the teachers though (assuming public school) they should just have licence revoked, and forfeit all retirement. If its a private uni or something, then they can basically teach whatever the school lets them.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Sorrow

Technically there needs to be more distinction in Sex offender classifications.

Personally imo any adult ( 21+) that engages in sex with anyone 16 or younger should warrant the death penalty.

Anyone who engages in sex with anyone against thier will should warrant the death penalty.

But then I think their are many crimes that deserve the death penalty.

All these corrupt executives, bankers, wall street types, politicians, should be put to death and have every penny taken from thier estates and given back to thier victims.

Any of these facist teachers, teaching marxist retoric and anti-american sentiment should be convicted as the traitors they are and put to death. We've convicted people of treason and excuted them for less that most teachers say and do now.

Frankly if we made the penalty death, most of these wrongs would stop, but as long as we pussy foot around and even if we do convict someone we just send them to a federal country club with swimming pools and golf courses.

Wow.  That's beyond stupid.  

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by terrant

Personally imo any adult ( 21+) that engages in sex with anyone 16 or younger should warrant the death penalty.

Anyone who engages in sex with anyone against thier will should warrant the death penalty.

All these corrupt executives, bankers, wall street types, politicians, should be put to death and have every penny taken from thier estates and given back to thier victims.

Any of these facist teachers, teaching marxist retoric and anti-american sentiment should be convicted as the traitors they are and put to death. We've convicted people of treason and excuted them for less that most teachers say and do now.

Frankly if we made the penalty death, most of these wrongs would stop, but as long as we pussy foot around and even if we do convict someone we just send them to a federal country club with swimming pools and golf courses.

Wow. You just...dive right into the deep end. Wow.

Just a side note about that Anti-American rhetoric...last I looked, our founding fathers wanted us to question authoirty when we didn't think it was doing the right thing, and fight for our right to speak our beliefs without persecution from the government. Just wondering who's really anti-American here.

Totally with you on rapists and corrupt types though.

I am not saying for a second that it is not ok to question, or that it is not ok to disagree. I am a firm believer in I may not agree with what you say, but I will die for your right to say it. 

However, teachers as teachers have a resposibility as teachers,  I do not mind if they put all the information out there and unbiasedly let the kids decided for themselves, but sadly these days most teachers have this agenda that is so far to the left as to be blatantly treasonous.  You can not have teachers intentionally poisoning the minds of entire generations against the entire concept of freedom and democracy, it is having a terrible effect and needs to end.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Great. Now if they would just ban them from holding political or religious office or the U.N.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Caause having sex with kids is ok? Or you don't deem the offense heinous enough to warrant death?

Originally posted by Theocritus

Its not jsut online gaming thats the problem, its sites like facebook where these young people are posting pictures of themsleves (often scantilly clad), without knowing the majority of the people that are going to see them.......From my understanding way more are lured through social networking sites than through gaming......

Social media sites were all developed by corrupt government entities wanting to compile as much information on each of us as they possibly could and most of us stupidly put every aspect of every part of our lives out there in one form or another.

Just saying...

just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I am not saying for a second that it is not ok to question, or that it is not ok to disagree. I am a firm believer in I may not agree with what you say, but I will die for your right to say it. 

However, teachers as teachers have a resposibility as teachers,  I do not mind if they put all the information out there and unbiasedly let the kids decided for themselves, but sadly these days most teachers have this agenda that is so far to the left as to be blatantly treasonous.  You can not have teachers intentionally poisoning the minds of entire generations against the entire concept of freedom and democracy, it is having a terrible effect and needs to end.

I think that's fairly biased and inaccurate itself..and even for those teacher out there that go WAY too far left, there's many that go WAY too far right. And are just as "treasonous" as you put it. As someone that tries to remain well centered, both sides fill me with amusement and dread. I'll agree to presenting all sides of an argument as best you can and letting the kids make a rational decision though. Maybe part of the reason we have people growing up unable to make decent choices is no one lets them try while they're young.

• KalimniKalimni Member UncommonPosts: 74

I dont think that government actively developed social networking, but Im sure they co-opted the platforfms and use them for shady purposes.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Bama1267

Caause having sex with kids is ok? Or you don't deem the offense heinous enough to warrant death?

You realize most murders, most first degree murders do not warrant the death penalty under our current system right?  If you think anything is worse than murder, then you are too dumb to converse with.  I'm not saying your view would be uncommon, but stupidity is incredibly common these days.  Nothing beats death, that's why people want the death penalty for bad stuff, but you can't have people kill people and get away with it, people torture people, people steal billions of dollars, and have them get off easier than pedos. 

Typically you consider the harm done, and you can punish them separately for violence and other offenses perpetrated, but for the sexuality aspect of it, most studies indicate little to no long term psychological effects.  Obviously it's just bad and evil to take advantage of the young, even the act itself separate from the psychological parts certainly 'feels' like it's wrong, but once again, the harm is fairly limited outside of aggrevated factors, and that is usually how we consider how serious a crime is. 

