Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why do people play single player mmorpgs

when you can play skyrim, oblivion, morrowind. im digging out these badboys and im gonna play em all.

- no one can gank me

- solable

- best gear available to everyone

- can play on ezymode

why dont all the themeparkers just play single player rpgs. if you want story and soloing, single player rpgs are made just for you. there isnt a single mmorpg out there that beats TES series at being a RPG. if you like RPG so much go play them, why do you want mmorpgs to play like SRPGs?

if you like pvp you could play LoL or DoTA or something like that. 

what im trying to say is that modern themeparks are a combination of poorly done singleplayer RPG + poorly done instanced PVP. why not just play skyrim +DoTA 2. thats what i plan on doing until a proper mmorpg is released.

Comments

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

There are some people who refuse to group no matter what, just as there are people who insist on grouping no matter what.

The rest of us?  We like to have both.  I've played "forced grouping" MMO's before (like FF11) and they all have pretty much the same issue.  If you are unable to get a group, there's pretty much nothing you can really do.  So, what we demand is the ability to do something worthwhile when grouping isn't an option for whatever reason.  

The biggest problem is that games have swung too far in the other direction where grouping is no longer even viable unless you are running an instance.

Personally, I'd simply prefer games to have 2x content.  One set of content that is group based, one set that is solo based.  

So, lets take SWTOR for example.  There's very little group content in the game unless you queue up for an instance, or you have one of the very few group quests that exist on each planet.  Instead I'd rather see the game have 2 planets for each level range, one being full of solo content, one being full of Group content.  If you want to run group content you simply head over to the appropriate planet and run it.  If you want to solo, you avoid it like the plague.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

This reminds me of the saying

- We tend to see people and things not as they are, but as we are.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by Starpower

im actually waiting for a good sandbox mmorpg and i hate soloing. youre saying is stupid.

when i play a mmorpg i really want to be able to notice the MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE PART. i mean thats what i am paying $15/month for right?

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by bishbosh

when you can play skyrim, oblivion, morrowind. im digging out these badboys and im gonna play em all.

- no one can gank me

- solable

- can play on ezymode

why dont all the themeparkers just play single player rpgs. if you want story and soloing, single player rpgs are made just for you.

you forgot all the player made mods.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by robert4818

There are some people who refuse to group no matter what, just as there are people who insist on grouping no matter what.

The rest of us?  We like to have both.  I've played "forced grouping" MMO's before (like FF11) and they all have pretty much the same issue.  If you are unable to get a group, there's pretty much nothing you can really do.  So, what we demand is the ability to do something worthwhile when grouping isn't an option for whatever reason.  

The biggest problem is that games have swung too far in the other direction where grouping is no longer even viable unless you are running an instance.

Personally, I'd simply prefer games to have 2x content.  One set of content that is group based, one set that is solo based.  

So, lets take SWTOR for example.  There's very little group content in the game unless you queue up for an instance, or you have one of the very few group quests that exist on each planet.  Instead I'd rather see the game have 2 planets for each level range, one being full of solo content, one being full of Group content.  If you want to run group content you simply head over to the appropriate planet and run it.  If you want to solo, you avoid it like the plague.

And there would be 2 people in the group planet yelling Marco and Polo at each other and tons of people on the solo planet camping the bosses.  Not right but I would almost bet money on it and I don't gamble.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

With a mmorpg, the player can interact with other players (chat, hang out) when they're bored with playing by themselves.  The game could even be considered an elaborate chat room.

There's no chance of that happening with a pure single player game.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I'd go with this, but would prefer(at least to try) group=easy, solo=hard type content rather than 2 sets of content.

well if you cant find a group in a mmorpg why not just play a srpg until there is a group available? why are people so happy to compromise the mmo part of mmorpgs? look at what we have now, all the big mmorpgs are single player games with a 3d interactive lobby.

ideally you should always be able to find a group in a mmorpg. if you cant it is extremely poorly designed. adding singleplayer content just seems like a huge shortcut. kind of like what blizzard did with d3; rather than balancing stats correctly they just removed them because "in d2 stats were pointless"

im actually waiting for a good sandbox mmorpg and i hate soloing. youre saying is stupid.

doesnt mean i cant appreciate single player rpgs. its just that when i play a mmorpg, i really want to be able to notice the MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE PART. i mean thats what i am paying $15/month for right

That's because you don't have the mental capacity to grasp it much like your OP

no im pretty sure i grasped, it just that you arewrong.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

doesnt mean i cant appreciate single player rpgs. its just that when i play a mmorpg, i really want to be able to notice the MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE PART. i mean thats what i am paying $15/month for right

Then explain it to me

While you are at it you can also explain why solo players affect you on a personal level. Did somebody turn you down recently that got you bummed out?

