Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Face it, WoW is finished

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

so, you think you can selfcast a scroll of resurection and then go directly to dragonsoul HC and complete it?

yea, if you think so, there is no progress, obviously.

blizz games have been about item grind and hardcore modes since diablo, a game that lived about 15 years or sth. and diablo 2 is still being played actually.... not by me, ut by some nerds :P

anyway, as said before, there is one thing that can kill a blizzard game, and that is a newed blizzard game :)

no need to like it, but that's just the way it is ^^

these kind of posts are being made for about 4 years now, think about it :)

maybe in a not too far feature, another poster will start a post just at the right time, when titan is comming out, and maybe, he will be right then.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

lol what a hater, wow is far from finished.. you should ask why peoples still keep paying 15$ pe month instead playing a f2p or b2p game. Figure it out...

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I hope it is, so devolopers of mmo's will stop copypasting wow's game systems etc into their game (Looks at bioware and Trion worlds) Would be nice for a dev team to try to actually do their own thing then just make yet another shitty clone of wow.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• lootdudehahalootdudehaha Member Posts: 8

to be honest, i don't see it, i m looking forward to the brand new expansion, MoP, i bet it is great, lol

• nichocage-yjnichocage-yj Member UncommonPosts: 19

it is too soon to talk about this, anyway, world of warcraft is a classic mmo, it won't die in all of a sudden.

Occupy SW. Occupy Goldshire. Go!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Mists of kung-fu panda will finish it off.  If they think that expansion will save it after the huge losses that cataclysm caused they are kidding themselves.

Now they are just milking whatever is left.  Most hardcore/progression guilds have quit and a lot of others will switch to guild wars 2.  All that will be left is a bunch of people who want everything without a challenge and blizzard will continue handing it to them.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by BribarianI

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.

Need gold?  Just buy a boe pet and sell it

Dont feel like leveling?  Buy yourself scroll of resurrection

What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.

There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

You realize that no mmo ever grows after 2-3 years they only shrink in player base.  I did a study one time and it showed that the average gamer moves on from said chosen mmo after 2-3 years (this was when it was UO, DAoC, EQ, SWG, WoW, Ryzom, games with much more depth than todays mmos) thats when burnout starts to set in and we look for something new and refreshing.  So, with that being said, WoW has pushed it to double that and it is time for them to release their new mmo information for the call of duty mmo they are making called the titan project.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Shouldnt OP treat the elderly with more respect :)

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

I have heard this exact same reasoning since Vanilla WoW.  "Wow is finished, Blizzard is finished," etc for 7 years. It has not happened yet and probably will not for years.  WoW may decline, but it is not just going to up and disapear OP. 

Furthermore, so long as there is a market for Themepark MMOs WoW will probably continue to exist. 

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

You heard it here first!

• bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

I hate to break it to you, but if everquest, dark age of camelot, ultima online,  and so on still arent dead and never had the population at here respective peaks  that wow has even now... this game isnt dieing any time soon... more like 10 years from now maybe.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by catplay

lol what a hater, wow is far from finished.. you should ask why peoples still keep paying 15$ pe month instead playing a f2p or b2p game. Figure it out...

Lots and lots of reasons. Everything from time invested in the game to nothing new enough being put out there yet.

Personally I think people are/where stupid for continuing to support WoW after they added a cosmetic cash shop. That was my one and only reason for leaving the game. I think by now I would have left due to burnout like alot of people have but there is still the chance I would be playing if not for greedyness on blizzards part. That said brilliant move on Blizzards part. They lost verry few subscribers over that deal and made millions from it.

To me though people still play WOW because its familiar, they have tons of time invested in thier characters, and there just hasnt been anything better in alot of peoples eyes. The only thing that could truly "kill" WoW is the Titan project. And if people are honest with themselves, depending on what the Titan project really is and its gameplay it could kill ALOT of MMO's when its announced/launched.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by xenogias

Lots and lots of reasons. Everything from time invested in the game to nothing new enough being put out there yet.

Personally I think people are/where stupid for continuing to support WoW after they added a cosmetic cash shop. That was my one and only reason for leaving the game. I think by now I would have left due to burnout like alot of people have but there is still the chance I would be playing if not for greedyness on blizzards part. That said brilliant move on Blizzards part. They lost verry few subscribers over that deal and made millions from it.

To me though people still play WOW because its familiar, they have tons of time invested in thier characters, and there just hasnt been anything better in alot of peoples eyes. The only thing that could truly "kill" WoW is the Titan project. And if people are honest with themselves, depending on what the Titan project really is and its gameplay it could kill ALOT of MMO's when its announced/launched.

Oh man, I thought WoW just had the mounts/pets you could buy. What else is in the cash shop? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Amjoco

Oh man, I thought WoW just had the mounts/pets you could buy. What else is in the cash shop? 

