Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game that started it all

tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Play for free. But not entirely accurate, right?

Anyone seen the new D&D Online banner on this website? Does it mean it got the ball rolling for tripple A MMORPG's to go free to play? Free to play MMORPG's have been around for a long while, long before D&D Online F2P arrived, but I always regarded them to be low standard MMORPGs. D&D Online however is a brilliant MMORPG, I enjoyed it much more than LOTRO and it made the F2P system something to be regarded with seriousness. Quality MMORPG's can employ this system and make a nice profit.

It's thanks to D&D Online I can now enjoy Everquest II and World of Tanks without spending a penny. And I can look forward to future MMORPG's which will use F2P. Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2!

But enough about repeating what we all know. Do Turbine think they started F2P, or does it mean they made AAA MMORPG's take the F2P system seriously?

Cheers.

Comments

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by tachgb

It's thanks to D&D Online I can now enjoy Everquest II and World of Tanks without spending a penny. And I can look forward to future MMORPG's which will use F2P. Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2!

But enough about repeating what we all know. Do Turbine think they started F2P, or does it mean they made AAA MMORPG's take the F2P system seriously?

Cheers.

Turbine does marketing, you should google it. D&D concept from pen&paper era is considered to the be the pioneer, if not the "first". Thats what they refer to

Also "I can now enjoy xxxx without spending a penny". You are the reason why games suck.

DDO is a MORPG, forget the Massive.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Anyone seen the new D&D Online banner on this website? Does it mean it got the ball rolling for tripple A MMORPG's to go free to play? Free to play MMORPG's have been around for a long while, long before D&D Online F2P arrived, but I always regarded them to be low standard MMORPGs. D&D Online however is a brilliant MMORPG, I enjoyed it much more than LOTRO and it made the F2P system something to be regarded with seriousness. Quality MMORPG's can employ this system and make a nice profit.

Cheers.

I think it's referring to Dungeons & Dragons generally, rather than DDO specifically.

Dodgy marketing.

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

I think it's referring to Dungeons & Dragons generally, rather than DDO specifically.

Dodgy marketing.

^This

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    I gathered it was a reference to D & D pen and paper being the game that started it all.

Many early MUDS and CRPGs could be seen as attempts to bring the pen and paper experience to the computer screen.

It's a campaign slogan that Wizards of the Coast has used to promote the 4th edition of PnP as well.

In a sense, I think you're right though. Weren't they the first major "free" to play?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Eluwien

Cheers.

Turbine does marketing, you should google it.

Also "I can now enjoy xxxx without spending a penny". You are the reason why games suck.

DDO is a MORPG, forget the Massive.

True, but they spend most of the money for LOTRO.  I actually seen a few DDO banners here a few years back but LOTRO banners are common.

DDO is a CORPG, nothing else, just like GW and STO.

And yeah, leeching might not be the perfect reason to select a game.

Still, DDO was the first Western game with any kind of quality that went F2P. Before we just had low budget games like Last chaos and Rappelz.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Alcuin

I gathered it was a reference to D & D pen and paper being the game that started it all.

Many early MUDS and CRPGs could be seen as attempts to bring the pen and paper experience to the computer screen.

It's a campaign slogan that Wizards of the Coast has used to promote the 4th edition of PnP as well.

In a sense, I think you're right though. Weren't they the first major "free" to play?

The problem is, they went F2P (like so many others) because they failed to profit as a sub-based game, which they were originally.

Originally posted by Alcuin

No, they were "buy to play" just like Guildwars. You buy the books you need and then you play without any additional fees ('cept Coke and pizza).

Tha besic rules of 3rd/D20 was open source though so you could download the really basics for free and even base your game on it without paying money.

4th edition is something I don´t want to discuss at all, yuck. There is a reason that Pathfinder now are outselling D&D even in the US and more and more RPG groups move over to it.

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

The problem is, they went F2P (like so many others) because they failed to profit as a sub-based game, which they were originally.

Yeah, but that was really Guildwars fault. It delivered a similar experience for a lot less cash.

DDO would had to been a lot better game to get the CORPG players when it cost so much more. Just look on the games subscription curve, you can see the dip after GW released. When 2 similar games are out people often choose the cheapest (even though I have to admit that while i like DDO I think GW actaully is more fun).

When it became F2P the game instead become the cheaper alternative, but once people become hooked they wont mind buying stuff.

CORPGs doesn´t really work as P2P, STO also became F2P pretty fast. 

It will be interesting to see if GW2 will have the same effect on MMOs as GW had on CORPGs. .)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Yeah, but that was really Guildwars fault. It delivered a similar experience for a lot less cash.

DDO would had to been a lot better game to get the CORPG players when it cost so much more. Just look on the games subscription curve, you can see the dip after GW released. When 2 similar games are out people often choose the cheapest (even though I have to admit that while i like DDO I think GW actaully is more fun).

When it became F2P the game instead become the cheaper alternative, but once people become hooked they wont mind buying stuff.

CORPGs doesn´t really work as P2P, STO also became F2P pretty fast. 

It will be interesting to see if GW2 will have the same effect on MMOs as GW had on CORPGs. .)

I think GW was the better game in certain aspects. I think they did things like the Ranger class much better in GW.

DDO pretty mucvh went F2P as a last chance before cancelling the game. The move worked and today I think DDO is better off finacially for it. That said I left DDO and do not see myself going back because of many of the changes that happened since the F2P move. Its no longer the game I once enjoyed.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

I still play AD&D now and then, when we can all get away from our families for a few hours, even 30+ years after I started playing. You're right about 4th edition, it's for the mmorpg generation, 3.5 is the best system, to me Pathfinder is just AD&D lite for people who can't be bothered to create a campaign world.

As for the OP, you should do your research.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by Matt_UK

I still play AD&D now and then, when we can all get away from our families for a few hours, even 30+ years after I started playing. You're right about 4th edition, it's for the mmorpg generation, 3.5 is the best system, to me Pathfinder is just AD&D lite for people who can't be bothered to create a campaign world.

Don't be so smug, perhaps you should read his actual original post. He was asking at the end to clarify, and the advertisement itself is misleading in nature.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Cheers.

Maybe it was the first DnD IP MMO or maybe it's based on the first RPG that became popular or maybe it's the first F2P to be openly accepted in NA.. who knows. With the exception of maybe one or two threads here or there on vet forums, no one will care or even question what "it" is. From a marketing standpoint, it's beautiful in its simplicity.

Get it? ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

Originally posted by Decadentia

Originally posted by Matt_UK

Don't be so smug, perhaps you should read his actual original post. He was asking at the end to clarify, and the advertisement itself is misleading in nature.

Don't be so patronising, perhaps you should read his post again. He has no idea pencil and paper D&D existed which is why he's confused and asking for clarification. But he's trying to be a smart arse in my opinion and argue against the claim from a false premise, because he knows nothing about the background to D&D. Yes the advertising is misleading, but only if you don't realise they are referring to D&D; so he shows his ignorance by even asking the question on here.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Eluwien

Cheers.

maybe i didnt understand correctly but are you saying the reason why games suck is because of playing without paying?.... The last time i saw an mmo that charged money after purchase and didnt suck was when WoW still was not old yet already a mammoth. All post WoW mmos to date are destined to be very successful as Hybrid f2p. So no, paying more money for a game doesnt make it better game anymore. Those times are long gone at least until new developers (or old ones) learn to do the right thing without screwing it with bad management. We've all seen the proof lately.