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Why do people do what they enjoy? Because they enjoy it.  There's no need to explain or justify it.

i enjoy trying to explain/justify why people enjoy things (especially when you can play far superior single player rpgs if thats the gameplay you are after)

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Sometimes I feel grumpy and don't want to be around people, but yet I need to finish this one thing....

I know, not logical....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

Then explain it to me

While you are at it you can also explain why solo players affect you on a personal level. Did somebody turn you down recently that got you bummed out?

ok i see what this is about. you are a solo player and you see this thread as a personal attack. calm down, i dont hate you, i have nothing against u personally.  i just find that it doesnt make sense that you play mmorpgs for solo content when mmorpgs provide extremely poor solo content compared to single player rpgs.

[Mod Edit]

Originally posted by Wolvards

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Why do people do what they enjoy? Because they enjoy it.  There's no need to explain or justify it.

i enjoy trying to explain/justify why people enjoy things (especially when you can play far superior single player rpgs if thats the gameplay you are after)

[Mod Edit]

1.the thing is there is no sense of accomplishment by doing group based events as a single person because there are no group based events (except raids)

2. raids cannot be done by a single person

3. even if there was a group based event that you soloed it would be because 

• you are overlevelled

• you are exploting, cheating, hacking

• you grinded months for OP gear

• the game is just really easy

if you get a sense of accomplishment from doing the above you have issues. im sorry but pve content in themepark mmorpgs i all about having good gear/level and the right build. these things are acheieved by google+grinding. nothing to be proud of.

• NiffiNiffi Member Posts: 36

Why are there players, who want to tell other people, how to play?

There are many reasons, to play alone in an mmorpg (instead of playing an SRPG):

1.) Its an RPG. If i want to play the lone wolf, i can play it and the other players help me with this, because, i can avoid the,.

2.) Many SRPGs have a story-line, you have to do and there is an ending in these games. An MMoRPG will never end and you are free to do, what you want.

3.) You can compare directly with other players.

4.) If i play in a group, i have a responsibility and if i would do something wrong, bad things could happen to other groupmembers. If i play alone, there is not so much pressure and i neednt trst other players.

5.) I guess there are many more reasons. ;)

If you play a game, how you want to play it, you have to accept, that there are players, playing it a different way (of course as long as they respect the rules). You cant tell people, how to play!

Greets Niffi

Originally posted by Niffi

Why are there players, who want to tell other people, how to play?

There are many reasons, to play alone in an mmorpg (instead of playing an SRPG):

1.) Its an RPG. If i want to play the lone wolf, i can play it and the other players help me with this, because, i can avoid the,.

2.) Many SRPGs have a story-line, you have to do and there is an ending in these games. An MMoRPG will never end and you are free to do, what you want.

3.) You can compare directly with other players.

4.) If i play in a group, i have a responsibility and if i would do something wrong, bad things could happen to other groupmembers. If i play alone, there is not so much pressure and i neednt trst other players.

5.) I guess there are many more reasons. ;)

If you play a game, how you want to play it, you have to accept, that there are players, playing it a different way (of course as long as they respect the rules). You cant tell people, how to play!

Greets Niffi

1. nothing wrong with playing the lone wolf. this thread is about the whole genre about being everyone playing the lone wolf and games being designed for single player gameplay... being the lone wolf no longer means anything in modern themeparks

2. i dont really consider kill X of Y to be something do to.

3. compare who spent more time mob X for faction Y rep?