And take the closest other offense, rape.  Rapists never get death, not even close, most won't serve a decade of time.  You can reply that you think everyone who does x y and z deserves death, but that puts you way out in the fringe.

Pedos are bad, but it's the disgust factor that pushes people to viewpoints that are simply illogical in how we deal with them in the justice system.   Like even in prison, murderers are treated with respect, while pedos get shanked.  It's just so effed up, if you agree with violent retards in prison, you need to re-assess.  We need to transcend raw emotion and disgust when it comes to treating people appropriately.

Originally posted by Bama1267

Wow, nice leap in logic there.  First of all, I could think that having sex with kids is the worst thing imaginable (and I pretty much do), but that doesn't necessarily mean I should automatically want the offender executed.  It all depends on where you stand on the death penalty.   For me personally, I do believe there are some things that deserve capital punishment.  Murder is one of them.  Sexual abuse of children is another, but where do we draw the line on what is acceptable?  Jerry Sandusky rape of young boys?  Sure, fry him, I say.  That scum doesn't deserve to live.  

But either you didn't read Sorrow's post, or you are just responding without thinking.  Look at the examples she gave of people that DO deserve the death penalty:

A 21 year old having sex with a 16 year old.  I'm all for locking up the 21 year old, but death?  For a difference of 5 years in age?   I know she said 21 and over, but if we're going to have an age limit for this kind of crime, we might as well take the one with the largest gray area.  So a 21 year old man has sex with a girl 5 years younger than him, who maybe happens to be his girlfriend because at 21 years of age, maybe he's not the most mature person in the world.  Death Penalty.  Really?  Why not just send him to jail? 

Rape?  Death Penalty?  I can buy that one on prinicipal, but not practicality.  I think rapists are scum.  But considering how difficult it is to determine if someone has been raped, and how often these rape cases become either too difficult to prove, or have too much of a gray area, is this one we really want to guess on?  

Corrupt executives, wall street types, and politicians?  Death penalty???  For white collar crime?  Am I okay with longer jail sentences?  Absolutely.  Am I okay with life in jail if what they did was bad enough and affected enough people?  Sure.  But death?  

And holy shit...teachers that teach anti-American rhetoric?  Death penalty?  How about just fire them from their jobs?  Isn't America "supposed" to be the country where people are allowed to voice their beliefs, even if it's not shared by everyone?  Do we kill the flag burners too?  

So, maybe now you understand why I, with all due respect to Sorrow, called her post beyond stupid.  That sounds more like Nazi Germany than any country I'd want to live in.  

You can not have teachers intentionally poisoning the minds of entire generations against the entire concept of freedom and democracy, it is having a terrible effect and needs to end.

I'm not sure you understand the irony of putting people to death for speaking out against freedom and democracy. 

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Originally posted by raradra

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by DarkPony

Hmm, good or bad depends on your definition of "sex offender".

Looking how anal (no pun intended) sex offenses can be in the US I don't think this is such a great idea. Not sure about this but I once read an article about a 21ish year old guy having a normal relationship with a 17 year old girl and that making him a sex offender as well. I think that is slightly draconic, but whatever ...

They should only restrict this to the actual "predators", who have been convicted for stalking and trying to groom minors (or worse).

um, yeah a 21 year old with a 17yr old is considered rape.   and the 21yr old would be considered, and is a predator.   the 17yr is a minor.

this is true in the US? Or does it depend on state?

wow, didnt know that. In the UK this would be perfectally legal.

The problem is, it's worse than this. From personal experience I was 16 and my boyfriend was 17 then turned 18. We'd been together for well over a year but when we got caught having sex he was charged with rape regardless of it being consentual. He would have been on a sex ofender list for life had my parents not dropped the charges.

They really need to be careful who they apply these laws to.

This is legal in the UK as Age of consent is 16.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by terrant

Wow. You just...dive right into the deep end. Wow.

Just a side note about that Anti-American rhetoric...last I looked, our founding fathers wanted us to question authoirty when we didn't think it was doing the right thing, and fight for our right to speak our beliefs without persecution from the government. Just wondering who's really anti-American here.

Totally with you on rapists and corrupt types though.

I understand the emotional response to the topic, but wow.  Good thing this thinking didn't take place 70-80 years ago, I wouldn't be alive.  3 of my 4 sets of great grandparents had a situation where my great grandmother was 16 and my great grandfather was in his mid 20s.  Of course, they were married at those ages and thus that makes sex alright.  

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned is that since different states have different ages of concent, you can get into some really screwy situations.  Some states it is 16 others 17 and yet others 18.  Seventeen is the most common age of consent in the U.S.  The problem gets to be if you are say 21 dating a 17 year old in one state, and take a trip to another state you could end up breaking the law and not even knowing it.  I don't know about most people, but I don't really look up the differences in the laws between the state I'm living in and one I'm taking a trip to.  

