Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Common MMO forum clich

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Originally posted by DarkPony

"why do males play female characters?"

"If I have to looking at the backside of a character for so much time, it better be a good looking one"

I am sorry, but it is true...

If I am going to spend a lot of time looking at someones rear view, it might as well be one that resembles a woman. :)

Oh and...

"iB4 {insert witty keyword}"

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

'No one really liked any game pre-WoW, you're just looking through rose colored glasses' - Despite the fact that many of those systems people enjoyed are still around and enjoyed today although spread amongst 10+ various games rather than all under one roof, 13-15 years later.

'You'll never love another MMO as much as your first!' - Bull. My first MMO was Ok, I loved my second, quit my third to return to my second, quit my second when I fell in love with my 4th...and on and on...

People suffering from the inability to consider concepts foreign to them in depth and honestly seem overly attracted to cliches and any clever single sentence remark that can neatly sum up and categorize complicated scenarios that are more than black and white. It's an easy and convenient way for them to avoid doing any homework or analysis of their own.

Surely if something sounds zippy and witty it must be bullet-proof wisdom pre-packaged and ready for deployment in any thread!

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

"Game X has this many subs today. Game Y only had that many subs way back before gaming was mainstream. So game X must be better!"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

"There's no innovation in today's games". Followed by "Why can't they make a game like x or y".

That one drives me up the wall. :)

There's no innovation in today's games.

What about game A?

That's space. I don;t like space.

Ok, what about game B?

It's all solo play.

Ok, then game C and D?

I don't like the art style

Alright, how about E?

It doesn't have an auction house, a STAPLE of modern MMOs!

Game F?

It's 2D

Game G

Anime sucks

Is there something in particular you are looking for in a game?

[favorite game] was perfect. I don't see why devs don't just make a new game with all the features everyone loved from [favorite game].

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

"why do males play female characters?"

"If I have to looking at the backside of a character for so much time, it better be a good looking one"

I am sorry, but it is true...

If I am going to spend a lot of time looking at someones rear view, it might as well be one that resembles a woman. :)

Oh and...

"iB4 {insert witty keyword}"

Yeah I know, but clichés often are true :)

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

L2P

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

In reply to an existing MMO issue:

"i've solved that problem in my game" or "That's not an issue in my game"

referring to a game that exists solely in their mind or on scraps of paper next to their computer. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    "Games are about fun"
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by Starpower

"You can have your death penalty. Just delete your character when you die. It's the same thing"
    "If you like playing solo then why not just play a singleplayer game while having iirc chat open. It's the same thing"
    "If you want a bigger challenge then play blindfolded, the game is fine as it is"

Hehe.

You can add "If you don't like teleporting, then don't use it!" to that list.

All these are very true.
  • SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

"Developers make bad games intentionally to get rich."

... WHAT!?!?

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I wonder whether someone has made a post yet with only a link to a random youtube video in it.

:)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Larsa

I wonder whether someone has made a post yet with only a link to a random youtube video in it.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Thanks. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Probably already been said....

XFIRE numbers are meaningless

I've been playing MMORPG's for XX years and don't use XFIRE

Only children use XFIRE

"Real" Gamers don't use XFIRE

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

"breaks my immersion"

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

"Socializing is dead" followed by "I refuse to use VOIP programs".

I actually don't know - haven't even met - anyone who uses crossfire - or Xfire for that matter. I must be lucky.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by Quirhid

"Socializing is dead" followed by "I refuse to use VOIP programs".

I actually don't know - haven't even met - anyone who uses crossfire - or Xfire for that matter. I must be lucky.

Well, I personally don't know anyone who uses XFire, not even my son and his friends, but someone seems to.

(I don't get out much though, Facebook is still a fad to me) image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This thread has turned from 'cliches' into 'anything I have ever heard someone, even one, person say on these forums and can use as a way to snipe at someone else in a self superior smug way'.

Time to let it go?

After all, it's not like anyone who posts here is vastly original... The vast majority just parrot whatever 'pro' opinion it is fashionable to have at any given time and most even use tired borrowed memmes on a regular basis to be one of the cool kids.

Folks in glass houses, and all that cliched stuff.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by Vesavius

This thread has turned from 'cliches' into 'anything I have ever heard someone, even one, person say on these forums and can use as a way to snipe at someone else in a self superior smug way'.

Time to let it go?

After all, it's not like anyone who posts here is vastly original... The vast majority just parrot whatever 'pro' opinion it is fashionable to have at any given time and most even use tired borrowed memmes on a regular basis to be one of the cool kids.

Folks in glass houses, and all that cliched stuff.

Looks like someone wants to feel superior too.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

"nothing new"

blah blah blah "rose colored glasses"

blah blah "themepark" blah blah "sandbox"

"games should be fun"

"dumbed down"

blah blah blah "that has meaning"

"depth" (ironically almost always meaning tons of rather meaningless & slight variations, but hey, its got BIG quantifiable numbers!)

"risk vs. reward"

"consequences"

"gotta work to appreciate anything"

"doesn't get good until level" blah

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

"i stopped reading right there"

because blah blah blah "i'm scratching this game off my list"

"as soon as i saw" blah blah blah "i uninstalled the game"

"you don't want a" blah blah "go play an FPS"   (might as well say to go play Parcheesi)

"today's gamers won't stand for" blah blah

Corpus Callosum    

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

"I didn't like the game, so the game is crap and there's no way that anybody else can have fun in it, or if they do they're idiots."

I think that's the most seen statement on these forums in all its many variants: people who dislike a game who're completely unable to understand that if they didn't like it, other people might still have an awesome fun gaming experience in it. That's one bridge too far for many.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

There's too many good ones here, rofl.

2 big ones:

"Game X is dying..." = hold all headlines this just in! - forums

"The next WoW Killer." = The kiss of death. image - journalists

"This is going to be AAAA, Triple-X, Bleeding-edge, Next-Gen MMORPG that will appeal to everyone" = we badly need this game to make some helluva money, just look at wow's 12m subs *slurps*! - developers

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

"Popular games are popular purely because they have superior game mechanics."

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

mmo vet  - what does this even mean ?