Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this game had a subscription fee it would fail.

1235»

Comments

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by Zezda

I would still buy and and pay as much as £15 a month to play GW2, even if it had the current Cash Shop store.

I however cannot bring myself to play another MMO such as AoC/WAR/AION/EQ2/WoW/RIFT/SW:TOR and in fact they would need to pay *me* before I even stop laughing at the idea.

Guess you were wrong in your assumptions then.

Exactly. This thread is pretty humorous and clearly created with one intention when you consider that this game offers more, even much more, than the vast majority of subscription MMORPGs. It may just offer the most game, at launch, than any MMORPG to date.

Add on top of that the fact that the game was designed from the ground up to avoid or address most of the negatives of status quo MMORPG design and one can start to understand the frustration that lead to this thread and most of the negative comments here in. It' looks to be a broader and better game than the games people are paying a subscription to play, but there is no subscription fee to play it. GW2 not only redefines the MMORPG genre, but it makes many fans of every subscription based MMORPG out there feel like they are being ripped off by their game of choice!

Of course, there must be something wrong with GW2. Some flaw that they can point at to justify what appears to be a huge disparity in value, which just leads to a lot of grasping at straws and self deluding misinformation.

At least they can fall back on their game of choice for grindy, linear, quest hub driven game play and endless "end game" gear inflation treadmills. Arenanet had to leave a niche or two for other games you know, as no game can be everything for everybody, (though GW2 seems to offer much for most).

Buy to Play would have sent ripples through the genre even if paired with a some what less than full AAA MMORPG offering. That the game appears to take on the best subscription based titles in the space and looks very good in comparison might just mean those ripples become a tsunami.

I often ask "Exactly what does your subscription based MMO offer that GW2 doesn't offer just for the box price"? Well?

An excellent reply.

Incredibly I have seen a number of posts in which people actually want the game to have a subscription fee. A lot of people have become extremely comfortable with being ripped off to the point where they actually avidly support it. GW2 may very well highlight this for them. I think a lot of people are not going to like the way that makes them feel about the current games they have "dedicated their souls too". They just dont want things to change, even when it's for the better.

I think you are correct. I think the final question you presented is going to make a lot of people feel a bit cheated by the other mmos with subscription fees......and so it should

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Aww - I almost pity you OP for not managing to grasp the paradigm shift.

All my pity aside: See you in GW2, but I am quite confident I won't miss you when you leave.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by Halandir

Aww - I almost pity you OP for not managing to grasp the paradigm shift.

All my pity aside: See you in GW2, but I am quite confident I won't miss you when you leave.

Yep and ArenaNet won't miss him either. Everyones a winner! image

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Z3R01

From experience people would leave in droves once they found out the game had zero progressive pve endgame content. 

Small man dungeons aren't enough. If they were Rift would still have 800k subs and SWTOR wouldn't be bleeding players atm.

Endgame is everything to the majority of the mmorpg community and GW2 has very little meaningful endgame content. 

A-net has gone out of their way to say they do not care if people stick with GW2 because they know the game has no reason for you to commit to it. THat's proof enough to me that the game is lacking in anytype of endgame content that traditional games have.

I'll still buy it because it doesn't have a sub and im sure many of you have said the same thing.

Well, have you seen the rabid Anet fan base?  They embrace everything about GW2, even the very crass cash shop.  If they are willing to pay $60 for a F2P style cash shop game, I have no doubt they would pay a subscription fee as well.  They are a very loyal crew.  In fact, if Anet added a subscription fee hordes of Anet fans would explain what a great idea it was an why having a $60 price tag, a very crass pay2win cash shop, AND a subscription fee was really the best possible thing Anet could do.

if they announced that, i would lose interest.

and even though i look forward to eventually trying the game, if i never played it, it wouldn't really bother me.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

If GW2 never releases, it will fail. Same logic ftw.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Vesavius

Small man dungeons aren't enough. If they were Rift would still have 800k subs and SWTOR wouldn't be bleeding players atm.

Endgame is everything to the majority of the mmorpg community and GW2 has very little meaningful endgame content. 

what do you call 'meaningful' endgame content?

Raids?

If so, then I'm with ANet. Screw 'meaningful' end game content that only a fraction of those that buy the game ever see. I will stick with playing for fun, not because I'm being driven to get on some hamster wheel.

Preach it, Brotha!

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

pver left the pve games to whine about a pvp game=fail.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm kind of jealous of all the people who've played endgame in GW2 enough to know what's there.

Oh wait.... you say they haven't?  

Ridiculous.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Eir_S

I'm kind of jealous of all the people who've played endgame in GW2 enough to know what's there.

Ridiculous.

you mean structured pvp and WvW?   youtube is that way -------------->

I've got the straight edge.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

It will be a HUGE success.  

The devs are pros and a class act.   In fact the game itself is a class act.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by Eir_S

Ridiculous.

Well, by the OP's definition of endgame content, he's right. He defined it, clearly, as "progressive group pve" or, in layman's terms, raids. 

Yeah, the pve raiding guilds will avoid this game. It will attract small group players who just do dungeon crawls all day, or join on the fly large scale group content with random strangers. Which just described a large amount of WoW's (as an example) pve players. Hardcore raiders exist in that game, but Deathwing kills on LFR are about 842343232 times the number of those on Heroic. Simple because most players want to run in, kill the boss, get a chance at the loot, and not have to deal with the grief and drama that "serious" raiding tends to incur.

TLDR: This game will (sigh, here come the flames) appeal to the casual PVE crowd. Which is great, cause there's a LOT of that crowd.

PVPers of all groups sizes, however, will find quit a lot to interest them. Although many will be turned off by the lack of open world, full loot pvp, I think WvWvW has strong appeal and there will be a crowd for the Battleground-style fights.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Originally posted by Zzad

From experience people would leave in droves once they found out the game had zero progressive pve endgame content. 

A-net has gone out of their way to say they do not care if people stick with GW2 because they know the game has no reason for you to commit to it. THat's proof enough to me that the game is lacking in anytype of endgame content that traditional games have.

I'll still buy it because it doesn't have a sub and im sure many of you have said the same thing.

Would you call Guild Wars Original a fail for not having "gear grinding " end game? No.

Actually is the part i love best of GW & GW2...getting ride off that stupid raid or leave bullsh*t!

I play MMos but when it comes to the Raid part...i just leave...

Sick of  the "get 20 ppl online...get rdy to raid...wipe...res...get rdy again...wipe...res...over and over and over and over...

uhhh how fun!  :/

Sounds like somebody needed to find a better guild.......

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Hm where have you been? do you not read any forums just post somehings from your own fantasy. If you follow the resent game release's you would know that lot of players,well most of them leav the game when it comes to the boring group/raid gear grinding endgame. That can not be couse the group/raid gear grinding gameplay is very fun thing to do, so get used to it you will see the most of the games in the future without those boring group/raid gameplay.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

From my experience less then 10% of a playerbase actually participates in end game raiding.  The overall vast majority of gamers in games likme WoW. SWToR or Rift spend the majority of their time doing 5 mans, PvP and overall having fun with solo stuff.

ANet has gone out of their way to make a game that caters to the main playerbase of MMOs but on top of that have added one of the best forms of PvP which is arguably the greatest form of PvP since the creation of the world in RvR 3 faction setup in its own zones.

You sir are one of the greatest trolls to ever post on this site because your total disregard to all things even remotely GW2 related is lacking substance and articulable defensible materials.

You'll buy it not because it doesnt have a sub (which I seriously doubt you will but I digress) it will because the game offers more content and a better experience then any themepark game to of came out since WoW.

You do realize that their is more to content then "HERP-A-DERP" Raidz are awesome!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

People should look to GW1. No updates, the population drops severely after the release of each campaign because they don't give signifigant content updates. Nothing was really ever added except they did try to balance skills.  GW2 is probably more of the same, you don't get content unless you buy it, be it by box expansions or however they decide to put it out.

Does not deserve a sub fee. Also does not warrant cash shop, the alternative to sub fees.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Betakodo

People should look to GW1. No updates, the population drops severely after the release of each campaign because they don't give signifigant content updates. Nothing was really ever added except they did try to balance skills.  GW2 is probably more of the same, you don't get content unless you buy it, be it by box expansions or however they decide to put it out.

Does not deserve a sub fee. Also does not warrant cash shop, the alternative to sub fees.

So you're saying GW2 is basically worth a box price and that's it?  We've already been over the cash shop, it's their way of raking in development funds like any MMO, and they give you the choice to pay or not pay, unlike a sub.  They'll make more money or less money than a sub game per month, but ultimately it's up to the players to decide whether it's worth it.  If I didn't know better, I would swear some people here head rival companies and want to see ANet fail.

This discussion has been closed.