As far as I know thats all they sell. Which was to much for me. Mounts and pets are "cosmetic". I refused to pay a monthly fee then be asked to pay extra for things that should be in the game for free since I'm paying them monthly for the content. Thats all I ment by that.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

As far as I know thats all they sell. Which was to much for me. Mounts and pets are "cosmetic". I refused to pay a monthly fee then be asked to pay extra for things that should be in the game for free since I'm paying them monthly for the content. Thats all I ment by that.

Oh ya, good point I see what you mean. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

How do you kill something that has no life?

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Well, if you want to get technical about it. You're paying for monthly access to the game, and honestly not much more. Now they offer patches and added content throughout each expansion, mostly because it's customary and expected (plus it helps retain subs obviously). Anything in the cash shop doesn't have a direct impact on anything in game. Sure, it might be a bit greedy on Blizzard's part, but they are a business and want to make a quick profit (which they do from those pets and mounts).

At least a portion of the Panda pet's proceeds went towards the Japanese disaster from last year.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Everquest just went free to play, there are also dozens of MMOs making money, enough to stay on board. I think there's always a fan base for everything. 

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

The funny thing about doomsayers is that eventually, at some point, they will all be correct. Talk about hedging your bets.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

Originally posted by Meltdown

The funny thing about doomsayers is that eventually, at some point, they will all be correct. Talk about hedging your bets.

There isn't really any way that you can spin consistent subscriber losses in the hundreds of thousands. You can't spin massive net loss on one of the biggest content patches during the holiday season. The game IS dying and once we get into the next quarter, and those APs conclude, the losses will go through the roof again.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by Gazenthia

There isn't really any way that you can spin consistent subscriber losses in the hundreds of thousands. You can't spin massive net loss on one of the biggest content patches during the holiday season. The game IS dying and once we get into the next quarter, and those APs conclude, the losses will go through the roof again.

I don't notice a significant loss in people on any of the servers I play on. I actually have more friends playing again now, than a few months ago. The game isn't DYING, you don't understand the term dying do you? What constitutes a game dying? Having as many subs as any other mmorpg? Because in that case wow is the only mmo that isn't dead already.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

If having 10M+ subscribers is 'finished' then every MMO on the planet is doomed. :(

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.

What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.

There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

I enjoyed WoW in the past few years because of its convenience (Dungeon FInder, etc).  I do not consider it to be an mmorpg anymore, and moreso it has developed into the watered down overgrown behemoth of lights sounds and colors that it is today.  But it is far from dead.

When I first came to WoW in beta - I truly loved it.  Even with only 2 factions ,it was still so unique and fun to me.  Sadly, those days of fighting it out at Tarren Mill and Southshore are long over.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by Gazenthia

First, its already been said many times that the majority of those subs lost were in Asia, so if that affects you then awesome but that doesn't really matter to us here in NA.

Secondly, of course the game is going to experience what seems like "massive" losses it has at least 10 times more subs than any other western MMO ever.

Imagine, if an MMO only had 100 subs, they could lose 50 subs and it would be a massive loss right?! but the headline would look kinda silly to say XMMO lost 50 subs this month.

Now expand that into a realistic number, say 500k I think was a really respectable number of subs before WoW came along. If that game lost 50,000 subs that would be equal to 10% of their subs which would be the equivilant of WoW losing 1,000,000 subscribers at the 10million sub level.

Ya, the losses are happening, but is it a big deal? No, the truth is any other MMO that was out at the same time as WoW or even most that came out after WoW have died/started died/died on arrival or just never made any significant impact. WoW is on its 7th year is it? And even with these massive losses no other western MMO has yet to come close to touching its subscription numbers.

So if you don't like WoW thats fine, but even if the servers closed tomorrow it still ultimately won. The game sold, it sold and it made !@#$ loads of money blizzard could prly close it and sit around for the next 20 years and still be ahead financially than the other big MMO companies.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Pocahinha

just quoted for truth and fact

Too bad it stinks of half truth and little facts.

1) Scroll of Res only works once, on accounts that had been cancelled before March 4, 2012. So you cannot simply go out and buy yourself a scroll of res, unless you have a dead second account. Then you can only make ONE level 80 character with that. The account can only receive the scroll of res once. So no, scroll of res negates nothing.

2) The pet store pet that can be sold for gold, doesn't sell well and doesn't sell for as much as say Argent Tournament pets, or the rare drop pets. They are far too common in the economy to be lucrative at all.

3) So what if they bump Scroll of Res? Even if they allow for it to be used on accounts that received a scroll of res for the level 80, they will not out progress someone who is actually playing. They get green gear, and they won't be bump to 90 (because they weren't bumped to 85), and they get greens. Big deal. Does a level 80 scroll of res have all ilvl 403 gear in the current game? No.

At leas try to speak from a place of intelligence before making incorrect statements and flaunting them as facts.