I think that the biggest problem I have with this is that many states will put children on trial for "adult crimes."  Yet if they have sex with someone older than them, then they are deemed a minor in need of protection.  Which is it?  Are they an adult, or a child?  We will put them on trial as an adult, but If someone over a certain age has sex with them we see them as a child.  

• plzignoremeplzignoreme Member Posts: 12

It's a good effort, but the problem is that being a sex offender doesn't imply that you are a potential predator:

Walk around nude in a park when you thought nobody was looking? Sex offender.

Publicly urinate, because you couldn't hold it? Sex offender.

Have sex with a legal adult and get caught in public? Sex offender.

Have sex with somebody who is over 16, lied about his/her age, but happens to be under 18, which is the minimum for consensual sex in that particular state? Sex offender and jail time.

Take naked photographs of your family members, since you're a nudist? Sex offender.

Own naked photographs of family members? Sex offender.

Have any naked pictures of children, regardless of whether they are exploitative or art? Sex offender.

The list goes on and on and on..

Most sex offenders in America would not be sex offenders in other countries.

Originally posted by plzignoreme

It's a good effort, but the problem is that being a sex offender doesn't imply that you are a potential predator:

Have sex with somebody who is over 16, lied about his/her age, but happens to be under 18, which is the minimum for consensual sex in that particular state? Sex offender and jail time.

Take naked photographs of your family members, since you're a nudist? Sex offender.

Have any naked pictures of children, regardless of whether they are exploitative or art? Sex offender.

This goes for a lot of non-violent crimes as well.  Other than violent crimes committed most criminals in the U.S. wouldn't be criminals in other countries.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

This goes for a lot of non-violent crimes as well.  Other than violent crimes committed most criminals in the U.S. wouldn't be criminals in other countries.

Quick story about Violent crimes in the US, Lady attack her husband with a knife trying to kill said man, he gets lucky and disarms her with one light wounds to himself, not wanting to hurt his wife he hold her to the floor till the cops arrive and can take her in to custody, give you one guess who has to go to anger managment class or jail, yep its not the wife.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Uhm, if a Sex Offender lets say buys WoW. Uses fake names and different emails to register, and only uses pre-paid cards to renew subs. How will he be stopped?

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Originally posted by gaugemew

Online games have had EULA's that allow them to ban anyone they feel like for a good decade now.  So the argument that this is just a means to ban anyone they want is stupid.

As for the the OP.  I think it's a good idea.  Online tools are generally how people pray on young girls, or sometimes boys.  It becomes much harder to pray in your own neighborhood.  I wish it would have limits other than sex offender though.  Such as specifying what t ypes of sex offenders.  Such as pedo' and rapists.

I totally know what you mean!  I am always trying to pray at my local church, and it is so difficult!

On another note, reading some of the bile on this thread was terrible.  Especially from people like Gazenthia, who have no business spewing their brand of hate on these boards.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Kalmarth

Quick story about Violent crimes in the US, Lady attack her husband with a knife trying to kill said man, he gets lucky and disarms her with one light wounds to himself, not wanting to hurt his wife he hold her to the floor till the cops arrive and can take her in to custody, give you one guess who has to go to anger managment class or jail, yep its not the wife.

yay for completely anecdotal and unsubstantiated claims

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

Originally posted by kobie173

yay for completely anecdotal and unsubstantiated claims

After I complete my anger management I got a divorce a year later, but you do what the courts tell you or jail so I did the anger management, and yes I was angry, angry about the cops siding with attacker not the victim, but as far as they are concerned I should of let her kill me. *shurgs* such is life I guess

Originally posted by niceguy3978

True Story!!!

My grandmother had a paroled rapist break into her house, she beat him with a baseball bat before he could do anytrhing to her.  Not only did my grandmother get an assult charge criminally, the guy sued her civilally and won as well.

Because he had not actually touched her before she defended herself she comitted the crime, even though he broke in her house.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by DarkPony

Hmm, good or bad depends on your definition of "sex offender".

Looking how anal (no pun intended) sex offenses can be in the US I don't think this is such a great idea. Not sure about this but I once read an article about a 21ish year old guy having a normal relationship with a 17 year old girl and that making him a sex offender as well. I think that is slightly draconic, but whatever ...

They should only restrict this to the actual "predators", who have been convicted for stalking and trying to groom minors (or worse).

I remember reading an article about a woman that had sex with her boyfriend who was only a few months younger than her.  She was just over the age of consent and he was just under and she was convicted on a law that no longer even exists today (she's 30 now).  Most of the laws today are a bit more sensible and take the age of the offender into account as well.  Anyway she's trying to get her name off the list on account of the fact that the law she broke no longer exists.