4. singleplayers rpgs are excellent

5. i guess this means there are NOT actually many more reasons

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

- no one can gank me

- solable

- can play on ezymode

why dont all the themeparkers just play single player rpgs. if you want story and soloing, single player rpgs are made just for you. there isnt a single mmorpg out there that beats TES series at being a RPG. if you like RPG so much go play them, why do you want mmorpgs to play like SRPGs?

While I agree that the three you mention are quite good games, they are also solo ONLY. When I play a game I like the chance to play with friends OR solo if the need arises. Since my time in game is MINE, I will make of it what I wish to make of it. If I can not play solo in an MMORPG then I will not have much reason to play such a game. However, if when my friends are around and willing in a MMORPG and we all wish to play I can. If my friends are not around, I can still play without them. It makes more sense to allow BOTH.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I can only get 100 playing hours in skyrim and the game is over.  I can get potentialy thousands of playing hours in mmorpg.  That's the big difference to me. 

Originally posted by laokoko

I can only get 100 playing hours in skyrim and the game is over.  I can get potentialy thousands of playing hours in mmorpg.  That's the big difference to me. 

most mmorpgs ive played dont really hold me for 1 hour. generally the ones that have held me for longer have been because i have been gridning for some stupid shiny-then i realise what im doing is not fun at all.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by Gruug

- no one can gank me

- solable

- can play on ezymode

While I agree that the three you mention are quite good games, they are also solo ONLY. When I play a game I like the chance to play with friends OR solo if the need arises. Since my time in game is MINE, I will make of it what I wish to make of it. If I can not play solo in an MMORPG then I will not have much reason to play such a game. However, if when my friends are around and willing in a MMORPG and we all wish to play I can. If my friends are not around, I can still play without them. It makes more sense to allow BOTH.

Wouldn't the Diablo 3 type of online be more preferable to you than a straight up MMO then?

- no one can gank me

- solable

- can play on ezymode

do you find that modern mmorpgs cater to your multiplayer needs (playing when friends are online). the only group content there really is running dungeons and they get boring after 0-2 times. you generally only do them for gear, not for fun.

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

- no one can gank me

- solable

- can play on ezymode

Wouldn't the Diablo 3 type of online be more preferable to you than a straight up MMO then?

yeh diablo 3 should be perfect.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

- no one can gank me

- solable

- can play on ezymode

if you like pvp you could play LoL or DoTA or something like that. 

what im trying to say is that modern themeparks are a combination of poorly done singleplayer RPG + poorly done instanced PVP. why not just play skyrim +DoTA 2. thats what i plan on doing until a proper mmorpg is released.

Do you think the people who leavs the games when they reach the endgame in resent mmo's are harming the games? Most of those just cansel the game and move on without complaining. Those people actually suport the games by buying it. Look at Swtor,70% of the people who bought the game did cancel,what if they never bought it? Developer would have lost many $.

• NiffiNiffi Member Posts: 36

1. nothing wrong with playing the lone wolf. this thread is about the whole genre about being everyone playing the lone wolf and games being designed for single player gameplay... being the lone wolf no longer means anything in modern themeparks

2. i dont really consider kill X of Y to be something do to.

3. compare who spent more time mob X for faction Y rep?

4. singleplayers rpgs are excellent

5. i guess this means there are NOT actually many more reasons

1.) I dont think, all games are going this way. And the most games, which are doing, are dying.

2.) Crafting, skins, explore the world etc. there is so much to do in a modern mmorpg, not only questing and leveling.

3.) look at 2.)

4.) I guess, nearly no player is playing everytime alone, but they want to play sometimes alone and than this is a reason.

5.) Of course, but im too tired to think on others and you have to ask someone, who is playing often alone. Personally i need someone to play with. ;)

In my opinion you see it too "black and white". There arent many players, who play everytime alone. But there are many players, who want to play sometimes alone and sometimes in group.

And read, what i wrote, too: Only because you think, SRPGs are great, that doesnt mean, that everyone thinks this way. Personally i get as fast bored from them, like you from many MMoRPGs. Youre writing like "i am right and youre not!".

Greets Niffi

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

It should be an automatic, immediate permaban to post an "I don't like x so why does anyone else like x" thread.

Sheesh, you'd think people over the age of 8 would understand that people have different tastes. Oh, wait. Maybe that's the issue here.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil